User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2014, 02:37 AM   #1
mrwwwhite OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 394
KTM 690 Adventure (re)build

Hi, after riding a '09 KTM 690 Enduro R for more than 25k throughout Central Asia, my frame fractured badly in Tynda, the mid point of BAM road (Baikal Amur Mainline).

One year later I managed to get a replacement frame so I decided to start this rebuild thread in order to cover the actual rebuild but also a lot of mods and improvements to this awesome bike, arguably the best adventure base available at the moment.

First I made this clip to cover the initial fracture but also the time-lapsed rebuild and I will continue to make a full write up with lots of pics.

Enjoy!

mrwwwhite screwed with this post 10-12-2014 at 02:53 AM
mrwwwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 07:10 AM   #2
dirty_sanchez
Dirty_Sanchez

Oddometer: 2,819
Great Video. Care to share with us what Ama's airbox mod was or share a link or post?

Dirty
Old 10-12-2014, 08:45 AM   #3
mrwwwhite OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty_sanchez View Post
Great Video. Care to share with us what Ama's airbox mod was or share a link or post?

Dirty
Let me just search for the exact post in the 690 and TuneEcu thread.
You just make 2 holes on each side of the snorkel. Optionally you can put some hoses pointing backwards or down if you are stressed about river crossing capabilities.
This + EVO1 map with his throttle map + foam filter and exhaust and you have a smooth beast ;)
The other mod is related to the snorkel to airbox mount (two bolts). Some including myself experienced problems with the threaded inserts in the airbox getting detached. If you put a bolt from inside of the airbox through the threaded insert and then a nut to fix the snorkel.
Old 10-12-2014, 09:07 AM   #4
Beta450
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Well done.
Beta450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 08:02 PM   #5
gen
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 768
KTM 690 Adventure (re)build

Loved the video! Amazing that you rebuilt the bike from the frame up. Did you change any connectors on the wiring loom? The ktm connectors are not great.

How about a change to a MOSFET R/R?

Also keen to hear about the fork rebuild. Mainly I am interested to hear about the EXC internals vs what RRUK is selling in their 300mm kit.
DoD#1458 | GaijinRiders | 2010 KTM 690 Enduro
gen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 01:00 AM   #6
Dotbond
Africa, Africa

Oddometer: 748
The PDHS kit sounds interesting.
Do they bolt directly onto the 690 triple clamps?

Looking on the Slavens website, do you have to buy the Bar Mounts and Elastomer Kits separately?

http://slavensracing.com/shop/progre...r-ktmhusaberg/

Cheers
Trev

2008 N.Z.Yamaha Safari: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=306905
2007 N.Z.Adventures Safari: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201557
Dotbond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 02:52 AM   #7
mrwwwhite OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty_sanchez View Post

Dirty
There you go:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...685657&page=11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gen View Post
Loved the video! Amazing that you rebuilt the bike from the frame up. Did you change any connectors on the wiring loom? The ktm connectors are not great.

How about a change to a MOSFET R/R?

Also keen to hear about the fork rebuild. Mainly I am interested to hear about the EXC internals vs what RRUK is selling in their 300mm kit.
Cheers Gen,
No connectors were changed except for the ones I got rid of: SAS Valve and US Canister. I also unmounted the side stand switch and put a 2.2k Ohm resistor instead.

The Mosfet is a nice upgrade but I would say not essential. You cannot generalize Fishfund's RR problems or LukasM alternator's problem IMO. Sometimes bikes get broken. What I'm trying to say is that alterantor or RR problems are far more seldom than rocker arm bearing problem for example.

There is an awesome suspension thread here
and I plan to do a full write up about the extension.
The 08-11 RRUK extension kit is basically just that... EXC rebound adjusting tube, piston rod and 4.8N spring. The only reason I bought them directly from KTM was the price.
The 12-13 models have a slightly different fork (compression adjuster on the side) so I'm not sure the EXC parts fit right in.
The extension is awesome though I totally recommend it if tall enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dotbond View Post
The PDHS kit sounds interesting.
Do they bolt directly onto the 690 triple clamps?

Looking on the Slavens website, do you have to buy the Bar Mounts and Elastomer Kits separately?

http://slavensracing.com/shop/progre...r-ktmhusaberg/

Cheers
Trev
Hey Trev,
Yes the PHDS system is compatible with all KTM models except big 990, 1190 etc.
They come with medium elastomers (yellow) but people that used them recommended green (soft) ones. So you can buy them separately.
Available from XTRIG or OEM WP through KTM dealers.
Old 10-13-2014, 03:18 AM   #8
Bill the Bong
Supern00ba

Oddometer: 870
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwwwhite View Post
There you go:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...685657&page=11

Cheers Gen,
No connectors were changed except for the ones I got rid of: SAS Valve and US Canister. I also unmounted the side stand switch and put a 2.2k Ohm resistor instead.

The Mosfet is a nice upgrade but I would say not essential. You cannot generalize Fishfund's RR problems or LukasM alternator's problem IMO. Sometimes bikes get broken. What I'm trying to say is that alterantor or RR problems are far more seldom than rocker arm bearing problem for example.

There is an awesome suspension thread here
and I plan to do a full write up about the extension.
The 08-11 RRUK extension kit is basically just that... EXC rebound adjusting tube, piston rod and 4.8N spring. The only reason I bought them directly from KTM was the price.
The 12-13 models have a slightly different fork (compression adjuster on the side) so I'm not sure the EXC parts fit right in.
The extension is awesome though I totally recommend it if tall enough.

