Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2009, 02:31 PM   #511
quema
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
I have owned a '98, a '00, and now an '05 w/ ABS.

I appreciate the good looks of both bikes...

But wish I had the '98 back, I like the looks slightly better, I loved the gear driven cams... the only bike I have ever felt really at one with in the mountains. Seemed like a neutral extention of myself.

Kickin' it in Columbia, SC
quema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 04:27 PM   #512
spdtrpl
Red Coat MagnoliaTx

Oddometer: 137
Cry

I think you could be right - I loved my 98 model and still miss the sound of the gear driven cams
spdtrpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 05:41 PM   #513
Cykel
I'm Adventurer?

Oddometer: 285
Hey all! Just found this thread. I picked up a leftover '07 Anniversary last weekend. So far it's been great. The VTEC is a little strange, but it's kind of fun at the same time.

I've also got an '02 Ducati ST4s, but as my only means of transportation I need something that will just run. Maintenance on the Ducati has just been too much to use it as an everyday ride. It will be going up for sale soon.

Glad to see there's such a following for the viffers here!
Cykel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 07:38 PM   #514
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by d1a0v1e

The only other concern I have is the little turbo boost it has when all four valves open, that will take some getting used to.
I have an 06. The VTEC transition is not a big deal. If you are only part throttle you barely notice it. Full throttle it feels pleasant.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 09:16 PM   #515
Kerry_129
semi-reformed squid

Oddometer: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyBiker
Kerry, I am from Nashville too. Would love to check out your bike some time. Love those ohlins components.
Cool man - we do weekend rides pretty often when we're not out of town (my g/f & a few other good riders), sometimes southwest in Williamson Co. (Leiper's Fork & surrounding area), sometimes longer all-day rides to the east/northeast.
PM sometime if you're looking to get out & want to meet up.

This is a shameful admission for a full-bore Cafe Racer, but let me tell you something, old sport: This motorcycle is simply too g*d fast to ride at speed in any kind of normal road traffic unless you're ready to go straight down the centerline with your nuts on fire and a silent scream in your throat. -
Hunter S.
Kerry_129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 07:14 AM   #516
oldturtle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 449
Cannot hear my gear cam drive.

Previous owner installed an open Remus Revolution slip on can on my 98 VFR. After a few rides I installed the Remus quiet core; not really much quieter than open can. I cannot hear the cam drive whine that I loved. I am on verge of replacing Remus with the stock pipe. While at this I believe I will also install a stock rear fender since PO also cut rear fender down to get the cool I'M FAST look. I believe this is one bike that deserves to be appreciated in all stock condition.
2009 Suz DR650
2011 Kaw 650Versys
oldturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 08:19 AM   #517
Incredulous
Peanut Gallery

Oddometer: 565
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldturtle
Previous owner installed an open Remus Revolution slip on can on my 98 VFR. After a few rides I installed the Remus quiet core; not really much quieter than open can. I cannot hear the cam drive whine that I loved. I am on verge of replacing Remus with the stock pipe. While at this I believe I will also install a stock rear fender since PO also cut rear fender down to get the cool I'M FAST look. I believe this is one bike that deserves to be appreciated in all stock condition.
My buddy's '01 had a Two Brother's can that sounded fantastic. Little louder than stock but with a deeper sound. You could definitely still hear the cam gears.

I can appreciate your wish for stock but mild exhaust mods can not only improve the tone but cut weight over stock pretty easily. YMMV
Incredulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 09:22 PM   #518
Chad_NC OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,747
The first time I full throttled it to the 7grand mark, I didnt know about the VTEC accelleration. Almost took my hands off the bars. My next addition is going to be the hard bags(about a grand or so) and the handlebar risers. Having 600 miles on it, and the hard bags already on it, you are getting a deal for 6600 bucks IMO. I paid 8200 for mine without bags with 441 miles on it.
Chad_NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 10:52 AM   #519
PizzaHog
Thought Criminal

Oddometer: 2,775
OK - I'm a recovering ST1300 owner.

n00b question: how are the "generations" defined? There are a number of references to the generations in this thread, but I don't get what they refer to.

There are a few VFR w/ABS bikes out there: there are some intriguing sales in Seattle and eBay. I expect prices to continue a downward spiral with the economy and the introduction of the 2010 VFR1200 [], so I'm not in a particular rush to buy - but I might get a used VFR to tide me over until the 2011/12 VFRR and ST models settle out.

Your pictures and write-ups sure to paint a tempting picture - keep them coming!
"For just as the Constitution is not a suicide pact, neither is there an obligation in the civil society to go meekly to one’s death at the state’s behest, or to satisfy its lust for absolute control over its citizens." Michael Walsh
PizzaHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 11:39 AM   #520
Chad_NC OP
Beastly Adventurer

I am NO expert, but the generations are defined, just like in cars, by the model changes. I have an 07, and I am not sure which gen mine is, its either 5th or 6th, cant remember, cant keep track! The ABS/non ABS models have been made in the same year, I think it was an option for the VFR. Mine is a non ABS model.
Old 09-29-2009, 11:58 AM   #521
VFR_firefly
Buh Bye!

Oddometer: 2,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad_NC
I am NO expert, but the generations are defined, just like in cars, by the model changes. I have an 07, and I am not sure which gen mine is, its either 5th or 6th, cant remember, cant keep track! The ABS/non ABS models have been made in the same year, I think it was an option for the VFR. Mine is a non ABS model.
Gen5: 98-01
Gen6: 02-present (V-tech)

Saying, "You are full of it" is a banning offense -Putts

Too many n00bs/non-riders/pirates here to be worthwhile any more
VFR_firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 12:03 PM   #522
Chad_NC OP
Beastly Adventurer

Looks like the VFR will have to share the miles with another addition to my stable! Finally going to be a two bike owner.
Old 09-30-2009, 12:08 PM   #523
BasementSafe
Mechanical Bull Fighter

Oddometer: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad_NC
Looks like the VFR will have to share the miles with another addition to my stable! Finally going to be a two bike owner.
uh-oh, what did ya get?
Old 09-30-2009, 01:31 PM   #524
ag_streak
Tiene Ruta Cuarenta?

Oddometer: 3,134
Sorry, no pictures, but yes, they cleared the fairing no problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reryder
Nice. Got any top view pics of the GenMar bar riser? they sound like a good idea for long trips. My back aint getting any younger.
Do the bars clear the stock fairing ok with them on??

Improve your cosmic karma here!
ag_streak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 02:33 PM   #525
Chad_NC OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BasementSafe
uh-oh, what did ya get?
I bought an 08 Buell Uly XT from the PGH area. I am moving the mother in law back up there next week and the Uly is my ride home