Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2011, 06:46 PM   #1216
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,714
I believe the point of his philosophy is lost on some... it is not to expose others as sheep but to inspire everyone to live their true dreams. If your true dream is to have a family and a house go for it but some of us want more... and might need a swift kick in the ass to get motivated!

Ride on Finn!
EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 08:29 PM   #1217
Adventure Trio
Wandering

Oddometer: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post
Deto, that is a very nice compliment, I didn't really set out to try and change the world with my little motorcycle stories, but as time has passed it's been pretty clear what my life is about, and I guess has become "the message".

Life is short, I say don't waist your time on things that don't bring you real happiness, and while I like my work, it's just that - work. Not my life or who I am, just a means to a lifestyle I enjoy. I could buy a big house, but that's not what matters to me, and it would take time and money away from my travels and all the stuff that goes with it.
I have a few friends who were so excited when they got into debt for a house, like they have "made it" in life because someone would loan them a pile of money. Anyways, these same people don't own their house, it owns them.
Stuck in a job, or an area because of "the House".

I say it's all a scam.

The government, or church or whomever feeding it into your head since you're little about what "people are supposed to do" to be respectful citizens.

go to college, get in debt.

get married, have kids, buy a house, get in more debt.

then you have to have 3 cars, a boat, an RV, a vacation cabin,, 2 dogs, 5 plasma HD surround sound TV's, 4 refrigerators all over your big house, then you've shown the greedy world you've Made It.

By this time you've hit the wall with your job, will never make much more money, are in debt up to your ears, your once hot wife is now a fat slob who hasn't sucked your dick in years.

Those years spend watching TV, and cable news, getting bombarded with fear and hate, drama and violence has you afraid to lock everything around you up, with the very best of state of the art security that money can buy.

No thank you.

Quality time while I'm healthy, spent with good people, doing what I want, working as little as possible, riding as much as possible.
I'm the weirdo in society, but I'll take it.

Just as I've been inspired by many people on ADV, maybe the Own Less Live More campaign that Kevin came up with, and I'm living by, can spread around....

Shoot, I really need to pack.
Well said Finn-

My wife and I have been together since we were 18, we are 41 now and a great team. We spent our 20's doing everything but enjoying life....working too much, no travel, very little vacation, buying a house, etc, etc.

It wasn't until our son was born at age 31 that I decided to get living. My wife was always pushing me to do so but I was reluctant. From 31 forward we have been making up for lost time and are having a blast. Hoping our son learns the right way so he has balance as he grows up.

Most of my neighbors fall in to the category you describe here. Most are miserable and we are the odd man out in our neighborhood. We are criticized for only having one kid, taking off to travel, not over committing and generally making it look too easy....it's not. We have purged many things we don't need and continually downsizing. I didn't see the orgin of "own less, live more" but it is a montra we have been living for a few years now.

Be well and safe travels,

-Terry
Adventure Trio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 06:10 AM   #1218
shaweetz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 215
Thanks for sharing the latest ride, dig the writeups and photos a lot. Also love seeing the latest camp gear and gadgets in action... that gravity feed filter looks like it beats the hell out of pumping water for 1/2 hour...

I don't know if you did a rebuild thread for STB post-crash, but now I have to remember how to search...

Can't wait for the rest!
shaweetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 09:43 AM   #1219
izzyblue
LOST

Oddometer: 61
Hello everyone...

I did it! My first big big adventure and I managed to keep the shiny side of my bike up, well, most of the time!:loll

Thank you all for the nice encouragements and thank you so much Kevin for taking such good care of my bike and taking it out there for me...big difference from the TW huh? Big hug for you!

What a trip we had... I still can't believe all the beautiful things I've seen and experienced... I haven't stopped smiling since I left. You will see on the photos. Thank you Finn....

Well off the work so I can dream and plan for the next big adventure!

