Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2011, 11:21 AM   #1261
Dfrnt
Just pluggin' along

Oddometer: 953
Maybe.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino1 View Post
If the smuggler was yellow I'd sell something to get it....
This is close
Old 09-10-2011, 09:32 AM   #1262
Achtung
Wicked Pisssah Adventurer

Oddometer: 935
Well that didn't take long. Regulator rectifier seems to have gone bad in the VFR. I'm leaning towards going oem Honda but am interested if there is any general consensus for a quality aftermarket solution? Stator is good and battery is new.
Achtung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 10:06 AM   #1263
ErikY.
Here, Now.

Oddometer: 2,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achtung View Post
Well that didn't take long. Regulator rectifier seems to have gone bad in the VFR. I'm leaning towards going oem Honda but am interested if there is any general consensus for a quality aftermarket solution? Stator is good and battery is new.
Install a VFRness; cheap, easy and solves the problem. I have a Honda rectifier and no concerns now. Some guys use a RR off a Yamaha R1 but if you dont have the VFRness it seems the problem can return.

http://www.wiremybike.com/
ErikY. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 10:01 PM   #1264
PalePhase
Humour Noir

Oddometer: 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikY. View Post
Install a VFRness; cheap, easy and solves the problem. I have a Honda rectifier and no concerns now. Some guys use a RR off a Yamaha R1 but if you dont have the VFRness it seems the problem can return.

http://www.wiremybike.com/
The problem is not just on the VFRs. The Magnas are prone to the same failure. Some owners relocate the rectifier into the airstream to cool it off more effectively but that only works when the bike is underway. I ordered a VFRarness last week to put on my VFR and am going to work on something similar for my Magna.

1995 Honda VF750CD
2002 Honda VFR800
PalePhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 09:02 AM   #1265
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 11,137
It's partly the design of the R/R that was used on several bikes from that era -- a "shunt" style unit. If you replace it, it's a good idea to replace it with a newer "MOSFET" style unit that doesn't shunt all the excess current to ground creating so much heat.

I replaced my R/R with a mosfet unit from a 2009 R1 (fits with no fin trimming) AND replaced the harness with a VFRness.

Even after long rides, the R/R is only just warm to the touch now.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 09:54 AM   #1266
SantaFeTrailer
Stromtrooper

Oddometer: 307
+1 VFRness on order.

Installed. Took about 2 hours, including the accessory fuseblock, although I am not totally happy with where that is located.

SantaFeTrailer screwed with this post 09-15-2011 at 08:22 AM
SantaFeTrailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 11:39 AM   #1267
Joe?

Oddometer: 683
I believe this achieves the same as the VFRness if you're into doing it yourself (and cheap):
Monitor wire fix

LuciferMutt, if you don't mind my asking, how much and where did you get the '09 R1 RR?
Joe? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 03:47 PM   #1268
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe? View Post
I

LuciferMutt, if you don't mind my asking, how much and where did you get the '09 R1 RR?

Ebay for about $100 IIRC. It wasn't cheap but it was worth it.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
Old 09-11-2011, 07:26 PM   #1269
Achtung
Wicked Pisssah Adventurer

Oddometer: 935
Thanks for all the advice, I wired in a RR from a GSXR yesterday (it was known to be good and cheap ie free), now the bike charges at a solid 14.1 to 14.5 volts but after a short ride today the Rect was burning hot and the bike barely restarted. I'm getting 70 ac volts from the stator and no path to ground through it so I am beginning to think the new battery I put in is no good, maybe toasted from an over charging situation before. I'm going to load test the battery and order a harness upgrade for cheap insurance but this is annoying I never know when my bike won't restart.
Achtung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 01:07 AM   #1270
PalePhase
Humour Noir

Oddometer: 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure boy View Post
I just bought one
When I first saw photos of the VFR1200s, I thought they were ugly, but now after seeing a couple up close, I realize that the reason they are not photogenic is that they have some subtle curves instead of sharply defined lines that just don't translate well into two-dimensional images. After seeing them directly, photos just do not do them justice. They look great, really quite impressive. I hope they are as satisfying to ride as they look like they would be.

1995 Honda VF750CD
2002 Honda VFR800
PalePhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 06:52 AM   #1271
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalePhase View Post
When I first saw photos of the VFR1200s, I thought they were ugly, but now after seeing a couple up close, I realize that the reason they are not photogenic is that they have some subtle curves instead of sharply defined lines that just don't translate well into two-dimensional images. After seeing them directly, photos just do not do them justice. They look great, really quite impressive. I hope they are as satisfying to ride as they look like they would be.

They do look better in person than in photos. However, the stock exhaust looks f'n ugly no matter where you are seeing it.

Old 09-15-2011, 08:11 AM   #1272
Joe?

Vfr1200

I test rode this little lady at a deal back in April

When I saw that they added a shaft drive to that single swing arm, I thought I was in love, but the price and smaller tank quickly turned me off. I'm not much a fan of the lines, but a good motorcycle is a good motorcycle regardless of looks.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:14 AM   #1273
ErikY.
Here, Now.

Oddometer: 2,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achtung View Post
I am beginning to think the new battery I put in is no good, maybe toasted from an over charging situation before.
FYI a month ago my bike was hard-starting. I opened the "permanently sealedo not open" battery to find it bone dry. Filled the cells, put it in the bike, started right up; no concerns.
Cheers.
ErikY. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 08:17 AM   #1274
Joe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post
It's partly the design of the R/R that was used on several bikes from that era -- a "shunt" style unit. If you replace it, it's a good idea to replace it with a newer "MOSFET" style unit that doesn't shunt all the excess current to ground creating so much heat.

I replaced my R/R with a mosfet unit from a 2009 R1 (fits with no fin trimming) AND replaced the harness with a VFRness.

Even after long rides, the R/R is only just warm to the touch now.
Another question- plug it right in or did you have to do any wiring? Thanks.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:24 AM   #1275
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe? View Post
Another question- plug it right in or did you have to do any wiring? Thanks.

It was plug and play, because I ordered the VFRness that wiremybike.com sells that is pre-modified to work with a Yamaha R1 R/R.The difference is the plugs for the R/R. The only thing I had to do was drill a different mounting hole in for one of the screws for the R/R because I wanted it held on by both screws, not just one.

So I got this VFRness:

http://www.wiremybike.com/product_in...roducts_id=681

And plugged it into an 09 R1 R/R.