Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2013, 08:11 PM   #1651
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by maintmach View Post
Long time lurker and finally need some information.

I have an 86 XR250R with Baja kit that I can't kick start anymore. It will bump start within a short distance. I have disassembled the carb and blew out all holes that I can see and cleaned all the crud out.

Should I go ahead and put it in carb cleaner before I put it back on the bike?

If I do put it in carb cleaner are there any rubber pieces hidden that might be affected by the cleaner?

Thanks in advance.
Check your valves and decompressor.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:12 PM   #1652
sion
sigh-own

Oddometer: 3,492
Quote:
Long time lurker and finally need some information.

I have an 86 XR250R with Baja kit that I can't kick start anymore. It will bump start within a short distance. I have disassembled the carb and blew out all holes that I can see and cleaned all the crud out.

Should I go ahead and put it in carb cleaner before I put it back on the bike?

If I do put it in carb cleaner are there any rubber pieces hidden that might be affected by the cleaner?

Thanks in advance.
a very common source of hard starting on XRs is the valves...make sure they've not gotten too tight. if the bike runs fine once started, then its probably not a carb issue

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301
sion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:10 AM   #1653
maintmach
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Hard Starting by Kickstarter

Checked and adjusted valves and decompressor prior to pulling carb. Still won't kickstart but bump starts easily.

Bike was not started for a couple of years a few years ago and doesn't get much use now.

Thanks
maintmach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:35 AM   #1654
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,344
Quote:
Checked and adjusted valves and decompressor prior to pulling carb. Still won't kickstart but bump starts easily.

Bike was not started for a couple of years a few years ago and doesn't get much use now.

Thanks
Did you check compression/leakdown? The valves may not be sealing.
Old 06-13-2013, 05:29 PM   #1655
maintmach
Adventurer

Have not performed a leakdown test. Will need to do that if carb clean doesn't do the job.
Old 06-14-2013, 12:33 AM   #1656
STANIMAL
SUPPORT THE SECOND

Oddometer: 2,708
Quote:
Have not performed a leakdown test. Will need to do that if carb clean doesn't do the job.
Pilot jet ?
I'm ignorant, but happy---steyr_scout308
STANIMAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 06:47 PM   #1657
maintmach
Adventurer

lamotovita, sion, STANIMAL

Thanks for the responses, looks like it was the dirty carb. Runs much smoother, idles down nicely, and I kick started it cold.
Old 06-16-2013, 07:08 PM   #1658
STANIMAL
SUPPORT THE SECOND

Oddometer: 2,708
Quote:
lamotovita, sion, STANIMAL

Thanks for the responses, looks like it was the dirty carb. Runs much smoother, idles down nicely, and I kick started it cold.
You're welcome . The invoice is in the mail.
I'm ignorant, but happy---steyr_scout308
STANIMAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:59 PM   #1659
Scottyridewhere?
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
new(to me) '86 XR250... maybe...

hi all experienced XR guys and gals! i may be picking up (given to a worthwhile home) an 86 XR250.. fully legal and plated (last plated a couple years ago) here in BC Canada.. to replace my DEAD KLR650 (oil pump failed, new engine costs WAY too much!)..

the current owner is a good fellow i know, who just wants to pass the bike to a good home - his shoulders are blown, so he doesn't do any trails these days..

i've had a read through most of the thread, but would like to know if there are any specific things i need to look for. i'll be taking a good look at it in a couple days and finding out more about it.. i know it is NOT a north american bike - it is a japanese import sold as used.. any differences i should be aware of?

assuming it goes well and is fairly easily brought back to fully running/good condition (been sitting a year or so since last ridden), my plan is to over time build it to a small adventure-tourer.. i am an experienced rider with over 100k miles under my belt.. at some point i might even think about building my own frame and going totally custom.. but not right now.

any tips or hints would be more than welcome!

cheers,
Scott
Scottyridewhere? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 04:18 PM   #1660
dbarale
Squiddly slow

Oddometer: 1,087
I sold my '88 XR250R and just found ONE unused fork seal and dust cover. Free to a good home, send me a PM...
dbarale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 01:53 PM   #1661
Stephenson
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
1994 XR250R - rebuilt - Thanks Pwrtrippin!!!

