ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2009, 08:43 PM   #1
mikem9 OP
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,194
North Georgia Forest - Truck Warning!

Riding with 5 buddies today on FS roads. Coming down 28 via 77 just a few miles from Nimblewil Church. We had a crazy incident with a truck we passed. The first few riders passed him slowly and courteously and he went crazy, trying to knock them off the road and then speeding up trying to ram them. He made one guy drive into a ditch and it broke his blinker on the embankment, but he kept from crashing and sped off. The truck driver looked like he was driving in a rally as our buddies sped up to try and get away from him - he was flying! trying to ram them! Finally he slammed on the brakes and slid the truck sideways to try and block the last couple of us. He then slammed it in reverse as if he was trying to turn around and come back and run over us (the last two). When he hit reverse we sped by and he tried to hit us again, barely missing us. He chased after us, but we created some distance. I'm very thankful I was with a group of very experienced riders, and not some of our sons or other less experienced riders, we take up there sometimes. The situation is currently under investigation.

Description: Older, squared off style, Ford Ranger. (early 90's?). Mid-sized truck. Faded dark red, with tool box in truck bed. Driver - Guess - 50's Graying hair - scruffy, medium length and glasses. Overweight. If you want the tag number PM me. Edit: Faded red, almost maroon color.

Just wanted to warn everyone that rides in the North Ga. Forest to be careful.
This guy definately has has it out for motorcyclists. Has anyone else had a run in with a vehicle of this description lately?

mikem9 screwed with this post 02-14-2009 at 08:41 AM
mikem9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 09:59 PM   #2
RichardU
Let's Ride

Oddometer: 887
That's serious. Sorry it happened to you, but glad you came out okay. Thanks for the warning.
RichardU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 03:46 AM   #3
flux_capacitor
I know a shortcut!

Oddometer: 9,596
Shit Mike, hate to hear things like this. Thanks for the warning. Sounds like he may have had one too many run-ins with non courteous motorcyclists out there. Still, no excuse for his behavior. When you say it is under investigation... I hope that means you filed a police report. What he did is nothing short of attempted murder.
flux_capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 05:11 AM   #4
NC HILLBILLY
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,066
That definately an felonious assault with a deadly weapon. Too bad no body had a concealled carry permit and was carrying during the ride.........Mark

Current Stable:

2007 DR 650 (For The Rougher Stuff In Life)
2009 DL 1000 (For Those Laid Back Days)

Bygone Days:

69 Honda 50-----72 Suz 90
74 DT 250-------78 TT 500
80 KZ 650-------87 KLR 650
88 NX 250-------99 DR 650
03 DRZ----------04 SXC 625
06 950 ADV----- 99 DR 200
NC HILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 05:42 AM   #5
stretchmark
StretchMark

Oddometer: 331
Some crazy shit there, Mike!
That's definitely aggravated assault.
Let us know what happens with the investigation.

Not condoning what he did at all, but tell us a bit more about how he was passed. I see you said slowly and courteously, but did you guys give him any chance at all to pull over and let you by?
If he didn't see you guys coming and was startled when you passed, I can see how his feathers might have been ruffled. Still absolutely no excuse for his retaliation.
stretchmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 05:48 AM   #6
mikem9 OP
Wanderer

Yes, we filed including his tag, but I don't have it myself, or would post here. On the concealed carry - some, but back at the truck - bummer!

The Sheriff, who we found out later is a streetbiker himself, told us that the general feeling around there, based on typical behavior from dirt bikers is that a lot of them are driving crazy on the forest rds. and without courtesy. I think what he was trying to tell us is that there are some of these locals out there with a chip on their shoulder towards dirt bikers.

If anyone has had a similar run in with a similar Truck or person, PM me or call Lumpkin County Sheriff and report it if you don't mind. I think it might come down to his word vs. ours and sad to say that just by the fact we were on motorcycles is a strike against us. We are more concerned that this guy might try this kind of stunt again and really hurt or kill someone. Just the fact that he knows he has been reported, might help keep him from doing it again up there - we hope.
Old 02-01-2009, 05:50 AM   #7
olebiker
Old buzzard bait

Oddometer: 3,359
Could you hear the banjos in the background?
olebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 05:55 AM   #8
nevermind
Swamp Thing

Oddometer: 2,694
I've heard it from other motorists/wacko's that because a bike rode past them, or "startled" them during a pass, it's fair to intimidate bikers. I've heard some say, wait until they come by and open your door.

This just reminds me, I need to be careful out there, they ARE trying to kill us...
nevermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 06:03 AM   #9
mb90535im
'05 R1200 GS

Oddometer: 4,753
If you got his tag # he should be in jail already.
mb90535im is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 06:07 AM   #10
mikem9 OP
Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stretchmark
Some crazy shit there, Mike!
That's definitely aggravated assault.
Let us know what happens with the investigation.

