User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2009, 04:58 AM   #76
2MnB
Missing

Oddometer: 130
How about a stool?

I've used the Walk Stool from time to time in the garage and in front of a desk and campsite.
Packs pretty small, no backrest, armrest, or headrest, but damn fine for a stool.
Seems to be best price around.
http://www.extremeoutfitters.us/walk...olbasic50.aspx
2MnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 07:59 AM   #77
jswieter
Sweetman

Oddometer: 40
Chair

I found a sweet folding chair with back rest @ REI for $20-$30. It pakced preety small, but not sure if it fits in panniers. I carried mine in an Ortlieb bag with my tent and camping gear. Made of GoreTex and sturdy aluminum. Looked at the Kermits but they didn't do it for me.
jswieter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 06:33 PM   #78
KTMarty
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
Headless Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by euromotorcycles
Yes I know about the Kermit chair and it's a very good pick. There are also the chairs from GCI the PICO and the Trail sling that are sturdy , compact and quick to setup.Any of you have experience with the GCI chairs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTu_6-eZaCo

Trail Sling Ultralight Chair

I went ahead and bought the Trail Sling Ultralight chair from Campmor for $19.97. The reason I bought it was the size and weight. At only 16.5 inches long and weighs only 2lb 3 oz the chair fits nicely into my stock KTM 950 paniers.

The chair comes in a nice package

The storage bag has two compartments one for the chair frame and the other for the back Seat support. Here is a pic of the chair out of the storage bag

Here is the frame setup. The Frame is 22 inches long

Here is a pic of the side view of the frame. Stands at 22 inches

And the finish product

Here is a pic with me in it. The chair is very comfortable to sit in. I had no problems getting in or out of it. You can see the frame does not hit the back. I weigh in at 175lbs.
Hew euromotorcycles, I did not know I had a head less twin . I originally posted this in the thread 109. Do I get copy write payments? I'll Settle for a new chair

larrylarry75: I weigh 183 lbs with my head on. Would take another pic to prove it but too lazy to put the chair together.

Had the Sling chair now for a year and after sitting in it for an hour I get a little sore. Sure do like the compact size and weight though but would settle for more comfort.

I originally was thinking of getting the Sling Light but at $90 thought it was too pricey and wanted something that would fit in my panniers.

I just found this CradleLounger chair same as the Sling Light but only $20 and a little bigger. If only it would fold in half I would consider it.

Chair: 36" x 16" x 19.5"; 23 oz./ 91 x 41 x 50 cm; 748 gr.
Headrest: 16" x 14.5"; 3 oz./ 41 x 37 cm; 85 gr.

Weight 18 oz. (510 gms)
Size 26" x 16" x 1.5" (66cm x 41cm 3cm)
Maximum working load 250 lbs. (113kg)
Maximum design load 450 lbs. (204kg)

2010 KTM 450EXC (FSL)
06 KTM 950 Adventure (Orange)

Fire Road Closure Report

Dual Sport Tire price comarison

2008 Idaho ride

Camp Chair

KTMarty screwed with this post 03-08-2009 at 07:01 PM
KTMarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 07:46 PM   #79
KTMarty
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
Sling Chairs

Another thing I forgot to mention about Sling Chairs is that you can not sit close to a fire pit unless you are side ways. Also eating is a pain, no lap to put your plate on.

Going to look for a cheap folding chair. Check out this thread on Pico closeouts.

2010 KTM 450EXC (FSL)
06 KTM 950 Adventure (Orange)

Fire Road Closure Report

Dual Sport Tire price comarison

2008 Idaho ride

Camp Chair
KTMarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 03:46 AM   #80
JDLuke
Ravening for delight

Oddometer: 8,644
There's always a 'which oil do I clean my chain and tires with before putting it in my forks' argument over camp chairs, it seems.

I have the Thermarest chair sleeve, which I bought for myself when it was on clearance at Campmor. It's ok. I sprung for a Kermit chair, but that's for the wife, who needs more luxury at a campsite than I do. That being said, I find myself wanting one very badly, now that we've lived with it for a bit. I'm about 6'3" or so, and it's reasonably comfortable for me. She uses it all the time, it's great to take to school events and such, not just for camping trips.

This thread got me interested when I read the 'big and tall Kermit' comments. That could be one heckuva chair for a taller fella like myself. I'm narrow, though, so I wonder if it's going to be more 'big' or 'tall' in nature.
JDLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 02:05 PM   #81
TwoShots
Vagabond

Oddometer: 1,450
Thumb

GCI Quik-E-Seat

Very comfortable. Incredibly strong.
Eight reviews half way down this page.
About $35.00

Weight 4 pounds
Material Polyester
Construction Powder-coated steel
Folded dimensions 4 x 27 inches
Unfolded dimensions 27 x 17 x 17 inches
Seat height 16 inches
Capacity 300 pounds

TwoShots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 03:55 AM   #82
GSBS
FunHog

Oddometer: 3,876
Kermit = about $ of 1 tire...

...for most folks on this forum.

Why in the world wouldn't I pony up for a chair of proven design and great comfort that will last for decades of use for the price of a tire that will likely have to be replaced in a month or two?

But that's just me.

