Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2009, 09:08 AM   #586
Constipated Face
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougfromindy
This is not true. I think R & G kit costs about $200 total, way less than just a single side panel fairing for a 6th gen. I got my R & Gs for $100 on ebay and an R & G coolant bottle on vfrd for $25, so $125 cost if you shop.
Never use any saw on a fairing or no holesaw on a drill motor. Mark a small pilot hole, if its a good spot then use a bigger drill bit next, still good, then use sliders and trace around with a black sharpie marker. Finally finish hole with a dremel tool and a sanding drum bit on it. Mine turned out perfect 10/10 with an hours time. No margin for error on this job so I will admit its a bit nerve wracking. I did it, perfect. My driveway drop meant no body damage just bending the rear brake lever back into place with visegrips.
Big trouble without the R & Gs.
That's the thing about installing sliders on a Gen-6 VFR. On top of having to drill the faring panels, you have to do something to the coolant bottle too.
Constipated Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 11:10 AM   #587
hpsVFR
Hoosier Daddy

Oddometer: 1,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilNinjaDog
That's one thing that bugs me about owning a 4th gen. If I drop it/lowside it, the plastics are done. And Honda does not make the 4th gen plastics anymore, and they are getting extremely rare to find used.

Also, even if you wanted to drill through your precious original plastic to install some sliders, there aren't good places on the frame to attach any.
The only place I've seen sliders for the 4G is bolted to the engine bolts. R&G used to make a set for the 4G where only the bolt-shaft goes through the fairing, and the larger-diameter slider sits entirely outside of it. Not only do you not have to drill so large a hole, the slider hides the shaft and hole.

If you decide to get sliders, I'd recommend the R&G kit. It was highly recommended on the VFRlist, and based on my experiences with my Thurn sliders (which appear to be more-or-less the same as everyone else's units...everyone other than R&G, that is), I'd go R&G if I had to do it over. Nothing wrong with the Thurn sliders, btw, I just think the R&G units are better.
hpsVFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 01:44 PM   #588
Zoolion
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerspur
DAMN!!!

I called on that one just after you!

I wanted to buy that bad... oh well, T.S. for me, still looking.

(If anyone can point me toward a nice, reasonably priced one in the So. New England area, I'm listening!)
It is a sweet bike and even a sweeter deal for me. Keep watching CL there seem to be a few around. This bike is getting well ridden. 3500 miles so far since Oct 10th. I'm not trying to rub it in. Just trying to motivate you to keep looking for one. All those magazine articles were right when they said this is one of the great motorcycles of all time. Good luck
Old 11-02-2009, 02:28 PM   #589
Hammerspur
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupiderlikeafox
It is a sweet bike and even a sweeter deal for me. Keep watching CL there seem to be a few around. All those magazine articles were right when they said this is one of the great motorcycles of all time. Good luck
I'm hitting CL several times daily at this point!

Years back I owned the original '82 V45, bad cams and all.
Had it fixed and installed a painted to match full body Pichler fairing.
Handled great, went like stink, looked awesome, incredible wind protection BUT...

Riding it in the summer was like sitting in a microwave oven, 'hot' doesn't begin to describe it!

Sure was nice and toasty during the late season though... like in January!

Sold it to a guy from Long Island who looked like Charles Grodin.

Hammerspur screwed with this post 11-03-2009 at 03:06 AM
Hammerspur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 03:39 PM   #590
hpsVFR
Hoosier Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpsVFR
Left-side access is clear, even with PAIR equipment installed. I do all my carb synchronization from the left for this reason.

I reached the drain screws on my carbs without difficulty even though I still have the PAIR equipment onboard (I'm too lazy to bother removing it, and if it burns up extra hydrocarbons, so much the better). I don't remember whether I accessed all four drain screws from the left side, or used both sides, though.

I'm going to be yanking my carbs here soon for a thorough cleaning ( engine was idling at 1500rpm with choke full on, and now won't start at all, and I've been putting off cleaning the suckers for a while, because I'm lazy). If I get to it soon I'll try to remember to take pics of the drain screws.
DevilNinjaDog: my camera's batteries died, so you get crappy cell-phone pics. The drain screw is inthis picture and in this one.

The screwdriver points to the drain screw in both pics. There's a nipple visible just behind the drain screw which is where the fuel actually drains. To drain the carbs, just shove some 1/8" (I think) fuel line on the nipple, put the end into the container of your choice, and turn the screw a few turns. Between the four of my carbs I got about 4 fluid oz of fuel; about 1/2 of a can of Hunt's tomato paste.

HTH!
Old 11-02-2009, 03:55 PM   #591
YamaLink
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
While I was hoping the 2010 would be more sport-bike than sport-tourer, the new VFR has me very interested. My once-a-month passsenger said she'd like to ride bikes more but not with her knees against her ears on the back of my Speed Triple. The FJ1300 my friend has was very nice but I'm hoping the Honda is a tad smaller for my solo adventures. I dunno. It's nice thinking about as winter comes rollin' in....and as I wait to see what that new Multistrada 1200 is (beside relatively UGLY).
YamaLink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 04:28 PM   #592
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 11,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpsVFR
DevilNinjaDog: my camera's batteries died, so you get crappy cell-phone pics. The drain screw is inthis picture and in this one.

