Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2012, 02:15 PM   #1441
Tachedoutoffroad
Mr. Parrish

Oddometer: 596
My 250/300 fukin rocks!!!

Reminds me more of my Husky 310 than my XR400

Suspension, suspension, suspension! Revalved, steering dampener, and new triple tree makes it sooooo much easier to go faster less bearing me up and more traction makes for more fun Just an amazing woods bike
Support your local know-it-all gear guy and give your money to Brian at https://www.atomic-moto.com/
Tachedoutoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:34 AM   #1442
fiep
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,892
just picked up a 94 XR250L
it has been sitting for years - owner can not say how long
poor thing looked pretty trashy on 1st sight,
but cleanded up it is not really bad
the usual: air filter rotted, chain slider rotted, rear tire toast, seat cover rotted ...

I have a new, aftermarket slider for an oilsump XR250R
according to Honda OEM part numbers it is the same as XR250L
yet, it does not really fit, a tad long
???

what is the best source for air filters?
need more than one

anyone have a good seat cover or a good idea how to get or make one?
I'd love to have the '250L' decal on the cover, too
help me the bike is a 94, the tank decor and the darker blue number plate stickers conform, but the seat decor looks like 91?
correct?

thanks

do you recognize this muffler?

fiep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:24 AM   #1443
gvthnks
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 533
Looks like an older Cobra exhaust to me.
96 Honda Shadow
93 Honda XR 80
87 Honda XR250r
83 Honda XR350r
73 Honda XL350
73 CB750
73 Yamaha DT-1

wife calls it a sickness. I'm running a M/C rescue
gvthnks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:01 AM   #1444
STANIMAL
SUPPORT THE SECOND

Oddometer: 2,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachedoutoffroad View Post

Suspension, suspension, suspension! Revalved, steering dampener, and new triple tree makes it sooooo much easier to go faster less bearing me up and more traction makes for more fun Just an amazing woods bike
where did you get the 300 kit ? Did you up size the carb ?
I'm ignorant, but happy---steyr_scout308
STANIMAL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:13 AM   #1445
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot

Oddometer: 2,301
Quote:

Any details on the revalve? I've read that not much can be done with the 250's cartridge, most upgrade to the 400 forks for a better starting point. Also, what's the upgraded triple all about?
cjbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:11 AM   #1446
Tachedoutoffroad
Mr. Parrish

Sorry?? Thought I was subscribed??

The story is this was one of six bikes built by a amature Honda team for Baja 1000. They raced KTMs and didn't finish and then the next year dumped $$$ into building a KTMish Honda and finished
This one never got raced, the guy just kept it and moved it around the country with him the last 10 years. The others are still down there with like a tour guideish thing of Baja.

XRsonly either did the work?? Or got most of the parts there.

I can't compare it to a stock one I can tell you that the power is super snappy, not waaammmmmm waaammmm, more like Wakawwww Wakawwww it has 93% of the torque of my 400 and just keeps on revving. It a mix between the Husky 310 and XR400.

i don't know if it is one part of the front end that does it, but my 400 and 600 just bounced around a lot and I felt like I just holding on. This feels like my Husky 310--> it stays where I put it and rolls with me (... That's what she said ) I know it weighs less, but 15lbs of the 400 is not the only difference. The 400 and 600 probably have the 1996 original fork oil .

Not sure if that helps or not

About to go ride......
Support your local know-it-all gear guy and give your money to Brian at https://www.atomic-moto.com/
Old 12-09-2012, 01:18 PM   #1447
bluebox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Well I just got back from a three day ride on my 250. I will post pictures when they become available. Everyone else were on Huskies, Burgs and WRs. The first narly hill we came to I rode past 4bikes all stuck. The xr tractored past them all. But that was about its only claim to fame. It did OK everywhere and went about it all quietly. Its quite heavy to pick up but I am out of practice. Only probs with the bike were the chain was lanced off by a branch and first up I found I had overfilled the oil. I was caught out by the dry sump. Anyway its all good. I highly recommend Coffs Harbour Detour. Awesome riding.
bluebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:10 PM   #1448
yater
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,517
Quote:

I love the xr250. Mine was set up with a Clarke tank, Baja kit, and moto billet rack. It'd do 50mph all day on gravel and backroads and climb anything I cared to try. It's a ridiculously easy bike to ride. I prefer it everywhere over the dr350 (and I've had 4 of those). It feels MUCH lighter and snappier but has that long skirted piston feel when cruising.
yater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:12 PM   #1449
bluebox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
3 day ride pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebox View Post
Well I just got back from a three day ride on my 250. I will post pictures when they become available. Everyone else were on Huskies, Burgs and WRs. The first narly hill we came to I rode past 4bikes all stuck. The xr tractored past them all. But that was about its only claim to fame. It did OK everywhere and went about it all quietly. Its quite heavy to pick up but I am out of practice. Only probs with the bike were the chain was lanced off by a branch and first up I found I had overfilled the oil. I was caught out by the dry sump. Anyway its all good. I highly recommend Coffs Harbour Detour. Awesome riding.
Photo's as promised:

bluebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:46 AM   #1450
Washpa
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
1996 xr250r

I bought a 96 XR250R last month. After sorting out the jets, putting the unbaffled stock muffler back on, removing the snorkle and most importantly replacing the shorted kill switch it is now running solid. Cleaned it up a bit and now she is ready to get dirty.

Still have some items to sort out. Subframe has a couple cracks on the cross members and three tabs are broke off of the airbox. Both are related to being flipped that also trashed the original rear fender. I also need to take another stab at adjusting the valves, ticking more than I'd like.

I have about $1050 in it as it sits now.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/91000613@N07/

Washpa screwed with this post 12-14-2012 at 09:20 AM
Washpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:07 AM   #1451
t.read
n00b

Oddometer: 9
I have a '95 that I got last year for $800. I've beat the hell out of it and it just keeps going. I don't really think it's that heavy though, if you look at the specs for it, it weighs less than a brand new CRF250 or a KTM 350. I don't have much experience with newer bikes though, so maybe they just carry the weight better. I'm used to old bikes so this thing feels like riding a Cadillac.

I'm planning on putting a dual sport kit on it(it doesn't have a tail light at the moment) and trying to get a registration for it. Apparently it's not that difficult in TN as long as the fair market value is less than $3k or it's 30+ years old.

t.read screwed with this post 12-15-2012 at 08:08 AM Reason: I suck at typing sometimes.
t.read is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 02:11 PM   #1452
Tachedoutoffroad
Mr. Parrish

Please let me know if you find out something else--- parts C1-C4 changed recently (this year?) says you can't anymore.

USED too be able to get it inspected with added mirror, horn, and brake light and you would get a real title, but doesn't seem the case anymore

Title 55 Motor and Other Vehicles
Chapter 3 Certificates of Title
Part 1 General Provisions

Tenn. Code Ann. 55-3-101 (2012)

55-3-101. Motor vehicles subject to registration and certificate of title provisions -- Exceptions -- Definition of off-highway motor vehicle.

(a) Every motor vehicle or motorized bicycle, as defined in chapter 8 of this title, and every trailer, semi-trailer, and pole trailer, when driven or moved upon a highway, and every mobile home or house trailer, when occupied, shall be subject to the registration and certificate of title provisions of chapters 1-6 of this title, except:

(1) Vehicles driven or moved upon a highway in conformance with chapters 1-6 of this title relating to manufacturers, transporters, dealers, lienholders, or nonresidents;

(2) Vehicles that are driven or moved upon a highway only for the purpose of crossing the highway from one (1) property to another;

(3) Any implement of husbandry;

(4) Any special mobile equipment;

(5) No certificate of title need be obtained for any vehicle of a type subject to registration owned by the government of the United States;

