Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Tejas and the Gulf States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2009, 10:27 PM   #46
Dukeryder

Oddometer: 7,537
What's up Fellas!

Greg checkin' in from the Dirty New Orleans. I didn't get much riding in last year (except riding to work) even though I got a new to me V-Strom; been doing a lot of work travel and general bullshit. I'm looking to get some good Northshore rides in while it's still nice weather. I'm not too good about making early morning rides but Afternoons and weekends I do plenty of Solo rides or with my buddy from work up River Road in the evenings.

I got rid of my real dual sport and street bike; but I still got a KX if any of y'all like getting dirty. A new place just opened up near Belle Chase with a few miles of trails. Waaaay better than the spillway

Dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 11:42 PM   #47
scooterhose
Dare to Win Well

Oddometer: 8,802
Quote:
Originally Posted by K2
you know where I'm at.
I can see it...
Old 04-04-2009, 09:22 PM   #48
mglsite
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Signing in from Covington

I desperately need to find some time to ride.
mglsite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 08:02 PM   #49
10/10ths
Road Trip Fool

Oddometer: 923
Jennings

Howdy from I-10 half-way between Lake Charles and Lafayette.

V-Strom and Monster owner.
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 10:21 PM   #50
mnormand
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
Lafayette

Bringing this thread ttt. .. Another DR from Lafayette... did some great levee riding this last week on our side of the basin.

mnormand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 08:57 AM   #51
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,057
MNORMAND,

Tell me about where you levee ride. I have often thought about bringing my XT over there and doing some riding.
Old 05-25-2009, 07:51 AM   #52
mnormand
Gnarly Adventurer

Hi Ace.. I had an XT before this DR, loved it, but a bit smallish for me. The XT was very manageable and perfect for sightseeing those levee tops.

Like a lot of folks here know, there are multiple levee systems running N&S through the Atchafalaya basin & river. What I personally find very enjoyable is the wide open vistas from a higher vantage point, and the ability to cover longer sections quicker. Some sections during good weather are hardpacked dirt with very light gravel, so higher speeds are possible. and probable .
Also with limited turns and practically zero vehicles, its a very relaxing ride.

Since I'm on the west side, I often make the run from Henderson, La, north to Palmetto to almost Hwy1. Then run to Simmsport cross the Atch. River, then back south down the other side. Using a GPS lets one bail and explore the smaller country roads when desired as well.

This is just a small portion available, and there are some good RR posted over at http://www.dualsportridersoflouisiana.com/ I suspect someone has some GPS routes, I'll have to post one up next time I do a loop.

Mark
Old 05-25-2009, 10:09 AM   #53
KTMandu
Adventurer Wannabe

Oddometer: 328
Hey Normand
I made a quick levee ride this past Wed. I rode from Laf. thru St. Martinville to the levee on the Lake Fausse Pointe road. From there I turned north(left) and jumped on the levee road. Like you said the views are better on top and no traffic. I did see a bald eagle, much to my delight. I also had a very comical meeting with a presumed native of the area. As I approached the Butte La Rose exit, on the right side of the levee, just before the pontoon bridge, I notice a horse grazing alongside a truck with a horse trailer. At that point I wondered where the owner of this collection might be. It was then that I became aware of a fellow on top of the levee motioning me to stop. Which I do. This white guy is thin, medium height, with a fu man chu, in need of a shave nonetheless, in jeans, shirt, hat, sunglasses and listening to an Ipod. He asks if I from here. I say Lafayette. He says, pointing in both directions, that this is private property and that I'm trespassing and I'm not to pass this way again. He wasn't angry or aggressive. I just say...OOKAAY. I ask why I have not seen any No Trespassing signs and he says he doesn't need to post signs but that there is a sign right over there, pointing to beyond his truck/trailer/horse. I scanned the area, looking at the brush and chicken trees near the edge of the canal but see no such sign. Having been born and raised in Lafayette but spending alot of my teenage years playing and misbehaving at a buddy's camp in Butte La Rose, riding dirt bikes on these very same levees as well as being knowledgeable about land titles from my line of work in the oil and gas business, I knew this guy was full of crap. Now maybe he was a landowner. But if he is from this area, he should know that the levee is owned the Feds and operated by the Corp of Engineers and is there for flood control. I didn't argue the point to the guy. It wouldn't have served any purpose other than to heat up the conversation. So I just let him continue to live in his fantasy world with his fantasy kingdom. I bid him farewell and went on my way, down to Doucet's store at Butte la Rose for a cold drink(non-alcoholic). While ther, I quizzed the lady at the store about this character. She was aware of him and said that a lady she knew had been walking her dog in the same location and had also been confronted by this guy for the very same reason. She said he was a nut and that everyone in this are knows that the levee is federally owned. By the time I got back to the levee for my ride back to Laf. via Breaux Bridge, the enforcer was gone, back to his castle or looking for other outlaws. It's a good thing I hadn't taken any royal game from his woods.
So if you ride the levee tops in this section of the world, be forwarned! If you stop and talk to the king of the levee, tell him I said hey.
00 300 EXC
KTMandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 01:24 PM   #54
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Oddometer: 32,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMandu
be forwarned! If you stop and talk to the king of the levee, tell him I said hey.
Times are so bad that the Trolls are being run out from under their bridges and taking up space on the "FEDs" Levee now eh..wow, Hope and change..yep we got it now!

