ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2009, 08:37 PM   #46
The Milk Man
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriedDuck
Yikes! We were on Nimblewill road today, but I'm happy to say everyone was friendly and all the locals waved. It turned out to be too greasy for street tires (my brother) so it was a short-lived adventure.

Hope you get the SOB!

Jeff
Must have just missed ya. Me and my friend were out there around 12ish. Little wet in spots for the supermoto on mainly street tires. I'll keep a look out for this guy.
The Milk Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 08:49 PM   #47
unlawfulsm
Bearded Hooligan

Oddometer: 526
Did the truck have a purple heart tag? I have experienced a similar description vehicle on the pavement. I was 2up on a KLR just cruising along. Came upon a truck going rather slowly (below the speed limit) I went to pass and he sped up. No at this point I am next to him (in a passing lane) again 2up KLR, up hill, I had nothing for him. I must have stretched the cable a bit and started to edge in front. He nailed it and I had to shut it down and move in behind him. Now we hit the twisties and he is in the other lane on every blind corner. I back off he slows down. Finally I build up some steam and get around him and disappear on the tight curves. I did not want to slow down, thought he might stop, and did not want to be behind him to witness some carnage when he hit someone head on. My wife was pissed and we went home after that. Talking to some other riders they have experienced this guy before. Word is he is a retired sheriff thats pissed off at the world. Atleast no one was injured in either scenario. Some of these folks around here used to own a lot of the land and feel that they still do. Especially in the forest where they think no one can see what they do. Keep the rubber side down and this makes a good case for a helmet cam. Just make sure edit out all the stuff you dont want show in court

Use Code- iFRLhicsrl4no

Great Deals on Gear
unlawfulsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 06:09 AM   #48
Gumbeaux
The Chameleon

Oddometer: 792
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Milk Man
Must have just missed ya. Me and my friend were out there around 12ish. Little wet in spots for the supermoto on mainly street tires. I'll keep a look out for this guy.
I was also out there Sunday around 1:30. Had to burn in a new set of knobbies (d606 on the rear is very nice!) and made this trip last minute...I ran 28 from Nimblewell. I had not seen this post before...and I was riding alone...glad I didnt' see this crazy fella.

I respected the "Slow!" signs near the residential areas. Noticed a lot of "no trespassing/private property"signs. No problem. Saw a guy in camo driving a flat bed pickup and he waved. Other than that...a few weekend hiker types.

By the way, what is 77/Winding Stair gap like? I almost went that way.
Old 02-02-2009, 06:18 AM   #49
flux_capacitor
I know a shortcut!

Oddometer: 9,613
Mike, can you get his tag # from whoever has it?
flux_capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 06:19 AM   #50
flux_capacitor
I know a shortcut!

Oddometer: 9,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbeaux

By the way, what is 77/Winding Stair gap like? I almost went that way.
Another typical forest road, a little rougher than most, but not bad at all. I have seen Buicks go up it. It is all uphill, and stops at the top of the mtn. It is a good way to link to areas above Suches.
flux_capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 09:26 AM   #51
mikem9 OP
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by flux_capacitor
Mike, can you get his tag # from whoever has it?
Flux, I think so - working on that.

An observation - We had an incredible day riding up there. I've lived in Ga. all my life, but really just got to know this area in the last few years. I think of it as a great resource/playground right in our back yard. This incident kind of bummed me out for a while. I often bring my older kids on rides up there, and am looking forward to doing more of it. My wife also recently joined me on a dualsport ride - her first. I'm so glad that none of them were with me when we ran across this guy. When I'm with them, we pass people also., but they don't yet have the skills to have dealt with this situation.

But, the interest and response from you members of this site and from my group of riding buddies has renewed my feeling, that we have a great North Ga. riding community that will come to the aide or stick up for other riders if needed.

Thanks folks. I'll try to keep you informed of the situation if anything unfolds.

A reminder that if anyone has anymore details about similar incidents, let us know.

mikem9 screwed with this post 02-02-2009 at 01:37 PM
mikem9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 01:08 PM   #52
kdscoates
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,479
Quote:
Originally Posted by flux_capacitor
Another typical forest road, a little rougher than most, but not bad at all. I have seen Buicks go up it. It is all uphill, and stops at the top of the mtn. It is a good way to link to areas above Suches.
just another boring road, waste of time to ride no need to be up there and them woods are full of crazies!!!!!

quote from 4runner "but,if you really need a 80/20 , which most of us do and won't admit it,"
kdscoates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 01:19 PM   #53
SuchesRider
Just Do It!

Oddometer: 1,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdscoates
just another boring road, waste of time to ride no need to be up there and them woods are full of crazies!!!!!
+1 SR
Old 02-02-2009, 02:26 PM   #54
Gumbeaux
The Chameleon

Oddometer: 792
Quote:
Sorry Coates...too late. You can't stop me now. I do tread lightly.
Old 02-02-2009, 02:36 PM   #55
kdscoates
Beastly Adventurer

good luck this weekend gumbeax!!!
be safe and have fun!!!

quote from 4runner "but,if you really need a 80/20 , which most of us do and won't admit it,"
Old 02-02-2009, 02:51 PM   #56
Dirtysouth
Stud fee waived for noobs

Oddometer: 4,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbeaux
Sorry Coates...too late. You can't stop me now. I do tread lightly.

Gumbeaux,

I don't know you but I'll be rooting for you this weekend. I'll be heading that way that friday morning.
Dirtysouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 04:10 PM   #57
kdscoates
Beastly Adventurer

that's why your wife asked me to come over fri night!!!

Old 02-02-2009, 04:30 PM   #58
Dirtysouth
Stud fee waived for noobs

Oddometer: 4,905
Quote:
that's why your wife asked me to come over fri night!!!

Well, I'm not coming home until Monday so you two have fun but if you touch, you buy. That means you have to take her ass with you. You have 4 days to get all of her shit moved with the quer 950 you ride.

Dirtysouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 04:56 PM   #59
olebiker
Old buzzard bait

Oddometer: 3,439
Hey where is my damn Banjo?
olebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 04:58 PM   #60
coletrain
All aboard!

Oddometer: 472
I've done 77/Winding Stair before and I enjoyed it...Gumbeaux, and anyone else let me know when you go.
coletrain is offline   Reply With Quote