ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2009, 08:21 AM   #106
RacerXS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 812
New Video

New full length video

Part 1: Mostly Cranberry Bogs & Dirt Roads

OCCR
--------------------------------

RacerXS screwed with this post 07-24-2009 at 12:02 PM
RacerXS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 09:17 AM   #107
flak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,182
wow that looks like a really nice ride, and not far from my old stomping grounds - did you start at the point indicated on the map at the occr site, in the woods between rt 70 and 72? - I grew up just a stone's throw from there in presidential lakes...which incidentally is where my xrl is right now :( I had quite a bit to drink last saturday so I left the bike at my brother's house that night

would love to do some casual bogs/woods riding with some people sometime - I'm all booked up this weekend and can't squeeze in a sunday ride, but I'll be keeping an eye out for meeting new peeps and doing some cool rides in the future - feel free to pm me anytime if looking for some KG riders - I live out in atco (wharton state forest) but I ride the bike back out to my old home here and there (lebanon state forest)
flak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 11:58 AM   #108
RacerXS
Studly Adventurer

Part 2: Mostly the tighter stuff, stick farm about halfway through.

&nbsp
&nbsp
OCCR

RacerXS screwed with this post 07-24-2009 at 03:02 PM
Old 07-25-2009, 02:52 AM   #109
nobody
motomaniac

Oddometer: 1,681
Wow,looks like a perfect place to ride a Transalp...I hope I can make this fine event
Peace
Claudio
Old 07-25-2009, 03:06 AM   #110
jack splash OP
Two Sheds

Oddometer: 2,222
Nice Vids!

Al: Great job on the video clips, thanks.

Now if I can only find time to edit the stuff I took of Al with my helmet cam pointing backward at him, you really get a chance to see the section.

If anybody whos used to riding trail looks at the clips, you may notice there are no speed records being broken here , but if you look at the bike that took them, it's amazing.

Here's some close ups of Al and Cosmin.

Thanks Guys.

Jack

www.pinebarrens500.org
www.pinebarrensadventures.com
jack splash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 05:42 AM   #111
sallydog
no more Green KLR

Oddometer: 5,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody
Wow,looks like a perfect place to ride a Transalp...I hope I can make this fine event
Peace
Claudio
come on down...
Heaven's the place where all the dogs you've ever loved come to greet you
sallydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 05:48 AM   #112
RacerXS
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack splash
Al: Great job on the video clips, thanks.

Now if I can only find time to edit the stuff I took of Al with my helmet cam pointing backward at him, you really get a chance to see the section.

If anybody whos used to riding trail looks at the clips, you may notice there are no speed records being broken here , but if you look at the bike that took them, it's amazing.

Here's some close ups of Al and Cosmin.

Thanks Guys.

Jack
Ya, definitely no speed records being set, that's for sure

No problem on the videos, actually another inmate who works with me (2Wheels4Life) did most of the editing.....let's just say Friday was an easy day for both of us at work

If you get your video into digital files you can transfer (I think it's on mini DV's now?), I have an FTP site you can put it out on & we will edit it for you.
OCCR
Old 08-03-2009, 04:43 AM   #113
jack splash OP
Two Sheds

Oddometer: 2,222
V-Strom 1000 Test

Hey: So we were out over the weekend preriding "Rocky's Big Bike Enduro Route" with an HP2 and a V-Strom 1000.

We ran into this guy, I didn't get his name, but at 50 CC's he won't be able to enter anyway.

Here's some pic's. Jeff and the V in the stick farm. Well it fit through!

Rich, on his HP2, a better fit, despite the cylinders.

More stick farm fun.

I thought I saw Big Foot on a motorcycle while we were out there, but it was only Jeff.

After the enduro section we headed into Wharton to check out some of the sand roads on the route back to the hotel. The V had a few issues but made it. Then we got caught in the rain storm, it was pouring rain with thunder and lightning, Quaker Bridge road turned into a river. I gotta hand it to Jeff, he rode down from Allentown PA, in the rain, rode about 50 miles of the route, and then rode home, in the rain. That's an real Adventure Rider. He came for Adventure, I think he got what he was looking for.

I think the bottom line on the V-Strom test is, the route is rideable, but you gotta be a damn good rider to enter the event on a V-Strom 1000.

I'll let Jeff add more.

THe HP2 and the GS did Better, IMHO.

