User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2007, 12:57 PM   #1
wachs OP
just passin' through

Oddometer: 4,776
The Royal Peacock and the Black Rock

Had some big ideas for new tracks in south eastern Oregon and northern Nevada. A new 525EXC and my buddy Stihlrigg on his monster 950 all ready to roll out the first day for an easy 250 miles or so to a hotspring camp. Another buddy AW was originally going to truck out there and meet us with his KTM 450 but a bad crash 2 weeks prior had busted a finger - bad for him good for me. I circled his bike like a vulture and ended up with his 25 L tank, tall-soft seat foam and this real nice kickstand. My friend from Metolius Climbing built me some new bags and with everything else all fresh we took off about noon on monday the 18th. Our plan was to meet another rider in Nevada at the northwest corner of the Black Rock Desert on tuesday in time for dinner at a guest ranch down there.

Met up with Stihrigg at his place and we rolled out China Hat to the dirt. Aired down and now the fun finally begins.

Stihlrigg has been riding all winter and is very ‘in command’ of this beast. It’s warm but not hot and very dusty so we play that leap frog game taking tons of pictures and actually got a few nice ones. My bike is a little weird with all that weight on it (should’ve adjusted the sag - that was dumb) but I figure to get used to it and we aren’t riding super aggro with all the gear on anyway.

Typical desert scene as we transition out of the pines and into desert proper. These roads are really fun because we know them and so make really good time. 2 guys can haul ass and cover country quickly.

The dual Q’s on this thing sound very impressive.

So we make it to this lookout and the lonely wierdo that is always there tries to talk non-stop so you can’t leave. He’s not that bad, just kidding.

We came around a corner and these guys ran across the road. Never seen these fellas in this area before.

Made it to Christmas Valley for fuel even though it’d only been about 90 miles. The next reach was a long section and just in case, we wanted the peace of mind. It’s getting hot now too and we bump into these fellas on street bikes for a little chat. They were headed to the coast I think and we were headed into the oven.

Everything is working well, the bikes are running very strong and the weather? Well, it ain’t rainin’.

we have a crap-load of photos so this might take awhile . . .

http://www.altrider.com/product/cate...rch/hemisphere
wachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 01:02 PM   #2
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,571
Woohoo! I love threads by Wachs!

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 01:18 PM   #3
KMA
KicksMyAss on BDS

Oddometer: 109
Yeah! Wachs made it back alive . Can't wait to hear more

KMA screwed with this post 06-25-2007 at 01:55 PM
KMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 02:17 PM   #4
wachs OP
just passin' through

From Christmas Valley we roll south to this cool canyon that goes south east towards hwy 395. Always looking for that shade patch to take a break about every hour or so. Both of us commenting how fast we can go with just 2 bikes.

And then, it started. Front flat on the 950. No worries, we’ve been through this a lot, and we have plenty of tubes, patches and air, it’s not that hot and there’s a friendly breeze blowing up on this high desert plateau.

Classic, man-on-knees-communing-with-the-rubber shot.

We get that all sorted out but find a small tear in the carcass of the 606 front tire on the 950. Hmmm, hope that doesn’t get any worse as we are in rocky country already and haven’t even seen Nevada yet.

It’s kinda late in the day but we know where we are and what lies ahead to the hot spring. Tire seems fine, we’re back on the gas now.

Wanted to stop at this little track that heads into these cool hills to show it to Stihlrigg. I’d come through here a couple years ago on a solo trip and it had been pouring down rain. Along this big powerline it was clay mud mixed into rocks and gravel. I didn’t know exaclty where I was but figured the ancient service track went somewhere and just followed it through a million little water crossings. I remembered it as ‘fun’ though and will someday retrack it backwards.

The sun is trying to go down but got hung up on the horizon. We gas up in Plush, OR (which is open until 9:pm everyday now) and grab some frosties for camp.

Gotta ride a little bit of pave but it goes around this beautiful lake and wetlands. Tons of birds, last year I saw a blue-headed duck, I think.

My camera is too big for these shots and the button is in the wrong spot.

See? The sun just got stuck right there. We're heading up out of the desert into the mountains and hoping we can find an easy camp. Potentially, there can be a bunch of people in the Antelope Refuge and 2 noisy bikes rolling in after dark is, well, just too dang bad.

Old 06-25-2007, 02:42 PM   #5
wachs OP
just passin' through

Stihlrigg has these cool lights up near his controls. Not a great photo but they really work. The temp dropped significantly as we gained altitude and the sun sunk behind the hills.

