ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2004, 05:51 AM   #1
PETDOC OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,202
Route suggestions appreciated

In 10 days I'm leaving Knoxville, TN for Minneapolis, MN. Plan to take 3 days to make trip. I would apprecate any suggestions on scenic roads that I should try to take in Kentucky, Indiana, Illinois, and Wisconsin along the way. Thanks for any input.
Dave
PETDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2004, 02:14 PM   #2
chain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,757
Illinois Routes

Petdoc thats a great trip, If you come into Illinois at cave in rock. that would be a good starting point. Kentucky state park system is great for lodging they have alot of nice lodges built by the ccc. Illinois has a few as well.
Enter Illinois at cave In Rock just North if Marion KY
rt 146 West to 37 south to 3 North to Chester cross the Missippi into Missouri.
take US 61 N to Festus MO
then find a two lane to go West over to MO 21 Go North to I270 To I70 West
To Exit 222 route C North to Route B go East to Golden Eagle Ferry
Cross Missippi River into Illinois Follow the great river road all the wat to Hamilton. Cross Into Iowa then follow US 61 North to Burlington then Just stay tight to the Mississippi all the way to Minneapolis

That is a great trip. Enjoy. Lots of nice river towns along the way

Im about 2 hour East of the Missippi at Hamilton (rt 136) If I know when youre comming through I may be able to ride the Hamilton to Muscatine leg with you

chain screwed with this post 05-31-2004 at 07:23 PM
chain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2004, 02:17 PM   #3
jdiaz

Oddometer: 32,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by chain
Im about 2 hour West of the Missippi at Hamilton (rt 136) If I know when youre comming through I may be able to ride the Hamilton to Muscatine leg with you
Chain, are you SURE you live West of the Mississippi?

Jon
jdiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2004, 07:34 PM   #4
Queen
Escapee

Oddometer: 24,013
Listen to Chain (except for the west of the Mississippi part ), he can direct you AWAY from the painfully boring part of IL I live in...whatever you do, don't waste a moment of riding time in East Central IL if you can help it! DAMHIK
Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004, 06:34 PM   #5
chain
Beastly Adventurer

details

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiaz
Chain, are you SURE you live West of the Mississippi?

Jon
Im not SURE of anything jd except that i logged another big day of dualsport adventure in central Illinois today against all weather odds.
Old 05-31-2004, 05:15 AM   #6
McD
Nothing

Oddometer: 1,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by chain
Im not SURE of anything jd except that i logged another big day of dualsport adventure in central Illinois today against all weather odds.
We sure did. An outstanding day of roads and non roads thrills and spills. I raced that monster storm all the way home and in the end, I beat it to my front door by ten minutes.

McD
McD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 01:01 AM   #7
PETDOC OP
Beastly Adventurer

Chain, Thanks for the great suggestion. I will try and run the route you outlined going up. I can't really give an estimated time of arriving in your neck of the woods as I'm going to take everything as it comes (ie, rain, tornadoes, etc, I'll hunker down til it clears and may use interstate to make up lost time). On way back I may try other side of river down to Dubuque then retrace your route south to Quincy then shoot across Ill on interstate to Indianapolis as there are a couple of roads (routes 46 out of Bloominton to 135 south to KY) that I've read about. I plan on leaving Sunday so if you read about any serious weather forecast for your area on Mon-Tues please drop me a line (DFEDWARDS@UTK.EDU)
Thanks
Dave
Old 06-02-2004, 12:34 PM   #8
chain
Beastly Adventurer

Iowa side

Quote:
Originally Posted by PETDOC
Chain, Thanks for the great suggestion. I will try and run the route you outlined going up. I can't really give an estimated time of arriving in your neck of the woods as I'm going to take everything as it comes (ie, rain, tornadoes, etc, I'll hunker down til it clears and may use interstate to make up lost time). On way back I may try other side of river down to Dubuque then retrace your route south to Quincy then shoot across Ill on interstate to Indianapolis as there are a couple of roads (routes 46 out of Bloominton to 135 south to KY) that I've read about. I plan on leaving Sunday so if you read about any serious weather forecast for your area on Mon-Tues please drop me a line (DFEDWARDS@UTK.EDU)
Thanks
Dave
Iowa side is a little nicer ride. Bad weather just means fewer people on the road
Old 06-02-2004, 12:40 PM   #9
dragoon
I'm the REAL Dingo Joe

Oddometer: 23,044
Have you thought about going north through Mich over the Mackinaw Bridge then across the UP. The Mackinaw Bridge is a must do on a bike

daveology rule #143 - never ever pass up a chance to hear a band that has a stand up bass -Mutineer
dragoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 04:44 PM   #10
McD
Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoon
Have you thought about going north through Mich over the Mackinaw Bridge then across the UP. The Mackinaw Bridge is a must do on a bike
The Mackinaw bridge is great, its usually really windy though, so be prepared. Fun to get up over the bars and look through the grating down to the water hundreds? of feet below
Old 06-02-2004, 06:43 PM   #11
PETDOC OP
Beastly Adventurer

Alas time is of the essence and I've got to get back to work immediately after meeting in Minniapolis so Mich will have to wait. Back in '73 I spent year in NYC and had a '69 650 Triumph Bonneville which, time permitting, allowed me to see upstate NY and most of NYC. On more than one occassion I would run over the Verrazazano Narrows bridge, which at the time was longest suspension bridge in world and if memory serves me correctly was about 260 ft above the water. It was a real rush. Chain I enjoyed your comment on the rain, but having riden in the rain and on a sunny day I must say I prefer the latter.
Old 06-02-2004, 08:03 PM   #12
elektron
effin ef

Oddometer: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by McD
The Mackinaw bridge is great, its usually really windy though, so be prepared. Fun to get up over the bars and look through the grating down to the water hundreds? of feet below
yea i took the gs500 around lake michigan in a weekend last year.. beautiful ride, the UP is a great place to camp too, tons of national forest campgrounds that are pretty cheap too.
Old 06-02-2004, 08:14 PM   #13
McD
Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by elektron
yea i took the gs500 around lake michigan in a weekend last year.. beautiful ride, the UP is a great place to camp too, tons of national forest campgrounds that are pretty cheap too.
Think I'm gonna take the lake circle tour again sometime in the next two weeks.