User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2009, 09:21 AM   #196
Olas
the darkness

Oddometer: 3,947
Valvecrusher....You have a problem.

Not sayin' it's a bad one but damn, man!
Olas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 11:21 AM   #197
valvecrusher
tractus pro pensio™

Oddometer: 1,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olas Altas
Valvecrusher....You have a problem.

Not sayin' it's a bad one but damn, man!

None of my riding friends can EVER say, 'i don't have a bike i can ride, or else i'd go with'..

I need a
swingarm bolt for a '94 XR250L, in case someone has one lying around...

to:pdrsrat.
the 130/90 will be a tight fit, maybe too big......it's similar to a 5.10 x 17

a better option would be 120/90 which is close to a 4.60 x 17
(what I always used on my '87 XL250R, and my NX250)

Tire conversion chart

obligatory '87 XL250R gratuitous eye candy
(does this look like a bike that has 21,000 miles?mostly mine)

(Yes, I do have the optional HONDALINE rear cargo package rack, not pic'd)

valvecrusher screwed with this post 09-30-2009 at 11:59 AM
valvecrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 12:33 PM   #198
valvecrusher
tractus pro pensio™

Oddometer: 1,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.Atlas
Yeah, I had a look in there after a short break in of five miles or so... Nothing out of the ordinary. The clutch basket has a tiny bit of play on the shaft but I believe that's just the bushing.
*edit* I read where you already replaced tranny bearings?

one of our ADV'er made a great clutch holding tool, the NX and XR/L 250's have the same clutch, NX and XL are steel plates, the XR is aluminum plates..

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=1335
Credit to IBJim, send him a PM and say thanks for this nifty tool...

This is for holding the clutch basket, while you torque the center clutch basket spanner nut, which isn't easy, even with the HONDA tool.

valvecrusher screwed with this post 09-30-2009 at 01:16 PM
valvecrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 02:13 PM   #199
prsdrat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 686
Questions

That's sort of what I think, just looking at it, but I got this "smokin'" deal
on a new D606, and of course the tire doesn't come in 120/80x17.

Any idea on the clutch cover question?
prsdrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 07:41 AM   #200
gag19381
No Post! Ride Now!!!!

Oddometer: 44
goin to the MX track

Well boys I took a job in Central KS. I don't think there is going to be much dual sport riding I care about after touring the Ozarks the last couple of years. However, there is a MX track in the city near our house.
www.inmanmx.com

Has anyone every taken a 95 XR250R to the track?

Mine has a street plate and I have a couple sets of tires for it....but I can't help but think the MX track might be a bit too much for the chassis.

Any thoughts?
Old 10-24-2009, 02:44 PM   #201
Olas
the darkness

Oddometer: 3,947
Some pics....

The stock pegs don't hold up to much abuse.

XR250 and its big brother, the XR400

Olas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 09:14 AM   #202
calrider
I'm Lost Too!!

Oddometer: 675
A little ride yesterday. Hard to believe I live in a city of a million people and stuff like this exists just outside of the city with nobody else around. What are people doing??
calrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 09:07 AM   #203
chaos616
Motorbike Man

Oddometer: 86
Someone else owns an XR250 (L or R)%*$&)(@*&#$()*

Ok, I knew they did but it is such an understated little bike. I ride my XR250 R in the winter. I have Kenda K760 Trackmaster II tires with studs in them from aerostich. I decided today that I love my little bike, and to be honest, it has been the most reliable bike I have had, runner up is the YZ250 2 smoker.

Here is a picture of winter riding up here in Duluth, MN!!!

Cheers and have fun on the little bike!!!

P.S. How by chance have you guys plated your XR250R. I tried doing the refurbish route, but that didn't work, the state said no because the Certificate of Origin said it was "For Off Road Use Only". Right now I am running plates that the state wanted back in April, When it comes time to get new tabs, well, the plate from my KLR 650 is going on the bike and I guess I just wont get caught. I looked at the "custom bike" route, but you need recipts for the forks, wheels, swingarms, frame, everything that the bike needs to run minus the seat. Any suggestions would be really appreciated, although I am going to ride illegal or not! Thanks!!!
Old 11-19-2009, 12:45 PM   #204
AWM
Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer: 11,383
You let me know when you near NY Chaos.
I got a nice 1988 XR250R PLATED,thats up for sale as soon as i get the pics sized.Cheap.Shit for the price of your next set of tickets you could be legal!
If anybody is look'n right now let me know i can email pics.

Theres a name for people without beards,"Women".
AWM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 09:36 PM   #205
GonzoTrooper
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Wicked Big red, double your pleasure!