I agree, no point in trying to continue the conversation..a well known fact, you can not argue with a fool...but perhaps maybe a FED should cross the levee and stake his claim!
DrLewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 03:43 PM   #55
mnormand
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMandu
Hey Normand
So if you ride the levee tops in this section of the world, be forwarned! If you stop and talk to the king of the levee, tell him I said hey.
Oh man you have GOT to be kidding! I -just got back- from a 4hr ride in that area, went to Henderson, and crossed the pontoon bridge then back to the rest area at I-10, then north to Krotz Springs...wish I would have known ! I usually don't go south from the pontoon, but now its next on my list baby ! Got a story waitin for him... I'm gonna tell him he better watch himself... someone reported him driving a stolen truck and a sherriff stopped me earlier looking for someone similar... what fun !!

I'm a longtime outdoorsman as well, and familair with all that stuff. Tho he is correct about tresspassing, no signs needed anymore, you gotta know when you're tresspassing. I'm normally a pretty mild guy, non-vindictive, but the last SOB that didn't let me pass him on gravel after flicking lights repeatedly, I caught up with him later and told him I was trying to stop him due to his boat trailer bearing was smoking badly...might wanna check that... then I drove off.

If you run north on the Henderson levee, all the way ( ~40mi) almost to Hwy1, that last section of levee has been chained off at the cattle gap by the person leasing the grazing rights. A old classmate of mine up there was recently driving his big farm tractor to Simmsport for repairs, saw that chain, said bullsh!t, and simply drove right over it, the lessee saw him do it, but didn't confront him.

Lastly I stopped at the Bike Barn for the first time, for a quick burger/coke/rest, a few harley guys there , let me tell you, ain't nothing nice about watching a bunch of hardlegs in cutoff tshirts swoon karaoke tunes. Ain't my deal for sho.

Only got rained on once, about to pour down now that I'm home..naptime!
Old 05-28-2009, 06:48 AM   #56
Juice Box OP
Got Ink?

Oddometer: 2,887
Hey Normand, good to see ya here.

www.dualsportridersoflouisiana.com
Juice Box is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 11:43 PM   #57
nanohiccup
in time

Oddometer: 849
Looks like y'all had a blast!
Old 06-20-2009, 05:39 PM   #58
mnormand
Gnarly Adventurer

edit...update...done.

Hey guys, I need to get a bike from Corpus to Lafayette. Posted this in a few other places. Timing is very flexible.
Any ideas/suggestions/offers appreciated.
Mark

mnormand screwed with this post 07-07-2009 at 01:45 PM
Old 07-07-2009, 01:42 PM   #59
Rajin Cajun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 476
Get together in Lafayette

Hey Tim! Just wanted to say thanks for the invite last week and I had a good time. Hopefully we can get something going to get other area members together.

Jason
Rajin Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 08:05 AM   #60
LaOutbackTrail
Certified Smartass

Oddometer: 5,058
I have two of my bikes up for sale in order to get one more modern bike. See link in signature.

Sorry for the spam.
LaOutbackTrail is offline   Reply With Quote