User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2009, 04:11 PM   #61
Olas OP
the darkness

Oddometer: 3,941
Getting closer....

Found a stud at the hardware store for $2.74. It was too easy. I tried to start the bike today but was not successful. The manual calls for 1.7 qts. of oil after a full rebuild but I read post by a few different people that you actually need 2 qts to be right on the full mark of the dip stick. I dumped one quart in through the filler and the other through the valve inspection hole. I kicked the bike a bunch of times with out the spark plug in to hopefully get some oil flowing but i'm not sure if that actually worked because when I pulled the dipstick it was clearly overfilled down there - oil started to come out. So I think tomorrow i'll drain 1 qt., try to start it and if it does i'll let it run for a minute, shut it down and then refill with oil to the proper level.

Fingers crossed!

Olas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 07:54 PM   #62
oregoncoast
Racing Like a Noob

Oddometer: 4,427
I hope you get this running soon. I just spent four hours tearing up some local single track on my old 87. Once again, just a pleasure to ride. I have ridden faster dirt bikes for sure, a sick Husky 510 comes to mind, but My ADV friend Luke reminded me that when he was riding that faster Husky, and I was on his XR 400, I was riding way faster, just because I was used to the power. I ride my XR250 faster than I would a faster KTM 450 on the tight stuff, just because it is such a useable powerband. I don't know why I am rambling here about this.. WTF do you guys care about this..

I guess after I climbed some sick hills today....I was just amazed at the smiles per gallon this old pos brings me.

I hope you have the same experience when you get yours running.

Off topic, but wanting some better forks up front, anyone know if a newer XR400 fork or triple will simply bolt up on these old bikes? Or maybe an old CR fork??? Thanks.
oregoncoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 10:15 PM   #63
Olas OP
the darkness

Yeah, OC, I can't wait to get this thing out on some single track...loads of fun, I can already see it.

I don't know about the fork upgrade but I am going to be experimenting with installing a 1997 XR400 rear shock on my 250. Hoping it's not too much of a hassle because the XR4 shock I have is in really good condition while my 250 shock feels like poop.
Old 07-17-2009, 08:17 AM   #64
oregoncoast
Racing Like a Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olas Altas
Yeah, OC, I can't wait to get this thing out on some single track...loads of fun, I can already see it.

I don't know about the fork upgrade but I am going to be experimenting with installing a 1997 XR400 rear shock on my 250. Hoping it's not too much of a hassle because the XR4 shock I have is in really good condition while my 250 shock feels like poop.
I've had the rear rebuilt twice in the last 14 years.

I did find a place where I can buy stiffer springs (racetech.com) and with the bigger desert tank I have on mine, I really need them. I currently have progressive springs from XR only and they were probably fine until I added the extra weight and started driving more aggressively.

I'm curious to see if that 400 shock will work
Old 07-20-2009, 02:51 PM   #65
Olas OP
the darkness

She runs!!

Got her started yesterday with a slight push from my buddy and the aid of a hill. Rode her around for only about 2 miles because the front wheel is a tad bit wobbly - the trip meter mechanical sender unit is missing...

It ran and it idled so I am happy for now. The project is not finished but this will motivate me to take care of all the other little things this bike needs.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:41 PM   #66
oregoncoast
Racing Like a Noob

Old 07-21-2009, 04:26 PM   #67
Olas OP
the darkness

Just playing the waiting game now...

Waiting on some parts before I can ride this beast some more. I ordered a UNI crankcase filter to replace the stock crank vent tubes. I'm also waiting on a speedo drive replacement unit from XR's only. Once I have these two things I should be able to go on a good test ride, change the oil and then ride it more.

I've got the carb off the bike right now and am going to be replacing the jets - after 20 years of service I believe they should be retired. Anyway, not much else to report besides:

Old 07-21-2009, 06:22 PM   #68
oregoncoast
Racing Like a Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olas Altas
Waiting on some parts before I can ride this beast some more. I ordered a UNI crankcase filter to replace the stock crank vent tubes. I'm also waiting on a speedo drive replacement unit from XR's only. Once I have these two things I should be able to go on a good test ride, change the oil and then ride it more.

