User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2009, 09:46 PM   #1
dchakrab OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
F800 GS: anyone seeing these used yet?

I've never lusted after a recent year bike the way I've been looking at the F800 GS :) I've always been able to say "Oh, I like those Vstars" and then go look for something from '02 with low miles on it.

So, instead of waiting a decade, it looks like I'm going to have to consider coughing up some serious coin for one of these in the next couple of years.

Anyone seeing these used yet? Is it reasonable to expect them in the $7k-$9k range next winter (2009-2010) here in the US? I'm hoping to get feedback from folks who trawl Craigslist as obsessively as I do, but perhaps have a little more experience with used bike prices at the higher end of the scale.

Thanks!
Nonprofit Website Design | Development | Databases
dchakrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 09:57 PM   #2
thelouv
ocd

Oddometer: 105
Who knows, CNN spouting doom & gloom, oil so low drillers may continue to slow production, a new administration in the presidential office, lots of unknowns out there. The bikes maybe down to $2500 by then & BMW asking the German govt for a bailout. All very unlikely though. I got mine with 600 miles on it and about 1 month old. I did save a few hundred bucks but not thousands and based on my 20+ years of automotive resale experience, given the current demand and supply of these bikes, the only way you can hope to find one in that $ range would be if it has serious issues to rectify. Which hey, you may be a very capable person who likes such projects. I have a friend who only buys broken s__t. His garage always has some sort of project cluttering it up.
Triumph Rocket III (sold)
F800GS (got mine)
Next? Duc 1098 ADV? nope,
went back to a Jeep, and still lovin the GS
thelouv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 10:25 PM   #3
One Eye Mike
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 658
I have a "used" one in my garage. But you'll have to pry it from my cold dead fingers............
One Eye Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 07:47 AM   #4
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,953
Several have popped up in the flea market here on ADV. I doubt you'll see them go for less than $10k this year.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 07:52 AM   #5
knutte-bor-i-amerika
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
But isnt that what they cost new, base?
knutte-bor-i-amerika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 08:52 AM   #6
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,774
There's one on ebay UK for 4000. It's an ex-BMW off-road school bike to probably had a bit of a work out.
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 03:22 PM   #7
RobTheRigger
Thread Killer

Oddometer: 673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildman
There's one on ebay UK for 4000. It's an ex-BMW off-road school bike to probably had a bit of a work out.
Is that the one they totalled? (pics are on ukgser, somewhere, i think.)

Rob
I can imagine a no more rewarding career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: "I served in the United States Navy." JFK

"I rode a lot of dirt bikes when I was younger, so I trust the chain and sprockets more than that newfangled voodoo shaft stuff!" DolphinJohn
RobTheRigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 02:05 PM   #8
Bike4Fun
Smooth IS Fast

Oddometer: 1,649
The F800GS starts at $10,520. And then 95% of the time the bike is going to get farkled adding at least another $2,000. I think it will a couple of years before you see one below $10,000. I did run across one last night that was fully loaded - BMW cases and all the options for $12,500. I would venture to say that guy is loosing $2,000 on that deal.

Oh yeah and the price just went up.
MSRP: $10,995.00*
*Actual price determined by dealer. Price excludes taxes, license, options and handling charge. Prices and specifications subject to change without notice.
Bike4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 06:43 PM   #9
levity
nano-Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,088
Bike4Fun pretty much summed up the situation.

2009 BMW F800GS in So. Calif.

listed here
levity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 07:00 PM   #10
LarryC
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
I have spent all of my adult life in the Marine Corps. I have never had too much extra money...but when the F800GS came out I had to have one. I paid retail for the bike and do not regret it. BMW gives you a 3/36 warranty and I wanted to be the guy who broke the engine in. I may not be as smart as some guys on the board but I can tell you that often times buying used does not work out over the long term. BMW parts are pretty pricey. You may find buying a used bike will cost you more over the long run. Before I bought my bike I rode the KTM 990 and the KLR650. I liked them both but the BMW is simply in its own class. Good Luck

LarryC screwed with this post 01-29-2009 at 10:25 PM
LarryC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 08:53 PM   #11
tmex
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,039
Assuming the F800 falls into the "low depreciation" range, and I think it does, you can expect between 11% and 12% depreciation per year for a well-maintained bike. Almost everyone well add farkles to the bike which tend to depreciate faster, but the seller will want something for them. Unless you run into a desperate situation, I would not expect to see bargains on used bikes for at least two to three years. Even the dealers will create an aftermarket, so it will be tough to find a screamin' deal.

At the end of the day it is always better to spend your time an energy trying to figure out how to make more money, than searching for bargains.

One thing that can change this dynamic is if BMW or some other manufacturer comes out with a much better product in terms of performance or mission statement. In that case the owners of the F800 will migrate on. Frankly, I do not see that happening. I think BMW really got this one right. I do not know what I would improve on the bike other than the suspension, and the aftermarket guys will be all over that shortly. There is already a substantial aftermarket support for this bike.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:57 PM   #12
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryC
Gook luck

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 09:41 PM   #13
LadyLisa
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
listen and learn...

tmex was spot on when he said.....At the end of the day it is always better to spend your time an energy trying to figure out how to make more money, than searching for bargains.

Brilliant quote there.... I like it... This is for me too... I tend to get thie mixed up.. I have the dough to go buy a new one...but have been scratching around and looking for the ideal deal.... I think buying a new one might just be the ticket... Good advice
LadyLisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 11:12 PM   #14
dchakrab OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Ah, yes. That's a complex decision (making more money); I chose a long time ago to build a career working for the nonprofit sector, because I'd had enough of corporate website development / internet marketing.

I could make more money, and buy a new bike, but I'm certain I'd feel (once again) like I was selling my soul. Might not be such a great bargain :)

I think I'll give it a few years...there's always that RT I'm thinking about grabbing this summer, and I have rides planned to a few far-off corners of the world. The F800 can wait a little. I'm certain it'll still be worth it.
Nonprofit Website Design | Development | Databases
dchakrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 06:10 AM   #15
tmex
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchakrab
I could make more money, and buy a new bike, but I'm certain I'd feel (once again) like I was selling my soul. Might not be such a great bargain :)
Depends on how you are wired. I respect people who are passionate about what they do, and expect their jobs to provide a "psychic salary". I don't require or expect my job to define who I am. I am simply trading my time for money.