ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2009, 06:23 AM   #16
manganos
Let me pontificate.

Oddometer: 3,184
WOW. I would have done a couple of things different. Not to sound cocky but I do conceal carry 99.9% of the time in my backpack. You never know who you will meet while out and about. It seems this guys intent was to harm you guys. I would go to the magistrate and press charges. The magistrate will issue a warrant of arrest. It does not matter if it is your word against his. The attitude of the police is they have to see the incident in order to file charges. This however does not prevent you from filing charges yourself. Good luck and let us know the outcome.
Old 02-01-2009, 06:24 AM   #17
Truckin_Thumper
low profile

Oddometer: 28,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC HILLBILLY
That definately an felonious assault with a deadly weapon. Too bad no body had a concealled carry permit and was carrying during the ride.........Mark
You gotta love Tarheelians!!

Good thing I wasn't there, I woulda unloaded on his ass.
No matter the situation, there is NEVER a reason to try and run down people "just because".
Glad no one was hurt!

Truckin_Thumper screwed with this post 02-01-2009 at 06:37 AM
Truckin_Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 06:25 AM   #18
mikem9 OP
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,183
Thanks for the comments guys. PS - If anyone has seen similar behavior from a similar vehicle, it would help the case. Leaving now for a street ride - see you all in the mountains!
mikem9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 06:34 AM   #19
Some Dude
what attitude problem???

Oddometer: 4,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by manganos
WOW. I would have done a couple of things different. Not to sound cocky but I do conceal carry 99.9% of the time in my backpack. You never know who you will meet while out and about. It seems this guys intent was to harm you guys. I would go to the magistrate and press charges. The magistrate will issue a warrant of arrest. It does not matter if it is your word against his. The attitude of the police is they have to see the incident in order to file charges. This however does not prevent you from filing charges yourself. Good luck and let us know the outcome.
Almost useless in a backpack, you could be ran over or shot just trying to get to it. Now the double zippered waterproof pocket of let's say a BMW Ralley jacket can fit quite a few different options. This combined with a helmet mounted cam www.vholdr.com makes for a sound case if a driver decides to use their vehicle as a deadly assault weapon. It's bad enough on the streets of Atlanta, let alone with some of the folks on the FS roads who think they are on their private land or something of the sort.

I am all for being courteous and making safe passes street or dirt, but when there isn't mutual respect and a general stereo type knee jerk response from the other side it can get ugly quick unfortunately
Old 02-01-2009, 06:46 AM   #20
manganos
Let me pontificate.

Oddometer: 3,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Atlanta
Almost useless in a backpack, you could be ran over or shot just trying to get to it.

I agree. While off road it is in my backpack. On the street it is on my person.
Old 02-01-2009, 06:52 AM   #21
ANutt
Keyboard Adventurer

Oddometer: 415
I've mountain biked that stretch of road quite a lot. Wonder what the nutcase would do to a bicycle, since we can't get out of the way quick enough?
ANutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 07:04 AM   #22
SuchesRider
Just Do It!

Oddometer: 1,646
Hi Mike. Thanks for the info and the warning. This is disturbing on a number of different levels. I flee Atlanta and come to Suches to get away from 'the crazies'. Does anyone have any ideas for attaching my shot gun to the bike's handlebars, as it will not fit in either my jacket or my backpack? SR
Old 02-01-2009, 07:10 AM   #23
Truckin_Thumper
low profile

Oddometer: 28,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Atlanta
Almost useless in a backpack, you could be ran over or shot just trying to get to it. Now the double zippered waterproof pocket of let's say a BMW Ralley jacket can fit quite a few different options. This combined with a helmet mounted cam www.vholdr.com makes for a sound case if a driver decides to use their vehicle as a deadly assault weapon. It's bad enough on the streets of Atlanta, let alone with some of the folks on the FS roads who think they are on their private land or something of the sort.

I am all for being courteous and making safe passes street or dirt, but when there isn't mutual respect and a general stereo type knee jerk response from the other side it can get ugly quick unfortunately
My Blackhawk Serpa hangs on my waistline pretty good (Fieldsheer pants).
My jacket hides it well too.
God help my hip if I ever go down at a high rate of speed....
Old 02-01-2009, 07:11 AM   #24
GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,262
You will have to become an outlaw. Saw the stock and barrel off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchesRider
Hi Mike. Thanks for the info and the warning. This is disturbing on a number of different levels. I flee Atlanta and come to Suches to get away from 'the crazies'. Does anyone have any ideas for attaching my shot gun to the bike's handlebars, as it will not fit in either my jacket or my backpack? SR
GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 07:21 AM   #25
GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,262
I have encountered this guy several times over the years. He must live off of 28 or use it cutting from his house to work. Or poaches this area alot. Maybe going hunting , because he carries a rifle along his side pointing into the floor board. I have had him speed up after passing him while alone, but thought he wanted to race, so quickly left him sitting. I have had people riding with me, say he tried to run them off the road when they tried to pass. Never thought anything about it though. I always ride like they are trying to run me off the road though. Just a habit. You guy's ride safe.
GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 07:22 AM   #26
SuchesRider
Just Do It!

Oddometer: 1,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB
You will have to become an outlaw. Saw the stock and barrel off.
No need to. Already done! SR (the other outlaw)
Old 02-01-2009, 07:23 AM   #27
Jman955i
Falls Down A Lot

Oddometer: 1,709
Sorry to hear about that situation. But I think as time wears on problems like this are going to harder to do without getting caught. Because as camera get cheaper more people will buy them so the next time somebody will have this nut caught on camera and their word against yours will not hold up. Of course the camera is a double edge sword, it also can record anything you do that is against the law
Old 02-01-2009, 07:49 AM   #28
Brown Dog
North Georgia Dual Sportr

Oddometer: 1,876
mike , we ran into this similar situation 2 yrs ago. the man's description
sound exactly the same, but this guy was in an older green f150 4x4.
we missed him as he was trying to run us off the road too. i think we
were on fs28 or fs42. be careful up there guys. always ride cautious.
Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 07:52 AM   #29
Brown Dog
North Georgia Dual Sportr

Oddometer: 1,876
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB
I have encountered this guy several times over the years. He must live off of 28 or use it cutting from his house to work. Or poaches this area alot. Maybe going hunting , because he carries a rifle along his side pointing into the floor board. I have had him speed up after passing him while alone, but thought he wanted to race, so quickly left him sitting. I have had people riding with me, say he tried to run them off the road when they tried to pass. Never thought anything about it though. I always ride like they are trying to run me off the road though. Just a habit. You guy's ride safe.
one time , me & wilson was with you when yall had a close call with him.
i remember .
Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 08:20 AM   #30
mb90535im
'05 R1200 GS

Oddometer: 4,566
+1 on the suggestion of going to the Magistrate Judge and swearing out a warrant. Most of them are open on Sunday mornings to take care of the Saturday night offenses. Of course having said that, I believe to have a warrant served, you'd have to have a name which the sheriff should be able to provide since you have the vehicle tag #.

mb90535im screwed with this post 02-01-2009 at 08:43 AM
mb90535im is offline   Reply With Quote