Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2012, 11:38 AM   #1501
MapMaster
Human Compass

Oddometer: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achtung View Post
Yes thanks. Do you send the shock out for rebuild, if so where to?
Yes. I sent the OEM shock to Lindemann Engineering (run by Ed Sorbo now, sadly cancer took Jim last year).
The initial rebuild involved adding a N2 charging valve. Cost with return shipping was $280. I have a Fox shock that I could've had rebuilt, but I wanted the ease of the OEM's preload adjustment. I've only had a couple of short rides, but initial impressions are very good.

http://www.le-suspension.com/shock-services/
Race Tech offers similar services.
MapMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:34 AM   #1502
ag_streak
Tiene Ruta Cuarenta?

Oddometer: 3,176

Just traded my 2011 Versys to inmate Fireman1000 for this 2007 RWB Anniversary Edition!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...2&postcount=50

I previously had a 1998. It was wrecked when a 70 year old guy and his wife on a BMW K1200LT hit me at 10 - 15 mph in Knoxville when I was attending the Honda Hoot. I've had many bikes since then but always missed the silky smooth competence of the Viffer!

Improve your cosmic karma here!
ag_streak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 01:26 PM   #1503
Achtung
Wicked Pisssah Adventurer

Oddometer: 935
Congrats, that is the best best looking VFR ever!

Achtung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:07 PM   #1504
ErikY.
Here, Now.

Oddometer: 2,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by ag_streak View Post

Just traded my 2011 Versys to inmate Fireman1000 for this 2007 RWB Anniversary Edition!
l
Really nice bike!
Cheers
ErikY. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:12 PM   #1505
30Bones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,636
I am on my 2nd VFR. First was a beat up from the feet up 94 (gallery here)and current one is a near perfectly set up '02 w/35K miles. I am looking for a deal on some Heli bars to replace the Genmar spacer.

30Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 04:18 AM   #1506
vennom
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Thought I would show my old bike a bit.
A 2001 I bought when I lived in Switzerland last year. I had it for the entire time I was "in country" and I rode the hell out of it all over central Europe. I lived 40 minutes away from some of the greatest mountain passes (Grimsel, Furka, Neufen) a dream.
I took a long weekend and flew up the Nurburgring, in what had to be the coldest and wettest ride of my life. The top speed on the autobahn was about 150 indicated with a big duffel bungeed on the tail!!

Many great rides, sold it when I left. Wish I never left the country and that I never sold the bike(
vennom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 08:47 PM   #1507
RocketJohn
Hook em' Horns!

Oddometer: 11,330
Yesterday ran a canyon on my '98 VFR800 trying' out my new GoPro Hero HD...

RocketJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 08:57 PM   #1508
MapMaster
Human Compass

VFR Ride - COTU 2012 - Eastern Edition, Elkins, WV

Details of this year's COTU (Center of the Universe) weekend gather from May 18-20 are linked here:

"COTU 2012"

Riding a VFR is NOT a requirement - unless you want to have the best ride possible.
Old 03-16-2012, 07:09 AM   #1509
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 11,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketJohn View Post
Yesterday ran a canyon on my '98 VFR800 trying' out my new GoPro Hero HD...

Nice vid, good quality and sound. Bike sounds great, what exhaust are you running?

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:28 AM   #1510
30Bones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by MapMaster View Post
Details of this year's COTU (Center of the Universe) weekend gather from May 18-20 are linked here:

"COTU 2012"

Riding a VFR is NOT a requirement - unless you want to have the best ride possible.
Hmmmm, I was going to do a trip around the great lakes, but this sounds like a good time and I like "loosely" planned bike gatherings.
30Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:48 AM   #1511
Lil' Steve
PussyWagon™ Chauffer

Oddometer: 3,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30Bones View Post
Hmmmm, I was going to do a trip around the great lakes, but this sounds like a good time and I like "loosely" planned bike gatherings.

You cant go wrong with this one, great riding in that area. I've attended many of these events and always came away with great memories and new friends. Sadly, that weekend conflicts with a charity dual sport ride I'm doing in MA so I wont be able to make it.
Lil' Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 06:30 PM   #1512
RocketJohn
Hook em' Horns!

Oddometer: 11,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post
Nice vid, good quality and sound. Bike sounds great, what exhaust are you running?
using a very low cost Danmoto brand, JISU model, chinese made can... $140 to my door if I recall...

check out my other videos or earlier posts in this thread for pics.
RocketJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 05:10 PM   #1513
bobfab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,344
Soon to be an owner of a red 6th Gen, i have my bike-hunter looking for a red one! After trying many bikes and waivering on what to buy, my mind is made up and the order was placed for a 6th gen VFR

So if anyone knows of a good 6th gen Red one for sale, PM me!

bobfab screwed with this post 03-20-2012 at 12:02 PM
bobfab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:28 PM   #1514
jcarlson9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
07 vfr

i just have to ask.....are vfrs boring ?,ive never ridden one, but they seem to be silky smooth.ill just be riding on the congested freeway to work and on occasion a twisy back road.hows the power,thanks
jcarlson9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 11:11 PM   #1515
MapMaster
Human Compass

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlson9 View Post
i just have to ask.....are vfrs boring ?,ive never ridden one, but they seem to be silky smooth.ill just be riding on the congested freeway to work and on occasion a twisy back road.hows the power,thanks
Boring? - not hardly!
When they were regularly being given 10 best awards by the m/c press, a common complaint was that they lacked "character" , but in addition to being a subjective opinion of a very undefined trait, it was a charge leveled against other Hondas.
I think it was a way of checking off the "you have to pick at least one nit" box, cause there weren't any others to find.

No disrespect to the VTEC crowd, but when that version was introduced in 02, there were some valid criticisms to make against the bike and it fell out of favor with the press. The bike was still an excellent all round mount and it didn't get worse in any aspect of riding, but it fell further behind the pack in comparative power output, and the complexity of the VTEC did not return any real benefit to offset the loss of the gear-driven cams.

The latest iteration is a nice machine as well and a way of continuing some of the VFR legacy, but it's an entirely different kind of bike in regards to target audience imo.

The 750s and 800's were not the strongest engines by any means, but more than enough power for all conditions excepting maybe extended two-up touring. The advantage of a relatively lightly stressed engine is that they last forever. The VFR1200 does not suffer ANY deficiency in this department (there are still more beastly bikes out there, but if you can't get the job done with 160 hp, your problem is not with the bike. )

I've now pissed several VTEC owners in spite of what I hoped to be an honest appraisal and VFR 500 and 1000 owners are mad cause I've ignored them - but since I don't know what I'm talking about in regards to those versions, I'll put my blinders on and assume you're only interested in the 750-800 versions.