User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2010, 09:41 AM   #31
borsiin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
MD RB Holder drive belts

I have my bike shipped out for Rally Tuareg and too late I realized a pack of spare drive belts would be nice to have. In the threads i found with the search engine everyone just says that they are regular O-rings found at industry supply stores.

So what dimension o-ring should I ask for?
borsiin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 10:40 AM   #32
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,425
From my records (collected somewhere on the internet):

1x 55mm diameter, 2.5mm thick
1x 36mm diameter, 2.5mm thick

I was also advised to degrease them well so they grip properly.

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 03:29 AM   #33
nry

Oddometer: 1,532
I'm in the process of straightening out my MD for a two day rally coming up after I crashed at Safari on the last day.

My motor wasn't turning so I pulled it apart, the motor is fine but the output / drive shaft was slightly bent (the one the gears are fixed on and not able to slide off). I've straightened it now but I can't seem to find the correct way to fit the removable gears and have the shafts turning.

I might be missing something else thats stopping the shafts turning and is nothing to do with the way I'm assembling it but to help with the assembly does anyone have a pic of the gears in their correct positions ?

The offending gears, why so many ?

nry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 01:39 AM   #34
nry

Oddometer: 1,532
I figured out what was going on with my MD.

Some pictures.

This was the state of it after my crash.

It took a knock on the motor housing which pushed it out of square. After I'd dusted myself off I thumbed the MD switch and got no movement at all so I followed other racers to complete the final 100km.

I stripped the MD down using the instructions earlier in this thread and then tested the motor which still didn't move so I pulled that apart by removing the two remaining screws. Once the motor was free of the gears it ran just fine in both directions so I pulled the gears out.
As I mentioned in my previous post the drive shaft was bent slightly, which took me a while to notice, I straightened it, cleaned up the gears and applied a bit of grease and then put them back together.

Hey presto it worked but didn't sound too great in hindsight.

I'd "panel beaten" the housing straight which was not too difficult and reassembled the MD.

Once it was together I tested it and it was all ok but I'd gotten one of the pulleys on the drive shaft wrong so quickly pulled it out and then put it back. Whilst I was doing this I heard a click and the shaft wouldn't turn after that.

So apart it came again.

The gears on the drive shaft, on closer inspection had gotten tighter, when I pushed the drive shaft too hard putting it together. Thats when the penny dropped........... that was the issue the whole time. When I crashed the unit took a knock and compressed the drive shaft which basically locked the gears against each other so they would turn but with great difficulty.

The blade of a screwdriver between the two metal gears sorted my "tightness" issue.

Wish I'd have thought of that sooner

So there you go. If you have any MD roadbooks and you think the motor has failed maybe its just the gears locked up.

Good to go and in the end all I needed in the way of spare parts was this $3 part.

Like a bought one / Job in the town as my old tradesmen you to say !

Hope this helps someone.

Neil. (a bit slow but I get there in the end)
nry is online now   Reply With Quote