Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2013, 05:28 PM   #1666
g94
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR250INOZ View Post
Yes the steel wool did actually make quite a difference compared to the stock white brothers style packing which is very tight (& heavy) & basically does not allow the exhaust to go through the baffle tube & into the muffler body so the muffler is almost like a straight piece of pipe, I think this is why many people complain that the White Brothers E-Series muffler is so loud even when they reduce the number of discs which should increase the back pressure & lower the sound, I modified/shortened & repacked the muffler before it was fitted to the bike so I did not get to do a before & after test on this bike but I had one on a DRZ250 years ago & found this was the case, When I removed some discs & had about 4-5 installed it did not drop the noise that much but it ran terrible so I had to go back to about 8-9 & it ran nice

With the stainless scourers in there it allows the muffler to soak up some of the noise & it still sounds quite deep & has a nice note

I basically slide the stainless scourers over the new stainless baffle tube with enough to cover the full length then cut some sheet muffler packing the right width (same length as the muffler) then rolled it around the stainless scourers & slid it all back together

Next time I might pack it a bit tighter though but it is great the way it is, Nice to have a new stainless exhaust from front to back on a 20 year old bike

Any pics of your XR G94 with the White Brothers muffler? Not many of them around anymore so it would be nice to see
I'll have to give the steel wool a try. I agree that lowering the amount of discs significantly reduces performance. I also got rid of the original packing ASAP and put in much fluffier stuff. I tried a couple different packing styles. That did help get rid of some of the ringy sound of the exhaust but the bike can still be heard from a couple streets away.

When I tried 4 discs I could barely even get the bike to start... And there was no torque, just a very ringy and sharp exhaust note that I didn't like at all. Now I am using 6 because it's the least amount I can use without ruining the performance entirely.

I can't take a picture right now but here's my latest ride on the beast!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMbQlvw5Bw0
g94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 02:29 PM   #1667
tjrockit
One day closer...

Oddometer: 1,210
nOOb question

I'm thinking about cleaning the carb. Being that the bike 10 years old, probably should replace some old stuff in the process.

Can someone provide me a laundry list of what parts I should consider getting if I do pull the carb and clean it?

Thanks!!
*** The views or comments I express on this site and/or on any other site/forum/social media are strictly my own and do not reflect any past, current or future employer and/or any organization. They are solely my own personal opinions.***
tjrockit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 04:04 PM   #1668
Olas
the darkness

Oddometer: 3,948
I'd leave the carb alone if the bike is running good. As long as the bike is ridden and not left to sit for extended periods, the carburetor will stay in good shape.
Olas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 04:14 PM   #1669
XR250INOZ
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Is it hard to start or run crap when you turn the choke off? Does it have a flat spot/hesitation when you accelerate?

If not I would leave it then
XR250INOZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 12:48 AM   #1670
Africa woody
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Hi guys, just checking in after months of lurking in the shadows. I am now the proud owner of one of very few Honda XR250R's in South Africa. For some reason they never imported many of them. I'm going to do a rebuild and I know that spares are going to be a tricky thing to find here so I'm hoping to be able to draw from the collective experience of all those who have walked this road before.

Wish me luck as i try to take this.....

Back to this...

Hopefully you can follow the re-build here. Any and all advice is welcomed..

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...7#post21787907

Everything that is good in life, happens because of motorbikes...
Africa woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 06:37 AM   #1671
tjrockit
One day closer...

Oddometer: 1,210
Sounds like I'll leave the carb alone then. I had a mechanic friend look it over yesterday and he said it performs like an XR250R. I've had a couple of guys ride the bike and all say the throttle response was disappointing so I've been scratching my head wondering what I could do to improve it.
*** The views or comments I express on this site and/or on any other site/forum/social media are strictly my own and do not reflect any past, current or future employer and/or any organization. They are solely my own personal opinions.***
tjrockit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:10 AM   #1672
SpeedoJosh
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 804
Yea, the 250 can leave more to the imagination, but XR's are known for their tractor likeness. Your buddies are probably used to more high strung 250s. Don't worry, that XR will still be chugging long after the other 250s of its time.

