me06
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Here's a left-sided view of the bike, note the rear shock:
Old 05-19-2013, 03:53 AM   #1622
me06
Adventurer

Oh & btw, that's a pair of XR400R forks too.
Old 05-19-2013, 04:22 AM   #1623
XR250INOZ
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Nice to know the XR400 shock will fit the earlier XR250's
Does tha XR400 shock have any other adjustments that the early XR250 does not have?

Im guessing the XR400 spring rate would be much firmer too, Is it too firm?

Do the XR400 forks slide straight into the XR250 triple clamps / trees?
Are they the same size tubes?
Looks like the XR400 forks are a bit longer, Do the XR400 forks feel any better?
XR250INOZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 04:46 AM   #1624
me06
Adventurer

The XR400R had 43mm Showa forks. The old 250s had 41mm forks. So I had the whole 400 front end installed, triple clamps, caliper, hub & all. It was a straight fit, but I had to weld a pair of steering stops on the frame (note the little protrusion on the frame near the oil cooler line, just fwd of the tank). I used the oem springs together with heavier oil. Not as super-stiff as the new generation bikes but better. Oh, & with the more current XR400R forks & piggyback shock, rebuilding & tuning them would be much easier as there are tons of aftermarket spares out there. Also, since the shock was a piggyback type, there's now a space around the carb area from the left, where the old remote reservoir used to sit, & I get better access to the carb. But I had to remove the left sideboard to adjust the compression, no biggie.

me06 screwed with this post 05-19-2013 at 04:55 AM
me06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 05:57 AM   #1625
tjrockit
One day closer...

Oddometer: 1,210
Trail Tech Vapor

Any of you boys install a Trail Tech Vapor? I'm wondering what you did for the engine temp. The directions say to install it on the spark plug. It is so tight in there I could never get the spark plug to thread and after 30 minutes of trying, I gave up.

*** The views or comments I express on this site and/or on any other site/forum/social media are strictly my own and do not reflect any past, current or future employer and/or any organization. They are solely my own personal opinions.***
tjrockit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:53 AM   #1626
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot

Oddometer: 2,314
You can put the temp sensor under one of the oil line banjo bolts, in place of the existing copper washer. That will give you an approximation of the oil temp.
cjbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:20 AM   #1627
tjrockit
One day closer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbiker View Post
You can put the temp sensor under one of the oil line banjo bolts, in place of the existing copper washer. That will give you an approximation of the oil temp.
Are you suggesting one of the #18 washers from this diagram?

*** The views or comments I express on this site and/or on any other site/forum/social media are strictly my own and do not reflect any past, current or future employer and/or any organization. They are solely my own personal opinions.***
Old 05-22-2013, 09:29 AM   #1628
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot

Oddometer: 2,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjrockit View Post
Are you suggesting one of the #18 washers from this diagram?
Yes. Note that I haven't done it myself, so I can't make any guarantees. When I had my XR250, that's what I planned to do after reading about TrailTech Vapor installations on ThumperTalk.
cjbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:29 AM   #1629
Rusnak_322
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Quote:

Any of you boys install a Trail Tech Vapor? I'm wondering what you did for the engine temp. The directions say to install it on the spark plug. It is so tight in there I could never get the spark plug to thread and after 30 minutes of trying, I gave up.

does your plug have a washer built in? can you remove that to allow more of the threads to be exposed? May need to carefully cut it off with a dremel.

see "gasket" on the picture -

Rusnak_322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:09 AM   #1630
tjrockit
One day closer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusnak_322 View Post
does your plug have a washer built in? can you remove that to allow more of the threads to be exposed? May need to carefully cut it off with a dremel.

see "gasket" on the picture -

Yes, I popped that off per instructions. There is something with right angle washer/wire that doesn't allow it to drop in and then use the Honda spark plug tool to tighten it down. Maybe somebody out there is better than me but I gave it a valiant attempt.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:17 AM   #1631
tjrockit
One day closer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbiker View Post
Yes. Note that I haven't done it myself, so I can't make any guarantees. When I had my XR250, that's what I planned to do after reading about TrailTech Vapor installations on ThumperTalk.
That is an option I looked at. However, out-of-the-box, the wire is about 14 inches short to making the connection. Before I cut it open, I wanted to hear others opinions. #18 washer is 7 mm and the spark plug is probably between 10 and 12 mm. So there is a leak concern which is also mentioned in the install instructions.

I was looking at the Trail Tech site again and they offer this alternative. It took me a moment to realize that this the underside of the bike's oil drain plug. Yeah, I don't see an issue with that!!

tjrockit screwed with this post 05-22-2013 at 10:42 AM
Old 05-22-2013, 01:29 PM   #1632
prsdrat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 619
I'd use a 90 deg fitting to negate the strain on that bent tubing. Swagelok
should have what you need.
Old 05-22-2013, 01:30 PM   #1633
prsdrat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 619
Duhhh, I just realized that's wire. Delete my last.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:06 PM   #1634
STANIMAL
SUPPORT THE SECOND

Oddometer: 2,686
Quote:

Head bolt ?
I'm ignorant, but happy---steyr_scout308
STANIMAL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:56 AM   #1635
tjrockit
One day closer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANIMAL View Post
Head bolt ?
Yeah, I was wondering if I could use bolt #11 in the pick to attach it to. As a noob, I don't know what that bolt holds and if I should be concerned about anything if I pull it out and add the sensor. Thoughts?

If I use a bolt off the cylinder head, what bolt would you guys recommend? Maybe one of the ones that goes to the exhaust? #19?

tjrockit screwed with this post 05-23-2013 at 07:02 AM