Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2009, 06:43 PM   #481
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuichet
Congrats swimmer! I just sold my 06 650r in July and bought an 08 VFR w/ABS and bags last week. (It is in route now)

How is your take on the switch? I am curious to see for myself, but it's good to hear a fellow 650r owner's take.

By the way - I just moved from Sierra Vista. I miss AZ riding weather already...

-Steve
It's taking me a while to get used to the change. Certainly the VFR is heavier and the fact I'm only 145lbs probably exacerbates this so I can't really through the motorcycle around (yet) in the way I felt I could with my 650R. I need to pay attention a little more when moving it around the driweway, etc...
The VFR is way smoother, feels much better put together, is more comfortable to me, travels at higher speeds much better, has much better suspension and brakes and sounds better. I am happy with the VFR and liking it more. The VFR can't touch the mpg of the 650R but ridden conservatively I am getting close to 50mpg (I was usually near 60mpg with the 650R and did 67mpg a couple of times).

The I think the VFR can deal with having a lot of miles put on it much better than the 650R. Not that the 650R would fall apart after 50k miles but at 33k miles mine was feeling pretty used. Still, the 650R is a great motorcycle.
swimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 06:59 PM   #482
wuichet
super geek

Oddometer: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer
I need to pay attention a little more when moving it around the driweway, etc...
Yep. This will be my biggest concern for the short term... I am exited to upgrade to the VFR though. Have you had a chance to take it up Mt. Lemmon?

-Thomas Jefferson
wuichet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 07:04 PM   #483
Twohondas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by VFR_firefly
Meh, the 800cc version was already too large. They should have kept it at 750cc. 1200 is a pig, a big FAT pig.

..................................As far as I'm concerned the bike started really going downhill after the 6th generation. I'm not at ALL excited about this new blimpy fat pig. It might as well be called the gold wing.
VFRs are fatter than modern CRs for sure.

I think the first 800, 5th gen, was actually a little lighter than the 4th gen 750. THe Vtech 6th gen started adding lbs though although I am not sure I can tell the difference on the street.

I suspect the 1200 will be heavier but lighter than the current ST1300 or 1100.
Twohondas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 08:48 AM   #484
UncleMike
How'd that happen?

Oddometer: 60
Just sold it. Great ride! I'd recommend them to anyone wanting a sport / tour bike.

UncleMike screwed with this post 09-10-2009 at 08:53 AM
UncleMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 10:45 AM   #485
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,352
No comments for the video link?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat0020
Did you get a VFR??
Old 09-10-2009, 04:23 PM   #486
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat0020
No comments for the video link?
It's been posted a million times on this and other websites. Most people want to pretend it never exists.
swimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 04:27 PM   #487
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer
It's been posted a million times on this and other websites. Most people want to pretend it never exists.
Thanks for letting me know.
Old 09-10-2009, 06:23 PM   #488
Ptrbilt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Well, I'm 9 days away from owning a 99 VFR. Sold my 93 BMW R1100RS last week and couldn't stand the money burning a hole in my pocket.

Can't wait to post pictures!!!
Old 09-11-2009, 04:07 AM   #489
SixWatt
kicker of elves

Oddometer: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptrbilt
Well, I'm 9 days away from owning a 99 VFR. Sold my 93 BMW R1100RS last week and couldn't stand the money burning a hole in my pocket.

Can't wait to post pictures!!!

Can't wait to see 'em!
SixWatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 10:12 AM   #490
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,906
Well I finally got a stock sized 170 rear tire on my '95 and tinkered with the suspension settings a bit to get it back to stock settings, plus a little extra preload in the back to even the sag.

The bike handles 210 percent better now. WAY easier to turn in, and, most importantly to me, it holds its line with stability now and doesn't fight me and fight to straighten out the whole time it's leaned over now.

Front forks are still mushy and midcorner undulations in the road surface cause some wandering but it's soooooo much better. I'm going to change the fork oil next and go through the whole process to actually set the sag correctly once I have some help. Much more fun to ride now!!! Crappy cell phone pic of today's ride:

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 11:23 AM   #491
hpsVFR
Hoosier Daddy

Oddometer: 1,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilNinjaDog
Well I finally got a stock sized 170 rear tire on my '95 and tinkered with the suspension settings a bit to get it back to stock settings, plus a little extra preload in the back to even the sag.

The bike handles 210 percent better now. WAY easier to turn in, and, most importantly to me, it holds its line with stability now and doesn't fight me and fight to straighten out the whole time it's leaned over now.

Front forks are still mushy and midcorner undulations in the road surface cause some wandering but it's soooooo much better. I'm going to change the fork oil next and go through the whole process to actually set the sag correctly once I have some help. Much more fun to ride now!!! Crappy cell phone pic of today's ride:

Way to go. Keep us updated, and ride that thing. Come to think, why am I at the computer right now?
hpsVFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 02:19 PM   #492
Chad_NC OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,749
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpsVFR

Way to go. Keep us updated, and ride that thing. Come to think, why am I at the computer right now?
I agree with that!!
Chad_NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 09:19 AM   #493
Chad_NC OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,749
bump
Chad_NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 04:47 AM   #494
Ptrbilt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Well on Saturday I picked up my 1999 VFR from Cabinfever in Illinois. After a 22 hour straght through round trip I have it at home. Here a few picks of it in the yard. Took it for a short ride on Sunday. Still need to get a plate for it today. Tomorrow it'll be up for commuting duty.

I'll add some more photos as I take them.

Old 09-21-2009, 10:25 PM   #495
MapMaster
Human Compass

Oddometer: 731
Still Rocking

A month on the road, 7,000 miles in New York, Vermont, Maine, New Hampshire, New Brunswick and the Gaspe Peninsula in Quebec. The only bike issue was needing a new rear tire to finish the trip.
My '96 with 144,000 miles on it, still ROCKS!
MapMaster is offline   Reply With Quote