My Kermit easily fits into my Jesse panniers and assembles in seconds. I had one of the sling chairs and, sure, you can sit in it, provided you're careful to position yourself just right and are willing not to move for hours. Otherwise that framework is digging into your back.

Over 20 years ago on a 14-day kayak trip thru the Grand Canyon I learned that a chair is the ultimate camp luxury. Why would I want to have one that's not comfortable?
GSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 05:39 AM   #83
Wannabee
Survivor of Reality

Oddometer: 2,417
[quote=Oldrice]Here's mine. Nice chairs. Had 'em for a few years now and I like them because they're cheap, fairly light, pack reasonably small. And if they were to fall off the back I wouldn't be heart broken.

Walmart- $3.77 ea.

I have the same chair (mine is blue to match the DR!) Less than 5 dollars , comfy (I am 6'2" , far from thin!) And when it gets to the unusable stae , another 5 bucks and get going!!!
Old 03-10-2009, 06:11 AM   #84
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSBS

Why in the world wouldn't I pony up for a chair of proven design and great comfort that will last for decades of use for the price of a tire that will likely have to be replaced in a month or two?

But that's just me.

My Kermit easily fits into my Jesse panniers and assembles in seconds. I had one of the sling chairs and, sure, you can sit in it, provided you're careful to position yourself just right and are willing not to move for hours. Otherwise that framework is digging into your back.

Over 20 years ago on a 14-day kayak trip thru the Grand Canyon I learned that a chair is the ultimate camp luxury. Why would I want to have one that's not comfortable?
Pretty much sums it up. I'm a cheap fook and even I bought one....I got one cheap though
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 01:13 PM   #85
EvilClown
Reality show stunt double

Oddometer: 16,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264
Pretty much sums it up. I'm a cheap fook and even I bought one....I got one cheap though
As much as it pains me I agree with Kevin on this one.

He is cheap.

The future is no place to place your better days. ~ DMB

ECUADOR: Maintaining Rigid Flexibility
EvilClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 04:13 PM   #86
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilClown
As much as it pains me I agree with Kevin on this one.

He is cheap.
You know me too well my friend....
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 07:34 PM   #87
* SHAG *
Unstable

Oddometer: 4,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSBS

But that's just me.

I borrowed a friends for a long trip back in 2004. I bought one right after he pried it out of my hands a month later. It's worth the price
05-GS- Rock Red 91k
06-GS- Dakar-40k Sold
* SHAG * is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 09:26 PM   #88
DirtyBiker
Roads are to explore

Oddometer: 366
Kermit & Walmart chair

I own almost every chair shown in this thread:
· Two-shots triangle chair – nice back support but hurts the bum after the third day in the saddle and after 3 days I can’t sit in it.
· Markjens trilite chair - great packing chair but only bring it if you plan on not sitting a lot.
· Markjens sling for the air mattress – but once you put a hole in your sleeping pad due to the sitting on it in the dirt you will regret it all night long or in my case three night until I was able to get a patch from a store.
· Walmarts $5 camp chair – all around great value but not a small packing chair.
· *Kermit – not a fast put together chair but takes a beating, compact and very comfortable especially with the beer holder. My favorite ever since I sat on one.

For multi-day overnight adventures especially where there are no benches or camping spots the Kermit chair is always with me on my DRZ400S and my R1200GS. All other times I bring the $5 walmart chair – who’s going to steal that
DirtyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 09:56 PM   #89
HORSEMOTO
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Kermit For Me

comfort And Style. Workmanship Of The Years Gone By----i Am Very Happy With My Red One. Fun Little Chair For Use Anywhere, Hence The Adventure''s Perfect Choice.
HORSEMOTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 03:01 PM   #90
TwoShots
Vagabond

Oddometer: 1,450
Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyBiker
I own almost every chair shown in this thread:
· Two-shots triangle chair – nice back support but hurts the bum after the third day in the saddle and after 3 days I can’t sit in it.
· Markjens trilite chair - great packing chair but only bring it if you plan on not sitting a lot.
· Markjens sling for the air mattress – but once you put a hole in your sleeping pad due to the sitting on it in the dirt you will regret it all night long or in my case three night until I was able to get a patch from a store.
· Walmarts $5 camp chair – all around great value but not a small packing chair.
· *Kermit – not a fast put together chair but takes a beating, compact and very comfortable especially with the beer holder. My favorite ever since I sat on one.

For multi-day overnight adventures especially where there are no benches or camping spots the Kermit chair is always with me on my DRZ400S and my R1200GS. All other times I bring the $5 walmart chair – who’s going to steal that
Hey!
Don't misunderstand my suggestion. The original post was asking about what might be packable for his treks. Hence my posting along with other good ones.

In the end, though, I'd suggest not bringing a chair at all. I never take one on the bike anymore even if I'm camping because:
  • It's just more crap to tote around and little return for the space occupied.
  • After riding all day, I don't find myself wanting to sit down that much when off the bike.
  • If I do want to sit down, 99 of a 100 times there will be picnic table, stump or something else to sit on.
To each his/her own, but packing a chair makes about as much sense to me as packing a laptop.
TwoShots is offline   Reply With Quote