Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2004, 10:30 PM   #1
meat popsicle OP
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,132
My first ride report

updated image links...

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.

meat popsicle screwed with this post 06-09-2008 at 11:47 AM Reason: bad title
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 10:53 PM   #2
meat popsicle OP
Ignostic

OK, OK, ride report...

Just checkin my image hosting service. HTTP protocol works!

I recently bought a KTM 640 Adventure. I have been buzzing around town, commuting and such and it is a very nice bike. I have also run up into the hills around S. SF Bay (Hwy 9 etc.) and chased roadbikes. No problems there either. Very impressive. But what about a long road trip?

Well my brother in law was heading down to the family get-together on his uncle's 04 HD Springer Softtail, which he is babysitting (long story). Quite the motley crew eh?

He asked if I would ride with him. "All the way to Cayucos? Sure!" So thanks to some route ideas from Tom at Moore and Sons in Santa Cruz off we went. After a little breakfast at a place I have forgotten (in Hollister...) we were stopping in at Pinnacles NM (my little phone camera doesn't do anything justice - but it was free and its all I have now):

Then on down Hwy 25 (the only nice way south east of 101) and then Peach Tree Road for lots of this:

The road was split on Hwy 25, then just a thin strip of pavement on Peach Tree (very nice in comparison to bombing down 101). Stopped in San Miguel for a bite at an old place there on the main strip. The fare was what you would expect but I appreciate where I am when I can remember to:

The mission in San Miguel is still being repaired so not much to see there.

A bit of 101 then off at San Marcos Road (very nice) and Chimney Rock Road (also nice but some potholes that the HD springer did not like! Then back to Adeladia to Vineyard to Hwy 46 for a spell down to Old Creek Road. All of these are great pavement roads. But nothing compared to what I would try after loosing the HD later in the week.

meat popsicle screwed with this post 06-09-2008 at 11:56 AM Reason: updating image links
Old 08-24-2004, 11:07 PM   #3
meat popsicle OP
Ignostic

Solo, DS roads

Now remember I am a new DS rider so don't expect too much, well until I get in over my head in an unmarked (private? legal?) OHV park above Cayucos...

First up was trying out some other roads that lead to dirt. Here is a bit of Santa Rosa Creek Road outa Cambria:

nice

shade is good

Top of da world baby!

Ok, then finally to some dirt at Cypress Mountain Road that goes to a mining town named Klau. The start was hairy steep washouts but I was preoccupied and didn't snap any evidence. Probably easy enough but I take baby steps, especially with my new bike.

Then some easy stuff:

I guess nothing to write home about. But I enjoyed the solitude.

meat popsicle screwed with this post 06-09-2008 at 12:14 PM Reason: updating image links
Old 08-24-2004, 11:16 PM   #4
meat popsicle OP
Ignostic

more nice pavement, then some more dirt

Klau Mine is a unimpressive decomposing ramble of mine stuff, and there is no town. So down Klau Mine Road, which is paved and short. On to Adelaide Road to Paso Robles:

plenty of oak savannah:

Then right through Paso Robles and some questioning to find Peachy Canyon Road (take something besides a regional map and you should be fine). Adelaide Road is split and a screamer, Peachy Canyon is another unsplit twister. Gotta remember to slow down on tight, blind corners. Never cut corners... might meet a Volvo station wagon coming the other way! Luckily I remembered and missed...

The best idea I had of the half day trip was to sneak over to Santa Rita Road, which connects to Old Creek above the reservoir:

Starts off paved then goes dirt down along the floodplain:

If you come in the rainy season it says "road unpassable in wet weather" - sounds like a challenge to me! But it was dry as a bone in August.

Then some more dirt:

And back to Cayucos. Next, after buzzing down to Morro Bay for a little internet cafe time, I came back and found the secret garden above Cayucos...

meat popsicle screwed with this post 06-09-2008 at 12:19 PM
Old 08-24-2004, 11:30 PM   #5
meat popsicle OP
Ignostic

Cayucos OHV Park

Never heard of it? Well I named it b/c it wasn't labeled. Locals probably call it something; let's see if they sound off. On Hwy 1 north, take the first Cayucos exit, then almost go straight but jog to the right a little (as if turning towards the dam) and head up a No Outlet type street. The sign says county maintained road ends in 1500 feet... and a little dirt road to:

MADNESS!!!

ah, nice view if you stop to look:

the trails go that a way but I didn't go thru the impromptu fence opening:

See the trail in the upper right that crests the hill and drops back down?

That is the top of this mess:

Rutted dirt that transitions into crumbling rock near vertical!!! Then a tabletop before on the other side (pic above). I refrained from destroying myself.

Trails-galore (who woulda thought?):

I think this one led to the top of the mountain, but more fence openings...

WTF have I gotten myself into!?!?!?

I haven't ridden so slow since I was on a bike with training wheels. I don't even think trials riders could go slower (but they keep their feet up...)

