Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2009, 08:27 AM   #436
Kerry_129
semi-reformed squid

Oddometer: 306
VERY tasty color combo & bike - love those wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Davis
I may keep her and upgrade the suspension.
Dooooo Eeeeeet! Best money you can possibly put into it, and I promise it will absolutely transform the bike as it sits now (undersprung/damped new, far worse with age). One of those things you can't really believe until feeling the difference - but man what a difference! I 'worked' a friends '95 with an Ohlins + RaceTech fork internals (after a couple of years of pestering him... ) and he still was absolutely shocked that what I was telling him was so true.

PS: Coincidently, soon I'll be ordering a plug set to do the late-model Yamaha rectifier conversion on my VFR, and probably throw on a fuseblock while I'm at it - from your fine site which I found via VFRD!
Kerry_129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 06:15 PM   #437
Schmittenhymer
Adventure Tourer

Oddometer: 634
I just sold my 99 last year and got a 01 FZ1.

Not sure if I made the right decision though.
Attached Images

http://www.adventuretourer.ca
www.iboxcabinets.com
Schmittenhymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 06:25 PM   #438
RonMexico
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
I commute to work daily on my 98 with riding boots on and I only notice the heat if I'm running errands close to home in running shoes. If you're wearing pants and proper footwear, there are no heat issues.

In response to the original question of the thread, Bike magazine seems to think the best year of new motorcycles since they have been in business was 1998 with the intro of the Yamaha R1 and the 5th gen VFR800. Its in the Feb/March/April '09 issue IIRC.
RonMexico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 09:02 PM   #439
no5s
Terror at 2 mph

Oddometer: 331
Vfr

Had a 98 and loved it. Just bought my wife an 02 w/ABS and am pleasantly surprised. If anybody has a set of bar risers or factory bags and mounts. I'm interested. PM me.
65 Triumph TR6 Desert Sled
65 Triumph T100SC TT Bike
no5s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 11:21 PM   #440
BeeCeeGS
WeaponOfMassDestruction

Oddometer: 1,788
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportrider
I never noticed any heat issues on any of my vfr's (83, 85, 86, 98, 03). My fjr gets hot on hot days.
My '90 threw quite a bit of heat off the clutch area, and my '93 is even more noticeable (even though it should be the same).
Old 08-29-2009, 10:19 PM   #441
estrada42
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
I made the mistake of buying a 98 VFR as the second bike I've ever ridden.

I don't know if I can ever give up that sweet sounding V4, and the comfy ergos. For a big dolt like me, I can sit almost straight up like a standard for long days, or I can slide back in the saddle and hunch down sportbike style.

I don't know if I'll ever get rid of it, or replace it.

estrada42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 05:46 PM   #442
viajero
Too old to be a nOOb

Oddometer: 2,190
Bump, 'cause this thread needs to be above all those H-D ones.
viajero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 07:23 PM   #443
Chad_NC OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,742
Anyone else with pics of their VFR??
Chad_NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 03:09 PM   #444
hpsVFR
Hoosier Daddy

Oddometer: 1,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad_NC
I appreciate it HPS. I dont have to worry about storing it, I do get to ride it once in a while, JUST enough so I dont have to do all the prep to actually store the bike. I bought it last Nov, and it will be paid for in about two months, which is another con for selling. I just HATE for a gorgous bike to be sitting and not on the road where it belongs.
Good deal then. I hate for mine to sit around like it does too (didn't touch it in the month of July, and not much this month either, for example), but that's where my life is at these days. It's frustrating, but I ride when I can and I look forward to getting things straightened out enough that my wife and I can spend more time on two wheels.

The ultimate goal: get her a bike of her own so we can go together on one bike, or together on two.
hpsVFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 03:25 PM   #445
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,804
I don't have a better picture of it in the wild, but here's my new to me '95!

Unfortunately, it kinda handles...well...horribly right now. Extremely hard to lean, requiring massive pressure on the bars, and while leaned over it feels very unstable. It weaves and wobbles, then if you hit undulations or bumps, it feels really scary. Very difficult to ride through the twisties right now. It requires ridiculous pressure to keep it leaned, and even more to lean it further, and we're not talking crazy angles here.

The PO put a 180 rear tire on it, and after some research, I've found the 95 is supposed to have a 170 tire stock. The VFR forums are all saying it's most likely the tire causing the problems. Any agreement here? The 180 is pretty worn, past the wear bars but not really flat spotted. That said I've never ridden anything with a rear tire bigger than a 130...

I just find it difficult to beleive that a 10mm difference in rear tire size can make such a huge difference. Guess I'll find out.

