Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2015, 05:53 PM   #1
jochuma3 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
what about the Yammy 250 XT

Friends,
Something I have been wondering about. Almost every time someone is considering a 250 dual sport they are looking at the KLX, the Honda or the Yamaha WR 250 R. If you look at most of the "what 250 dual sport should I buy threads" on this forum that is generally the argument/topic discussed. Even when you look at 250 dual sport reviews by the magazines, it is the same thing- comparing and contrasting the Honda, the KLX and the WR 250. The Yamaha XT is rarely included in the discussion. I always wonder why this is. I will admit I have never ridden a XT, however I know a few people who own them and they love them. On paper the XT looks like a bike that would be comparable to the KLX but with Fuel Injection. So my question is, why do people tend to gloss over the XT. I suppose that when people look at a 250 dual sport from Yamaha they just go directly to the WR. I plan on picking up a 250 Dual sport in the spring and for the price the XT seams hard to beat. Why no XT love from others? Thoughts?
jochuma3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 06:57 PM   #2
sidetrack one
Chief Tiddler

Oddometer: 5,684
Theres plenty of love for the XT!!!
Start here!http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=403156
I have two myself,old ones!
sidetrack one is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 01:24 PM   #3
montesa_vr
Legend in his own mind

Oddometer: 1,894
The XT250 is neither as well suspended nor as powerful as the other Japanese 250 dual sports. It is a low-maintenance (FI and air cooling) low seat height dual sport with friendly low rpm grunt. It will probably go anyplace you can go on a motorcycle but the suspension might make it prudent to limit your speed.
montesa_vr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 04:03 PM   #4
GEORGE K
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Xt250

I agree with Montesa. I have a 2008. Went down one tooth on the front sprocket, FMF Powercore 4 exhaust, and did the idle ajustment mod. It runs great at all RPMS with good pull for a 250 down low. My use for it is back roads, twisty and hilly with speeds up to around 50. I have also had it on some tight single track and it handles anything with speed being limited by suspension. Okay by me, I am almost 68 and am in no hurry off road. I have a DR650 for when I need a hit of torque and higher speeds on the road.
GEORGE K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 04:05 PM   #5
mmod
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
I like this bike as well and the suspension is not a big deal for me because I do not ride hard. The problem for me is no larger aftermarket fuel tank that I know of.
mmod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 07:49 PM   #6
Concow Mower
Wild Doggie

Oddometer: 291
Thumb Yup, but could use a bigger fuel tank!

Heck we love our XT250's. That's why we bought two!

But I do agree, the aftermarket accessory MFG's seem to shy away from the XT250 and leave us high and dry so to speak with that 2.4 gallon fuel tank and no oil cooler. Bummers!
Cheers
Dave
Concow Mower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 08:04 PM   #7
photorider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 301
I loved mine! The previous posts hit the nail right on the head, though. It's the suspension that is not as plush as some of the other 250s but it has a much lower seat height and just about anybody can throw a leg over it and have fun. They get great mileage too so a big tank is not a deal breaker. You won't be passing anybody on the highway but that is not what it's for. For relaxed exploring off the beaten path, it's tough to beat.
photorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 08:45 PM   #8
jgbnm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Got one for my wife last summer. I've taken it on a few rides. Nowhere near the performance of my bikes in any measurable way. That said, I find it to be loads of fun to ride. Very quiet, comfortable and mellow and you can wail on it without getting yourself in too much trouble going too fast. Nice and reliable and low maintenance as well, which was a big part of the appeal. Seems to get 78 mpg whenever I check, so the range is quite reasonable. Cruises fine at 55 or 60, but not much higher. Good choice for us.
jgbnm is offline   Reply With Quote