Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2013, 09:58 PM   #2611
seantx
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 625
It looks like the sum of a night of passion between a 5th and 6th gen. (5th gen was pitching of course.)

Specs are close to a 6th gen VTEC motor, more rounded fairings - closer to 5th gen, low mount conventional exhaust, etc. 6 gallon tank is pretty sweet.

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/2013/...nd-more-power/

seantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 07:31 AM   #2612
Creeker747
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by seantx View Post
It looks like the sum of a night of passion between a 5th and 6th gen. (5th gen was pitching of course.)

Specs are close to a 6th gen VTEC motor, more rounded fairings - closer to 5th gen, low mount conventional exhaust, etc. 6 gallon tank is pretty sweet.
*Claimed wet weight (fully fueled) is now down to 525 pounds. *Peak horsepower is 106 - call me crazy, doesn't my 6th Gen weight 481 w/ 110 hp?
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!"
Creeker747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 07:57 AM   #2613
seantx
Studly Adventurer

Maybe that didn't come out right. I wasn't quibbling numbers, just stating that the diff between this and a 6th is REALLY close. Considering the first VTEC powered VFRs came out 12 model years ago, Honda doesn't seem to be following the trend of "lighter, more power, better components" here. In fact, obviously, an 02 looks better on paper than this thing.

Then again, the VFR12 was a tech showcase and it was poo-poo'd for being an expensive fat ass with a thimble sized tank.

What to do?

How about tweaking the current VTEC plant for max mid-range, updated chassis and swingarm, brakes and suspension components suited for a "sporty-sport-tourer", modern electronics package, etc. Keep the weight in check and provide for optional hard luggage. Also, find a really good design artist to come up with bodywork that looks modern but with a nod toward the best elements of previous VFRs. AND NO INSECT LOOKING HEADLIGHTS.
Old 11-08-2013, 08:50 AM   #2614
Creeker747
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Maybe that didn't come out right. I wasn't quibbling numbers, just stating that the diff between this and a 6th is REALLY close. Considering the first VTEC powered VFRs came out 12 model years ago, Honda doesn't seem to be following the trend of "lighter, more power, better components" here. In fact, obviously, an 02 looks better on paper than this thing.

Then again, the VFR12 was a tech showcase and it was poo-poo'd for being an expensive fat ass with a thimble sized tank.

What to do?

How about tweaking the current VTEC plant for max mid-range, updated chassis and swingarm, brakes and suspension components suited for a "sporty-sport-tourer", modern electronics package, etc. Keep the weight in check and provide for optional hard luggage. Also, find a really good design artist to come up with bodywork that looks modern but with a nod toward the best elements of previous VFRs. AND NO INSECT LOOKING HEADLIGHTS.
Dude! You need to work for Honda. +1
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!"
Old 11-08-2013, 09:49 AM   #2615
MapMaster
Human Compass

Oddometer: 845
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creeker747 View Post
*Claimed wet weight (fully fueled) is now down to 525 pounds. *Peak horsepower is 106 - call me crazy, doesn't my 6th Gen weight 481 w/ 110 hp?
Yo Crazy
I don't recall the hp numbers or know if either figure is a crank or rear wheel measurement, but the curb weight of a 6th gen w/o abs and no luggage is 540+ (I want to say 542 was the measurement)
For comparison, 98 5th gens are 515# and 4th gens are 525#.
The 481 weight you cite is either a 'dry weight' (which is a nebulous concept at best and outright lie normally) or the result of beer goggles.

Cheers
MapMaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:54 AM   #2616
MapMaster
Human Compass

Oddometer: 845
Quote:

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/2013/...nd-more-power/

I really like the looks of this. The power level would suit my needs and while I would much prefer something at least 50# lighter, I could live with the weight. The big drawback is still the major PITA that maintenance on the VTEC is.
MapMaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 10:12 AM   #2617
Jason F.
Will Ride for Beer...

Oddometer: 341
Bring back the gear driven cam 800cc 5th gen motor. Tune it up a bit.
Bring back the under seat tucked exhaust of the 6th gen.
Keep those lovely wheels of the '14 above.
Keep the adjustable seat height and other adjustable ergo items of the '14.
Keep the gear indicator and heated grips of the '14
Keep the proposed factory hardbag option.
Bring it to the U.S.

I like the look of the bike other than the exhaust. I like the proposed weight loss over previous generations. I do not need much more power, really I do not "need" any more power at all over my 5th gen.

If the above was available I would buy it. Until then I will keep my 5th gen with its not all that well integrated (fat ass) Givi bags.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:15 AM   #2618
SnappNBrrap
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creeker747 View Post
the 525 is a wet weight versus the 481lb dry weight. also the peak power is not the focus of this new model. its supposed to have more low and midrange. peak power usually only comes at the top of the RPMs anyway, so its not really useable power.

as a member of the pipe under the seat club, im looking forward to this not having an undertail style exhaust. yeah they look cool, but are heavy (why honda ditched it) and if you wanna go aftermarket, it costs 2x as much. Ive loved viffers since day 1, if this was making its way to the states id be buying one in black more than likely.

09 Yamaha FZ6 in Faster Blue
SnappNBrrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 10:32 AM   #2619
seantx
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason F. View Post
Bring it to the U.S.

I like the look of the bike other than the exhaust. I like the proposed weight loss over previous generations. I do not need much more power, really I do not "need" any more power at all over my 5th gen.

If the above was available I would buy it. Until then I will keep my 5th gen with its not all that well integrated (fat ass) Givi bags.
Nice. And I noticed those wheels too.

Don't get the "I don't need more power" mantra. It's like complaining about a girl that makes too much money, cooks to well and won't get her face out of your lap.
Old 11-08-2013, 11:42 AM   #2620
Creeker747
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapMaster View Post
Yo Crazy
I don't recall the hp numbers or know if either figure is a crank or rear wheel measurement, but the curb weight of a 6th gen w/o abs and no luggage is 540+ (I want to say 542 was the measurement)
For comparison, 98 5th gens are 515# and 4th gens are 525#.
The 481 weight you cite is either a 'dry weight' (which is a nebulous concept at best and outright lie normally) or the result of beer goggles.

Cheers
I saw it on the internet it has to be true!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_VFR800
Old 11-08-2013, 12:38 PM   #2621
dmac57
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,838
Quote:
I'd settle for my '98 back.

Quote:
It is!
Quote:
What to do?
Don't build an expensive fat ass with a thimble sized tank!

Quote:
Well, I'd certainly agree with that approach. I think Honda's conundrum is that they seem to have built the VFR because they wanted to, not because it was a huge seller. They got off the rails from time to time, especially (IMO) with the VFR12. But if they can bring this generation of the 800 in with a reasonable price tag and with performance that's at least a step above the FZ-09s and the like and comfort that's a step above middleweight sportbikes, then they've got a shot at enough of a market to make it worthwhile.

Quote:
Bring it to the U.S.
I like the way you think!
dmac57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 12:48 PM   #2622
Jason F.
Will Ride for Beer...

Oddometer: 341
Quote:
Nice. And I noticed those wheels too.

Don't get the "I don't need more power" mantra. It's like complaining about a girl that makes too much money, cooks to well and won't get her face out of your lap.
More power is fine as long as it does not come at the expense of size, handling, fuel mileage, fuel range, increased purchase price, increased maintenance issues, increased maintenance costs, or a host of other possible factors.

My point is that a new version of the VFR800 does not NEED to have 5, 10, or 20 more horsepower than the previous version to be a great VFR. The 5th and 6th gen had perfectly adequate levels of power for just about any rider. If they brought it to market with a great set of features at a reasonable price then a bit more power would great but lets not knock it because they did not bring a 190hp VFR to market.
Old 11-08-2013, 06:40 PM   #2623
Gregster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 979
Pretty sure I could get used to owning one of these beauties.
Gregster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 07:50 PM   #2624
Storm Shadow
Thread Ninja

Oddometer: 1,499
Quote:
More power is fine as long as it does not come at the expense of size, handling, fuel mileage, fuel range, increased purchase price, increased maintenance issues, increased maintenance costs, or a host of other possible factors.

My point is that a new version of the VFR800 does not NEED to have 5, 10, or 20 more horsepower than the previous version to be a great VFR. The 5th and 6th gen had perfectly adequate levels of power for just about any rider. If they brought it to market with a great set of features at a reasonable price then a bit more power would great but lets not knock it because they did not bring a 190hp VFR to market.
They won't want to overlap with the the rest of the line up. It won't cost more than st1300 it won't be faster than the cbr etc

The new vfr800 will still be a left over parts bike. The old 800 with some new bits taken from other models. I'm convinced honda has a warehouse full of v4 800 motors they want to get rid of
Sent from my Stream using Tapatalk 2

Storm Shadow screwed with this post 11-08-2013 at 07:56 PM
Storm Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 12:05 PM   #2625
jhawley
n00b

Oddometer: 5

Here's my 2010 v12 that I picked up this summer with 186 miles.
Coming from an Suzuki SV1000 I'm really loving it.
jhawley is offline   Reply With Quote