I've got the carb off the bike right now and am going to be replacing the jets - after 20 years of service I believe they should be retired. Anyway, not much else to report besides:

I bought a carb rebuilt kit from these guys and it worked great.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HONDA...ht_1446wt_1440

If your interested.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:20 PM   #69
Olas OP
the darkness

Mayden voyage this weekend, stay tuned!!

I'll be taking the XR out this Sunday for its first actual test run on some trails... Hoping it goes well. I got it started first kick today when it was cold. That's a good sign. Starts up first kick every time when it's warmed up. I have the stock gearing right now which is 13/48. First gear is pretty much useless on the street. I've ordered a 14 for the front but won't have that till Monday at the latest. That should improve things a bit.

I'm going to go to the bicycle store tomorrow to see if I can find a small speedo/trip meter. I will definitely be needing that to complete the street legality of the bike + it's nice to know how fast you are going on the street.

I've bought so many spare parts for this bike that I pretty much have everything I need to build another spare motor. All I need is a cylinder head. I have a bottom end, cylinder, piston, valve cover, rockers, etc... Good insurance in case something happens to the lil' bike!

I'll report back after the ride on Sunday.

Old 08-03-2009, 04:24 PM   #70
Olas OP
the darkness

Backtracking a little....

There were a few surprises with this bike after I started diggin into it. Since I now have access to my actual camera and pics I took a while back I figured I show you guys some of the surprises...

First one was this:

Huge dent on the frame rail. Not too big of a deal but it's still kind of a bummer. I have a Utah plate to prevent this from happening anymore.

Second one was this:

One of the kickstart gear teeth broke off and got jammed in between the gear and the case... Maybe this had something to do with why the bike was dissasembled in the first place??

Anyway... All is good now. I have loads of spare parts and the bike is running great. I'm planning to go on a lil' ride this weekend and i'll try to snap some pics.

Old 08-03-2009, 05:36 PM   #71
oregoncoast
Racing Like a Noob

I've had my '87 since '95 and have never seen the inside of the engine. Oh I see some oil weeping here and there..never runs low though. I'd be afraid to see what parts-n-pieces are floating around in my cases
Old 08-05-2009, 05:52 AM   #72
AKLEW
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
This thread makes me wish I had kept my '91 XR250L. I put a lot of time and money into it and then sold it. It was just this spring, I was taking my 250 out for its first trail ride after the rebuild too...good times. Oh well, I hope you enjoy the bike. Good luck!
AKLEW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 06:36 PM   #73
Olas OP
the darkness

First real ride update...

The bike's been coming along nicely. I finally took it on its first ride to Rampart this past weekend and did a couple of days of riding + one night of camping with my girlfriend. I rode from my house to the trail head which is roughly 19 miles one way. With 14/48 gearing I could ride up to 55mph (it's as fast as I needed to go). Even at that speed it felt a bit stressed but not too bad. I'm not sure of the RPMs i'm running since I don't have a tach so if someone has a clue please let me know!

I did 40 miles of street riding there and back and about 60 miles of trails and dirt roads. Over 100 miles over the weekend for the little 250 and she gave me zero issues. The most fun I had with it was climbing the steep rocky hills that would have scared me silly with my big Husky 610. Lots of low end torque and plenty of fun with this little bike. I'm so glad it's street legal too because I was able to connect trails all day long without worrying about the man. I even had a cop behind me while I was on the street on the way back home and nothing came of it. Sweet.

I'll leave you guys with some pictures from this past weekend...

Nice view of the surrounding area from here.

I always wanted to check out this mine but never did before...From the top:

This trail was fun and a lil technical but nothing the XR couldnt handle, a little creek ran through part of it here:

View from the top of a rock:

Base camp:

It doesn't get any better than that.

Thanks for the help, all!
Old 08-11-2009, 10:01 PM   #74
oregoncoast
Racing Like a Noob

Looks great!
Old 08-11-2009, 10:43 PM   #75
Slyder
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Nice work! It's been fun watching this thread progress - hopefully it keeps going.

I noticed that your TE610 is for sale; out of curiosity, was the decision to sell related to your new-found liking of your XR250?

- Chris
Slyder is offline   Reply With Quote