User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2009, 05:27 PM   #781
breathe_fire
wander farther

Oddometer: 1
Pissed thank you

I found the thread yesterday and read all of it.

Thank you for taking away my excuses about having enough time, the right bike, the right destination.

I'm subscribed and looking forward to the continuing saga.
Old 12-25-2009, 01:42 AM   #782
Goran69
MNE

Oddometer: 836
It took me couple of days to read this. Couple of days because I would read a page and then came back to it in the morning because of the writing and the pics.

Chi....thank you....not so many people like you around...and many that would like to be like you...me first...

One of the best around......and you know what...until you give more I will read it again
Goran69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 10:51 AM   #783
JaxObsessed
RushMoran....... :D

Oddometer: 12,616
Thanks man! excellent photos.

Oh.. and I'm a fan of your writing too. (see sig line)
JaxObsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 08:23 PM   #784
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 46,034

Old 01-24-2010, 10:35 PM   #785
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,346
Yeah, isn't it about time for an update?
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 01:45 AM   #786
Goran69
MNE

Oddometer: 836
Yeah......I would like to see it soon pls !!! Hope all is OK.
Goran69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 09:28 AM   #787
Marco Moto
Voyager

Oddometer: 1,213
Old 01-27-2010, 09:55 AM   #788
Esteen
990 Adv Gasgas EC300

Oddometer: 54
Sweet

Dude this is one adventures ride. Im only at page 7 but really into it..
While I read I listen some music and I think it really fits your RR.
Think you might like it, lots of dropp D notes . Its a Swedish band called Deville.http://www.myspace.com/devilleband enjoy!!
Esteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 03:20 PM   #789
Lost Rider OP
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,161
It's About Time

Tomorrow is the day I started this story last year.
Nations have fallen, wars fought, loved one's have passed, new friends made, love found then lost, and yet life goes on.

I find myself sitting right where I was one year ago to the day, next to my bike in a far away land wondering what today will bring.
It's ironic that the time I'm finally prepared to continue the journey falls on the anniversary on the beginning of this story. I didn't plan it like that.
Life has been tough lately.

Newfoundland, the town of St. Anthony.

This is the first American settlement - the Vikings. Why did they teach us that Christopher Columbus "discovered" America all this time?

At this point it was 50 and raining, the settlement park closed as I was walking up so I didn't get to check it out.

Slightly disappointed I set out looking for a place to camp

Light fading fast, cold and wet and slightly down I didn't feel so adventurous and went to the nearest campground.

The next day the weather had cleared once again and I set out, stopping along the way in various small towns to take it all in.

No fly rod with me this time, so no fishing....

Chip Van, or Snack Shack, whatever they like to call it, the island was dotted with these convenient and delicious places to eat fresh (fried) seafood.
Hmmmm fried goodness......

Some of the few fellow riders I met, on a ride from Nova Scotia.

And then I met Bull.... maybe it was Bill - hard to tell with the accent.
Such an interesting fellow. Been riding far longer than I've been alive, and from his stories he's been everywhere on two wheels. It's a shame I didn't record video of him because without his voice and accent ( french-canadian/ thick scottish) it's hard to communicate the short time we hung out that I enjoyed very much so.

Here's where I forget which bike I was on and decided to ride the T-Rail, an abandoned RR track that you can ride most of the length of Newfoundland.

While it started out easy, it quickly turned to deep gravel. Slightly challenging with my 17" front wheel... but fun none the less! For a moment I wished I was on my GS. For a moment.

Shit.

I've always found it scary to be under a dam, mind wandering about the forced being applied to the cement, etc... but it was cool and interesting at the same time trying to find a way through.

Double shit.

At one point I was clearly reminded of the limits of my plastic pannier... when one when flying off and rolled past me on a rough section. Maybe I should take it easy and not break my bike!

After a day with would have been a light DS ride on a DS bike I found this cove to camp in. Nobody around. Perfect.
Normally I would not post so many photo's of one site, but the sky was that blue, the starts that bright and the water that calm. A special place.

The next morning it was wet with dew, very wet...