Hey Trev,
Yes the PHDS system is compatible with all KTM models except big 990, 1190 etc.
They come with medium elastomers (yellow) but people that used them recommended green (soft) ones. So you can buy them separately.
Available from XTRIG or OEM WP through KTM dealers.
I bought the RR extension kit. I have a 2011, but it has the 12/13 fork. I needed to get a different kit from them than the earlier models. To me that means that the EXC parts are not universally plug and play.
Old 10-13-2014, 03:57 AM   #9
mrwwwhite OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Bong View Post
I bought the RR extension kit. I have a 2011, but it has the 12/13 fork. I needed to get a different kit from them than the earlier models. To me that means that the EXC parts are not universally plug and play.

Like I said 08-11 can use the EXC parts but the 12-13 have slightly different forks so your option is to take the RRUK kit. To be honest I recon is a length related thing and the only difference is the rod and rebound adjuster length not matching the EXC ones. Maybe. I'm positive the spring is the same. I'll check the microfiches and see what I can come up with.
Old 10-13-2014, 04:59 AM   #10
divimon2000
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 590
Wow, cool to watch, thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
divimon2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 11:58 PM   #11
Bushmaster1111
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Cud is to you, well done and inspiring to watch!

Bushmaster
Bushmaster1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 09:51 AM   #12
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,368
Very nice work on the rebuild and great way to document it! I bet the whole thing took many many hours, way more than you anticipated in the beginning. At least that's what always happens to me... You are lucky that you've got a lady by your side that does these trips with you, and even helps you with messy composites work!

The BAM riding looks very familiar as well, except that we had lots more water everywhere last month. It is a seriously rough track that is hell on bikes, whatever is not bulletproof will fail out there.

Do you like the Rally cam now that you have done some testing? I really liked the liveliness, low end, and wider gearbox of the 690cc EFI engine a lot more than I do my current 654cc Rally engine, hopefully I can get some of that back when I swap the cams and gearbox soon.

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 12:16 PM   #13
mrwwwhite OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
Very nice work on the rebuild and great way to document it! I bet the whole thing took many many hours, way more than you anticipated in the beginning. At least that's what always happens to me... You are lucky that you've got a lady by your side that does these trips with you, and even helps you with messy composites work!

The BAM riding looks very familiar as well, except that we had lots more water everywhere last month. It is a seriously rough track that is hell on bikes, whatever is not bulletproof will fail out there.

Do you like the Rally cam now that you have done some testing? I really liked the liveliness, low end, and wider gearbox of the 690cc EFI engine a lot more than I do my current 654cc Rally engine, hopefully I can get some of that back when I swap the cams and gearbox soon.
Cheers Lukas!
It's hard to say :) After one year I just rediscovered this bike and I'm enjoying it again. I cannot compare cause I don't have a reference anymore. Like I said it's hard to remember something you rode one year back (even it was for over 25k). I like the current setup especially the new suspension (I cannot imagine how awesome should a conevalve CC front end should feel).
Too bad you had issues with yours through central asia but your find in UB was just incredible. You just got yourself a priceless classic ;)
BTW do you think the 690 EFI engine is compatible with the 690RFR. I mean if you want can you use parts from a regular 690? like gearbox and such? Is the whole engine compatible like bolt on swap. I know the frame is 95% identical and the 2 engine mounts are a bit different from the 690 to the RFR bikes (cast vs billet).
Old 10-15-2014, 12:33 AM   #14
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,368
Yeah the full travel EXC forks should feel nice and plush, and be good for travel as they are so easy to service. My Rally closed cartridge forks are quite harsh but they are also in serious need of a full service, and finding the tools was impossible anywhere between Europe and Korea. I finally had some shipped to me from Adventure Spec so hopefully they will get better when that is done. According to Lyndon the cone valves really only have an advantage when you go very fast, he himself ran the stock CC ones for most of the Dakar and now on the trip, even though he has a set of CVs at home.

BTW unless you are doing more technical and slow riding I would always go with lower offset on the triples, for better high speed stability. The Rally is in a different league to the Enduro in that regard, and the key differences are the triples (20/22mm) and longer swing arm. This is especially noticeable when you start pushing the bike harder or you get into deep sand.

The engine is to a large degree the same between E/SMC and the Rally. The differences are cam, gears 4-6, the flywheel and the clutch. All of it will interchange so you could simply put a Enduro engine in a Rally or vice versa, as long as you swap the flywheel.

My bike was a lucky find in some ways, in others not so much. I've been having serious oil burning issues from the start since it was run with a hole in the airbox before I got it. This has gotten progressively worse and is now at about 1 liter per 100 km. The gearbox also has an issue in neutral, the dogs are catching so it can't spin freely. Fine as long as you always leave it in gear but a serious ball ache on those cold mornings on the BAM and Old Summer Road in Siberia when I flattened the battery several times before the carbed bike would run properly due to clutch drag....

I was planning on rebuilding the engine now in South Korea but I can't get the bike out of customs and into the country because it has a Mongolian license plate. So now I have to try and figure out how to get it registered in Austria even though I'm not there. Oh well, the challenges of RTW travel.... Luckily time flies quickly here in Seoul and I've met plenty of nice people (girls)!

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 01:31 AM   #15
losiu
wheelie addict

Oddometer: 577
Hey mrwwwhite,

Our mutual friend who we have both hosted during his 6-month trip recently said we should meet because you're also a 690 freak like me.
He was totally wrong. I'm nowwhere near being as much of a 690 freak as you are :)
But it would sure be nice to meet one day.

Great video, solid pile of information and excellent adventures. Thanks.
losiu is offline   Reply With Quote