Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2010, 10:38 PM   #1981
Digiamo
Dan nyc

Oddometer: 793
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smellyhound
Ha! traveling with the Fam. Got stuck on the other side at the Keystone/Port Townsend Ferry dock in the cage on Friday (no reservations... shit!). Watched an assortment of bikes go by. It made me sad. Then I realized it was an Adventure just the same... the 3 of us in the Death Wagon Crossover SUV, on our way to sights unseen. Spent the weekend in Ocean Shores. Was a nice trip. Now... where's that fuggin egg AJ ??!!!??? Oh wait... on our way to Glacier for a couple days... hold onto it for a few more .. please?
BTW if anybody doesnt know and wants to ride the "Going To The Sun" road one last time, this is the year to do it. Rumor has it the road will be closed this year. Apparnetly the costs of keeping it open has forced them to close it to everybody... except the tour buses those who generate revenue and contributed most generously to some political figures re-election campaign. Sadly I will be seeing it for my first (and probably last) time in a car (wife doesnt ride ).
Well you seem to have a good attitude about all the things that aren't going your way. Bikes get to roll onto most of these ferries without a reservation.

Far as that Egg goes, me and Georgette are rolling south to visit a friend in Yachats, OR tomorrow from here in Port Townsend.
Hoping that Egg gets placed somwhere in striking distance by then.
Digiamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 12:12 AM   #1982
Smellyhound
Happy Wanderer

Oddometer: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digiamo
Well you seem to have a good attitude about all the things that aren't going your way. Bikes get to roll onto most of these ferries without a reservation.

Far as that Egg goes, me and Georgette are rolling south to visit a friend in Yachats, OR tomorrow from here in Port Townsend.
Hoping that Egg gets placed somwhere in striking distance by then.
If I didnt have a good attitude my wife and both adult "Chillins" would have days ago disappeared into a shallow grave somewhere between Deception Pass and Yakima (not serious.. it's a PNW Serial Killer, facade some of us pull off better than others).
Should have known better than starting family vacation on Friday the 13th.. But it's an Adventure... right?
If I had my scoot the fam wouldnt have been with me, and as much as I love them...yeah.... I have to admit... the vacation just wouldnt have been the same... It was good.. in spite of the setbacks it was good. So where is that friggin egg!!!!!

Really though.. WTF is with the pics.. the one in this thread is NOTHING like what was posted on the previous thread.. I'm just sayin. I mean .. Helloooooo. "Pine Mountian Observatory" ???? Where in the hell did THAT come from? BTW F alll of YFF who want it back down in Cali... you snooze you lose... Best kept in an area that appreciates a good adventure 24/7.. not just when it's convenient . I mean really.. couple weeks without being touched??? Thats offensive.
-Peterman-

Smellyhound screwed with this post 08-17-2010 at 12:54 AM
Smellyhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 02:52 AM   #1983
EvilClown
Reality show stunt double

Oddometer: 15,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Jam
What do you all think about stepping this up just a bit? A real ADVenture?
I'm thinking still fully accessable by ANY Dual-Sport bike, big or small, but maybe just far enough away from society to make y'all get just a bit DIRTY finding it?

Whadya think.
Anything we can do to make this thread even more stagnant can't be bad...just make sure you post in in another forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinkerfluid
#2 Dirt is allowed; however, let everyone know that the route to the tag includes dirt roads. Also, use your judgement on placing the tag to ensure that someone else will most likely come and get it, i.e. don't turn this into the "lets see who can find the most obscure tag location in history" thread.

Just trying to make it into the next TOR whining video.

The future is no place to place your better days. ~ DMB

ECUADOR: Maintaining Rigid Flexibility
EvilClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 05:38 AM   #1984
scout18
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 900
Hey Patrick46 Looks like I was wrong and missed your own epic PU and drop. Nice job..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick46
Drop! Drop! Drop!!!

OK all you North American TAG players.....the game is back ON!!