But incredibly calm, peaceful and beautiful.

The day continued with many colors and surprises

This is where I have to give credit where credit is due.
While on tour with Incubus I stumbled across THIS ride report by sukurama. His excellent ride and amazing photo's greatly inspired me to visit Newfoundland. In particular, this campsite he found near Twillingate called to me to enjoy.
So that's where these following photo's are taken. Please excuse me, but I loved this place greatly so there's lots of photo's.

The place was an abandoned campground/park/old fishing camp that you could still enjoy, without services or paying. perfect.

Being there quite early in the day I spent some time exploring past the campsite on some marked "hiking" trails.

I did ride past a few hikers, who just smiled and waived at me on my road bike on their trails. Got to love Newfoundland!

Here's a little video of some of the riding I was doing - great fun!

After this took place, I was once again warned I was pushing my luggage too far. This time instead of the pannier coming off it came open, and would not lock closed. Shit.

I made it back to the place to camp and laid out all my wet gear, settling in for the day. I needed to fix my bike, and really just wanted to hang out here and not ride anymore today. Why wouldn't I with this view?

Fixing the bag, I'd never been in here, jeeze there's a lot of mechanisms to break. It says something impressive about the design really, considering what I've put them through in the last few years.

While wandering in the forest looking for fire wood I stepping in a hidden mudhole. Quite a strange sensation!

See my campsite way up there?
Hands down my favorite of all time!

There were only a few people around all day, locals picking these berries. they didn't taste all that good raw, but I was told they are delicious when canned.

As the sun started to go down, I settle in and started dinner - it was pasta night with a nice bottle of wine, some music playing, and nothing could be better.

Cheers to all of you!

It was at this moment I lost it.
You manly men laugh all you want.

The wine, a little pot, the music, the smells, the sounds, the colors, the ocean breeze. My life right now.
It overtook me like I didn't know anything could, I cried, literally falling down. I was unaware, but the emotions of my life all came out. Happy tears, sad tears, grateful tears. So I let it all out and cried. It's actually hard to publicly share and write about it, as the vivid memories come back. When I finally calmed down I couldn't help but laugh at myself.

This was the moment when I felt most ALIVE to date in my life.

And when I thought it couldn't get any better after eating a delicious meal, a stunning full moon rose over the hills.

I had a decision to make.
Continue to Labrador and ride a long shitty dirt road with no choice of direction but forward (something I thought I should do on my R) or head back south to meet up with a girl I had become involved with on my last tour....

Like the last night of my Alaska trip spent in Montana before I did the iron butt home, I felt that I had reached the pinnacle of this trip and had enough of the kind of travel one road journeys bring so I decided to go south.

The next day was greeted with blue sky's and this fisherman doing his thing

More fried goodness for lunch

After a hell of a long day of "spirited" riding I arrived in Port Aux Basques to catch the evening ferry

Another delicious greasy meal at the ferry terminal - got to love the gravy fries!

A fellow ADV'r, sorry I don't have my notes with me and I forgot your name!

yes they do

Light from the fading town on the left, moonlight on the right, lights in the background in an arch from the rolling of the ship. Good times.

guess who? Bull ( or bill, could never tell) was on the same ferry!
We hung out in the lounge, watching a one man entertainment show, I had a few scotches while he had water.... after a little while he asked if I wanted to go have a smoke... of course I could use a cigarette.
Once outside he pulled out a nice joint and said, eh?
Why yes, I really dig the people in this part of the world!

Luckily I secured a bunk and slept well.

The next day my goal was Boston - quite a ride for one day from North Sydney, but I was highly motivated...

I threw down, put caution to the wind and railed on it all day

I made it to Boston!

This is where I will be limiting the story...

Long story short, I then went to NYC to for a day to meet up with a friend and fellow adv'r, themanfromars and walked around.

Coming from Twillingate to here was like being dropped on another planet... I love the contrasts of life.

Some dinner in soho, it was fashion week so things were quite crazy

If the Warriors would just go spend some time up the way in Newfoundland, this world would be a better place I feel.

