ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2009, 11:52 AM   #136
Howard70
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: New Mexico
Oddometer: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadpedal
Looks like the idea is to further stabilize the cans on whatever you mount them to...
I was probably using more velcro straps than necessary in that photo - but it was the first trip and I wasn't sure how stable the central mount would be.

I've found that the Rotopax opening is larger than ideal for the Koplin mounts so there is some movement on the central mount. I usually use one of the velcro straps to remove that movement. I think the new aluminum mounts directly from Jason are slightly larger and may limit that movement via a better fit.

Howard Snell
Howard70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 02:18 PM   #137
RotopaX
Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Oddometer: 28
RotopaX 1 Gallon Pack and Mount

Hi, Thanks Again for all your interest and purchases on our new 1G.

Check out rotopax.com for more photos of the Fuel Pack and Mounts.

Call me with any questions at 801-299-1885. Jason.
RotopaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 02:20 PM   #138
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper
 
Bob's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Location: Corral de Tierra CA, Ketchum ID
Oddometer: 2,454
Jason, thanks for all the work
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 10:15 AM   #139
jet123
Using all my gears
 
jet123's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Ft Collins, CO
Oddometer: 4,500
Will I light my arse on fire?

I have never carried spare fuel on a bike before. So I am curious as to how well they hold up to laying the bike down on trail rides when carrying these tanks off the rear side racks (like Dirtbagz, saddle bags, etc)?

Of course, this assumes they are carried in such a way to have adequate space from the exhaust (2-4 inches?) if you carried 2 of them. Earlier in this thread, there was a picture of one mounted behind a saddlebag - that's the carry method I am referring to.

What about strapping them to side of the existing gas tank? Yes, it would be top heavy & assuming you did not interfere with the steering or rider's leg position (too much). But just curious as to impact resistance when carrying these containers 'on the side' - be it in the back or next to the main tank.
__________________
John

http://rerax.net/index.html
jet123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 07:21 PM   #140
DirtFarmer
Has anyone seen my mother
 
DirtFarmer's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Kansas
Oddometer: 2,537







__________________
Well, sister, the time has come for me to ride hard and fast. - Rooster Cogburn
DirtFarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 10:29 AM   #141
jet123
Using all my gears
 
jet123's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Ft Collins, CO
Oddometer: 4,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet123
I have never carried spare fuel on a bike before. So I am curious as to how well they hold up to laying the bike down on trail rides when carrying these tanks off the rear side racks (like Dirtbagz, saddle bags, etc)?

Of course, this assumes they are carried in such a way to have adequate space from the exhaust (2-4 inches?) if you carried 2 of them. Earlier in this thread, there was a picture of one mounted behind a saddlebag - that's the carry method I am referring to.

What about strapping them to side of the existing gas tank? Yes, it would be top heavy & assuming you did not interfere with the steering or rider's leg position (too much). But just curious as to impact resistance when carrying these containers 'on the side' - be it in the back or next to the main tank.
No really, inquiring minds wanna know

I suspect the impact resistance is on par with OEM tanks from trail/dual-sport bikes?
__________________
John

http://rerax.net/index.html
jet123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 11:03 PM   #142
RotopaX
Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Oddometer: 28
Very Nice Install!

I really like the nice clean install of the 1G RotopaX on your bike! Don't forget you can always simply add the RotopaX Extension and a second 1G on top of the first if you need to carry 2 Gallons of Fuel...

Do you mind if I add the photos to the RotopaX website?

Thanks Again to everyone for their GREAT support in these tough times!

Jason...
RotopaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 01:46 PM   #143
DirtFarmer
Has anyone seen my mother
 
DirtFarmer's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Kansas
Oddometer: 2,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotopaX
I really like the nice clean install of the 1G RotopaX on your bike! Don't forget you can always simply add the RotopaX Extension and a second 1G on top of the first if you need to carry 2 Gallons of Fuel...

Do you mind if I add the photos to the RotopaX website?

Thanks Again to everyone for their GREAT support in these tough times!

Jason...
If you are referring to my pictures, post away.

Would you like a link?
__________________
Well, sister, the time has come for me to ride hard and fast. - Rooster Cogburn
DirtFarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 05:25 PM   #144
Motoriley
Even my posing is virtual
 
Motoriley's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2003
Location: Deepest darkest burbs of Montreal
Oddometer: 2,650
Thumb Rotopax

Got my 1 gallon can and aluminum mount. Never thought I would think a gas can could be beautiful. The quality of the casting of the can impressed my brother who works for a company that casts small pieces. Even the warning type on the can is super crisp like it was cut not cast. Hope a 1 gal. water can follows.
__________________
04 Toyota Sienna, new wipers for 2011!!
Electricity (120 AC), Indoor Plumbing, new kitchen tap for 2010!!!
Color tube TV, Microwave Oven (yes she rotates!),Washer & Dryer,Paved Driveway,
Website - http://www.apormc.com/
Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley?feature=mhum
Motoriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 03:11 PM   #145
LongWays
Skiing up a hill...
 
LongWays's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: City of Subdued Excitement.... no really it is!
Oddometer: 5,142
Wasn't sure how I was going to mount these things but this seems to work. Hoping that using the footpegs will take some of the weight off the panniers














I'll be mounting a set on a 1200GS with Micatechs in a few weeks, not sure where those are going yet either.
__________________
If you don't like my sig line - don't read it.
LongWays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 06:36 PM   #146
Revelstoker
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Revelstoker's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Revelstoke, BC
Oddometer: 228
Thanks Jason for getting the Rotopax up to Canada so quickly!
Attached Images
 
Revelstoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 07:41 PM   #147
DannyG
I have the waypoint.
 
DannyG's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Oddometer: 3,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotopaX
Hi, Thanks Again for all your interest and purchases on our new 1G.

Check out rotopax.com for more photos of the Fuel Pack and Mounts.

Call me with any questions at 801-299-1885. Jason.

do you know if the mount will work with 1.5 gallon Kolpin?
__________________
“Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.” Helen Keller (1880 – 1968)
My toys: 00 GS1150; 84 Ericson 30+
DannyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 08:57 AM   #148
R_W
wannabe
 
R_W's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: Kansas
Oddometer: 4,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongWays






Would it be possible to make a triangular bottle to fit like this but be a little more aerodynamic??
__________________
Red hair and black leather, my favorite color scheme...
R_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 01:05 PM   #149
robhar54
Gnarly Adventurer
 
robhar54's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Oddometer: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_W
Would it be possible to make a triangular bottle to fit like this but be a little more aerodynamic??
Like this?



(Sorry for the OT. Now back to Rotopax.)

Rob in Seattle
__________________
Adventure Bikes: Rivendell Saluki + Rawland rSogn
robhar54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 08:19 AM   #150
R_W
wannabe
 
R_W's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: Kansas
Oddometer: 4,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by robhar54
Like this?



(Sorry for the OT. Now back to Rotopax.)

Rob in Seattle
Yes, but no.

The way they angle helps with aerodynamics, but...

I still want my passenger pegs to be usable. Partially obstructed is fine, but usable for short rides around camp or to the corner store.

It could also be a better size/shape for a bike. Taller and thinner.

Plus the Blitz cans SUCK. Rotopax (and Kolpin by rotopax) have always been better/tougher. IMO Rotopax is second toughest only to the Sceptre military gerry can (which is not available to consumers anymore )
__________________
Red hair and black leather, my favorite color scheme...
R_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014