Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2011, 02:17 PM   #826
Big_John
Colorado Rider

Oddometer: 2,916

How did that Green Bike get in this thread????

Are those the new plastics from Acerbis for the XR250R???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crilly View Post
Pointing the Way http://www.gracemotoadv.com
Big_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 05:05 PM   #827
sion
sigh-own

Oddometer: 3,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crilly View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_John View Post

How did that Green Bike get in this thread????

ACK!!! MY EYES!!!! I'M BLIND!!!!

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301
sion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 10:01 AM   #828
beat
Double Dutchie

Oddometer: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC909 View Post
The exhaust is shot, literally hanging by the welds, so I have a new system on the way. I ordered a Leo Vince complete system for a 96' and up XR400 which I have heard mixed reviews on how difficult will be to "mount right up". I am expecting a little cutting and welding but my family does that by trade so no problem at all there.
i fitted a stock xr400 system on my 250 '89
the end of the headers is further inward and back. so i cut one less than one inch out and re welded the rest.
the can slots right in but the stock mount is further back on the 400, but after the header mod, that is not a modification

it feels like the first 15 % of the rev range is less powerful but the rest is more powerful
beat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 12:44 AM   #829
tortugo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Yesterday (and also today) it was raining all over the day so... obiously we decide to take a ride:
Here I post some photos... :p (that's all we enjoy, don't we?)

Some views...

Some water crosses

Some mud

And lots of rainy trails!!!

And then, the hardest work...

Luckily I don't went alone, but my friend Mik don't ride an XR... :p

Salut!!!
Old 10-28-2011, 02:15 AM   #830
sion
sigh-own

that doesn't look all that different from where I ride...

Salut to you too, tortugo!!

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301
Old 10-28-2011, 06:15 AM   #831
AC909
Great Job!

Oddometer: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by beat View Post
i fitted a stock xr400 system on my 250 '89
the end of the headers is further inward and back. so i cut one less than one inch out and re welded the rest.
the can slots right in but the stock mount is further back on the 400, but after the header mod, that is not a modification

it feels like the first 15 % of the rev range is less powerful but the rest is more powerful
Yeah, I really didn't have much of an issue when I was mounting the exhaust up last night. Instead of cutting the 400 exhaust I am just going to make a simple bracket that goes from the current hole over to the new pipes hole (about an inch or so difference). This way if I would ever want to go to the stock system again I am in good shape and I also dont have to damage that BEAUTIFUL Leo Vince system. I am planning on doing a thread on the entire rebuild of the bike. I will be sure and share the link when I start it. Thanks for the info!
Old 10-28-2011, 08:39 AM   #832
midengineracer
Lost, with a GPS

Oddometer: 1,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC909 View Post
Yeah, I really didn't have much of an issue when I was mounting the exhaust up last night. Instead of cutting the 400 exhaust I am just going to make a simple bracket that goes from the current hole over to the new pipes hole (about an inch or so difference).
I mounted a newer model XR exhaust on my older XR. I just used flat steel and wrapped it around the frame and that supported the rear of the exhaust. In case anyone wanted to go back to stock on that bike

Mine was an old, worn XR, not pretty anywhere.
2010 H-D XR1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by 685
The best accessory for a KLR is another bike for riding offroad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-Twin
I need to start riding my bicycle more so I can justify a cool new one.
midengineracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 03:39 PM   #833
sion
sigh-own

not sure how much I mentioned it here in this thread, but about 6 or 8 weeks ago I somehow holed the piston in Dora, my 02.

today Dora lives again:

Old 11-04-2011, 04:28 PM   #834
tri650
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 356
Back to the 250

After just selling my KTM 450 MXC I picked up a 03 250R. The 450 was a beast and too much for this old guy. Had a XR400 prior to KTM and liked it but got tired of the kick. Had a 250R before that but thought I needed more power, hence the move to the 400. Was about ready to give up for the season until I found this cheap 03. Kind of beat up but it started and ran. Brought it down to friends farm and this baby kicked over easily and started right up and ran fine. Nice, controlable power, and did I mention how easy it was to kick. Try kicking a 450 KTM! Thought I needed the magic button but I can live with this. Nice to be back on a very simple, easy to ride, dependable bike. Just fun to ride. Look forward to further thrashing over the weekend. I'll post pics when I get back in town.
tri650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 08:46 PM   #835
n16ht5
ride the night