Martini anyone?

Nothing like parking in the heart of Manhattan.... talk about throwing caution to the wind!

Everything turned out OK... the next day

The following photos were taken by themanfromars:

The cops liked the Roadster!

Out of NYC, and back north to Maine....

The following part of my trip is just for me and won't be shared. sorry.

Back in chicago

Fast forward 3 months... the brutal, painful, sleep deprived TSO tour... and put me 60 feet up working in the grid...

Just hanging around

Struggling to keep some sanity with the daily challenges we still had fun!

Forward to a tragic start to the new year, personal drama, loss, professional drama, health, finances, etc.
Once I got myself together enough to leave home, I did what must be done to find myself again - GO FOR A RIDE!!!!!!!!!!!

This time I have a new mode of transportation - to add to my bike...
A FeatherCraft folding sit on top sea Kayak!
With the kind help from ADV's own Erica728, using her house as my jump off point into the abyss all geared up for some new adventures.

South.

There's not many photo's from the ride here, I blasted down Baja in 2 days to La Paz.

As a matter of fact, this is the only one, a shot from in my hotel room.

This photo was taken by Chiwawa, a 85 year old world travel photographer I've been hanging with most mornings at the cafe' since I've been here. He does stuff for the local paper for fun, and is featuring me and my story about riding a motorbike with a Kayak to visit La Paz. I'm going to be famous!

before

after

OK, some random La Paz photo's to get me all caught up once and for all!

Taking full advantage of my friend's hospitality, the ADV legend kpick, we've some quality man-panion time down here, fishing, drinking, doing blow, hookers, strippers, sexy grandmas, gambling, and watching movies together.

good times.

j/k...

the man himself, does he look gay?

I guess I shouldn't talk with that hat on.....

He's quite the fisherman!

me fishing,
kevin who's the jack of all trades is also an amazing photographer. (shooting with my fancy camera doesn't hurt either...)

Chiwawa

some canadian visiter's who wanted to pose for the camera during "the shoot".

This is 19 year old German girl named Lucia has been traveling abroad solo for 7 months now.... quite an interesting girl! I took her for her first bike ride, she enjoyed riding on the fine German machine!

And then there's jailbait at the bait store.... oh wait this is Mexico.

And finally, the star of the show!

I'm leaving here soon, some warm sun, blue water, and great company has helped me immensely bounce back.
I'm going to take a little more time to ride up, get to LA, regroup, drop off the boat, grab my camping gear and GET IN MOTION!

Stay tuned fellow adventurers, this should be a good year...

LostRider.com

Lost Rider screwed with this post 01-28-2010 at 11:21 PM
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 04:20 PM   #790
Stravoxylo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 292

that's one hell of an update man!

As always the story & photos make me want drop everything and hit the road. Moments such as what you experienced by a full moon in Newfoundland, are what make the hard work worth it.

Alas, as I'm 9 hours into my 10th 12+hour day in a row, riding will have to wait until the current project is built, and the greenbacks are resting comfortably in the account.... ready to be set free all over the country... maybe Newfoundland, maybe Baja.... maybe both!

Ride on & have a blast!
Stravoxylo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 04:52 PM   #791
ElJorgio
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
simply awesome, that kayak is pretty badass (portable), i'll have to look into that.! looking forward to more of your adventures
Old 01-27-2010, 05:28 PM   #792
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,839
Nice to see you at it again. I love reading your threads.

Yellow Tail rocks..I like every thing they make.
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 05:30 PM   #793
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,346
Wow. You've apparently been through some shit. Glad you're still keeping on.

Hope to see you on the roads in SoCal.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 06:39 PM   #794
SRMN8R
Down & Out

Oddometer: 2,992
Missed ya man!

It's good to have you back.

SRMN8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 10:28 PM   #795
Lost Rider OP
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,161
Thanks guys, it's nice to be back right where I'm at. Your support and kind words give me fuel for the fire...
Yeti, I'll be rolling through your neck of the woods sunday or monday... pm me for my SPOT track link if you'd like, maybe we can have coffee or something.

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote