Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2009, 10:42 AM   #16
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer: 7,796
I think the chrome ones make the bike look wider, while the black sort of fade into the background.

Also, I wouldn't trust the chrome - it could wind up being a real pain when it starts to flake and you'll have to paint em black anyway.

The thing I like most about the Alberts is the replaceable mirror. Actually I like everything about them except the un-availability and price. I hear Vech sells repros and parts for them though.

Does anyone here do metal stamping? I'd love to make a copy of the Albert mirror head and mount it to the stock bmw mirror stalk.
Old 01-30-2009, 01:40 PM   #17
Uncle Ernie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,978
Napoloeons are nice because they have the rubber plug so they absorb vibrations. That also mkes them hard to take in and out several times, though
I liked the Alberts because the action was smoother, and they were rebuildable.
I don't think Napoleon makes chrome mirrors.
An easy way to make the hole is to whack the bar-ends with a 2/4.
Old 01-30-2009, 01:58 PM   #18
Hawk Medicine
Coyote's Brother

Oddometer: 3,303
If you really want a quality mirror, check out the CRG - Hindsight mirrors.

I have them on my bike and I really like em, plus, theyre super high quality. I sprung for the "Lane Splitters and I like the way they fold up for splitting lanes or during storage. In my opinion, if youre gonna throw $$$ at your bike, these are definately the way to go. Unfortunately, by the time you buy the mounting inserts, the cost is $100+ per side. Ouch!

CLICK FOR FULL SIZE!

FOLDED:

The Alberts mirrors were allways 'the shit' but the quality wasnt the best and the internals will/would rust after a few years but the shape and the stems were just beautiful. I had one of mine fall apart and threw both of em in the trash a couple of years ago. I figuir that that cost me about $250!

Someone should put those mirrors back into production. I'd buy TWO pair! Loll!!

Hate rots the pocket that carries it.

Hawk Medicine screwed with this post 01-30-2009 at 04:41 PM
Hawk Medicine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 02:48 PM   #19
wirewrkr
the thread-killer

Oddometer: 4,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ernie
I don't think Napoleon makes chrome mirrors.
Yeah they do. Just don't see them as often. But they are available at a buck or two more than the black.
Robert

www.wirewerkes.com
KILL YOUR TELEVISION !!!!
wirewrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 03:06 PM   #20
Marvin_ADV
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 433
I just bought some Napoleon Bar Ends for my nekkid SV at Motostrano, good price and good service. Not sure if you want period correct but this model has been around awhile.

http://www.motostrano.com/nabarendmi.html

Hmmm they were $28+ two weeks ago now they are $31+
Old 12-24-2011, 11:58 PM   #21
n8mojo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Reviving an old thread here, because it is just so relevant.

I just got the Napoleon ap104s for my 75/5 with the euro bars (hard to find, no longer made I think). The left side fit on just fine, but the throttle side seems to hang off the bar about 1/4 inch (maybe a little less). Pushing the entire throttle over as far as I can to keep the throttle grip flush with the bar causes the throttle too much friction as the angle in the bar causes the throttle grip to get to tight at the bottom. Basically the throttle won't return if the end is even with the bar.

To mount the Napoleons they must be flush with the bar as the rubber flange expands inside the bar.

Not sure if anyone else had this problem, but all I can think to do is cut off the throttle and grip the 1/4 inch or so.

BTW, found the mirrors here: https://www.shop.bevelheaven.com/

Nate
n8mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 12:52 AM   #22
Hawk Medicine
Coyote's Brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8mojo View Post
Reviving an old thread here, because it is just so relevant.

I just got the Napoleon ap104s for my 75/5 with the euro bars (hard to find, no longer made I think). SNIP...!

Nate
Well, I just did a Google search and those mirrors appear to be readily available from several sources. Didn't note any chrome ones though but then again, I wasn't looking very hard.

About the grips:

I don't have direct experience with the Napoleons but when I was running the Albert's, you had to trim the ends of your grips on the throttle side and I had to do the same when I mounted the CRG's on the Hot Rod.

You don't need a lot of clearance between the mirror stem and the grip but you do need some (CRG specifys 10mm.) or the throttle will hang up and thats not a good thing.

Hawk Medicine screwed with this post 12-25-2011 at 01:04 AM
Old 12-25-2011, 01:14 AM   #23
gsd4me
90% bluff

Oddometer: 7,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ernie View Post
To be period correct, hw would need to find Alberts

I used to run British Stadium brand chrome bar end mirrors on my R100s and later R80/7. Not sure if they are still in business and if they are, the mirrors wouldn`t be made in Britain any more.

