User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2015, 01:27 PM   #1
Kidder OP
Poser

Oddometer: 514
Minimum Octane Requirement - 2015 Versys 650

Can any owners of the new 15 Versys 650 tell me the minimum octane requirement? Someone was speculating on another forum that it will require minimum 91. So, anyone with a new ABS out there care to share, please?
Old 02-22-2015, 01:35 PM   #2
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,644
Try aking here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1021659
Old 02-22-2015, 01:46 PM   #3
Kidder OP
Poser

Oddometer: 514
Never mind. Found the manual here: http://www.kawasaki-techinfo.net/sho...8&lang_code=EN

87 is minimum
Old 02-23-2015, 05:05 PM   #4
dddd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 475
little note on the kawa twin engine: put 87 for sure, not 89 nor 91 and avoid ethanol.

Why?

Because of possible vapor lock....

What!? on a fuel injection?

Yes. It happened to me in Utah.

If you ride slow and/or in high temps like 100F+, the poor venting of the fuel line behind the head can cause it to get really warm, to the boiling point.

octane and ethanol both have higher vapor pressure, thus boil at lower temperature. That time I gad 87+ethanol which was in fact 89+ethanol (different rating method).

To workaround the problem, stay off the highway to keep rpm low in 6th gear, like 45mph, in the wind; DON'T try to cool by stopping on side of road unless it is over an hour and in the shade, otherwise the engine heat will transfer even more to the EFI distribution line. Circulating cool gas is better. Perhaps refilling more often can help mix cooler gas from underground.

Another trick (perhaps the only trivial one) is to turn ignition off, then back on: this will prime the fuel line pressure and may clear vapor bubbles for a little while.

I will get the fuel pump checked however (100'000km), the embedded fuel filter may be dirty or the pump worn and lowering the pressure in the line. Also check the gas cap to ensure it can take air from the one-way valve (could build vacuum otherwise which would fight the pump). Keep radiator clean too, to ensure better cooling. Anything that helps...

If this ever happens again, I will try to wrap my black tank with a wet white cloth, to cool the gas... If I have running water, maybe soak the engine a bit... but I fear cracking the engine...

Anyhow, hope these tips can help.
dddd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 09:15 PM   #5
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by dddd View Post
little note on the kawa twin engine: put 87 for sure, not 89 nor 91 and avoid ethanol.

Why?

Because of possible vapor lock....

What!? on a fuel injection?

Yes. It happened to me in Utah.

If you ride slow and/or in high temps like 100F+, the poor venting of the fuel line behind the head can cause it to get really warm, to the boiling point.

octane and ethanol both have higher vapor pressure, thus boil at lower temperature. That time I gad 87+ethanol which was in fact 89+ethanol (different rating method).

To workaround the problem, stay off the highway to keep rpm low in 6th gear, like 45mph, in the wind; DON'T try to cool by stopping on side of road unless it is over an hour and in the shade, otherwise the engine heat will transfer even more to the EFI distribution line. Circulating cool gas is better. Perhaps refilling more often can help mix cooler gas from underground.

Another trick (perhaps the only trivial one) is to turn ignition off, then back on: this will prime the fuel line pressure and may clear vapor bubbles for a little while.

I will get the fuel pump checked however (100'000km), the embedded fuel filter may be dirty or the pump worn and lowering the pressure in the line. Also check the gas cap to ensure it can take air from the one-way valve (could build vacuum otherwise which would fight the pump). Keep radiator clean too, to ensure better cooling. Anything that helps...

If this ever happens again, I will try to wrap my black tank with a wet white cloth, to cool the gas... If I have running water, maybe soak the engine a bit... but I fear cracking the engine...

Anyhow, hope these tips can help.
Those are the symptoms of a faulty fuel pump (due to a manufacturing error). Octane dosen't work the way that you think it does. Octane boosters have nearly 0 effect on the boiling point of gasoline because they are a very small part of total volume of fuel.
Old 02-23-2015, 09:43 PM   #6
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,795
it runs on water, no worries!
Old 02-24-2015, 04:07 PM   #7
dddd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by k-moe View Post
Those are the symptoms of a faulty fuel pump (due to a manufacturing error). Octane dosen't work the way that you think it does. Octane boosters have nearly 0 effect on the boiling point of gasoline because they are a very small part of total volume of fuel.
Nearly 0, not 0. But yes, mathematically, octane has less effect on boiling point than 10% ethanol, which was my point. Rest assured that I know the distinction between vapor pressure (boiling) and ignition (combustion), if that was your concern.

All right, to the garage! (but I don't think this was a manufacturing error... it expect wear and filter clogging).
dddd is offline   Reply With Quote