Ha ha, found a perfect little spot and the bikes puked out all the stuff. Already it’s fire season so no campfires but the spring was very enjoyable. Don’t think we took any pictures of that though.

We rode 208 miles today and had a blast. Bikes are running great and the 525 with 14/45 gearing hauls ass for sure.

wachs screwed with this post 06-25-2007 at 02:53 PM
Old 06-25-2007, 03:54 PM   #6
Flyin Brian
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
Hey Dave, glad to hear your trip went well! Looks like the tank bag fit pretty decent. Looking forward to the rest.............
Flyin Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 04:02 PM   #7
wachs OP
just passin' through

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyin Brian
Hey Dave, glad to hear your trip went well! Looks like the tank bag fit pretty decent. Looking forward to the rest.............

oh yeah - thanks a ton for loaning me that - it fit perfect and really helped. I'll clean it up and get it back to you.

Old 06-25-2007, 04:05 PM   #8
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,550
Nice riding!! What size is that gas tank on the 525?
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 04:11 PM   #9
wachs OP
just passin' through

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
Nice riding!! What size is that gas tank on the 525?

thanks - 25L tank

Old 06-25-2007, 04:34 PM   #10
deadbird
Very Large Bird

Oddometer: 149
Wink More!!!!!!!

Dave,
Welcome back.
Since i flaked on the ride ....show me MORE!!!
My bike is dialed for the next one.
I may get out to the BlackRock for some pyromania and some dirt biking around the 4th of july.
Quit your job, change your oil and meet me there.
-Ezra
I'll bring the refreshments
deadbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 06:40 PM   #11
brad21
Farting in a Fan

Oddometer: 3,556
Quit your job, that's a good one!

Just kidding Dave...

More please.

BRC Member #49252 JOIN TODAY! https://www.sharetrails.org/support/join-or-contribute
brad21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 08:01 PM   #12
Buck Nasty
Rhinestone Cowboy

Oddometer: 215
Nice Dave! As usual, you keep us begging for more. Now I gotta wait for part 2...

Bring it!

*2004 DRZ400S
www.benddualsport.com
*Honorary member of Team Oatmeal Pie!
My first mega ride..."Slabtastic Voyage"
Buck Nasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 08:35 PM   #13
taco250
wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 1,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Nasty
Nice Dave! As usual, you keep us begging for more. Now I gotta wait for part 2...

Bring it!
Plus One, oh Wachsmaster!

I think I saw some Hamms on the ground in that last pic. I thought you were more of the microbrew type?
taco250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 10:52 PM   #14
StihlRigg
Dog Farkler

Oddometer: 519
Nice start Wachs, unfortunately my pics for the first few days still need to be uploaded from our friends laptop. He has been busy since he got back to Santa Cruz and has not had a chance to get all the pics up on the smumug account. Hopefully that will happen in the next couple days.

In the mean time I'll comment about the flat tyre. Totally my fault. I aired down to 28lbs(D606) in the front and 22lbs(D908rr) in the back when we hit the deep gravel just out of town. I have not used these tyres before so I put them on a couple of weeks before we left in order to figure out what pressures would work for the trip. Turns out 28lbs was not enough. I thought I had it pretty well dialed since the Pirelli MT21 worked great at that pressure and less. After the new tube was in I aired up to 30lbs because I figured the flat was only a fluke.

I didn't notice the tear in the carcass till the tyre was back on the rim. We determined that it "wasn't that bad" and continued on.

This was a great start to a crazy adventure for the both of us.

The side track with all the creek crossings that Wachs mentioned he rode solo in the rain I do have pics of, but that will have to wait till the last day of the trip.

All this black and white on my "reply" screen is depressing. Hopefully I can add some more color to the report soon(more pics).

Peace
"Did you hit him? You shoulda hit him, right in the throat. How dare he. Next time someone expresses concern for my well-being while i'm sprawled out in a public place, i'm gonna pull out their tongue and use it to paint my boat, and then i'm coming for their family."--SinFrenas

07 Husky SMR510
06 950s
06 Husky TE450
90 KX500
04 SDG mini
StihlRigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 09:57 AM   #15
Flyin Brian
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachs
oh yeah - thanks a ton for loaning me that - it fit perfect and really helped. I'll clean it up and get it back to you.
Looking forward to getting it back. I secretly installed a GPS tracking device since I know you're old school and use maps and binoculars.
I'll be selling the tracks if anybodies interested.......
Flyin Brian is offline   Reply With Quote