n16ht5
ride the night

Oddometer: 2,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olas View Post
Taken today up at 12,800 ft:

[

wow, cool pictures!

I have taken my XR250 across the state, about 300 miles in one day. Make sure you have atleast 15/45 or taller gearing and an oil temp gauge. Mine got a little warm going up the pass in 90deg F heat.
n16ht5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 03:05 PM   #812
Big_John
Colorado Rider

Oddometer: 2,926
So here's the deal.....I would like your feedback. Six months ago I purchased a 2000 XR250R for the wife. She just isn't going to ride it much....so I thought I would turn it into my trail bike. I'm a big guy, so gearing it low will be necessary..... but I really need advice on the suspension.

I also own a XR650R and have done a full suspension upgrade to it, 0.49kg front springs and a 12.0kg rear spring. Now it handles my 250 lbs very well.

What should I do....what can I do about the suspension on this little 250?

Pointing the Way http://www.gracemotoadv.com
Big_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 03:22 PM   #813
sion
sigh-own

Oddometer: 3,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_John View Post
I also own a XR650R and have done a full suspension upgrade to it, 0.49kg front springs and a 12.0kg rear spring. Now it handles my 250 lbs very well.

uh...same thing as the 650...?

I didnt see the point of riding the 250 since you already have the 650 setup to your liking, then I checked out the weight of the two bikes.

theres roughly a 60 (dry) pound weight differential between the two bikes...if thats enough to make you wanna ride the smaller bike on trails, then just do the same mods to the suspension of the 250 as you did to the 650. if the weight differential is NOT significant to you, then I'd leave the 250 alone and sell/trade it.

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301
sion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 05:07 PM   #814
midengineracer
Lost, with a GPS

Oddometer: 1,285
Quote:
So here's the deal.....I would like your feedback. Six months ago I purchased a 2000 XR250R for the wife. She just isn't going to ride it much....so I thought I would turn it into my trail bike. I'm a big guy, so gearing it low will be necessary..... but I really need advice on the suspension.

Yes, same stuff you did to the 650, basically.

Don't gear it down much or 1st will be useless. You should be able to ride it with the gearing it has now.
2010 H-D XR1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by 685
The best accessory for a KLR is another bike for riding offroad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-Twin
I need to start riding my bicycle more so I can justify a cool new one.
midengineracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 06:14 PM   #815
AC909
Great Job!

Oddometer: 964
Sooooo excited!

Just picked up a 96' XR250 for $500.00! It is barn fresh but everything is there and it (bump) starts just fine. The motor sounds nice and tight without any ticking noises. I stripped it down pretty bare tonight and pretty sure I cleaned out 15 years of grime. The exhaust is shot, literally hanging by the welds, so I have a new system on the way. I ordered a Leo Vince complete system for a 96' and up XR400 which I have heard mixed reviews on how difficult will be to "mount right up". I am expecting a little cutting and welding but my family does that by trade so no problem at all there. I don't know how to post pictures otherwise I would but I will definitely post how the mount up goes on the exhaust system. Besides that changing the plug, some cosmetics, and other basics need replaced but nothing too deep at all. Cant wait to make this little beast the woods weapon of my dreams!
Old 10-20-2011, 08:34 PM   #816
Big_John
Colorado Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by sion View Post
uh...same thing as the 650...?

I didnt see the point of riding the 250 since you already have the 650 setup to your liking, then I checked out the weight of the two bikes.

theres roughly a 60 (dry) pound weight differential between the two bikes...if thats enough to make you wanna ride the smaller bike on trails, then just do the same mods to the suspension of the 250 as you did to the 650. if the weight differential is NOT significant to you, then I'd leave the 250 alone and sell/trade it.

Well, that 60 lb difference has me wondering. For instance, should I just go with a 11.0kg rear and 0.47kg fronts.....because the bike is 60 lbs lighter??????

Has anyone redone the suspension on these 250's for a 250 lb rider?

Old 10-20-2011, 08:40 PM   #817
sion
sigh-own

Oddometer: 3,497
Quote:
Well, that 60 lb difference has me wondering. For instance, should I just go with a 11.0kg rear and 0.47kg fronts.....because the bike is 60 lbs lighter??????

good point that I hadn't considered. sounds like you need the advice of a suspension guru, as opposed to the ramblings of random schmucks on the interenet (like me)

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301
sion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 07:03 AM   #818
Olas
the darkness

Oddometer: 3,902
Hey John, the PO put stiffer fork springs and a shock spring on my bike. I like it a lot better, but I am only about 170 lbs with gear on. The other 250 I had was all stock and the suspension was way too soft. I would say that you might be able to get the suspension sorted but then you will find the bike will fall short in the power department. On steep technical terrain you will pretty much be riding it like a 2-stroke: slipping the clutch trying to keep the revs up because once they drop past a certain point, it will be very hard to get back the power you need. It's the exact opposite of 600cc class bike. On a big bore bike you can just give it gas, get the power you need and you're on your way.

