ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-31-2011, 07:08 AM   #751
Big_John
Colorado Rider
 
Big_John's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Oddometer: 2,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmpmrace View Post
I've been an aka lurker around here for a while and got inspired.This is what I came up with.Just got back from a 900 mile ride around the upper penninsula of michigan,4 days, 700mi.dirt 200mi. paved it was a rock solid most excellent adventure for my first time out.

Very nicely outfitted 250!!!! Proves you don't have to have a 1200cc bike to have an adventure.



.
__________________
John
2004 KTM 950 Adventure S
2004 BMW R1150RT
Pointing the Way http://www.gracemotoadv.com
Big_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 09:41 AM   #752
Denim Demon
Aware-of-Vacuity
 
Denim Demon's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Sierra Vista, AZ
Oddometer: 96
Good ol' Maxxis

[QUOTE=midengineracer;16518077]DD, I went with Maxxis Desert IT and was very happy, but I spent little time on the roads. I am not overly aggressive, but I felt better in the corners and liked them while climbing around the mountains there.


I have been using Maxxis Desert tires since I've owned my XR. My buddy rides the Desert ITs and swears by them. The tires I've been using are just great on the trails - but a serious PITA to change by hand when cold. I am doing a section of the CTD from Northern NM to somewhere in Wyoming in September. I know most (80%+) of the riding will be off road but the Maxxis Deserts are definitely knobby for the road. Any other fanboys of other tires?
__________________
Denim Demon
Denim Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 05:02 PM   #753
zazz
Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Oddometer: 47
small fuel leak??

i noticed this morning that i have a little puddle of gasoline that has formed under my bike. Its coming from some kind of rubber drain/breather tube that ends towards the back wheel.

I have never seen this before ... the only thing i can think of is i took a muddy spill the other day ..but what would cause fuel to drip??
zazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 09:05 PM   #754
Brewster
Adventurer
 
Brewster's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Arizona
Oddometer: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by zazz View Post
i noticed this morning that i have a little puddle of gasoline that has formed under my bike. Its coming from some kind of rubber drain/breather tube that ends towards the back wheel.

I have never seen this before ... the only thing i can think of is i took a muddy spill the other day ..but what would cause fuel to drip??
A few things could cause the fuel to drip. A stuck float or a piece of dirt stuck in the float valve.

There is also a piece Honda calls a "Jet Holder", it doesn't hold the jet so I'm not sure why they call it that. Anyway, its a baffle (white plastic piece) that keeps the fuel from sloshing around to much in the bowl. They have a habit of falling off and I have had one jam up my float. If you pull the bowl it will probably be laying in the bottom of the bowl.

I have three XR's and have removed the baffle from all three. They continue to run perfect.

Just some thoughts ............. they would be my first places to look.

You ARE shutting off the fuel when you're not riding, right?

Cheers,
__________________
Brewster
Brewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 09:32 PM   #755
zazz
Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Oddometer: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewster View Post
A few things could cause the fuel to drip. A stuck float or a piece of dirt stuck in the float valve.

There is also a piece Honda calls a "Jet Holder", it doesn't hold the jet so I'm not sure why they call it that. Anyway, its a baffle (white plastic piece) that keeps the fuel from sloshing around to much in the bowl. They have a habit of falling off and I have had one jam up my float. If you pull the bowl it will probably be laying in the bottom of the bowl.

I have three XR's and have removed the baffle from all three. They continue to run perfect.

Just some thoughts ............. they would be my first places to look.

You ARE shutting off the fuel when you're not riding, right?

Cheers,
thanks ill take a look at those things .....but no i dont switch the fuel off...

ps....turning off the fuel did stop the dripping ....would that still indicate float valve or jet holder??

zazz screwed with this post 08-05-2011 at 03:46 AM
zazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 02:10 AM   #756
kawliox
n00b
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Oddometer: 1
Cycra plastic skid plate

Hello, guys!

does anybody tried to fit XR '96-'04 with a Cycra plastic skid plate? I know that these are mainly made for motocross machines but still maybe somebody tried it and it fitted?

http://store.cycraracing.com/sparskplforh.html

Thanks!
kawliox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 09:38 AM   #757
Brewster
Adventurer
 
Brewster's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Arizona
Oddometer: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by zazz View Post
thanks ill take a look at those things .....but no i dont switch the fuel off...

ps....turning off the fuel did stop the dripping ....would that still indicate float valve or jet holder??

Yes, pull the bowl and make sure the float is not stuck, and make sure the float valve does not have dirt in it preventing it from closing.

Cheers
__________________
Brewster
Brewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 09:30 AM   #758
Schrauberklaus
***ifyer
 
Schrauberklaus's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Phuket ,Thailand
Oddometer: 356
Hi , just found this Thread , dont't know how i miss it for so long .
Now its time to show you my two little ones .


2004 XR 250 R Sumo ( Japanese Model )

Wheels from Honda NSR RR 250
Contiforce SM 120 Front 150 Rear
280 cc Piston 10,5/1
Hotcam Stage 1
XRsonly Power header and mid Pipe ,Supertrap Muffler
Mikuni TM 36 Pumpercarb
selfmade Air Tube
Modifid Air Box
selfmade Air Filter
Oil Cooler
Hinson Clutch
Motomaster 320 mm Breakdisk
Stainless Breaklines
14/36 Sprockets
Acerbis Front Fender
Shock Soxs on XR 400 Fork
HID Head Light , LED Rear Light
WP Shock



And Side by Side with the Dirty Brother


Original a 96 XR 250 Baja
with XR 600 Tank and XL 600 Frontmask Lights and Header , TM 34 Carb and RSV Muffler

Somewere in the Mountains of Thailand
__________________
Klaus
___________________________
Honda XL 600 R(S) 84 , Honda XR 600 Dual Carb. 87
Honda XR 280 R Sumo 04 , Honda XR 250 Baja 98
Yamaha Speed MX ( 2 Stroke ) 01 ,CRF250L 13
Schrauberklaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 03:08 PM   #759
fiep
Beastly Adventurer
 
fiep's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: GA
Oddometer: 1,939
Hallo Klaus,
schoen, Dich hier zu sehen


feeler: part out or not?
I have an 86 XR250 with some minor problems
'borrowed' the clutch cable for my LC
engine seems low on compression (have a well running 94 engine under the work bench)
needs tires
needs shock
has some scratches

big plus: it has a title
it looks all original and complete
it looks (judging from the frame) little abused and low mileage

I will definitely never ride it,
to many bikes already
should I rebuild or part out?
fiep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 06:29 PM   #760
sion
sigh-own
 
sion's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Hocking Hills
Oddometer: 3,551
so I guess I'll fess up to roaching the top end of my bike (02 XR250R)...to repair it I'm gonna need a new cam and rocker arms...also I think the cam chain is stretched (see previous posts) so that would be replaced as well...havent done too much pricing but I'm guessing its gonna be in the $300-500 range for the various parts

which leads me to consider other options, such as buying a good used engine or top end, if I can find such

or I may decide to upgrade to a 400 if'n I can find one

so I'm asking here if anyone has a good engine or top end they might wanna get rid of cheap?
__________________
I say, there's no such thing as a bad day's riding. -metaljockey

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301
sion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 09:30 PM   #761
Olas
the darkness
 
Olas's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Englewood, CO
Oddometer: 3,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by sion View Post
so I guess I'll fess up to roaching the top end of my bike (02 XR250R)...to repair it I'm gonna need a new cam and rocker arms...also I think the cam chain is stretched (see previous posts) so that would be replaced as well...havent done too much pricing but I'm guessing its gonna be in the $300-500 range for the various parts
Bummer! How did it happen? Low oil, no oil, old oil?

If you're planning on keeping the bike for a long time get some new, OEM parts. Other option is to cruise ebay daily and look for a complete top end off a previously running bike, you might save a few bills that way but you get what you pay for in this case.
__________________
Rebuild threads:
'92 XT600, '87 XR250R
Lighten up, Francis.
Olas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 03:09 AM   #762
sion
sigh-own
 
sion's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Hocking Hills
Oddometer: 3,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olas View Post
Bummer! How did it happen? Low oil, no oil, old oil?
low oil + running at 50 mph for 15 miles down a country road...
__________________
I say, there's no such thing as a bad day's riding. -metaljockey

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301
sion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 02:17 PM   #763
gvthnks
Studly Adventurer
 
gvthnks's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Actionville NC
Oddometer: 536
How long did it take to get low? Did your bike burn oil or had it been on it's side lately?
__________________
09 Kawi KLR 650
05 Road Kind Custom
01 Suzuki DRZ-250
96 Honda Shadow
93 Honda XR 80
87 Honda XR250r
83 Honda XR350r
73 Honda XL350
73 CB750
73 Yamaha DT-1

wife calls it a sickness. I'm running a M/C rescue
gvthnks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 04:13 PM   #764
sion
sigh-own
 
sion's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Hocking Hills
Oddometer: 3,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvthnks View Post
How long did it take to get low? Did your bike burn oil or had it been on it's side lately?

I've not quite figured out how to get the proper level of oil in the damned thing...I've always got either too much or too little....if I repair this engine I'm gonna tear it down far enough to make sure all the passage ways are clear
__________________
I say, there's no such thing as a bad day's riding. -metaljockey

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301
sion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 05:26 PM   #765
Olas
the darkness
 
Olas's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Englewood, CO
Oddometer: 3,948
Is there supposed to be a gasket between the (stock) muffler tip and the muffler it self? I noticed air leaking out around the tip and no gasket in between. This is on a 2003 XR250R
__________________
Rebuild threads:
'92 XT600, '87 XR250R
Lighten up, Francis.
Olas is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014