If you can get hold of British classic bike magazine, like Classic Bikes or The Classic Motorcycle, I`m sure they would have an ad for such a mirror.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...uild+australia
gsd4me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 01:16 AM   #24
n8mojo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by mymindsok View Post
You don't need a lot of clearance between the mirror stem and the grip but you do need some (CRG specifys 10mm.) or the throttle will hang up and thats not a good thing.
My problem seems to be the throttle is overhanging the bar end -- so the mirrors wont sit flush to the bar. I guess I have to hacksaw the throttle grip, since I can't move it over any further. The magura grip will loose that end lip if I have to do it. Maybe this is normal with the euro bars. I didn't put them on, so don't know if the original US bars (presumably what it had) was more flush. eh. I hate cutting stuff on old things. Doesn't seem right.
n8mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 04:55 AM   #25
spo123
Man About Town

Oddometer: 647
Cool2 some may agree, some may disagree...

The ABSOLUTE NICEST and most EXPENSIVE chrome bar end mirrors that I have found......and declined.....a couple of years ago.
DUCATI factory mirror from the classic, I think, Paul Smart edition.
The dealer quoted something like $120 or $140 to be shipped from Italy......Simply beautiful and lovely......They would have looked great on my toaster.....However......y'all know the rest of this.
I think that, these days......those mirrors would at least be more easily available......probably NOT less expensive.....They could actually have been stainless.....don't recall.
Happy Hanukkah, Merry Christmas, Happy Kwanza.....etc, and HAPPY NEW YEAR!
spo
Old 12-25-2011, 07:57 AM   #26
mfp4073
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,075
Just as an option to throw out there. I got these at cycle gear more than a year ago. Bike is back porch stored and ridden hard in FL sun, heat and humidity. Have more paint missing from sand blasting effect from road stuff than anything else and the internals are all in top notch condition. Vibration and convex are really good. Great visibility from such a small mirror.

1974 BMW R90/6 Bettie #1, 04 Triumph Bonneville
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Blank
loner, lonegunman, get it. That’s the whole point. I like the lifestyle, the image. Look a the way I dress.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil View Post
Cavemen must've designed them shortly after inventing the wheel.
mfp4073 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 08:03 AM   #27
acap650
acap650

Oddometer: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSD4ME View Post
I used to run British Stadium brand chrome bar end mirrors on my R100s and later R80/7. Not sure if they are still in business and if they are, the mirrors wouldn`t be made in Britain any more.

If you can get hold of British classic bike magazine, like Classic Bikes or The Classic Motorcycle, I`m sure they would have an ad for such a mirror.
Here they are.

Classic rectangular type: http://classicpartsltd.com/820-halcy...nd-mirror.html

Round type: http://classicpartsltd.com/830-halcy...nd-mirror.html

Pricey but appear to be high quality stainless with a much better solid internal mount than Napolean rubber hose.

US distributer is http://www.britishmotorcyclegear.com/Parts.asp

I've been wanting these for my W650 but it's hard to give up the quality of the OEM mirrors.
acap650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 10:28 AM   #28
Hawk Medicine
Coyote's Brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirespokes View Post
I think the chrome ones make the bike look wider, while the black sort of fade into the background.

Also, I wouldn't trust the chrome - it could wind up being a real pain when it starts to flake and you'll have to paint em black anyway.

The thing I like most about the Alberts is the replaceable mirror. Actually I like everything about them except the un-availability and price. I hear Vech sells repros and parts for them though.

Does anyone here do metal stamping? I'd love to make a copy of the Albert mirror head and mount it to the stock bmw mirror stalk.
Holy Smokes!!

$180.00 for a pair of Alberts mirrors?!?!

Well, I guess I paid that much for my CRG's but damn.... Alberts mirrors used to be about $15.00 a piece! I know that stainless would be an improvement, because the old ones would rust but still... $180.00 plus shipping...!

Old 12-25-2011, 10:30 AM   #29
Hawk Medicine
Coyote's Brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8mojo View Post
My problem seems to be the throttle is overhanging the bar end -- so the mirrors wont sit flush to the bar. I guess I have to hacksaw the throttle grip, since I can't move it over any further. The magura grip will loose that end lip if I have to do it. Maybe this is normal with the euro bars. I didn't put them on, so don't know if the original US bars (presumably what it had) was more flush. eh. I hate cutting stuff on old things. Doesn't seem right.
Are you sure that you have real BMW spec Euro bars?

Thats what I'm using on my bike and the length hasn't been a problem.

Old 12-25-2011, 11:56 AM   #30
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by mymindsok View Post
Are you sure that you have real BMW spec Euro bars?

That's what I'm using on my bike and the length hasn't been a problem.
I am sure that he could. I have been trying to forewarn people for years that those already too narrow euro bars have been coming from BMW even shorter yet for about 15 years now. They are cut entirely too short. The bends in the bars don't allow the perches to slide far enough up so there is room to get the grips all the way on. I don't understand why they would thusly ruin such expensive bars? I don't think the bends are different. I think they are cutting the bars too short. I am surprised more don't mention it.
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote