User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2011, 09:59 PM   #1
L-ucky-S-ix OP
Dadgum'd

Oddometer: 360
KLR rear sprocket bolts contacting swingarm

Kind of interesting to me. If I were to spin the wheel right now with a brand new swingarm the bolts would not contact it. I just bought the bike for cheap from a friend and he truthfully may not have known. He has owned this bike for the last 10 years maybe. But it has only moved 150mi... maybe. It's a 1990 with 7150mi on it.
What is the problem here? The bolt picture is not as shiney for the flash lit it up.
L-ucky-S-ix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 10:01 PM   #2
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,660
The bolts are inside out.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 10:13 PM   #3
L-ucky-S-ix OP
Dadgum'd

Quote:
The bolts are inside out.
Whoa buddy!

Quoted for clearly attempting to patronize.

L-ucky-S-ix screwed with this post 08-14-2011 at 10:23 PM
Old 08-14-2011, 10:21 PM   #4
L-ucky-S-ix OP
Dadgum'd

Would you say that about the 2001 KLR 2 ft from it?

Looks like the main axle is not oriented in the same fashion.
The Clymer shows the KLR on the cover with castle nut on caliper side whereas the schematic in the description of the rear wheel removal section shows the sprocket side.

L-ucky-S-ix screwed with this post 08-14-2011 at 10:56 PM
Old 08-14-2011, 11:07 PM   #5
BobsYourUncle
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by L-ucky-S-ix View Post

Kind of interesting to me. If I were to spin the wheel right now with a brand new swingarm the bolts would not contact it. I just bought the bike for cheap from a friend and he truthfully may not have known. He has owned this bike for the last 10 years maybe. But it has only moved 150mi... maybe. It's a 1990 with 7150mi on it.
What is the problem here? The bolt picture is not as shiney for the flash lit it up.
I think it may be missing a spacer.
BobsYourUncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 11:49 PM   #6
chinkymo
Beast Rider

Oddometer: 72
Is it possible that a missing spacer could have been compensated for by tightening the axle bolt enough to bend the swingarm in?
chinkymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 12:01 AM   #7
L-ucky-S-ix OP
Dadgum'd

I believe it was not overtightening but rather the forgotten spacer that surfaced. That would be until the problem was noticed, probably in the form of rear thrust angle pushing the bike in a scary manner and after a realization or connection was made to the sound, noise, or sudden sluggishness at low speed. And then the problem was "fixed."
I need to contact the "friend" who witheld this bit of information.
Old 08-15-2011, 02:59 AM   #8
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,573
the bolts are OK. missing the spacer. be aware that there are TWO on the drive side.... the other one is in the cush drive. get the wheel off & the cush drive pulls straight out.. the 2nd spacer fits between the two bearings.

item 42036

Beezer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 07:08 AM   #9
DirtyDog
Lust for dust.

Oddometer: 7,728
Yeah... one rule of thumb- pay attention to the tightening of your castle nut. Not the actual count of threads, but rather, the orientation of the cotter pin hole in relation to the slots in the castle nut. You can see from the pic that the nut is over-tightened and the cotter pin is nearly outside the slot.

This little tidbit allowed me to notice that my wheel bearings were failing on my TAT trip this summer.

Also- looks like the chain could use some maintenance.
-DustyRags
DirtyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 07:26 AM   #10
tofire409
Geared up and ready.

Oddometer: 654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer View Post
the bolts are OK. missing the spacer. be aware that there are TWO on the drive side.... the other one is in the cush drive. get the wheel off & the cush drive pulls straight out.. the 2nd spacer fits between the two bearings.

item 42036

Possibly missing 92143B as well!!
tofire409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 10:11 AM   #11
L-ucky-S-ix OP
Dadgum'd

Thanks for all of the insight.
I was confused as to how this could happen in in its current configuration. I will be getting the wheel off soon and I will report back with what I find. Always good to see answers and to have a searchable topic.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:21 AM   #12
guns_equal_freedom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,493
The swing arm is trashed.

I would not ride it until I either had it welded with a brace or else replaced it.
guns_equal_freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 12:13 PM   #13
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,573
92143B is the part that was missing that caused the nuts to grind the swing arm. The fact that the cotter pin/slot looks funny (as noted by Dirty Dog) is a strong indication the the spacer in the cush drive is missing..... thats why the nut goes so far down the axle threads (and the axle can go in from either side... I put mine in from the brakes side, easier to align the caliper, etc.).

the inner bushing is easy to lose when the wheel is off, like during tire changes.... how do I know these things.
Beezer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 02:46 PM   #14
DirtyDog
Lust for dust.

Oddometer: 7,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer View Post
92143B is the part that was missing that caused the nuts to grind the swing arm. The fact that the cotter pin/slot looks funny (as noted by Dirty Dog) is a strong indication the the spacer in the cush drive is missing..... thats why the nut goes so far down the axle threads (and the axle can go in from either side... I put mine in from the brakes side, easier to align the caliper, etc.).

the inner bushing is easy to lose when the wheel is off, like during tire changes.... how do I know these things.
You know, I cuss and grit my teeth every time it won't line up properly, but I've never once considered putting the axle in from the opposite side.

-DustyRags
DirtyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 01:41 PM   #15
L-ucky-S-ix OP
Dadgum'd

I don't have a motorcycle lift so I have decided to make my own out of an old jack. Progress has been delayed. Pay day is Friday, so if you are paying attention to the thread you will have to wait for a few days.
Pictures of all will be included.