An edelbrock, airbox mod, and exhaust mod made a real noticeable difference in my bike. Probably have a hard time finding an eddie for it, but I believe Mikuni is still popping out pumpers for it.
'Cause I like to party - Story of 2 XR650s conquering Florida
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=754094
SpeedoJosh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:45 AM   #1673
g94
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjrockit View Post
My bike has died on me a couple of times. Always in a straight away as if all of a sudden you hit the kill switch. If I let the bike sit for 2 or 3 minutes, it fires back up and I could ride the rest of the day and not have it happen again. I don't think it has ever happened more than once in a ride.

When I got the bike from the previous owner, there was an oil leak from the stator gasket. I replaced the gasket and it hasn't leaked since.

When I had it at the mechanic yesterday, he gapped the spark plug a little wider than normal and took it for a spin and it died on him. Re-gapped it to spec and it rode fine again. His theory is that there is a weak spark. Maybe a problem with the stator or ignition coil.

As with this type of problem, since it's not consistent, actually rare, it becomes a guessing game of what could be wrong.

I just started working on bikes about 3 years ago, so my experience level is very low but wanted to get other's thoughts on how you might approach the problem.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!
I know it's unlikely that this is your problem, but way way back when my XR was still a turd fresh out of the previous owner, a combination of a tired cam chain, a broken cam chain tensioner, and jacked up valve clearances would make the bike randomly die as you describe. Like everything would be fine and then oh no it's dying again every once in a while, and you couldn't stop it from dying by playing with the throttle.

Just one of my very strange experiences with my XR250R.
Old 07-05-2013, 02:56 PM   #1674
Olas
the darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjrockit View Post
My bike has died on me a couple of times. Always in a straight away as if all of a sudden you hit the kill switch. If I let the bike sit for 2 or 3 minutes, it fires back up and I could ride the rest of the day and not have it happen again. I don't think it has ever happened more than once in a ride.

When I got the bike from the previous owner, there was an oil leak from the stator gasket. I replaced the gasket and it hasn't leaked since.

When I had it at the mechanic yesterday, he gapped the spark plug a little wider than normal and took it for a spin and it died on him. Re-gapped it to spec and it rode fine again. His theory is that there is a weak spark. Maybe a problem with the stator or ignition coil.

As with this type of problem, since it's not consistent, actually rare, it becomes a guessing game of what could be wrong.

I just started working on bikes about 3 years ago, so my experience level is very low but wanted to get other's thoughts on how you might approach the problem.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!
Check the easy stuff first. Check all of your wiring for loose/corroded connections, make sure your kill switch is working properly, valve clearances should be within spec. etc...
Old 07-05-2013, 07:28 PM   #1675
jwdub
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 590
I'm going to put my FMF Powercore 4 up for sale in the flea market. I changed it in short order for a Quietcore. My old ears didn't like the sound level!
jwdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:21 PM   #1676
SpeedoJosh
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 804
I hear a lot of people change from the powercore to the quietcore. Any comparison on the powercore to an uncorked stock muffler?
'Cause I like to party - Story of 2 XR650s conquering Florida
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=754094
SpeedoJosh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:31 PM   #1677
jwdub
Studly Adventurer

For me, the uncorked stock muffler had an irritating pitch. The Powercore's pitch was fine, just more volume than I liked.
Old 07-06-2013, 07:19 AM   #1678
Olas
the darkness

Anyone interested in a Devol skid plate for a '96+ 250R? I sold the bike a while back and this is just sitting around. $75 shipped to your door.
Old 07-06-2013, 01:19 PM   #1679
g94
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwdub View Post
I'm going to put my FMF Powercore 4 up for sale in the flea market. I changed it in short order for a Quietcore. My old ears didn't like the sound level!
If timing was right I'd probably snatch that right up to compare with what I currently have. Unfortunately my tuition is due on the 15th so I'm broke for now
Old 07-06-2013, 03:50 PM   #1680
jwdub
Studly Adventurer

Bummer,

I was in Hawthorne in the middle of April. Met a nice lady at the airport, Betty Easley.