Not condoning what he did at all, but tell us a bit more about how he was passed. I see you said slowly and courteously, but did you guys give him any chance at all to pull over and let you by?
If he didn't see you guys coming and was startled when you passed, I can see how his feathers might have been ruffled. Still absolutely no excuse for his retaliation.
When we first saw him he was following another vehicle - SUV. They looked like there were driving together and were going very slow. When we came up behind them, they slowed even more and the one in front started to pull over to the right side. There was already enough room on the left side of the truck, he was already further right. It appeared that they were slowing down to let us pass. That's when the first rider went to pass. As he was passing, and before he got to the lead vehicle, for some reason it changed sides of the road and pulled to a little clearing on the left - we assumed just trying to get off the road for us. As the rider was beside the truck, it veered left, not giving our buddy much room between the truck and the SUV that just pulled to the left. For the first incident, we talked later, we all gave him the benefit of the doubt and just thought he tried to avoid a rock or pothole.

He then went back to the middle right of the road, which looked like he was saying come on and pass and the second buddy went to pass slowly. I think it was this one who got pushed into the ditch. This is when the truck started acting really crazy.

When we pass cars, we generally try to let them acknowledge us in their mirrors or by their action and then we pass slowly and give a wave of thanks as we go by.

We had a great day of riding, but kind of left a little deflated, thinking about there are a few ticked off and half crazy people up there that might hurt some family out for a ride etc.

We probably should all recommit to go above and beyond and in the courtesy and kindness department to other people when we are on our motorcycles up there. As we all know, our general image is not good.
Old 02-01-2009, 06:12 AM   #11
mikem9 OP
Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usually Lost
I've heard it from other motorists/wacko's that because a bike rode past them, or "startled" them during a pass, it's fair to intimidate bikers. I've heard some say, wait until they come by and open your door.

This just reminds me, I need to be careful out there, they ARE trying to kill us...
Amen!
Old 02-01-2009, 06:15 AM   #12
Venturer
AKA klakeman

Oddometer: 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikem9
When we first saw him he was following another vehicle - SUV. They looked like there were driving together and were going very slow. When we came up behind them, they slowed even more and the one in front started to pull over to the right side. There was already enough room on the left side of the truck, he was already further right. It appeared that they were slowing down to let us pass. That's when the first rider went to pass. As he was passing, and before he got to the lead vehicle, for some reason it changed sides of the road and pulled to a little clearing on the left - we assumed just trying to get off the road for us. As the rider was beside the truck, it veered left, not giving our buddy much room between the truck and the SUV that just pulled to the left. For the first incident, we talked later, we all gave him the benefit of the doubt and just thought he tried to avoid a rock or pothole.

He then went back to the middle right of the road, which looked like he was saying come on and pass and the second buddy went to pass slowly. I think it was this one who got pushed into the ditch. This is when the truck started acting really crazy.

When we pass cars, we generally try to let them acknowledge us in their mirrors or by their action and then we pass slowly and give a wave of thanks as we go by.

We had a great day of riding, but kind of left a little deflated, thinking about there are a few ticked off and half crazy people up there that might hurt some family out for a ride etc.

We probably should all recommit to go above and beyond and in the courtesy and kindness department to other people when we are on our motorcycles up there.
Mike - glad no one was hurt. Sounds very dangerous. While we all occassionally get frustrated with motorists both on FS roads and the street, I agree that when it comes to passing, we need to be cautious, lawful and non-threatening. I now refuse to pass on double yellow on the street, and wait until it is clear that the motorist wants me to pass on FS roads.

I am still guilty of going too fast on FS roads, and occasssionally pop a wheelie... Some things are hard to give up.

We are all dirt bike ambassadors for our sprot.

Kirk
'04 KTM 950; '11 KTM 350 XCF;
'08 KTM 250 XCF-W; '05 Montesa 250 4RT Trials
Venturer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 06:17 AM   #13
Willy-B
onebudwiser

Oddometer: 7,804
Sounds to me y'all did just what I would normally do. Let the vehicle acknowledge you, pass with caution and give a thank you wave.

I've been on some of the forest roads in a vehicle and it's just no fun to do anything more than take it easy due to pot holes, rocks and so forth. With a dual sport it's much easier to dodge this type stuff and carry a tad quicker pace. Not to mention the dust in the dry months behind car/truck/SUV.

Sorry to hear about all of this. Good luck with the report you filed, let us know how this goes.

My theory, you only get one chance, go full fucking throttle, all the way, all the time.-Trip
Willy-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 06:17 AM   #14
stretchmark
StretchMark

Oddometer: 331
Thanks for the clarification. I'll definitely watch out for this whack job.
Hope they catch him.
stretchmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 06:22 AM   #15
Some Dude
what attitude problem???

Oddometer: 4,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC HILLBILLY
That definately an felonious assault with a deadly weapon. Too bad no body had a concealled carry permit and was carrying during the ride.........Mark

Like Amex,........don't leave home with out it