User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2012, 04:30 AM   #1891
ninepeaks9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Got one in July

Found 2002 VFR800 in immaculate shape in PA and brought her home. Italian red with 11K miles. Sounds awesome with Two Bros mufflers! Had a 5th Gen '98 VFR800 few year ago that I had sold. Big difference I would say is in handling department. This will be my go to bike for day trips. Longer trips are reserved for 12RT.
ninepeaks9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 06:08 AM   #1892
swedishfishy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
http://baltimore.craigslist.org/mcy/3234625139.html

any thoughts on that bad boy? I have an 07 sv650n and am looking for an upgrade for touring duties. I'm 6'3" ~180 lbs. The sv650n is just a little too small for me for any touring duties (but fun around town)
swedishfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 06:14 AM   #1893
Storm Shadow
Thread Ninja

Oddometer: 1,469
i think i might put my topbox back on my vfr, the givi rack, has thse two annoying brackets that go from the base of the plate, to the grab handles, somebody told me, that these arnt required, can anybody confirm that for me?
Storm Shadow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:19 AM   #1894
CaveJohnson
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Add hurricane escape vehicle to the list of uses for the VFR; left my '98 in New Orleans when I moved at the end of last month, got the last flight in Monday night to get it, and rode out bright and early Tuesday straight into Isaac's opening salvo. Highlights of the first day included nearly getting blown off the I-10 bridge over Lake Ponchartrain and encountering rain so bad I couldn't see and was getting hit by waves from the standing water in the road whenever a car passed, but I managed to make it all the way to Tupelo that night and was rewarded with perfect weather yesterday when I rode the rest of the way to Nashville up the Natchez Trace. You can't kill these bikes!
CaveJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:38 AM   #1895
AllBlackPearl
Alpoholic

Oddometer: 719
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaveJohnson View Post
Add hurricane escape vehicle to the list of uses for the VFR; left my '98 in New Orleans when I moved at the end of last month, got the last flight in Monday night to get it, and rode out bright and early Tuesday straight into Isaac's opening salvo. Highlights of the first day included nearly getting blown off the I-10 bridge over Lake Ponchartrain and encountering rain so bad I couldn't see and was getting hit by waves from the standing water in the road whenever a car passed, but I managed to make it all the way to Tupelo that night and was rewarded with perfect weather yesterday when I rode the rest of the way to Nashville up the Natchez Trace. You can't kill these bikes!
Well in this particular case I'd say you can't kill the rider!
Good on you!
The viffer won't mind some wind and water. Even if it's more than "some".
Glad you and her made it out and back safely!

AllBlackPearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 03:14 PM   #1896
Pinas_guy
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Hi,

Iím just wondering if any of you have done similar?

Iíve always wanting just add a little more torque and HP on the viffer (01 model). I felt Iím running to high of an RPM while cruising. Since my financial status are always in the budget, I try to make the most of what I have.

The bike has 14K miles to date, I decided to check the air filter and see it if need a new one? Well first thing I notice after opening the lid, only half of the filter was dirty, mainly the front two cylinder. The two back end are fairly clean. This make me think that the two rear cylinder are not getting much air even if I removed the baffle I felt it will not help much at all.

So went and did some experiment to see how the bike will respond without the top lid of the air box. So proceed to removed the top lid and plug the vacuum from the flapper and duct tape the filter temporarily just to hold it in place and went for a test ride, first of all the sound or a roaring V4 intake open up just make your shiver, wow..! So went ahead for test ride and man what a difference on overall power. Now the bike can cruise at 5th gear at around 4500 RPM and I can roll the throttle and the bike would response quite nicely. This is with my old dirty air cleaner still. After a few days of usage with my new found power I went ahead and cut off the top lid of the air box retaining only the part that holds the air filter, the entire top side of the air box is now exposed. I went ahead and ordered the BMC air filter. I canít wait for it to arrive. Engine temp are running normal, I have not notice any abnormal behavior except more power. Only if I can afford a Power Commander module I might be able to squeeze more juice. The bike pull hard all the way to the rev limiter before it would flat out.

XR
Pinas_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 09:57 AM   #1897
CaveJohnson
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllBlackPearl View Post
Well in this particular case I'd say you can't kill the rider!
Good on you!
The viffer won't mind some wind and water. Even if it's more than "some".
Glad you and her made it out and back safely!
Well, I guess I'd be remiss if I gave all the credit to the bike...:P

It was definitely one of the hardest things I've ever done, and I had more than a few moments where I wondered if I was certifiably insane for trying to make the ride, in between cursing the weather and everyone else on the road. I guess it's not a real bike trip unless you come back with some crazy stories and near-death experiences, though. Wednesday's riding through the mountains was a lovely reward for toughing it out.
CaveJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 11:38 AM   #1898
jcarlson9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
still not sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlson9 View Post
well i put wy vfr up for sale,in flea market,in so cal,
still for sale,people are wanting super good deals only,i cant give it away !
jcarlson9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 03:42 AM   #1899
Sandman 950

Oddometer: 191
I bought one a few months ago and have finally put together a little video of it's first tour from one end of the UK to the other in 16h 30min, 880 miles worth of video and pictures in a 4 minute song, hopefully you'll enjoy it, it's just what the VFR was made for...but then you lot know that already don't you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqLQN...kU-zDWqax7wu0A
Sandman 950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 05:15 AM   #1900
AllBlackPearl
Alpoholic

Oddometer: 719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman 950 View Post
I bought one a few months ago and have finally put together a little video of it's first tour from one end of the UK to the other in 16h 30min, 880 miles worth of video and pictures in a 4 minute song, hopefully you'll enjoy it, it's just what the VFR was made for...but then you lot know that already don't you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqLQN...kU-zDWqax7wu0A
Wonderful video, mate!!

AllBlackPearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 04:42 AM   #1901
Storm Shadow
Thread Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Shadow View Post
i think i might put my topbox back on my vfr, the givi rack, has thse two annoying brackets that go from the base of the plate, to the grab handles, somebody told me, that these arnt required, can anybody confirm that for me?
Nobody knows if i have to have these brackets?

Old 09-02-2012, 06:52 AM   #1902
DFH
270 deg crank

Oddometer: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Shadow View Post
Why would Givi manufacture & supply two extra brackets that were not needed, to the detriment of their profit?

Was the somebody who told you on the engineering staff at Givi? If not, why do you think he knows more than Givi about the need for these brackets? Does he offer a warrantee against fatigue failure of the remaining Givi brackets (or the subframe of your bike) if you follow his advice?
Old 09-02-2012, 11:12 AM   #1903
stoops
let's ride

Oddometer: 19
When I was in the market for side racks I didn't get the givi just because it said the topcase rack was required for the sidecase rack to be mounted

I only wanted the side-case racks. Was always curious if I could make it work anyway without the top rack. I say just take off the top racks and see what it leaves. See if there's enough support or if there's just a small piece you could get fabbed to make it work.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:42 AM   #1904
Gfacter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Bought mine new in 2002, this pic was taken in late June almost 10 years to the day,

Gfacter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 03:22 PM   #1905
Storm Shadow
Thread Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFH View Post
Why would Givi manufacture & supply two extra brackets that were not needed, to the detriment of their profit?

Was the somebody who told you on the engineering staff at Givi? If not, why do you think he knows more than Givi about the need for these brackets? Does he offer a warrantee against fatigue failure of the remaining Givi brackets (or the subframe of your bike) if you follow his advice?
well, i was told that they all didnt come with the extra brackets, but these were something that came out later, perhaps due to some fatigue failure or overloaded topbox syndrome, perhaps for bigger top box's etc. even though i have a big one, with these brackets on, i cant reallly take my seat off.