ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2009, 06:48 AM   #1
VTbeemer OP
Traveler

Oddometer: 325
Cry BCM Motors Ducati is closing

Hey All

Below is the official announcement of the closing of BCM Motors. This is very sad for us NE Ducati fans. There is also some very interesting insights into the current state of the bike business as it is now. This is directly from Leslie the dealer owner so it does bear weight in reality. Read on...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I wanted to make a public announcement that BCM will be closing by mid Feb.

My wife and I have made a personal decision to move back to PA where we were living before we came to NH. The bike business is so bad right now, no one in their right mind would buy a dealership (that did not already have one) so selling is not really an option although if anyone wants to purchase please let me know. In fact things are so bad both Suzuki and Yamaha are not importing any 2010 street bikes because their 2009 sales were so bad there is enough product here to satisfy the 2010 projected sales. The euro brands were not hurt as bad but most dealers saw big declines in business.

Again this is part of my reason but the real reason for closing is our desire to be back with our PA friends and be a little closer to family so our girls will have more opportunity to see their relatives.

Kyle and Miles will both be at seacoast and you will get just as good service from them as ever. Jim and Jesse are great people and Jon Martin ( was at BCM ) is there as well so you get the best of what we had to offer at BCM anyway.

I really enjoyed the time spent at the shop and getting to know all of you, it truly was special to have a shop with more friends than customers. I told one person yesterday who was very disappointed that the only real bike shop left was going. BCM was a really special place and that is what attracted me there as a customer when Bruce owned it. I had just bought a new 748 and found BCM while I was living in VT. It was a great place and hopefully there will be another one one day.

I will be opening a small shop in PA/NJ ( as well as a few other business opportunities )where were are going but it will not be a franchised dealership. It will be a small shop focused on selling late model used bikes and doing service work on all late model bikes. The bike business will always be a part of my life but will not be the main focus of my energy. The franchise is good but it takes a lot of $$ and Ducati is in a lot of trouble right now so the break from them could not come at a better time. Ducati is ignoring all the economic conditions and will continue to import more bikes and leave their dealer network swamped with non current product, bad move on their part. They are really going into 2010 blind just as they did in 2009 when they projected 10% growth over 2008 (one of their best years ever). So i am not sad to see that relationship end just the one with friends and great customers.

14' R1200GSW- 93' R100GS/PD- F650GS- 94' R11RS
08' WR250R- 95 R100R- K75s- 57' R69
77' R75/7- 06' Ducati S4R Monster- 74' XL 250
VTbeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 04:45 PM   #2
21zulu
not all there

Oddometer: 1,127
Seems weird to me the he is going to just walk away from the dealership rather than try to sell it. I've heard mixed ideas as to how he delt with his customer base. However the tech's that were there with Bruce, and had stayed seemed to make it all work. Idk, sounds like he's a quitter to me...
Old 01-02-2010, 04:49 PM   #3
wandererrob
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
I've been using them for service since getting my Duc 5 years ago and am sad to see them go. They've been good to deal with.

Still, I too find it a little odd that he's not even trying to sell the place. But Kyle and Miles are the guys I've dealt with most, mostly Miles, so it's good to know they're still in the area at another shop.

Regardless, this is the end of an era. :(
wandererrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 04:55 PM   #4
21zulu
not all there

Oddometer: 1,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by wandererrob
I've been using them for service since getting my Duc 5 years ago and am sad to see them go. They've been good to deal with.

Still, I too find it a little odd that he's not even trying to sell the place. But Kyle and Miles are the guys I've dealt with most, mostly Miles, so it's good to know they're still in the area at another shop.

Regardless, this is the end of an era. :(
I agree, sad he's letting it all go. Perhaps more money than business plan's. I've heard they are going to seacoast, but don't quote me on that.
Old 01-02-2010, 10:22 PM   #5
wandererrob
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21zulu
I agree, sad he's letting it all go. Perhaps more money than business plan's. I've heard they are going to seacoast, but don't quote me on that.

Jesse from Seacoast is on the NEDOC list and has confirmed that they will be and possibly somebody else from BCM as well. In fact Miles is already there, Kyle will be shortly.
Old 01-10-2010, 05:53 AM   #6
noman
just another bike nut

Oddometer: 718
Thumbs down BCM closing - bummer

Old news on Speedilla.com and Ducati.ms, but BCM is closing it's doors. Always had only excellant sevice from Erik, Miles and Leslie will be missed too. Longer travel time to an unknown shop for my '96 900 supersport's first 6k valve check is in store for me mid-summer. Well, crappola,
bobp
Old 01-10-2010, 06:02 AM   #7
jeffs900s
Prophet of Doom

Oddometer: 1,158
Evidently the techs are going to Seacoast in Derry (NH). A brief thread in the regional forums here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=537715

jeffs900s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 06:16 AM   #8
noman
just another bike nut

Oddometer: 718
i can either try nault's, or a longer trip to seacoast. am gonna miss the ole shop.
Old 01-10-2010, 06:31 AM   #9
jeffs900s
Prophet of Doom

Oddometer: 1,158
Nault's is gone too. IIRC they sold their dealership rights to Seacoast Sport Cycle (which is nowhere near the seacoast). Sorry.

The other NH dealer is Great Bay Triumph Ducati in North Hampton (which ironically - is near the seacost).

**Edit to clarify - Nault's is still alive and well, they just don't deal in Ducatis any longer.

jeffs900s screwed with this post 01-10-2010 at 06:47 AM
jeffs900s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 07:39 AM   #10
jdiaz

Oddometer: 32,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffs900s
The other NH dealer is Great Bay Triumph Ducati in North Hampton (which ironically - is near the seacost).
These guys are just a couple blocks away from Max BMW.

My wife rode her ST2 out there to do a BCM female track day at Loudon some years ago. Nice folks.
jdiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 07:53 AM   #11
NC Rick
Cogent Dynamics Inc

Oddometer: 598
Kyle is an awesome tech from BCM. He won the award for top Ducati tech in the USA last year ad recently earned his Master Tech certification. Kyle learned from Bruce and I would go where ever he goes. IMO.

I think he is also going to seacoast
NC Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 05:22 AM   #12
Nice_Rumble
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Rick
Kyle is an awesome tech from BCM. He won the award for top Ducati tech in the USA last year ad recently earned his Master Tech certification. Kyle learned from Bruce and I would go where ever he goes. IMO.

I think he is also going to seacoast
Hey Rick-I bought one your Moab rear shocks and you are right, Kyle is one of the best as he has done some work on my Honda when he was with Nault's.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/212396922304662/
Nice_Rumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 08:44 AM   #13
wandererrob
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffs900s
Evidently the techs are going to Seacoast in Derry (NH). A brief thread in the regional forums here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=537715
looks like the mods have merged threads :)