Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-27-2014, 02:52 PM   #1
Lycan1 OP
Grizzly herder

Oddometer: 1,567
Alberta BC Loop

Here is a track that I put together for a nice big loop heading south out of Calgary to Beauvais Lake (A nice spot to camp) Then on through Fernie, ovver Hartley pass to Fort Steel. Then winding south onto Castlegar and the KVR to Kelowna. From Kelowna up to Lumby using backroads (Thanks Ocean Mountain Sea). Then up Mable Lake Road to 3 Valley Gap on Gravel. Then down to the Arrow Lake Ferry and around the Eastern way to Kaslo. Down to Kootenay bay and over Grey Creek Pass and up Bull Creek FSR to White Swan Provincial Park before heading Up to the Trans Canada on Gravel (for about 1/2 the distance).

It then winds over Spray Lakes and Powderface trails before returning to Calgary. Depending on the year most parts are doable by late July, and I have done them all on both a KLR 650 and a KTM 990, so Big Bike Friendly and very scenic!

The map is also download-able on Dual Sport Maps dot com under the same name.

EDIT: Please note as of July 1st 2014, Powderface trail is still closed. I have added a bypass track. It has been a couple of years since I did the Myra Canyon Bypass trail so check on local conditions. Also the KVR may be blocked in sections so be ready to bypass via fsr and highways where needed. Greenwood to Beaverdell you will only be able to get on in very limited sections and it is best to stick to the highway for that area. Grand Forks there are yellow gates but they were not locked at the west end of town.

Enjoy!
Attached Files
File Type: gpx Big BC Loop-modified (2).gpx (866.6 KB, 13 views)
09 KTM 990 Adv

Lycan1 screwed with this post 07-01-2014 at 06:56 AM
Lycan1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 06:50 PM   #2
Voltsmith
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Camping spots?

Hi Lycan, I am thinking of doing this route in two weeks time or maybe five days of the Calgary to BC TCAT. I like your route as it give a nice loop. Looks like I'm going to be solo but I know you ride solo quite a bit so I'm sure the route will be fine for that. My question for you is: I don't see specific camping spots on your route, do you have any specific camping spots on this route?

Cheers
Old 06-30-2014, 07:54 PM   #3
Lycan1 OP
Grizzly herder

I'm on my mobile, so I'll take a look in the morning. As mentioned though, Beauvais Lake is nice, but probably too close to your start point. Remember that Powderface is not open, but hwy 68 to the trans Canada, then jumping off on Jumping pound, and Springbank road. I have added the track for that.

Whiteswan has a couple of great campgrounds (Inlet Creek being the least desirable as it is an overflow lot), Kaslo's municipal campground is OK. Wap lake south of 3 Valley gap is right beside the trail and is/ was very nice, but only a few spots and no services. Toad Rock is interesting and worth it if you have never been.

I have updated the track.

Photo Link for KVR: http://s906.photobucket.com/user/Lee...%202011?sort=3
09 KTM 990 Adv

Lycan1 screwed with this post 07-01-2014 at 07:04 AM
Old 06-30-2014, 11:15 PM   #4
Jäger
Osons

Oddometer: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltsmith View Post
My question for you is: I don't see specific camping spots on your route, do you have any specific camping spots on this route?
Speaking only of the East/West Kootenay parts of your prospective trip, there are good camping spots almost minute by minute along the route, if you don't absolutely require a formal camp spot.

For example, from the moment you cross into BC, Summit Lake makes for pretty decent camping and in most years offers pretty phenomenal fishing from shore as well (not this year however - winter kill). A short while past that, more good camping (and fishing) along where Michele Creek meets the Highway. Then there is Sparwood, which has a full facilities campground. Ditto for Fernie. From Fernie over the Hartley, there are numerous quiet spots besides clean creeks for camping. Coming down into the Bull River FSR off Sulpher Creek Road, there is a very popular camping spot right beside the river. More spots along the Bull all the way out to Fort Steele - which has another nice formal campground. Then Cranbrook has formal campgrounds, as does Kimberley a bit up the road a few miles in on the St Maries FSR.

Not attempting to be casual about it, but spots for camping along these routes really are a matter of pick whichever one you want. Practically all the water along side them is good for drinking as well. Hard to go wrong, really.
Jäger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 06:50 AM   #5
Lycan1 OP
Grizzly herder

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jäger View Post
Speaking only of the East/West Kootenay parts of your prospective trip, there are good camping spots almost minute by minute along the route, if you don't absolutely require a formal camp spot.

For example, from the moment you cross into BC, Summit Lake makes for pretty decent camping and in most years offers pretty phenomenal fishing from shore as well (not this year however - winter kill). A short while past that, more good camping (and fishing) along where Michele Creek meets the Highway. Then there is Sparwood, which has a full facilities campground. Ditto for Fernie. From Fernie over the Hartley, there are numerous quiet spots besides clean creeks for camping. Coming down into the Bull River FSR off Sulpher Creek Road, there is a very popular camping spot right beside the river. More spots along the Bull all the way out to Fort Steele - which has another nice formal campground. Then Cranbrook has formal campgrounds, as does Kimberley a bit up the road a few miles in on the St Maries FSR.

