ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2009, 06:37 PM   #16
KawDlr
Kawasaki GURU

Oddometer: 691
I sent out to every email link on Alabama's contact list again today! Fight for your right!
KawDlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 01:07 PM   #17
niceviewbehindbars
out enjoying the vu

Oddometer: 1,392
I got this email back from my congressman.

Dear Mr. ***:

Thank you for contacting me to express your opposition to the National Landscape Conservation System and your concern about its impact on public recreational access. I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts with me on this issue. I value your views on the important issues facing our Commonwealth and the Nation.

As you may know, S. 22, the Omnibus Public Land Management Act of 2009, would establish within the Bureau of Land Management the National Landscape Conservation System to conserve, protect, and restore nationally significant landscapes that have outstanding cultural, ecological, and scientific values.

Currently, this bill has not been considered by the House of Representatives. As a member of the House Committee on Natural Resources, please rest assured that I will keep your views in mind as this bill continues through the legislative process.

Thank you again for sharing your views and opinions with me. I am committed to serving you to the best of my abilities. If I can ever be of assistance to you or your family, please do not hesitate to call me at (202) 225-4261 or contact me online at: www.wittman.house.gov.

Sincerely,

Robert J. Wittman
Member of Congress

"The human spirit needs places where nature has not been rearranged by the hand of man." -Unknown
niceviewbehindbars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 01:35 PM   #18
TerraUnFirma
Fair/Not Balanced

Oddometer: 352
+1 Done for the second time...
'06 Suzuki DRz400s
'08 Yamaha WR250R
TerraUnFirma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 05:16 PM   #19
jmcnair828
BeemerBonz

Oddometer: 67
Done

Nothing like having taxes taken out of your paycheck to pay for public land and then denying access to responsible people. Somtimes it feels like the weight of the political and legal system comes down hard on responsible folks more so than the irresponsible.
Thanks goes out to Tripper for posting this up. I never would have seen it...I visit this forum much more often than others.

'92 BMW R100R (for sale)
jmcnair828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 06:09 PM   #20
HBN
is car free

Oddometer: 11,941
Done

Sent mine to Mark Warner and Jim Webb

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=s111-22
HBurgNinja - The Thread | HBN Boondocking the Nation | Beards to Canada
HBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 02:52 PM   #21
niceviewbehindbars
out enjoying the vu

Update

On March 11, 2009 a majority of House members supported the wilderness bill, but the measure was defeated because it did not receive the needed two-thirds vote. The vote was 282-144 in favor.

By failing to be passed in both houses of Congress, this bill is now dead.

"The human spirit needs places where nature has not been rearranged by the hand of man." -Unknown
Old 03-20-2009, 04:17 PM   #22
yanni23
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 655
Quote:
Originally Posted by niceviewbehindbars

On March 11, 2009 a majority of House members supported the wilderness bill, but the measure was defeated because it did not receive the needed two-thirds vote. The vote was 282-144 in favor.

By failing to be passed in both houses of Congress, this bill is now dead.

Nice work boys, nice work.
yanni23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 05:05 PM   #23
darnell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
It has not gone away. Looks like the sneaky bastages are attaching it to another bill and trying again. It passed the Senate. Write your representatives. Check out the link.

http://www.sharetrails.org/alerts/?alert=982
darnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 12:56 AM   #24
ssorange
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Pissed Final Vote? Set For March 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanni23

Nice work boys, nice work.
THIS IS NOT OVER. MARCH 25TH IS THE DATE SET FOR THE FINAL VOTE.

Click here to tell them No on HR146:
http://www.amadirectlink.com/legisltn/rapidresponse.asp

Omnibus Public Lands Bill to be Voted on Tomorrow!
The American Motorcyclist Association urges everyone to contact their Representative to vote "No" on the rule and on the final passage of H.R. 146, the Revolutionary War and War of 1812 Battlefield Acquisition Grant Program. This bill was formerly known as S. 22, the Omnibus Public Land Management Act of 2009, which would prohibit all motorized vehicle access on over 2 million acres of public lands.