Here's to my bright idea to test myself in the fire:

A quick bomb up Hwy 1 to Monterey - no one needs pics of that right? - then a beer and a crawl alongside traffic back into Santa Cruz and a bomb over Hwy 17 back home!

meat popsicle screwed with this post 06-09-2008 at 12:29 PM
Old 08-26-2004, 05:24 PM   #6
meat popsicle OP
Ignostic

Did I say something wrong? Where's the love?

Old 08-26-2004, 05:37 PM   #7
Dick
Its a big old goofy world

Oddometer: 31,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle
Did I say something wrong? Where's the love?
You need to clean the lense on your camera or take it out of the bucket of water.

Other then that - nice report - some great roads in that area
Originally Posted by turkish
Einstein knew more about physics than the Pope knows about God.
Save some bux - use my Smugmug referral code: mIRMxjzAScHII
Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 05:38 PM   #8
Bart
Constant Lurker

Oddometer: 2,950
Don't be so hard on yourself. Maybe you need to crash and scratch the new bike. That is the real initiation into Adventure riding!

Great report, time to buy a real Camera though. I imagine the colours would be vibrant with a decent camera.

Bart
Old 08-27-2004, 05:53 AM   #9
meat popsicle OP
Ignostic

Ahh, so the pic quality is too lacking? Gotcha. Those are taken with a Nokia camera phone. I think they are about 1MP...

I am more bummed that no Central Coast riders have found this and talked about that mess of trails right above Cayucos. I thought that was weird for a place where land is $$$.

My thought was to mention some of those roads around that area; they were worth the trip in an of themselves!

Old 08-27-2004, 06:30 AM   #10
bavarian
bavarian

Oddometer: 1,766
Looks cool! Nice report - do us a favour and buy yourself a decent camera.
bavarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 08:43 AM   #11
meat popsicle OP
Ignostic

Announcement

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarian
Looks cool! Nice report - do us a favour and buy yourself a decent camera.
bavarian has graciously accepted to chair a fund drive to buy me a decent digital camera. please keep your eyes open for a new thread with donation information. DIG DEEP, I want a Digital SLR with a few lenses...

alternatively, if you have a decent one and want to donate it please PM me for my address.

Old 08-27-2004, 08:51 AM   #12
DoctorIt
vrooom!

Oddometer: 5,679
Those really aren't bad pics for a camera phone at all. When you think that the glass on one of those would fit on your pinky nail, its pretty good. As you must know, good pics come from good glass. So I ain't donating shit , but if you want a nice cheap pocket sized digicam, I have a 3mp Sony DSC-P1 for sale.

Nice ride, cool bike man, keep it up.

Oh, and I must have missed it... what happened to the dude on the Harley when you hit all those dirt roads???
Old 08-27-2004, 09:09 AM   #13
meat popsicle OP
Ignostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorIt
Those really aren't bad pics for a camera phone at all. When you think that the glass on one of those would fit on your pinky nail, its pretty good. As you must know, good pics come from good glass. So I ain't donating shit , but if you want a nice cheap pocket sized digicam, I have a 3mp Sony DSC-P1 for sale.

Nice ride, cool bike man, keep it up.

Oh, and I must have missed it... what happened to the dude on the Harley when you hit all those dirt roads???
I want the Dig. SLR because I want one camera. But hauling a nice camera on a bike is a space hog so... I will dwell on this while boating around SF Bay today. Thanks for the offer!

You should have seen that Harley MXing around corners! I never thought a springer would take whooptys well, much less jumps... man what a machine.

(The Harley stayed at the beach while I explored the hills.)

Old 08-27-2004, 09:14 AM   #14
DoctorIt
vrooom!

Oddometer: 5,679
Quote:
I want the Dig. SLR because I want one camera. But hauling a nice camera on a bike is a space hog so... I will dwell on this while boating around SF Bay today. Thanks for the offer!
I love motorcycling and photography, but its hard making them mesh perfectly, at least on longer trips. I have a good gig bag for shorter trips so I can bring my Digi-Rebel, all my lenses, and assorted toys, but there just isn't room for longer trips. Especially once you get the bug and want this lens and that lens, and find it hard to leave any gear at home. I probably could travel with just the body and one good zoom, but its tough. I end up cutting my losses and bring my old standyby S100 digital elph on the long trips, fits in my pocket, and I can shoot with it while riding. Doesn't make great prints, but I figure I'm on the longer trip to ride, not do my best photography.

Just sayin, be careful with that digi SLR craving... it can destroy you!!!
Old 08-27-2004, 12:35 PM   #15
bavarian
bavarian

Oddometer: 1,766
Quote:
bavarian has graciously accepted to chair a fund drive to buy me a decent digital camera. please keep your eyes open for a new thread with donation information. DIG DEEP, I want a Digital SLR with a few lenses...

alternatively, if you have a decent one and want to donate it please PM me for my address.
You're jumping ahead here. Bavaria is a small and poor country which even has to sell it's most chrished goods - bikes and cars of the Bavarian Motorworks - abroad to make a living.
Forget this idea about "Digi SLR with a few lenses", take a simple digicam with a nice zoom (I use an Olympus C-700 Ultrazoom) any you'll be fine. And your compratriots won't have to donate a huge sum.
bavarian is offline   Reply With Quote