It's a Pittsburgh Steelers Theme - for my Steelers superfan wife
Stephenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 07:56 PM   #1662
Scottyridewhere?
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
new to me XR

your XR rebuild looks great!

I will be doing an extensive test ride(road) tomorrow on my new to me '86..

Assuming all goes well, I will take it home and begin contemplating how to modify the $hi7 out of it to be exactly what I want in a small adventure bike.

I already have a few things on my list, we'll see how long the list grows..
so far: better headlight and taillight. the bike is legal as a DS now, but the lights are pretty feeble... will see if I can make the Brittania Composites fairing from my KLR fit and work with - will likely have to spring for the HID kit to keep the wattage down. the tail light is more appropriately called a 'tail dark' some loops to move the passenger footpegs from the swingarm to properly frame mounted.. recovering the seat - I might use some heavy cordura that I have laying around.. changing out the seat foam while i'm at it too.. the sandwich box (small trunk) from a K75 will fit nicely above the stock tool bag, so building a rack and mounting the box is a priority.. as is some kind of hard saddlebags. (yes, i know soft bags can be made to work, but...!) Low front fender, as I will be riding street much more than dirt..

Oh yes, one of the big fuel tank options, or possibly working with a friend to build a custom aluminum one at about 19L capacity... will give some thought to going COMPLETELY custom and doing a whole new chassis.. We'll see over time.

cheers,
S.
Scottyridewhere? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:47 PM   #1663
XR250INOZ
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Got a bit more done on my 93 XR250, I modified a TRX400EX White Brothers E-Series muffler to fit the old XR after fitting an XR's Only header pipe

Tig welded mandrel bends, Muffler & clamp section, New exhaust front to rear

New Clarke tank, New Dunlop D605 rear tyre, New TAG Alius fatbars
Ready for some more adventures

All the goodies are listed here>
http://www.thumpertalk.com/garage/ve...a-xr250r-1993/
XR250INOZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:32 PM   #1664
g94
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR250INOZ View Post
Got a bit more done on my 93 XR250, I modified a TRX400EX White Brothers E-Series muffler to fit the old XR after fitting an XR's Only header pipe

Tig welded mandrel bends, Muffler & clamp section, New exhaust front to rear

New Clarke tank, New Dunlop D605 rear tyre, New TAG Alius fatbars
Ready for some more adventures

All the goodies are listed here>
http://www.thumpertalk.com/garage/ve...a-xr250r-1993/
Very nice custom work! I have a White Brother's on my XR250R and even with the minimum amount of discs and playing around with the packing, I can't get it to quiet down to an acceptable level. Did the steel wool around the core make it much quieter in a before and after test?
g94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:02 PM   #1665
XR250INOZ
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Yes the steel wool did actually make quite a difference compared to the stock white brothers style packing which is very tight (& heavy) & basically does not allow the exhaust to go through the baffle tube & into the muffler body so the muffler is almost like a straight piece of pipe, I think this is why many people complain that the White Brothers E-Series muffler is so loud even when they reduce the number of discs which should increase the back pressure & lower the sound, I modified/shortened & repacked the muffler before it was fitted to the bike so I did not get to do a before & after test on this bike but I had one on a DRZ250 years ago & found this was the case, When I removed some discs & had about 4-5 installed it did not drop the noise that much but it ran terrible so I had to go back to about 8-9 & it ran nice

With the stainless scourers in there it allows the muffler to soak up some of the noise & it still sounds quite deep & has a nice note

I basically slide the stainless scourers over the new stainless baffle tube with enough to cover the full length then cut some sheet muffler packing the right width (same length as the muffler) then rolled it around the stainless scourers & slid it all back together

Next time I might pack it a bit tighter though but it is great the way it is, Nice to have a new stainless exhaust from front to back on a 20 year old bike

Any pics of your XR G94 with the White Brothers muffler? Not many of them around anymore so it would be nice to see
XR250INOZ is offline   Reply With Quote