As you may know, S. 22 was defeated two weeks ago, on March 11, in the U.S. House of Representatives. Following defeat of the bill, the U.S. Senate leadership, using a little known parliamentary procedure, considered H.R. 146, inserting the language from S. 22, and passed the bill on March 19 by a vote of 77 to 20.

Now H.R. 146 is back for consideration in the U.S. House of Representatives and consists of a daunting collection of more than 160 pieces of legislation in over 1300 pages of text. It is because of this that, for parliamentary reasons, the House Leadership wants to consider H.R. 146 under regular order. This would mean that the bill needs only a simple majority to pass. In order for this bill to be considered under regular order, the U.S. House must first pass a rule.

Therefore, in order to help preserve your access to vital public lands, everyone needs to contact their Representative and urge them to first vote "No" on the rule regarding H.R. 146. Then they must also be asked to vote "No" on the final passage of H.R. 146.

With such a short time frame for action, the best way to request that your Representative to vote "No" on H.R. 146 is to call. Click here to get the phone number for your Representative Enter your zip code in the "Find Your Officials" box and click on the name of your Representative.

If you would prefer to contact your Representative with e-mail, you may contact your Representative by clicking here. We have pre-written a letter for your use.

Immediate action is critical to help keep more than 2 million acres of public land open to motorized recreation. Please call your Representative and tell everyone you can to do the same.

Every Representative must know that responsible motorized recreationists want them to vote "No" on the rule and "No" on the final passage of H.R. 146!

SOME HIGHLIGHTS OF THE CURRENT BILL:

In approving S 22 the first time the Senate clarified that all conservation areas within the California Desert Conservation Area (CDCA) would be considered part of the NLCS.* Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.) had said last year she would offer an amendment to ensure the entire 10 million-acre CDCA was in the system.
The bill language says that the NLCS includes "Any area designated by Congress to be administered for conservation purposes, including. . . public land within the California Desert Conservation Area administered by BLM for conservation purposes."

According to BLM the NLCS contains 27 million acres, including 4.8 million acres of national monuments, 14 million areas of conservation areas, 1.4 million acres of "similar designations," 7.7 million acres of wilderness areas, 13.8 million acres of wilderness study areas, and one million acres of wild and scenic rivers.

In addition to the NLCS measure, S 22 contains these initiatives: 

* OWYHEE LANDS (IDAHO): the bill from Sen. Crapo would designate 517,000 acres of BLM-managed wilderness.* An alliance of retired BLM employees, the Public Lands Foundation, objects to the bill and says that before designating wilderness sponsors should work with BLM to identify precise boundaries.* 

* WILDERNESS (NINE OTHER BILLS): several individual wilderness bills would protect up to 2 million acres, including: Wild Monongahela Wilderness (West Va.), Virginia Ridge and Valley Wilderness (Va.), Mt. Hood Wilderness (. Ore), Copper Salmon Wilderness (Ore.), Cascade-Siskiyou National Monument (Ore.), Owyhee (Idaho), Sabinoso Wilderness (N.M.), Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore Wilderness (Mich.), Oregon Badlands Wilderness (Ore.), Spring Basin Wilderness (Ore.), Eastern Sierra and Northern San Gabriel Wilderness (Calif.), Riverside County Wilderness (Calif.), Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks Wilderness (Calif.), and Rocky Mountain National Park Wilderness (Colo.)

ssorange screwed with this post 03-25-2009 at 01:01 AM
ssorange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 12:04 AM   #25
Skippii
Hookers, my lad.

Oddometer: 6,506
It passed.

http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2009/roll153.xml
Old 03-26-2009, 07:55 AM   #26
niceviewbehindbars
out enjoying the vu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippii
Dang.. Say goodbye to our riding and hunting areas. They are all getting turned into "wilderness" areas.

I guess this is why we all have dual sports.

Old 03-26-2009, 07:05 PM   #27
bomose
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,097
They attached it to another bill. Seems like they always have a way to get around defeat.
bomose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 07:15 PM   #28
pplassm
Brace for collision!

Oddometer: 2,536
I've given up on getting support from pols on either side, out here in the East. Too many city slickers think all "wilderness" is good.

Time for this?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=430769

pplassm is online now   Reply With Quote