Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2009, 07:05 AM   #16
J.W.Mudd
"Moto Loco"

Oddometer: 1,071
Thumb Back in the days....

Wow what a change!

Back in the 70's & 80's I would spend six months a year working in Nepal, guiding mountaineering trips. At that time there were maybe 12 bikes total in the whole country! Between trips I would rent a Honda 250 dirt bike and take off exploring the trails and backroads. Ah those were the days!!!

Pakistan was another area I spent time in leading trips. Now there is a place that offers some wild riding areas! Swat Valley, Hunza, Skardu, Karakorum Highway beyond words!!!!

Thanks for sharing your adventure and photos!

Let's Moto!

www.worldadventures.smugmug.com
J.W.Mudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 04:09 AM   #17
rogerdodger OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by JED
NZ and Bangkok etc. is there any place you havenot been? NZ has so many great roads and easy access to motorcycles if you have the time get on two wheels and lose yourself!!!!! Have fun. Check your PM
yeah lots of places i havent been, thats what Im trying to put right now.
rogerdodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 04:31 AM   #18
rogerdodger OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
I want to finish this little report with a word about the Annapurna range. Its part of the himalayas west of Kathmandu, over by Nepals second city Pokhara. its a beautiful place. I did a 250 km hike around the range that took 2 weeks. You walk anti clockwise, and at almost dead on 12.00 you hit Thorung Pass at 5,600 meters. Makes for a pretty tough days hiking to get you over that pass and back down to Muktinath at about 3500 meters. Now the reason Im mentioning this place is it would make a fantastic adventure ride. A road of some description was blasted in through valleys over the last couple of years. With a bit of luck i'll be back in October to do the ride. This is some of what you get to see.

Your only a stones throw from Tibet at this point..ok well youd have to have a pretty strong arm to reach Tibet, but its only about 70km

where else in the world can you ride and say, "look out for that yak!"

Im told parts of the road get washed out on a regular basis during the rainey season. Even in the dry time when I was there, you could see washed out parts that people just gingerly skirted around.

Ok well thats it.
rogerdodger is offline   Reply With Quote