Quote:
Originally Posted by A5Warhammer
Kermit chair:

Packs to 22" x 4" x 6"
Cost: $130

Game Winner Jr. chair from Academy:

Packs to 22" x 4" x 4"
Cost: $10

Yes, I'm cheap, but it's actually a pretty comfortable chair. It packs nice and small, sets up in seconds and I could buy 13 of them for the price of one Kermit chair.
Ever spent any time in a Kermit chair v. a Game Winner Jr.?

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 10:07 AM   #32
Oldrice
oldrice.com

Oddometer: 527
Here's mine. Nice chairs. Had 'em for a few years now and I like them because they're cheap, fairly light, pack reasonably small. And if they were to fall off the back I wouldn't be heart broken.

Walmart- $3.77 ea.

Can you tell I ride a KLR?

Oldrice-

AJS Trials, CB250K0, XL250K0
Oldrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 10:48 AM   #33
niceviewbehindbars
out enjoying the vu

Oddometer: 1,392
Campmor - $12.97 - Dimensions (closed): 23" x 16" x 3"

Fits perfect on the rack of my KLR. Very comfortable as well.

"The human spirit needs places where nature has not been rearranged by the hand of man." -Unknown
niceviewbehindbars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 11:09 AM   #34
AllenTC2
Pokey

Oddometer: 434
Seems to me the kind of money you want to spend on a camp chair is gonna depend a lot on what kind of use you plan for it. If you just need something to set up to pull your boots off, or maybe for a few hours around a fire each evening, the cheapo Walmart chairs make sense. If you're planning on spending all day swilling beer and swapping stories in your chair (or use it at home as deck furniture) the Kermit might be more appealing.

I LOVE the looks of the Kermit. I have no doubt it's comfy.....but it ain't $130 comfy. I doubt I'd spend THAT much time lounging, so the cost of Walmart Special, and perhaps the time/$$$ to have the stitching reinforced, is more to my liking.
AllenTC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 11:29 AM   #35
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenTC2
I LOVE the looks of the Kermit. I have no doubt it's comfy.....but it ain't $130 comfy.
That's just it, it is that much more comfy and it's going to last a lot longer than any of those Wally World chairs. I take mine everywhere. On the bike, outdoor concerts, parties, etc...

Yes, the Kermit's a premium, but others will go through all 13 of those Wally World chairs before your Kermit starts looking worn and you'll be a lot more comfortable.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 11:31 AM   #36
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,363
I've tried most of them, but use three for various trips:

1. Kermit - Very well made, supremely comfortable, and they have great campsite patina. But on the downside, they're a PITA to setup/teardown, a bit bulky with hard parts protruding that will wear paint wherever they touch your bike, not really very light (lots of wood and steel rather than aluminum), and really not that small either (they won't fit in most panniers). A Kermit is really only marginally smaller than the cheap/durable alum/canvas folding chairs that are readily available and very durable. I like my Kermit, but it's not really a solution to the problem of a very small/light, easily-packed comfortable chair. And it's expensive. It appeals to the guy who'd rather have a cedar-strip canoe than a plastic one, despite the advantages of the plastic one.

2. Slings for air mattresses - They work surprisingly well and nothing is as light. Having some insulation under your bum is nice. An excellent choice but you do have to manage turning your chair back into a bed at the stroke of midnight and this is often a time when I would fail a campsite sobriety test for bed making. And you are DOWN on the ground which makes you feel a little like a gopher and more subject to the inevitable campfire smoke shifts.

3. Trilite - This is the smallest/lightest camp stool I've found that really works.

But it is a stool, not a chair, so those who require back support need not apply.

Just my $0.02, lots of other options too.

- Mark

markjenn screwed with this post 02-03-2009 at 11:40 AM
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 11:38 AM   #37
KneeKicker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,628
I've sat in the Kermit and I like it,it is a very nice chair. Would I take one over the $10 chair I have from Walmart, of course I would.

But will I shell out $130 for a camping chair.......no

Usually when I'm camping I'm busy keeping the fire going,cooking some food or drinking a beer,and I can drank beer sitting on about anything.

"I got so drunk last night I woke this morning and someone had shit my pants" Ron White
KneeKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 12:34 PM   #38
torags
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,457
It seems to me a camp chair arguement is as much a class arguement as a chair arguement.

Those that have the $ and want the best quality for their sorry butts buy a Kermit or Pico.

Those that don't have the $ make do (stools, sit on rocks, etc)

Its not better or worse, just IMHO
'07 HD XR 883R Sportster "Widow Maker"///Gone!
IBA #17225
torags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 04:33 PM   #39
Aberdeen
Gypsy Rider

Oddometer: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldrice
Here's mine. Nice chairs. Had 'em for a few years now and I like them because they're cheap, fairly light, pack reasonably small. And if they were to fall off the back I wouldn't be heart broken.

Walmart- $3.77 ea.

Can you tell I ride a KLR?

Oldrice-
I'm kinda in the same boat. Yes, Kermit's are great...I've had the pleasure of sitting in many of them that belonged to my buddies. I'm still on the fence with the price, and the same chair pictured above (in red) has held up quite nicely. I guess I don't need to pull the trigger on a Kermit yet. Plus, if someone decides to borrow mine for a bit and return it in pieces due to weight, I'm not heartbroken.

Just my .02 worth.

Cheers!!

2005 1200GS
2005 KLR650
1983 R80RT

BMWMOA# 55196
ABC# 21
IBA# 27873

"Rubber side down, and tear along dotted line..." - K.B.
Aberdeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 05:20 PM   #40
War Hammer
Evil Monkey

Oddometer: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by torags
It seems to me a camp chair arguement is as much a class arguement as a chair arguement.

Those that have the $ and want the best quality for their sorry butts buy a Kermit or Pico.

Its not better or worse, just IMHO
Spoken like a true BMW rider (who can't spell argument). It actually has nothing to do with class warfare or with how much money one has to spend. It is about how much one is willing to spend. We all assign different values to different things, and some just don't find the value the Kermit chair commensurate with its cost.

It could also have to do with the shape the rider is in and how badly he needs an extra cushy chair at the end of the day.
War Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 05:21 PM   #41
GS Addict
Pepperfool

Oddometer: 3,713
Sat in a Kermit and yes it's very comfortable, but at $130 too rich for me. If it packed smaller you might rekindle my interest.

What we really need is the Kermit comfort/design in a Titanium frame that will bundle down to 3x3x22" or smaller.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:27 PM   #42
marchyman
Cam Killer

Oddometer: 7,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by torags

That's not how it seems to works in practice. Those that don't have the $ make do by sitting in the Kermit owned by the guy who just got up to stir the fire or drain his bladder. Just saying.

// marc
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 07:38 PM   #43
Bicyclist
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 452
I'm retired with plenty of time and no money, so I borrowed a Kermit chair and made my own copy of it out of cherry.

George
Bicyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 08:08 PM   #44
GS Addict
Pepperfool

Oddometer: 3,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicyclist
I'm retired with plenty of time and no money, so I borrowed a Kermit chair and made my own copy of it out of cherry.

George
Careful 'bout them knockoff Kermits
Old 02-03-2009, 08:10 PM   #45
TheRackman
RideTodayItMayBeYourLast!

Oddometer: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by niceviewbehindbars
Campmor - $12.97 - Dimensions (closed): 23" x 16" x 3"

Fits perfect on the rack of my KLR. Very comfortable as well.

Is this a chair or a toilet?

+10 on the Kermit.
2011 Can-Am Spyder RT-SM5
TheRackman is offline   Reply With Quote