The screwdriver points to the drain screw in both pics. There's a nipple visible just behind the drain screw which is where the fuel actually drains. To drain the carbs, just shove some 1/8" (I think) fuel line on the nipple, put the end into the container of your choice, and turn the screw a few turns. Between the four of my carbs I got about 4 fluid oz of fuel; about 1/2 of a can of Hunt's tomato paste.

HTH!
Thanks!! Which picture is the left (sidestand) side? EDIT: Nevermind it looks like you took those pics with the carbs off the bike.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 08:21 PM   #593
hpsVFR
Hoosier Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilNinjaDog
Thanks!! Which picture is the left (sidestand) side? EDIT: Nevermind it looks like you took those pics with the carbs off the bike.
Both pictures are the left side. The cable you can see in the second picture is the master idle control.

However, I can tell you with certainty that you can access the RH drain screws with the PAIR equipment installed, because:
a) you cannot drain the RH carbs from the Left side,
b) I drained all four carbs on the bike when I stored the thing a couple of years back.
c) I still have the PAIR gear on my bike.

Oh yeah: cleaned out two carbs tonight. Jets looks pretty clear. SE (starter enrichening circuit; 'choke' for the rest of us) jets/needles had some junk on them, and needles had plenty of varnish. Mixture screws had some junk on them, too. I hope to have the other two done tomorrow, and button the whole works back up.

and, fwiw, if you have those little 'D'-shaped mixture screws, the plastic insulator from one of those blue (14-16Ga) spade terminals hammers on nicely, holds firm, is softer than brass, and the spade terminal gives you a convenient handle. It's not the right tool for the job, but then I'm cleaning carbs in my dining room.
Old 11-03-2009, 03:02 PM   #594
YamaLink
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
Told today by dealer that April is the earliest he'll get one. Ugh.
YamaLink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 03:38 AM   #595
andmoon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,186
electrical surplus

How many watts of farkles can a gen 4 support?
I have about 75W of extras hooked up tp my 96.
Am I going to run into no battery issues?
Old 11-05-2009, 04:15 AM   #596
Zedrx
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Anyone need parts or whole? I have a '93 I used the rear wheel, rear brakes, and the front end for another project. It has a clean title. Looking to get rid of it for just some beer. I'm in south florida...
Zedrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 05:03 PM   #597
Hammerspur
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,138
Thumb Found One!

Yesterday, two days after my last post I bought one off the Boston CL, out of Billerica.

A nice '96 w/Givi bags (the little ones unfortunately) 18+K miles, luggage rack, service manual (F-in Haynes unfortunately), and cover.
My brother copped a like new pair of SIDI boots out of the deal too... too big for me.

The bike's basically all stock (mine to tinker with ) re-tired with almost new Pirelli Diablo Strada's.

Only issues are a couple little 'boo-boos' from previous tipovers in the guy's driveway and sand at his street corner.

Goes like stink already (more to come) and most importantly, I got it at what I belive to be a great price!
Got all winter to brainstorm, seek goodies, fabricate stuff, etc.
A pillion cowl will be on its way shortly (THANKS JIM!)
Already tinkered with the stock can a tad so I can at least hear it!

Sunday's weather supposed to be pretty good (for So. New England in Nov.)
I plan to swing by all my riding buddies' places to gloat!

Hammerspur screwed with this post 11-06-2009 at 03:46 AM
Hammerspur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 01:52 PM   #598
Zoolion
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerspur
Yesterday, two days after my last post I bought one off the Boston CL, out of Billerica.

A nice '96 w/Givi bags (the little ones unfortunately) 18+K miles, luggage rack, service manual (F-in Haynes unfortunately), and cover.
My brother copped a like new pair of SIDI boots out of the deal too... too big for me.

The bike's basically all stock (mine to tinker with ) re-tired with almost new Pirelli Diablo Strada's.

Only issues are a couple little 'boo-boos' from previous tipovers in the guy's driveway and sand at his street corner.

Goes like stink already (more to come) and most importantly, I got it at what I belive to be a great price!
Got all winter to brainstorm, seek goodies, fabricate stuff, etc.
A pillion cowl will be on its way shortly (THANKS JIM!)
Already tinkered with the stock can a tad so I can at least hear it!

Sunday's weather supposed to be pretty good (for So. New England in Nov.)
I plan to swing by all my riding buddies' places to gloat!
Awesome. Congratulations. Glad to hear you scored yourself a VFR.
Old 11-07-2009, 12:52 AM   #599
btl68
semi-rolling stone

Oddometer: 293
My 93 w/17,000 miles on the clock.

Ignorance is bliss until they take your bliss away...
btl68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 05:18 PM   #600
ggrjr
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 963
Quote:
Originally Posted by btl68
My 93 w/17,000 miles on the clock.

Very nice, of course white is teh fastest color.

2005 DL 1000
93 VFR
ggrjr is offline   Reply With Quote