~ Nancy

It was nice meeting you fellows in Moab as well.... Thanks for the good tips!
izzyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 11:16 AM   #1220
DCrider
Live from THE Hill

Oddometer: 4,008
congrats IB, glad ur home safe, yes back to work SUX, but as they say, gotta pay to play
Old 09-16-2011, 02:30 PM   #1221
Goran69
MNE

Oddometer: 834
Well at least there is someone that can ride with Finn when I cant.....
Goran69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 03:02 PM   #1222
RAZR
yup ima hairstylist

Oddometer: 8,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by izzyblue View Post
Hello everyone...

I did it! My first big big adventure and I managed to keep the shiny side of my bike up, well, most of the time!:loll

Thank you all for the nice encouragements and thank you so much Kevin for taking such good care of my bike and taking it out there for me...big difference from the TW huh? Big hug for you!

What a trip we had... I still can't believe all the beautiful things I've seen and experienced... I haven't stopped smiling since I left. You will see on the photos. Thank you Finn....

Well off the work so I can dream and plan for the next big adventure!

~ Nancy

It was nice meeting you fellows in Moab as well.... Thanks for the good tips!
awesome!!!!!
can't wait to see all the rad pics you guys took!!!
RAZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 08:47 AM   #1223
VikB
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 460
Great trip journals. I'm reading them out of order!

Quick question - how did you mount a Pelcian case to your tank on both your BMWs?...

Keep up the great work....

Vik...
www.klr650blog.com
I didn't done the doo!
VikB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 08:57 AM   #1224
VikB
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikB View Post
Great trip journals. I'm reading them out of order!

Quick question - how did you mount a Pelcian case to your tank on both your BMWs?...

Keep up the great work....
Found my own answer here for anyone else that was interested:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=255186

Vik...
www.klr650blog.com
I didn't done the doo!
Old 09-19-2011, 04:41 PM   #1225
VikB
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
It's tough leading such a hard life...

Vik...
www.klr650blog.com
I didn't done the doo!
Old 09-20-2011, 08:26 AM   #1226
DetoX68
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
Uhhh, Dino, your computer is overreacting.......
DetoX68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 08:41 AM   #1227
dino2000
No Bad Daze

Oddometer: 1,336
Indeed it has. My apologies.
dino2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 08:55 AM   #1228
larryboy
Leisurely Liar

Oddometer: 13,852
Quote:
I love you too Dino!

You're one of the family man I admire most, and I'm not trying to say being a family man is a scam.

Getting caught up with work, and aquiring more material things to try and fill a persons life with meaning is a scam.

I get what you're saying...YOU would be fawked if you continued down the path of aquiring.
Old 09-20-2011, 12:17 PM   #1229
shaweetz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 215
Nope, he's clearly making a statement about other people.

That people -- many people, not all people -- buy into what is essentially a scam. Someone is going to claim with a straight face that there aren't legions out there who are way over their heads in debt (and hence servitude) playing a game that is designed to line someone else's pockets?

The man clearly has no problems with the acquisition of the latest gadgets or anything that pleases him. He is just exceptionally good at getting rid of them when the magic is gone. Now that is an inspiration, the recognition that when you are buying 'stuff', you are in fact renting moments. When the moment has passed, your stuff is now worthless.

This sucks, basement fodder. More photos! More tales!
shaweetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 01:20 PM   #1230
DetoX68
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaweetz View Post
Nope, he's clearly making a statement about other people.

That people -- many people, not all people -- buy into what is essentially a scam. Someone is going to claim with a straight face that there aren't legions out there who are way over their heads in debt (and hence servitude) playing a game that is designed to line someone else's pockets?

The man clearly has no problems with the acquisition of the latest gadgets or anything that pleases him. He is just exceptionally good at getting rid of them when the magic is gone. Now that is an inspiration, the recognition that when you are buying 'stuff', you are in fact renting moments. When the moment has passed, your stuff is now worthless.

This sucks, basement fodder. More photos! More tales!
Can he sell my sailboat for me, I can't get rid off the damn thing.
DetoX68 is online now   Reply With Quote