On hwy 101 on the Southern Oregon Coastline, is a small fishing town called Port Orford. At the Southern end of Port Orford, is a Tourist Information Center, which is also home to Battle Rock Park.
Battle Rock, a dominate site on this spectacular portion of Oregon's beach, was the site of the historic battle between the first landing party of white settlers (Captain Tichenor's crew of nine men) and a local Qua-to-mah band of Athapascan speaking natives. The event of June 9, 1851 was the beginning of the settling of Port Orford. Tichenor dreamed of Port Orford being a supply town, with a road to the mines in the Rogue River Valley and the Upper Klamath River in California. His dream of a supply town never materialized, however he did operate the first sawmill on the south coast, and built the ship Alaska in 1857.

http://www.portorfordoregon.com/battlerock.html

Here is the TAG shot...

Walk up to the sign and look down the little trail right behind it...

see the fire hydrant down the trail...the EGG and his bag of goodies are hiding under the brush right behind it...(as shown here by the Lovely Miss Pamela. {daughter #2)

SO...the game is ON!!! Someone go get it!!! Let's get this game in motion where it belongs!!

scout18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 05:54 AM   #1985
scout18
Studly Adventurer

Hey Apple Jam. 450 miles through some gorgeous country is always a good day. That gravel wasn't too bad. I got it up to 70 before the first cattle guard. I was kind of chasing the end of the daylight to get in there. Did you see any paragliders on your way in and out?. maybe send the egg to Granite or Fort Rock and show off some more of Oregon.

Old 08-17-2010, 04:47 PM   #1986
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer

Oddometer: 6,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by scout18
Hey Apple Jam. 450 miles through some gorgeous country is always a good day. That gravel wasn't too bad. I got it up to 70 before the first cattle guard. I was kind of chasing the end of the daylight to get in there. Did you see any paragliders on your way in and out?. maybe send the egg to Granite or Fort Rock and show off some more of Oregon.
It was a GREAT ride!! Thanks for the timing. A neat spot to go to also; I'd never been there before.

I didn't leave Hood River until about 12:30 and flew the Forest Pavers to Detroit, then slabbed 22/20 the rest of the way to Bend. The bottom straight part of the gravel on the road up the hill was great, I had to slow down for all the cows on the other side of that Cattle Guard, though. Got some fresh shit on my tire & under my fender....phew!! Wanted to fly by 'em, but don't like to spook Livestock, + they might think they're deer and jump in front of me and commit suicide. No Paragliders that night.

Got into The Dalles to meet my wife, from Hwy 97/197, @ 8:45pm, after my Burger King stop in Madras. 450 miles; 8 hours 15 minutes, including two 1/2 hour food breaks.

I think I might show off some of Oregon right near home. I took a long enough ride to pick it up, I think.

You PDXers listening?? I'm gonna make it easy and sweet for y'all. I WILL suggest you take Hwy 26, to Zig Zag, through Lolo Pass, just to take the long sweet way. Sweeeeet one lane Forest Paver there, booooy!!

Quote:
Now... where's that fuggin egg AJ ??!!!???
Quote:
So where is that friggin egg!!!!!
I think I'm gonna take a little ride tonight.........
With a special little EGG!!

It's only gonna have SOME decent gravel (street bikable) to a beautiful little spot.
Pix of location to follow tonight!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilClown
Anything we can do to make this thread even more stagnant can't be bad...just make sure you post in in another forum.
I looked at the rules first! Gotta play fair, mama always said!!
But I will post a link to this Thread in our local PNW Forum to encourage our locals to take part

...then that land should be open for public use" (peterman)
Apple Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 05:30 PM   #1987
scout18
Studly Adventurer

Maybe take another ride. I think that egg and I have some unfinished business.

Old 08-17-2010, 10:44 PM   #1988
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer

Quote:
Maybe take another ride. I think that egg and I have some unfinished business.
Here Ya Go, Scout!!
I think you did a crappy job "tagging" the egg, by the way. I know you did it on the fly, but.......
I believe you might have some unfinished business there !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Jam
I think I'm gonna take a little ride tonight.........
With a special little EGG!!
See the MAIN TAG THREAD (linky below):
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...29115&page=133
Well the EGG has been laid. Again. Well, after getting properly "tagged" !!

Are you ready for an "Adventure"?

Just inside the East side of the Mt. Hood National Forest is Ottertail Lake. It has a measly two-site campground right on this georgeous little mountain lake.
You get to go past Punchbowl Falls on the West Fork of the Hood River.