I'd Like to join the club, where do I sign up?

I should be the proud owner of a very nice and barely used '02, if every works out. I'm getting it as a light(er) bike for commuting this winter (if I can get over my previous horrific experiences with 2 wheels and snow ). My trips won't be more than 7mi a day to the university, 25mi to drill and about 35 for pistol league. Another reason I think I need it is for when I need to work on the g650x ( wich shouldn't be too often, the Beamers run forever right? ) I guess they say the Japenese bikes are better than the Chinese bikes.

Also, either me, the bike, or the combination of us is having a hard time keeping up with some of my buddies on some of the more treacherous terrain around here.

I do have a couple questions for you XR riders:
The only addition to the bike that I see getting is a cargo rack of some sort. I've seen the XR's only rack, but that thing is pretty big ( I'm thinking something slightly smaller, tubular steer or whatever)
Are there any other racks out there?
Can you think of anything else that I need to help me stay on two wheels?
Will I need extra lights to survive deer? Are there bolt on pillion pegs for those daring enough?

I've had a couple people recommend a Drz 200 or 250, any reasons you can think of that I shouldn't get a DR over the xr250? If the '02 deal falls through, I'm also eyeing a more used 96 xr-twofiddy.

The restorations on this thread are amazing, maybe (hopefully) I'll have something like that to contribute (or at least some pics and funny crash stories).
GonzoTrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 09:36 PM   #206
calrider
I'm Lost Too!!

Oddometer: 675
!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos616

P.S. How by chance have you guys plated your XR250R. I tried doing the refurbish route, but that didn't work, the state said no because the Certificate of Origin said it was "For Off Road Use Only". Right now I am running plates that the state wanted back in April, When it comes time to get new tabs, well, the plate from my KLR 650 is going on the bike and I guess I just wont get caught. I looked at the "custom bike" route, but you need recipts for the forks, wheels, swingarms, frame, everything that the bike needs to run minus the seat. Any suggestions would be really appreciated, although I am going to ride illegal or not! Thanks!!!
I was reading about this a couple years back when I plated my XR250R. I read of a trick a guy did where he transferred title to someone in a neighboring state that had more lenient laws, then got that person to register it, then "bought" it back and brought it home with the new paperwork from the other state and then used this to register it in his home state. Not sure what the paperwork is, but it's worth a look. Good luck!
calrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 06:03 PM   #207
mikesova
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,849
I'm on the lookout for an xR250 in Michigan, so I can give the XR200R to my wife.
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 06:11 PM   #208
AWM
Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer: 11,383
Well guys its in the Flea Market.

And its plated!
Attached Images

Theres a name for people without beards,"Women".
AWM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 06:40 PM   #209
Pwnzilla
Sexual Tyrannosaurus

Oddometer: 230
I picked up my 1997 Honda XR250R for $400 from a friend of mine. It was is pretty bad shape, broken frame, carb problems, suspension problems, bald tires, and overall just beat up. I put about $150 in it and about 25 hours of labor. Now I have a great little clunker that runs like a top and is a blast to ride. The best thing about it is that if you do something stupid on it and lay her down, who cares it's a $400 bike!

It has Trackmaster tires, (for some reason the kid I bought it from bought DoT tires). It had a Supertrap muffler, jet kit, and I replaced the Uni air filter with new. It has some brand of over sized aluminum bars (can't make out the branding). Factory FX seat. I put new Factory FX tank graphics on it, and some cheap Scott grips. I also painted the horribly banged up side covers red.

After rebuilding the carb, repairing a bunch of things, and generally just cleaning it up, I now have a 1 kick bike. Although the cam timing chain is making some racket, that's the next thing on my to-do list.

I've been riding this little guy for the last 4 weekends in a row and it is so much more fun than my DR650 in the woods.

I liked this nimble bike so much I traded in my DR650 and a 2009 CRF450X is on it's way to my door!

Now I'm on the look out for an XR400.

Pwnzilla screwed with this post 11-20-2009 at 06:53 PM
Pwnzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 09:30 AM   #210
gag19381
No Post! Ride Now!!!!

Oddometer: 44
How I plated my XR250R in MO

To get mine plated I made it DOT compliant and had it inspected by a MO licensed state inspection facility.....that was not a motorcycle shop. They didn't ask any questions. I took my insurance card and inspection to the DMV with the title (that was not yet in my name). I went to register it and the lady said "isn't this a dirt bike?"

I replied " it is a dual purpose bike and DOT compliant" She then changed the status in their computer and issued plates.
Rural MO is pretty awesome sometimes. I will report back again when I have my plates changed to KS. Hard to say what will happen then.