Of course, this all depends on where you'll be riding it. If you're just plonking around out at Rampart, what I said above probably won't matter but if you want the bike for high elevation, rocky, steep trails like what a lot of the single track in Colorado is like..you will miss the power. Don't get me wrong, I love my 250 and it is my trail bike of choice. Just my 2 cents! Let us know what you end up doing with the bike.
Olas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 09:18 AM   #819
Olas
the darkness

A few from 2 weeks ago...Taken around Buena Vista and Salida:

Old 10-22-2011, 10:03 AM   #820
Big_John
Colorado Rider

2000 model seat pan?????

I have a 2000 XR250R..... and I am looking for a second seat. Does anyone have a stock seat....even if it is torn up....that you would part with? I am going to get the Extra-Tall seat cushion from XR's only and recover. As long as the plastic seat pan is in good shape....that's all I need. Matter of fact, a crappy seat that you would part with for CHEAP....would be perfect. I am going to work on the bike over the winter to fix it up for my trail bike....re-spinging, extra tall seat, etc...

I want to keep the original seat, as it has already been custom fitted for a 5'6" rider.....that fits my wife perfectly.

Thanks,

John
Old 10-22-2011, 10:10 AM   #821
Big_John
Colorado Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olas View Post
Hey John, the PO put stiffer fork springs and a shock spring on my bike. I like it a lot better, but I am only about 170 lbs with gear on. The other 250 I had was all stock and the suspension was way too soft. I would say that you might be able to get the suspension sorted but then you will find the bike will fall short in the power department. On steep technical terrain you will pretty much be riding it like a 2-stroke: slipping the clutch trying to keep the revs up because once they drop past a certain point, it will be very hard to get back the power you need. It's the exact opposite of 600cc class bike. On a big bore bike you can just give it gas, get the power you need and you're on your way.

Of course, this all depends on where you'll be riding it. If you're just plonking around out at Rampart, what I said above probably won't matter but if you want the bike for high elevation, rocky, steep trails like what a lot of the single track in Colorado is like..you will miss the power. Don't get me wrong, I love my 250 and it is my trail bike of choice. Just my 2 cents! Let us know what you end up doing with the bike.

It's all about having the right tool for the job, right?

You are absolutely correct about my 650R. That thing is a frickin mountain goat. I have climbed stuff without killing the engine, where others riding with me have killed their bikes half a dozen times. It is a Torque Monster!!!!!

But, I really want to play in the woods with a 250lb bike. As for the power department, that is why I was considering gearing it down. Right now I have a 52T on the rear of my 650R....where stock is a 48T. I believe the 250R is a 48T as well. I just wonder how it will climb around the steep stuff with a 52T on the rear????? Anyone have any experience with lower gearing in steep, technical stuff? Olas....how is your bike geared?
Old 10-22-2011, 10:47 AM   #822
Olas
the darkness

I am using stock gearing which is 13/48. First gear is pretty low but good for climbing steep, rocky trails. For the most part I ride in 2nd gear while on the harder trails but when a technical climb or obstacle comes up I go down to first. Top speed with this set up is 60m/h, but more comfortable at 55m/h. I like this set up because it barely gives up low end grunt for a bit of top end speed. Now, if my bike wasn't plated, and I never planned on possibly shooting up a canyon road to get to another trail, I'd be getting a bigger sprocket for the rear.
Old 10-22-2011, 02:50 PM   #823
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,344
I run 12x50 sprockets. I tried 12x51 and went back to the 50T. I ride technical single track in the mountains (Colorado guys call them hills), 2-6000', over 4000' power falls off noticeably, at 6000' it's very anemic. I have a high compression piston to put in, which I think would help, but I haven't got around to it, partly because it runs so sweet below 3000' I'm hesitant to mess with it.
With that gearing I can still take short runs down the highway at 60 mph, but it aint fun.

lamotovita screwed with this post 10-22-2011 at 02:56 PM
lamotovita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 07:34 AM   #824
Big_John
Colorado Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamotovita View Post
I run 12x50 sprockets. I tried 12x51 and went back to the 50T. I ride technical single track in the mountains (Colorado guys call them hills), 2-6000', over 4000' power falls off noticeably, at 6000' it's very anemic. I have a high compression piston to put in, which I think would help, but I haven't got around to it, partly because it runs so sweet below 3000' I'm hesitant to mess with it.
With that gearing I can still take short runs down the highway at 60 mph, but it aint fun.

Yeah, for us Colorado boys, tuning the bike for high elevations is critical. Fortunately for me, the guy that owned mine previously, uncorked it and it runs really great between 6k-10k feet. Matter of fact we have had the bike up to 13k feet and it still seemed to run really good.

But, I appreciate the feedback on the sprockets. So as not to "eat in" to the swingarm or rubber guides, I think I will stay with the stock counter-shaft sprocket.....and go to a 51-52 in the rear. Unfortunately, this will probably be a part of this bike being a winter project and won't be able to report back until April or May when the snow starts to melt.
Old 10-24-2011, 01:45 PM   #825
Crilly
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 723
upload test

Crilly is offline   Reply With Quote