Oddometer: 2,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamotovita View Post
I run 12x50 sprockets. I tried 12x51 and went back to the 50T. I ride technical single track in the mountains (Colorado guys call them hills), 2-6000', over 4000' power falls off noticeably, at 6000' it's very anemic. I have a high compression piston to put in, which I think would help, but I haven't got around to it, partly because it runs so sweet below 3000' I'm hesitant to mess with it.
With that gearing I can still take short runs down the highway at 60 mph, but it aint fun.
wierd. I\ride 500ft-7000 and my bike runs fine the whole time. even power at 7k. what jetting are you running/? I have 15-45 and swap to 13t for trails
n16ht5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 08:46 PM   #836
n16ht5
ride the night

Oddometer: 2,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by tri650 View Post
After just selling my KTM 450 MXC I picked up a 03 250R. The 450 was a beast and too much for this old guy. Had a XR400 prior to KTM and liked it but got tired of the kick. Had a 250R before that but thought I needed more power, hence the move to the 400. Was about ready to give up for the season until I found this cheap 03. Kind of beat up but it started and ran. Brought it down to friends farm and this baby kicked over easily and started right up and ran fine. Nice, controlable power, and did I mention how easy it was to kick. Try kicking a 450 KTM! Thought I needed the magic button but I can live with this. Nice to be back on a very simple, easy to ride, dependable bike. Just fun to ride. Look forward to further thrashing over the weekend. I'll post pics when I get back in town.
wow. right on.. wheres pics?
n16ht5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 08:46 PM   #837
Big_John
Colorado Rider

Oddometer: 2,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olas View Post
Hey John, the PO put stiffer fork springs and a shock spring on my bike. I like it a lot better, but I am only about 170 lbs with gear on. The other 250 I had was all stock and the suspension was way too soft. I would say that you might be able to get the suspension sorted but then you will find the bike will fall short in the power department. On steep technical terrain you will pretty much be riding it like a 2-stroke: slipping the clutch trying to keep the revs up because once they drop past a certain point, it will be very hard to get back the power you need. It's the exact opposite of 600cc class bike. On a big bore bike you can just give it gas, get the power you need and you're on your way.

Of course, this all depends on where you'll be riding it. If you're just plonking around out at Rampart, what I said above probably won't matter but if you want the bike for high elevation, rocky, steep trails like what a lot of the single track in Colorado is like..you will miss the power. Don't get me wrong, I love my 250 and it is my trail bike of choice. Just my 2 cents! Let us know what you end up doing with the bike.

I've done more research and I am now.....further confused.

On my 650R the stock rear spring was a 9.3kg. On the Eibach website, it states that the stock spring for a 2000 XR250R is a 11.0kg spring. Now, when I would sit on the 650, it would sag about 3-4 inches. When I sit on the 250 it seems to be very squishy and drops 5-6 inches.

Why does the 250 feel so squishing with an 11.0kg spring?

According to Eibach, the stiffest spring I can upgrade to is a 12.0kg. I'm not sure that will be enough for my 250lb body.

Can anyone comment on all of this?????
Pointing the Way http://www.gracemotoadv.com
Big_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 08:59 PM   #838
Brtp4
Yea, its a friggin L

Oddometer: 1,930
I had my shock revalved and put a 12.0 on mine. I weigh 217. It seems a too soft to me, and I think it will be the same for you.

I think you can order a custom Eibach spring. If you went with a 12.5 I would probably tag onto your order.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Brtp4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 01:21 PM   #839
SEBSPEED
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Went and checked out some new trails with a friend today, he was on a newer CRF250. He was smoking me on the straights but every time we stopped he had a heck of a time starting his bike. One kick on the little beasty for me, every time. Gotta love it!
SEBSPEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 01:18 AM   #840
Johnnyboxer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 993
Just bought another one, after a seven year absence

1998 vintage, 4500 miles only and completely bog standard - not a farkle in sight and only $1400 equivalent
Attached Images

2005 BMW R1150GS Adv - Black
2005 BMW R1150GS Adv - Silver
2007 BMW G650 XCountry - Black
Johnnyboxer is offline   Reply With Quote