Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2009, 05:52 AM   #1
sysie OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
800GS first 1000KM

Morning guys,

I took delivery of my new 800GS last week

I took the wife for a 100km spin the next day and then read that you should not load the bike during run-in period.. ( I have kept her below 5000 rpm all the time)

How do you feel, how should you run a 800 in ?
sysie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 06:24 AM   #2
tmex
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,039
I ride new bikes just the way I intend to ride them when they are broken in - I don't do anything any differently during the so-called break in period. There are lots of schools of thought out there - take your pick. I do believe it is a good idea to change out the oil at 600 miles (1000 km).
Old 02-02-2009, 06:36 AM   #3
ka5ysy
Doug

Oddometer: 821
Wait a minute.... I have to go put on my flack jacket

Ok... Various speeds, with some hard accelerations etc. ... See Motoman suggestions. I did not know he existed for a lot of years and had been running in my engines like that for years before I saw the article based on mechanic recommendations and knowing several engineers who really were into such stuff for aircraft piston engines.

I do change oil (dinosaur oil) and filters at 100 miles, 300 and 500 miles, then at the first official oil change go to full synthetic with the proper ratings. The engine has no idea what kind of oil you are using so the synthetic vs. dinosaur oil argument simply wastes bandwidth. Synthetic is simply superior in high temp hard use applications, which is why it is used in turbine engines.

Modern engines are machined to much higher tolerances than 40 or 50 years ago, so the run-in period is primarily to set the rings properly, which has probably been done during initial testing at the factory, and when your local friendly mechanic at the dealership took out the bike for his test drive after setup service.

Nice bike, by the way. I took a ride on a new 800GS a couple of weeks ago, and it is a very nice machine.

2011 BMW R1200RT
MSF/RidersEdge #127350, NAUI #36288

ka5ysy screwed with this post 02-02-2009 at 06:42 AM
ka5ysy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 07:01 AM   #4
tmex
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by ka5ysy
Wait a minute.... I have to go put on my flack jacket

Ok... Various speeds, with some hard accelerations etc. ... See Motoman suggestions. I did not know he existed for a lot of years and had been running in my engines like that for years before I saw the article based on mechanic recommendations and knowing several engineers who really were into such stuff for aircraft piston engines.

I do change oil (dinosaur oil) and filters at 100 miles, 300 and 500 miles, then at the first official oil change go to full synthetic with the proper ratings. The engine has no idea what kind of oil you are using so the synthetic vs. dinosaur oil argument simply wastes bandwidth. Synthetic is simply superior in high temp hard use applications, which is why it is used in turbine engines.

Modern engines are machined to much higher tolerances than 40 or 50 years ago, so the run-in period is primarily to set the rings properly, which has probably been done during initial testing at the factory, and when your local friendly mechanic at the dealership took out the bike for his test drive after setup service.

Nice bike, by the way. I took a ride on a new 800GS a couple of weeks ago, and it is a very nice machine.
Nice??? Is that all you can say?? It is AWESOME!
Old 02-02-2009, 07:55 AM   #5
One Eye Mike
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmex
I ride new bikes just the way I intend to ride them when they are broken in - I don't do anything any differently during the so-called break in period. There are lots of schools of thought out there - take your pick. I do believe it is a good idea to change out the oil at 600 miles (1000 km).
This is exactly how I break my bikes in, and my GS8 was no different.
And yes, it's freaki'n awesome...............
One Eye Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 08:46 AM   #6
Desert Dave
Enjoying the moment

Oddometer: 2,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by sysie

I took the wife for a 100km spin the next day and then read that you should not load the bike during run-in period.. ( I have kept her below 5000 rpm all the time)
The bike would be fine with a passenger if you keep the rpms up, I wouldn't lug the motor though.

I lean towards the motoman break-in myself. Notice the importance is NOT to just ride it like you stole it, but lots of compression braking, which I do excessive amounts of for the first 25 miles ( at least half of that are off the gas) and all backroads for at least a few hundred miles before I touch open highway.

No matter what method you trust one thing pretty much agreed upon by everyone is it's best to vary engine speed as much as possible. The problem with many break in rpm limits is that riders buy the bike and spend most of the break in period in a narrow rpm band at that limit or 2K under, which is about the worst thing you can do. I don't know how many time I've seen riders break in a bike on open highway at steady speeds, most manuals warn against this, but to many new owners just pick up on the limits.

Desert Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 08:29 PM   #7
M N B
would rather be riding

Oddometer: 1,122
I tried to vary the rpm and not wind it up above 5k or so during my first 1000 miles. For the most part I suceeded. But not entirely... This bike begs you to have fun with it.
2003 Husqvarna TE610e
1997 BMW K1100LT Special Edition
M N B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 09:48 PM   #8
Bushav8r
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Quote:
Morning guys,

I took delivery of my new 800GS last week

How do you feel, how should you run a 800 in ?

Drive it like you stole it.
Bushav8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 02:57 PM   #9
zaner32
In over my head

Oddometer: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by M N B
I tried to vary the rpm and not wind it up above 5k or so during my first 1000 miles. For the most part I suceeded. But not entirely... This bike begs you to have fun with it.
That bike just begs to be revved. I have to admit, I tried to keep mine under 5000 RPM for the first 200 Km or so with a lot of engine braking. But after that I had a bit of fun.
zaner32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 03:12 PM   #10
foobar
I remain calm

Oddometer: 20
Motoman!

Just finished run-in on my f8.
foobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 05:28 PM   #11
TheCowboy
back in the saddle again

Oddometer: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushav8r
Drive it like you stole it.
Yeh, what he said!

Cowboy2
TheCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 12:50 PM   #12
sysie OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
Lekerrrrr, I have just over 600km on her now... keeping her under 5000rpm is like having a bottle of brandy at home but no coke so it should be another week before the 1st service.... really looking forward to feel what she is doing between 5000 and 8000rpm

what do they do on the first service ? ? ?
sysie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 03:54 PM   #13
Boet
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Quote:
Lekerrrrr, I have just over 600km on her now... keeping her under 5000rpm is like having a bottle of brandy at home but no coke so it should be another week before the 1st service.... really looking forward to feel what she is doing between 5000 and 8000rpm

what do they do on the first service ? ? ?
Klippies or Paarl?? Howzit Boet i saw a photo of your bike and was curious about the saddlebags you have, can you share please. How's Gangsters Paradise?

Left Somerset West nearly 12 years ago and now Living on Vancouver Island, just got over 700k's on my F8 and going to service next week, nearly 200k's to the closest BMW shop - cheers!
Boet is offline   Reply With Quote