Jack

www.pinebarrens500.org
www.pinebarrensadventures.com

jack splash screwed with this post 08-03-2009 at 01:53 PM
jack splash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 04:55 AM   #114
Looksgoodinblack
LooksbetteronOrange

Oddometer: 2,771
not much difference between 1000 and 650 and since I'm far from a damn good rider now you got me thinking
Looksgoodinblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 06:15 AM   #115
Joebmetro
10 KTM 690E

Oddometer: 1,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looksgoodinblack
not much difference between 1000 and 650 and since I'm far from a damn good rider now you got me thinking
Don't let that discourage you, Jack generaly has Big bike bypasses for the tight and whooped out sections. Last year there was even a couple of Vintage street bikes that did the ride.

I practiced for the 06 PB500 on my 950 ADV by going out to hot water st. and toppings path. The conditions on those 2 roads are similar to what you'll find in Jersey.

If you would have gotten your ass out of bed Sat. you'd already know that.

LongIslandtormap
Joebmetro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 06:46 AM   #116
Looksgoodinblack
LooksbetteronOrange

Oddometer: 2,771
Good news...
One thing about toppings path. If PB300 has sections similar to the tompikins path section South from crossing with West Hampton Rd that's pretty much where my confidence in combination of wee, myself and sand ends. Simply couldn't pick up the pace to go trough.
It took me good 15-20 minutes to turn the beast around. Another reason for not going on my own to play with dirt
Looksgoodinblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 06:49 AM   #117
RacerXS
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack splash

After the enduro section we headed into Wharton to check out some of the sand roads on the route back to the hotel. The V had a few issues but made it. Then we got caught in the rain storm, it was pouring rain with thunder and lightning, Quaker Bridge road turned into a river. I gotta hand it to Jeff, he rode down from Allentopwn PA, in the rain rode about 50 miles of the route and then rode home, in the rain. That's an real Adventure Rider. He came for Adventure, I think he got what he was looking for.

I think the bottom line on the V-Strom test is, the route is rideable, but you gotta be a damn good rider to enter the event on a V-Strom 1000.

I'll let Jeff add more.

THe HP2 and the GS did Better, IMHO.

Jack
Sounds like you guys had a fun time, except for the rain.....Jeff is definitely an adventurer!

Not to get the Stromians panties in a twist, but I don't think you needed a test to know the HP2 & GS would do better, hell that HP2 would give your X a run for it's money i'm sure.

And there is definitely a bypass for this tight stuff.
OCCR
Old 08-03-2009, 07:25 AM   #118
mrxinpa
Just Get Out and Ride !!!

Oddometer: 1,483
Vstom Test

First I'd like to take the time to Thank Jack for getting out there and planning this event. Everyone needs to know this is not easy task. Jack spends a huge amount of his own time out there planning the route, Pre-Riding it with multiple people to make sure it has something for everyone. etc. Great work Jack!!! Thanks

As for our test riding the VSTROM1000 yesterday. It is definatley something that can be accomplished by an EXPERIENCED Rider but be prepared for a serious workout. On the Stroms, the big issue is the Lack of Suspension. We just dont have the Ground Clearance to plow thru those whoop sections. They can be ridden just at a slower pace than the HP's and the GS's. The best way to make it thru is to remain standing at all times, keeping the feet on the peds weight forward burping the throttle when the front end wants to drift out. And Fight Fight Fight.. did I mention you have to Fight it most of the way for 175 miles!!!

And Yes, I will be attending this event on the VStrom, it didn't beat me down that much. However, I will be down a few more time between now and then to get some additional Practice on the Deep Stuff.

Jeff
mrxinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 07:28 AM   #119
sallydog
no more Green KLR

Oddometer: 5,308
hey, its no fun if its easy... if you want easy then just get a hardly and stay on the roads.
Heaven's the place where all the dogs you've ever loved come to greet you
sallydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 08:51 AM   #120
Joebmetro
10 KTM 690E

Oddometer: 1,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looksgoodinblack
Good news...
One thing about toppings path. If PB300 has sections similar to the tompikins path section South from crossing with West Hampton Rd that's pretty much where my confidence in combination of wee, myself and sand ends. Simply couldn't pick up the pace to go trough.
It took me good 15-20 minutes to turn the beast around. Another reason for not going on my own to play with dirt
LGIB let's move this over to the LI general nonsense thread so as not to hijack this one.

LongIslandtormap
Joebmetro is offline   Reply With Quote