Not attempting to be casual about it, but spots for camping along these routes really are a matter of pick whichever one you want. Practically all the water along side them is good for drinking as well. Hard to go wrong, really.
For the local intel. Can you tell him if Hartley pass and Grey Creek pass are doable yet? I did add some campgrounds that I have been to and know are OK to the track.
09 KTM 990 Adv
Old 07-01-2014, 04:53 PM   #6
Voltsmith
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Camping spots

Thanks guys. Very useful info. It's been quite a few years since I last camped but I used to camp out in the bush anytime. Formal sites are definitely not mandatory for me.
Good question Lee. I hope the passes will be open by then. If not, oh well, part of the adventure.
Cheers,
Russ
Old 07-04-2014, 12:20 AM   #7
Jäger
Osons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycan1 View Post
For the local intel. Can you tell him if Hartley pass and Grey Creek pass are doable yet? I did add some campgrounds that I have been to and know are OK to the track.
I'm away from home with just the tablet. Somewhere here on ADV I posted the Forestry website that advises which FSRs are open or closed. maybe on the Gray Creek Pass thr3ad last year.

Best I can do right now.
Old 07-04-2014, 06:21 AM   #8
Lycan1 OP
Grizzly herder

Quote:
I'm away from home with just the tablet. Somewhere here on ADV I posted the Forestry website that advises which FSRs are open or closed. maybe on the Gray Creek Pass thr3ad last year.

Best I can do right now.
I couldn't find the website and the search feature on this site is bad, but..... Grey Creek Pass is OPEN!

Link: http://graycreekstore.com/news

As Far as Hartley Pass you can call Fernie Tourist Info: 1-877-933-7643
09 KTM 990 Adv

Lycan1 screwed with this post 07-04-2014 at 06:27 AM
Old 07-04-2014, 10:20 AM   #9
Jäger
Osons

http://www.for.gov.bc.ca/drm/services/road-works.htm

Road Closures

For questions regarding these closures please contact Dave Rebagliati at (250) 417-9596 or Len Palajac at (250) 919-5523.

Albert River FSR is closed due to washed out bridges..

Blackfoot FSR is closed at 39km due to washed out approaches at bridge.

Buhl Creek FSR is closed due to washed out bridges.

Cross River FSR is closed at 35km due to bridge washout.

Dewar Creek FSR is open to 4WD access only.

East Fork of the White River FSR will be closed from July 15 to August 31 to have two bridges installed at Stork Creek and Barr Creek.

East Fork of the Wildhorse is closed at 17km due to closed bridges being unsafe for vehicle passage.

Flathead FSR from Corbin south to Flathead town site there are multiple washouts including all bridges and culverts.

Gray Creek Pass is closed due to snow. Projected open date is around July 1 or when snow free.

Jumbo Pass is closed due to washouts and avalanches.

Lake of the Hanging Glacier access road is open, but very rough for the last 10km.

Mause Creek FSR is closed at 1km past the Fisher Peak trail head.

McClatchie FSR
is closed at the Squaw Creek Bridge due to bridge washout.

Monroe Lake - the two bridges surrounding the Monroe Lake Recreation Site will be replaced August 15 to August 31.

Summer Lake FSR is closed at 59km due to washout.

Whiteriver (Whiteswan) FSR is closed at 43km from June 15 to October 31, 2014 for bridge construction. Access to the Lussier Hot Springs, Whiteswan Provincial Park and Top of the World Park is open.

Last updated on 26 June 2014.
----------------------------------------------------

Best source for current info at any time is the two guys at the phone numbers above.

What's depressing is how many roads are still closed due to damage from last year's flooding.
Old 07-04-2014, 10:32 AM   #10
Jäger
Osons

Any of you riding through the Kimberley-Cranbrook area, hit me up if you want to do a little riding or flyfishing around here. I split my time between here and Whitefish MT, and then there's the days the Forces has me somewhere else in Canada, but when I'm here in the summer, I'm dual sporting, flyfishing, or quite often both of the above. Great flyfishing on the Bull as you're riding through... Come September hunting also takes some of my time, and I haven't figured out how to do that on a dual sport just yet.

BTW Lycan, I may be in Calgary next week, working on a weapons display at the Stampede grounds if you're around - think I'll pull rank and do the morning shift NCO thing instead of the afternoons. I'm thinking of dual sporting my way to Calgary the south route through Allison, the forestry road, the Highwood, etc. Just not sure I want to be WR250R only in Calgary for days, in that screwy traffic - particularly if the weather turns to shyte for the trip there and back. Will probably opt for the Ram 2500, but I'll keep an eye on the weather before making any final decisions.
Old 07-04-2014, 11:46 AM   #11
Lycan1 OP
Grizzly herder

Quote:
BTW Lycan, I may be in Calgary next week, working on a weapons display at the Stampede grounds if you're around - think I'll pull rank and do the morning shift NCO thing instead of the afternoons. I'm thinking of dual sporting my way to Calgary the south route through Allison, the forestry road, the Highwood, etc. Just not sure I want to be WR250R only in Calgary for days, in that screwy traffic - particularly if the weather turns to shyte for the trip there and back. Will probably opt for the Ram 2500, but I'll keep an eye on the weather before making any final decisions.
Let me know if you are in town. I work days, but might be able to figure something out, and my bike is easy to spot.
09 KTM 990 Adv