(6) No certificate of title need be obtained for a foreign vehicle that is subject to the registration provisions of this state, if the nonresident owner has a valid foreign certificate of title and certificate of registration and if the vehicle is to remain registered in the foreign state as well as in this state;

(7) Subject to the approval of the commissioner, no certificate of title need be obtained for a vehicle that is part of a proportionally registered fleet in this state if the owner has a valid certificate of title in another state and the vehicle is engaged in interstate commerce;

(8) Motorized bicycles, except when voluntarily registered under 55-4-101; and

(9) No certificate of title need be obtained or maintained where the manufactured home is affixed to real property in accordance with 55-3-138.

(b) The owner of a vehicle excepted in subsection (a) from the requirement for titling and registering may, subject to the approval of the commissioner, apply for a certificate of title without applying for its registration. The commissioner shall by regulation provide for the manner in which single applications are to be made and the conditions under which they may be allowed; however, this subsection (b) shall not be construed as granting authority to issue certificates of ownership on any basis other than upon documentation or summary of ownership as required in this chapter.

(c) (1) Notwithstanding any other law to the contrary, off-highway motor vehicles purchased after June 1, 1983, shall be subject to the certificate of title and special identification device provisions of this chapter and 55-6-101, when the off-highway motor vehicles are operated on lands, other than a highway, in this state.

(2) For the purposes of this title, an off-highway motor vehicle is a vehicle that is not driven or moved on the public highway and is limited to:

(A) Any motorcycle commonly referred to as a dirt bike;

(B) Any snowmobile or other vehicle designed to travel exclusively over snow or ice;

(C) Any motor vehicle commonly referred to as a sand buggy, dune buggy, or all terrain vehicle; or

(D) Similar types of motor vehicles designed primarily for off-highway use.

(3) The department shall issue to the owner of an off-highway motor vehicle purchased after June 1, 1983, if not registered under chapter 4 of this title, a special identification device to be affixed to the vehicle as evidence that a certificate of title has been issued for the vehicle. The device may be either a plate or a sticker, whichever is determined by the department to be the most appropriate. The device shall be nonrenewable and nontransferable and shall become invalid when the vehicle for which it was issued is sold, or the ownership of the vehicle is transferred or the vehicle is dismantled.

(4) Off-highway motor vehicles purchased prior to July 1, 1982, may also be issued a certificate of title and special identification device upon application of the owner, if evidence of ownership is properly provided to the department. Off-highway motor vehicles purchased after June 30, 1982, and prior to June 1, 1983, may be issued a special identification device upon application of the owner and presentation of the certificate of title previously issued for the vehicle.
Old 12-15-2012, 02:17 PM   #1453
Tachedoutoffroad
Mr. Parrish

Is here is a good link about being legal.... Doesn't mention about titling though

http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/...tate-Laws.aspx
Old 12-16-2012, 08:13 AM   #1454
t.read
n00b

Oddometer: 9
http://www.tn.gov/revenue/forms/titl...401Fill-in.pdf

Not that it would work in Bama, but this is what I've found. Some guys I know up here in Nashville have had some success with this for old street bikes. Haven't tried for a dirt bike though. At the very least, I'm going to try it to get a title for the bike since it didn't come with one. Try and get it tagged after that.
t.read is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:42 PM   #1455
gt_pedaler
uber newbie

Oddometer: 33
What is the best source for air filters? K+N

anyone have a good seat cover or a good idea how to get or make one?
I'd love to have the '250L' decal on the cover, too
help me the bike is a 94, the tank decor and the darker blue number plate stickers conform, but the seat decor looks like 91?
Contact: oem.replica@gmail.com he sells the seat covers on E-bay. If he has the correct logo stencil it will cost you around $45. If he doesn't have the one you want, like my 1986, he will make one for free if you give him a stencil that he doesn't have.[/QUOTE]
gt_pedaler is offline   Reply With Quote