Can't really see the Falls from this bridge, you're on the topside of it, and you'd have to hike down to it.

This is the ugly view of the other side of the bridge you'll cross.

You go up this gravel Forest Road 10-1/2 miles. Totally street bike/street tire capable; it's a pretty good gravel road. I'd take my old Shadow, easy. Wouldn't want to do it on a sportbike, however.
Very few washboard spots, very few potholes. Killer ride

And, of course, on the way up, I get the required pic for Ladybug....

10-1/2 miles of this gravel road and you get to the lake.
This is a picture of the second campsite you come to as you enter this campground at the lake:

Each site has a picnic table, the second site has a sittin' log with the name BERT scratched deep into it.

This is the site to enter. Chances of someone being there on weekdays is slim, but it'll get occupied on the weekend likely, and you'll have to crash their site to get to the drop spot.

See the little trail my bike is on in those last two pictures?
Walk down that trail to the lake, between this tree and this rock:

Yeah, that rock:

Now look down on the lake side of that rock. See the Corona Bottle Cap on top of that little flat rock down there?

Look Closer:

Under that tiny bit of dried fern, under the rock and bottle cap, is the prize:

NOW GO GET IT !!
I have a feeling this one's not gonna sit very long. A little bug-in-my-ear (OK, a pleading PM) has asked me to hurry up with my EGG drop.
This little bug is quite a ways away, but apparently filled with ambition.

Good Luck ADVriders!!

Apple Jam screwed with this post 08-17-2010 at 10:56 PM
Old 08-18-2010, 04:23 AM   #1989
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 9,898
Way to go Apple Jam - I was hoping it might make it's way across the Columbia and north but it didn't make it this time. Maybe next drop will get it coming this way. Hint, hint, hint

Thanks for taking time to enjoy the flowers.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 08:17 AM   #1990
Patrick46
visionary

Oddometer: 2,555
and I quote....
Quote:
Maybe Idaho or Nevada, Cali., 12 miles from shore. I'd suggest Washington but Eff them

www.artworks-unlimited.com
Patrick46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 11:01 AM   #1991
Digiamo
Dan nyc

Jonsing for my PRECIOUS

Great Drop AJ.
Just missed a grab opportunity.
We just came through that area yesterday and are southbound through Eugene today.
We'll make an attempt on our northbound leg in about a week.

Here is our trip so far:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=605200

Looks like I'll be going cold turkey for MY PRECIOUS for a while.

Maybe I should go to a twelve step group for Egg Addiction
Old 08-21-2010, 07:11 AM   #1992
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug0048
Way to go Apple Jam - Thanks for taking time to enjoy the flowers.
Thanks for giving all us ADVers a good reason to stop and enjoy the flowers

It's the weekend. Somebody wants to ride to the Hood River Valley, right?
I've given you the excuse......

NOW RIDE!!
Old 08-26-2010, 08:46 PM   #1993
Digiamo
Dan nyc

Thumb On it!

MY PRECIOUS! I am on my way, Oh great Fertility Orb.

Old 08-27-2010, 08:09 AM   #1994
Patrick46
visionary

Oddometer: 2,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digiamo
MY PRECIOUS! I am on my way, Oh great Fertility Orb.

Way-ta-go Danny!!! Woo-Hoo!!!

I waz starting to think that poor Mr. EGG had been forgotten about...but didn't wanna speak up and jinx it for him!

www.artworks-unlimited.com
Patrick46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 10:19 PM   #1995
Digiamo
Dan nyc

A funny thing happened on the way to the TAG location...

While on our way up from SF, CA, we were riding along northbound on Oregon SR 211 into Sandy. When we turned east on SR 26 we saw westbound runners as if it was a fun run or a fund raiser of some sort. After about 5 miles the runners only thickened. We eliminated the possibility of a 5 or 10 K run and flipped over to thinking it was a marathon, but why the elongated spacing over many miles?
We got all the way to Mt. Hood's high plateau and runners were still coming. That's over thirty miles.
We now have a motel at Hood River and we googled the run.
It's a relay from high on the Mount Hood Plateau all the way to Seaside, OR, a total of 12,000 runners over 197 miles.
I never saw so many runners over such a great distance.

More on the North American TAG soon.