I'm REALLY hoping the tire fixes the problem since the bike is otherwise completely stock and in fine shape. It's a shame for a bike that looks like this one to ride so horrible in the curves.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 05:08 PM   #446
ggrjr
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 954
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilNinjaDog

Unfortunately, it kinda handles...well...horribly right now. Extremely hard to lean, requiring massive pressure on the bars, and while leaned over it feels very unstable. It weaves and wobbles, then if you hit undulations or bumps, it feels really scary. Very difficult to ride through the twisties right now. It requires ridiculous pressure to keep it leaned, and even more to lean it further, and we're not talking crazy angles here.

The PO put a 180 rear tire on it, and after some research, I've found the 95 is supposed to have a 170 tire stock. The VFR forums are all saying it's most likely the tire causing the problems. Any agreement here? The 180 is pretty worn, past the wear bars but not really flat spotted. That said I've never ridden anything with a rear tire bigger than a 130...

I just find it difficult to beleive that a 10mm difference in rear tire size can make such a huge difference. Guess I'll find out.

I'm REALLY hoping the tire fixes the problem since the bike is otherwise completely stock and in fine shape. It's a shame for a bike that looks like this one to ride so horrible in the curves.

My 93 had a 180 on it when I bought it. I switched to a 170, and saw am immediate improvement. However the change was not earth shattering. I saw about a 2 second improvement in lap times at VIR. I would be looking at the suspension settings, preload, damping ( not sure if its adjustable) and height of forks in triple clamps. If the tire is worn to a square profile, it could casue some of this as well.

2005 DL 1000
93 VFR
ggrjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 05:53 PM   #447
1 Wheel Drive
Flatus Antiquous

Oddometer: 1,205
got a '98

I've had my Viffer for a while now. It's gone full circle, kind of. Fitted it out for touring with Givi hard bags, Y2k mirrors, and touring shield, Staintune exhaust, Heli bars, etc.

But now I have an '05 FJR and an '01 Trophy for the long range stuff, so the bags are off and I only use it for day rides. Put some sport bike tires on it and I'm loving it all the more. It's a great bike. I'll never sell it unless I have to.
Old 08-31-2009, 06:08 PM   #448
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggrjr
My 93 had a 180 on it when I bought it. I switched to a 170, and saw am immediate improvement. However the change was not earth shattering. I saw about a 2 second improvement in lap times at VIR. I would be looking at the suspension settings, preload, damping ( not sure if its adjustable) and height of forks in triple clamps. If the tire is worn to a square profile, it could casue some of this as well.
Bike suspension is a complete mystery to me other than that I know it needs to keep the tires on the ground at all times. What in the suspension would cause stiff turning? The preload and rebound are adjustable on the rear and the preload is adjustable on the front. I went ahead and set everything to stock settings as per the owner's manual last night and this morning's ride was no better.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 06:55 PM   #449
Twohondas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,159
Quote:

Big 180 on that rim and you will turn slow. Go back to a 170 the original 4th gen spec. Guys put 190s on the 5th gens and guess what happens -turns for crap.
Twohondas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 08:02 PM   #450
hpsVFR
Hoosier Daddy

Oddometer: 1,319
Quote:

Here's my opinion; it's late and I've been up for a while, so it's probably not my best, but here goes:

1. Change the tire.
2. For weaving and wobbling through undulations, that's probably a sacked-out rear shock and front forks with old fluid and soft springs.
3. If the steering effort is high, and particularly if there's a 'notch' at center, your steering-head bearings are suspect.

I'd leave the rear alone for right now: it's expensive and fairly time-consuming to swap the shock out, and you can't use the bike unless you buy a new one (or find an OEM Honda one to have rebuilt for you) before removing the original. You will want to have this done eventually, however.

For the front, replace your fork oil, ASAP. You'll find all sorts of recommendations for what to use online, and I'm no expert so I'll just say that at 5' 9" and ~180lb, 10.5(ish)w fork oil seems to work okay for me. Changing fork oil is cheap and easy to do, and it will help you figure out whether there's more going on than just a wide rear tire, in about 2 hours worth of work.

If you can, find some new springs. I managed to get some OEM VFR800 springs off of a guy for free (he had just put Racetech springs into his) and the stiffer springs helped things out on my bike.

SH bearings can be hard to diagnose. Frankly, your bike has low-enough miles that I'd be tempted to open up the bearings, re-grease them, and torque it down to spec. Everyone agrees that Honda doesn't put very much lube on them at the factory, and 14 year-old grease probably needs replacing anyway. If you detect notchiness or get a wobble at around 30-35mph, then it's probably time to replace the bearings (easy and cheap if you've ever done a bicycle's steering-head, it's pretty familiar). I'd worry about that if you get there, and not before.

fwiw (and there's lots of good info over at VFRD; check it out)
hpsVFR is offline   Reply With Quote