Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-25-2011, 07:41 PM   #31
n8mojo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft View Post
I am sure that he could. I have been trying to forewarn people for years that those already too narrow euro bars have been coming from BMW even shorter yet for about 15 years now. They are cut entirely too short. The bends in the bars don't allow the perches to slide far enough up so there is room to get the grips all the way on. I don't understand why they would thusly ruin such expensive bars? I don't think the bends are different. I think they are cutting the bars too short. I am surprised more don't mention it.
Not sure the history on the bars, but previous owner said they were the euro bars. I suspect he added them in the last few years, so maybe this is the issue. Maybe I'll just try to put some kind of washer between the rubber flange and the mirror so it can stick out a little more without cutting the throttle grip.

Meh.

Nate
n8mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 11:11 PM   #32
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8mojo View Post
Not sure the history on the bars, but previous owner said they were the euro bars. I suspect he added them in the last few years, so maybe this is the issue. Maybe I'll just try to put some kind of washer between the rubber flange and the mirror so it can stick out a little more without cutting the throttle grip.

Meh.

Nate
They only clean solution available with bars cut too short like all the bars are that I have seen coming from BMW for years now is to buy short grips and cut the throttle tube shorter. There is a standardized shorter grip out there. Personally, I think the best solution is to get bars that are not cut too short. Those bars were too narrow before they started cutting them even shorter. I never needed the BMW "gentleman's" option of making a handcuffed getaway. I consider the day done when I get handcuffed. They are all too happy to shoot you in the back these days.
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 11:22 PM   #33
Kai Ju
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,731
Spaced out

Another option on bars that are too short, if no more than a 1/4" or so, is to make a spacer that fits between the handle bar and the mirror. The expanding end is usually long enough to cope with that extra length but if you're really worried about that fab a spacer of equal length and a longer bolt for the expanding bit.
Kai Ju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 06:40 AM   #34
Kurt V
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 231
My R75/6 with Napoleans;

1976 Honda CB400F Original Survivor
1973 Honda CL350
Kurt V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 10:15 AM   #35
n8mojo
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt V View Post
My R75/6 with Napoleans;
Beautiful bike Kurt.
Old 12-30-2011, 10:04 AM   #36
n8mojo
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft View Post
They only clean solution available with bars cut too short like all the bars are that I have seen coming from BMW for years now is to buy short grips and cut the throttle tube shorter. There is a standardized shorter grip out there. Personally, I think the best solution is to get bars that are not cut too short. Those bars were too narrow before they started cutting them even shorter. I never needed the BMW "gentleman's" option of making a handcuffed getaway. I consider the day done when I get handcuffed. They are all too happy to shoot you in the back these days.
Supershaft,

What is the part no for the standard shorter grips? My original magura's are fading away anyways...

Nate
Old 12-30-2011, 10:06 AM   #37
n8mojo
Adventurer

Cool link I found to all the mirror and mirror accessories that Okada exports: http://www.okada-corp.com/en/ex_prod...on/mirror.html
Old 12-30-2011, 11:45 AM   #38
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8mojo View Post
Supershaft,

What is the part no for the standard shorter grips? My original magura's are fading away anyways...

Nate
You can't get them through BMW. They are on small dirt bikes and mini bikes. I have seen a lot of the shorter Grand Turismo's looking for genuine normal ones. Man I wish you could still get those!
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote