User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2011, 08:02 PM   #766
Olas
the darkness

Oddometer: 3,951

2003 XR250R...

I missed my ol' '87 XR250R that I sold last November so much that I had to have another one. This is quite nicer than my '87 though. Doesn't feel as heavy and it seems to rev a bit quicker than the old one. Plenty of torque and light enough to get me through the nasty (rocky) hills around Colorado. After riding a YZ250 all summer this is quite the change, but I welcome it. This will probably be the only bike I keep in the stable until I have finished my degree (ME). I just won't have much time to ride the next year and a half and it's pointless to have 2 or 3 bikes sitting around not being used when I could use the money for other things. I know the XR will be there ready to go when I am.
Olas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 09:44 PM   #767
Olas
the darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by sion View Post
I've not quite figured out how to get the proper level of oil in the damned thing...I've always got either too much or too little....if I repair this engine I'm gonna tear it down far enough to make sure all the passage ways are clear
Best way is to use a measuring cup when filling it up again after an oil change. Add what the manual recommends and then go from there. I found that I needed an extra 150 ml than what the manual recommended for a oil + filter change. Now I know for next time and I know it will be spot on.

To check the oil level (from cold): have a towel ready in your pocket, ride the bike around for a bit to get it warmed up, stop, let it idle for about 15 seconds, turn off the bike and check the oil level while still sitting on the bike so that it is nice and level.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:57 AM   #768
Wookazoid
Tree Basher

Oddometer: 490
I learned how to check the oil the hard way. A few years ago, I was racing my XR400 at a local hare scramble so when I checked the oil before the race, it appeared to be low. I added oil, warmed it up and immediately checked it again. Added oil the second time, immediately checked it and finally got it on the dipstick. I walked off, came back a couple of minutes later and being the anal person I am, checked it once again and it was way, way too full.

My drill, and I've heard this from other XR owners, is to warm it up then let it sit for a minute or so before checking it. This allows for the oil to come back into the frame from the engine. It's strange, but it's always worked for me.

Now that I've given my two cents worth on oil level checking, does anyone know if there is a muffler insert out there available for the XR250R (mine's an '04 model) that is similar to the old Thumper Racing down-turned insert that was available a few years back? I had one on my 400 and would love to put one on my 250. The baffles have been removed and it's a little on the loud side. I've tagged it and though it's no where near the noise level of a straight pipe Harley, I still get concerned that the police might give me a little flack since it looks like a dirt/race bike. I like to be stealthy.
Wookazoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 07:02 AM   #769
*nick*
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 357
I'm completely anal about maintaining my bike as I rely on it as a mode of transport, many friends, fellow XR riders and even my mechanic who has owned and loved XR's agree it's hard to get a dead accurate oil level check on these dry sump models but the following steps will give you the best results:

the correct way to check the oil on a dry sump late model XR250R:
  1. go for at least a 10 minute ride to have the bike completely warm
  2. then let the bike idle at a slow speed parked on flat ground sitting the bike as upright as possible,
  3. let the bike idle with no further adjustments to anything for at least 2 minutes, 2 - 5 is ideal
  4. remove the dip stick with the bike still idling, wipe it clean
  5. hold the bike perfectly upright, hit the kill switch then quickly insert the dipstick so the plastic top touches the top of the threads in the frame (don't screw it in at all) and then pull it out for a reading

*for oil changes i follow the manuals recommendation, from memory it's 1.3L after at an oil change, 1.4L of oil after an oil and oil filter change and 1.6L after a complete engine rebuild.
    *I change my oil and oil filter every 1,000km's religiously and find 1.5L wont overfill the bike, i do a lot of road commuting and cant see an extra 100ml doing any harm plus it still registers as well below full on the dip stick
Old 08-24-2011, 05:43 AM   #770
Johnnyboxer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,034
I'm thinking about another XR250R (sold my 99 model in 2004) and last night went to look at a 2003 model, with only 700kms (500 miles on it) in very nice condition and all ready for the road

Had a quick spin on a few trails and it felt ok (maybe a little fluffy on the cam, perhaps a carb clean) all else ok

Nice little bike, I fancy another for winter and tighter rocky trails (I have a BMW Xchallenge too).................would it be too close in comparision to the XChallenge as a dirt tool

Should I go for it

2005 BMW R1150GS Adv - Black
2005 BMW R1150GS Adv - Silver
2007 BMW G650 XCountry - Black
Johnnyboxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 01:29 PM   #771
beat
Double Dutchie

Oddometer: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyboxer View Post
I fancy another for winter and tighter rocky trails (I have a BMW Xchallenge too).................would it be too close in comparision to the XChallenge as a dirt tool

Should I go for it
you drove both, you should know the answer
beat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 01:31 PM   #772
Denim Demon
Aware-of-Vacuity

Oddometer: 96
Ummm... yes

I don't know how much you have to pay for the bike but you are not in the best forum to get unbiased opinions about the little XRs haha. Of course I say get it if you want a bike that can tear up those trails.

About the Xchallenge... I would have to leave that open for other folks because I have never ridden one. I typically would not think of comparing the Xchallenge to an XR250r... just doesn't really make sense in my head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyboxer View Post
I'm thinking about another XR250R (sold my 99 model in 2004) and last night went to look at a 2003 model, with only 700kms (500 miles on it) in very nice condition and all ready for the road

Had a quick spin on a few trails and it felt ok (maybe a little fluffy on the cam, perhaps a carb clean) all else ok

Nice little bike, I fancy another for winter and tighter rocky trails (I have a BMW Xchallenge too).................would it be too close in comparision to the XChallenge as a dirt tool

Should I go for it
Old 08-24-2011, 01:32 PM   #773
Denim Demon
Aware-of-Vacuity

Oddometer: 96
Yep

+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by beat View Post
you drove both, you should know the answer
Old 08-24-2011, 02:18 PM   #774
Olas
the darkness

Challenge = very expensive if you break something on the trail.

XR = cheap to fix and maintain

Like it's been said already, the two aren't in the same category so a comparison is difficult...the only place where I think the challenge would win is on the road.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
Old 08-25-2011, 02:44 AM   #775
Johnnyboxer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,034
Thanks guys, I guess you're right

I rode the XR250 2 days ago and hadn't ridden one since 2004 (although I did trailride a XR400 for a day in 2007)

In all honesty I found it really flat on the trail and a bit soggy and reason I considered one again, was it's lightness and easier power delivery (than the XChallenge) especially in gnarly winter conditions

I can ride the XChallenge most places, but can be a handful in mud, with 140kg and 53hp on tap

I also rode a CRF250X a week ago, but found it horrible - bad ergo's etc and hence the rekindled interest in the XR250R

Price...............the guy wants $2500 for the 700km 2002 XR250R - registered (titled) for the road

2005 BMW R1150GS Adv - Black
2005 BMW R1150GS Adv - Silver
2007 BMW G650 XCountry - Black
Johnnyboxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 10:55 AM   #776
beat
Double Dutchie

Oddometer: 88
i drive an xr4 as well and rode with people on xchalanges and i was falling behind 1. they had beter driving skills; 2. they had more power in the strait lines, but a made that most of the time up with really late breaking. i never wore out a front tire that quick.
for me the 250 is lower and you can't make mistakes
with the 400 i keep up with the rest of the pack
but on single tracks you don't need power, you need a light and good handling motor
beat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 11:04 AM   #777
Wookazoid
Tree Basher

Oddometer: 490
I have an XR250R ('04) and a CRF250X. I ride the X on the faster stuff, but the more technical, the more I enjoy riding the XR. We have some extremely technical single track up here in the Arkansas Ozarks and that's where the little XR shines. It's not a power house, but you don't need that there. It will almost make out like a trials bike and the handling is great for that kind of terrain. Even though the CRF250X isn't a monster power type of bike, it's just not as fun. The slow reving XR will just crawl up about anything. Just remember to keep your toes pointed up and keep out of bottomless mud.
Wookazoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 01:12 AM   #778
midengineracer
Lost, with a GPS

Oddometer: 1,285
Thumb Yep

I'll second Wookazoid. I actually rode with a guy on a trials bike through some rocky creek bed and was doing rather well until I realized if I screwed up, I wouldn't be able to get going again like he could. I promptly bailed following him, but he spent a while trying to convince me to get a trials bike and come play with him.

The XR works really well at making challenging stuff easier. If you you need raw power to do it, the XR isn't right, but it will work in so many other situations that it is truly a great bike. I wish I had put a pumper on one of my XR's to see if that would have livened it up enough to make me keep it but I opted for something newer with a much better suspension but more motor than I need.
2010 H-D XR1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by 685
The best accessory for a KLR is another bike for riding offroad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-Twin
I need to start riding my bicycle more so I can justify a cool new one.
midengineracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 08:11 AM   #779
me06
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
my old ride

1991 xr250r me06, still going strong after 20 yrs.
freshly rebuilt engine with oem parts.
xr400r forks & shock.
had to weld a pair of steering stops on the frame to accommodate the 400 lower clamp.
also fitted a lowering link as the 400 shock was too long.
me06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 04:41 PM   #780
MentalGuru
Crazy Diamond

Oddometer: 726
Laugh

Here's my Project 87 XR250R with XR600R fork trees, XR650L forks, rear shock, swingarm, lower link, XR250R pivot, XR6560L brakes and wheels.

It also has a XR650L seat and Clarke 4.7 gallon gas tank.

It's titled and plated too.

TNT -- Metal Guru
MentalGuru is offline   Reply With Quote