Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2009, 07:08 AM   #571
trav72
I can't ride where?

Oddometer: 871
You guys are all just falling into my ploy of getting you to post more pics of your VFR's.

I just prefer a pic of a well ridden, dirty VFR than a perfectly clean spotless one.
trav72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 09:43 AM   #572
MapMaster
Human Compass

Oddometer: 728
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilNinjaDog
Jebus! Is there a walkthrough somewhere that can guide me in the process of removing that stuff from a gen 4? What does it all DO?!! Does removing it alter the engine's performance at all (not HP but introduce flat spots, cause rough idle/hard starting/worse economy/etc)
In reverse order:
The system is an emission related one, it introduces fresh air from the air box to the exhaust headers when off-throttle to allow more complete burning of the exhaust gases. Removal doesn't impact engine performance at all, but some reported less light backfiring on deceleration after removal.

I don't recall seeing a write up of what to remove posted anywhere. Get a shop manual that describes and identifies all of the parts of it. No wiring is involved, there are vacuum lines from the intake to cap off, air supply from the air box to tape over, and chromed tubing to just below each exhaust header to remove. That last part is the most difficult in terms of access, especially for the rear cylinders. You then need to block the just created exhaust opening. Sets of plates were available to bolt into place, whether any are still available or not I don't know. (I also don't know if the same system was used on later models or not, but if so the plates should still be findable. CBR600's used the same plates for the same purposes.) I fabricated some from several layers of thin flashing, cut some new gaskets, and cut the tubing from the existing mounting brackets so I could reuse them to seal the exhaust ports.

As mentioned, removing it will drop a couple of pounds and make access for other maintenance tasks around the engine easier, which is the main reason why I did it. The capped vacuum nipples are where to connect carb stix for synchronizing the carbs. With the PAIR stuff gone, these are much easier to access, as well as the carb drain screws when doing long term storage.

If you're not doing your own tune ups, there's not much benefit from the process, cause while simple to describe, it was a PITA to do.

Cheers,

Maritime Meander Ride Report

For Whom the (Wedding) Bells Toll
MapMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 10:00 AM   #573
hpsVFR
Hoosier Daddy

Oddometer: 1,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleshpiston
Correct... just mid fairings need to be removed. Right side is a little tricky with the coolant hoses in the way.

Now that I think of it the left side might be obscured too if you still have the "PAIR" (emissions) plumbing installed .... flashlight and long screwdriver will be your friends
Left-side access is clear, even with PAIR equipment installed. I do all my carb synchronization from the left for this reason.

I reached the drain screws on my carbs without difficulty even though I still have the PAIR equipment onboard (I'm too lazy to bother removing it, and if it burns up extra hydrocarbons, so much the better). I don't remember whether I accessed all four drain screws from the left side, or used both sides, though.

I'm going to be yanking my carbs here soon for a thorough cleaning ( engine was idling at 1500rpm with choke full on, and now won't start at all, and I've been putting off cleaning the suckers for a while, because I'm lazy). If I get to it soon I'll try to remember to take pics of the drain screws.
hpsVFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 11:28 AM   #574
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,796
Thanks guys.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 01:02 PM   #575
Twohondas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by trav72
You guys are all just falling into my ploy of getting you to post more pics of your VFR's.

I just prefer a pic of a well ridden, dirty VFR than a perfectly clean spotless one.
It helps when it does not rain for 4 or 5 months.

Twohondas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 07:16 PM   #576
SVader
Lurker

Oddometer: 189
My 04 that appeared earlier in the thread.

I traded it Thursday for an 07 anniversary with ABS.

SVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 05:12 AM   #577
Gas Hog
Two Wheel Fanatic

Oddometer: 906
Quote:
I traded it Thursday for an 07 anniversary with ABS.
Nice!.....no better day than new bike day
Gary
Some regard private enterprise as if it were a predatory tiger to be shot. Others look upon it as a cow that they can milk. Only a handful see it for what it really is - the strong horse that pulls the whole cart. - Winston Churchill
Gas Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 09:11 AM   #578
Chad_NC OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,742
The Anniversary edition is still my favorite VFR. I almost put mine up for sale last week, but the wife talked me out of it. I dont get to ride mine as much as I should, and now it will be even less since I took the plate and insurance off of it for a while.
Chad_NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 09:22 AM   #579
Constipated Face
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 404
Didn't notice any Gen-6 VFRs with frame sliders installed.
Constipated Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 09:53 AM   #580
fleshpiston
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 565
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constipated Face

These are made by a fellow that goes by the name of "radar" on VFRD.

They worked very well for my friend when he had a little run in with some deer.......

R&G might be easier to get in Singapore though???
KLR650
fleshpiston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 02:03 PM   #581
Hammerspur
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupiderlikeafox
I finally got myself a VFR. I've wanted one since the early 90's but always found excuses why not to. Then, one day a two weeks ago I saw a craigslist ad for a low mileage '97. Wants to trade for a dual sport. Goodbye high mileage DRZ-400 SM, hello VFR. Even trade. Best bike ever.
DAMN!!!

I called on that one just after you!

I wanted to buy that bad... oh well, T.S. for me, still looking.

(If anyone can point me toward a nice, reasonably priced one in the So. New England area, I'm listening!)
Hammerspur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 05:00 PM   #582
bl4ckd0g
Time for a Magic Trick

Oddometer: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constipated Face

That's 'cuz most kits require a keyhole saw cut to both sides of the front fairing. Gen 6 body sliders are not a cheap purchase. Another $80 and you can buy new front fairings.
Old 11-01-2009, 07:24 PM   #583
dougfromindy
I smell premix

Oddometer: 2,112
get frame sliders now or cry later

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl4ckd0g
That's 'cuz most kits require a keyhole saw cut to both sides of the front fairing. Gen 6 body sliders are not a cheap purchase. Another $80 and you can buy new front fairings.
This is not true. I think R & G kit costs about $200 total, way less than just a single side panel fairing for a 6th gen. I got my R & Gs for $100 on ebay and an R & G coolant bottle on vfrd for $25, so $125 cost if you shop.
Never use any saw on a fairing or no holesaw on a drill motor. Mark a small pilot hole, if its a good spot then use a bigger drill bit next, still good, then use sliders and trace around with a black sharpie marker. Finally finish hole with a dremel tool and a sanding drum bit on it. Mine turned out perfect 10/10 with an hours time. No margin for error on this job so I will admit its a bit nerve wracking. I did it, perfect. My driveway drop meant no body damage just bending the rear brake lever back into place with visegrips.
Big trouble without the R & Gs.
dougfromindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 06:01 AM   #584
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,796
That's one thing that bugs me about owning a 4th gen. If I drop it/lowside it, the plastics are done. And Honda does not make the 4th gen plastics anymore, and they are getting extremely rare to find used.

Also, even if you wanted to drill through your precious original plastic to install some sliders, there aren't good places on the frame to attach any.

At least it makes me more careful while riding the thing

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 09:05 AM   #585
Constipated Face
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleshpiston
These are made by a fellow that goes by the name of "radar" on VFRD.

They worked very well for my friend when he had a little run in with some deer.......

R&G might be easier to get in Singapore though???
Whoa! Your friend sure is lucky. It could have been A LOT worse.

Thanks for the input. I'll check if they're available locally.

By the way, I don't have a VFR, but a buddy of mine does. He said he wasn't keen on installing sliders. Maybe this post will change his mind.
Constipated Face is offline   Reply With Quote