Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2011, 01:34 PM   #1336
Joe?

Oddometer: 684
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerspur View Post
Suitable for framing...?
They went pretty easy on me and the fine was reasonable. I was hoping they'd let me go since I was 20 miles away from the end and ATGATT on a loaded bike, but it is what it is. Hoping it doesn't count towards points on my insurance in MA, though I can't find a definitive answer either way.
Joe? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 02:24 PM   #1337
Jason F.
Will Ride for Beer...

Oddometer: 341
I picked up a 98 VFR a bit short of two months ago to replace my long in the tooth Bandit. It was not that the VFR was newer but it was a better built bike than the Bandit was and I knew it would tolerate higher mileage than the Bandit would down the road.

I have put just over 4000 miles on it in the last 30 or so days and am loving it for the most part. I added some Givi Racks and bags to it and threw a Givi TankLock system tank bag on it as well. I wish I could get the air flow on it a bit better but I may have a line on another screen to try soon. I have what appears to be a double bubble and a Zero Gravity touring screen but both seem to give me a ton of turbulence around the helmet.

Anyway on to the pics.

As I got it

And as she sat after a nice long SS1000 ride at about 11pm for the final fuel stop. This is also after the Givi racks and bags went on.

Old 10-16-2011, 10:18 PM   #1338
zDollar Bill
Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat

Oddometer: 961
^^ I was just looking at these on line but I thought they looked to wide. But now your pic looks great! ^^ Are you happy with the Givi bag setup?
zDollar Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 07:38 AM   #1339
Jason F.
Will Ride for Beer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zDollar Bill View Post
^^ I was just looking at these on line but I thought they looked to wide. But now your pic looks great! ^^ Are you happy with the Givi bag setup?

Yes I am happy with it. It is wide though, just a touch wider than the mirrors. The factory bags and hardware on the 6th gen bikes hugs the bike much tighter and disappears better than the Givi stuff on the 5th gens. I have managed to knock over a trash can or two in a gas station parking lot by cutting the corner to sharp before I got used to them.

They are rock solid though. They latch on good and tight and they are easy to open and remove. While I do prefer top opening cases for camping these seem to work better as luggage. By that I mean you can easily pull in to a hotel, pop them off with one push of the button, and take them to the room like luggage. No need to have liner bags or look like you are hauling a few tote bags up to a room.
Old 10-17-2011, 07:59 AM   #1340
1 Wheel Drive
Flatus Antiquous

Oddometer: 1,262
Here's a few more shots of what a '98 looks like with a set of Givi E36 bags on the tubular racks (when I still had the bags). Note that I am running a Staintune high mount pipe and had to rotate the pipe down below the right side bag to clear it. Works pretty well and can be done easily though.

Here's a good angle to show how the bags taper towards the rear of the bike. Helps reduce how wide they look.

Yeah, they're still pretty darned wide. But at 36 liters each, they old a lot of gear. Then toss a top box on there for the ultimate capacity when hauling the kitchen sink. This was my 2-up touring configuration.

Old 10-17-2011, 02:33 PM   #1341
jefmad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason F. View Post
I have what appears to be a double bubble and a Zero Gravity touring screen but both seem to give me a ton of turbulence around the helmet.
I had the same problem with the Zero Gravity screens. I got the Givi touring screen and that was worlds better.
jefmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 02:54 PM   #1342
1 Wheel Drive
Flatus Antiquous

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefmad View Post
I had the same problem with the Zero Gravity screens. I got the Givi touring screen and that was worlds better.

FWIW, that is the Givi Touring screen on my '98 2 posts up. I've not been a big fan of it as I am 6'2" and it puts me into some turbulence, but a shorter rider might do better. Available for purchase should someone want it, BTW. ;)
Old 10-17-2011, 03:08 PM   #1343
Jason F.
Will Ride for Beer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJWinNH View Post
FWIW, that is the Givi Touring screen on my '98 2 posts up. I've not been a big fan of it as I am 6'2" and it puts me into some turbulence, but a shorter rider might do better. Available for purchase should someone want it, BTW. ;)
Hmm I was considering a Givi Touring for mine but I am 6'2" was well. I hate to think I just can not get the wind flow better on this bike. Otherwise it has been great so far.
Old 10-18-2011, 04:25 AM   #1344
1 Wheel Drive
Flatus Antiquous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason F. View Post
Hmm I was considering a Givi Touring for mine but I am 6'2" was well. I hate to think I just can not get the wind flow better on this bike. Otherwise it has been great so far.
I should also have mentioned that I have the taller Heli Bars on it as that effects where your head / helmet are. With that combination the Givi Touring does take the wind pressure off of my chest, but the turbulent air that spills off the upper edge of the concave lip hits me at the lower edge of the helmet = noisey & head buffeting at highway speeds.

I've found that the best combination is actually the stock shield with the Heli bars as my head is up in clean air and I just live with some wind in the chest. Good Luck on your search.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:15 AM   #1345
SantaFeTrailer
Stromtrooper

Oddometer: 297
I have stock windscreen with Heli's. I am about 5'10" and it works out well for me.
SantaFeTrailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 07:17 AM   #1346
SantaFeTrailer
Stromtrooper

Oddometer: 297
Jason-

Could you post a better pic with that tank bag setup? How does that work for you? Thanks.

[QUOTE=Jason F.;17076657]I picked up a 98 VFR a bit short of two months ago to replace my long in the tooth Bandit. It was not that the VFR was newer but it was a better built bike than the Bandit was and I knew it would tolerate higher mileage than the Bandit would down the road.

I have put just over 4000 miles on it in the last 30 or so days and am loving it for the most part. I added some Givi Racks and bags to it and threw a Givi TankLock system tank bag on it as well. I wish I could get the air flow on it a bit better but I may have a line on another screen to try soon. I have what appears to be a double bubble and a Zero Gravity touring screen but both seem to give me a ton of turbulence around the helmet.

Anyway on to the pics.

As I got it
SantaFeTrailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 08:05 AM   #1347
Jason F.
Will Ride for Beer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaFeTrailer View Post
Jason-

Could you post a better pic with that tank bag setup? How does that work for you? Thanks.

I will copy and paste over my post on another forum regarding the tank lock setup.

Quote:
In the past I have used a variety of magnetic mount tank bags on my bikes. I have always gotten minor blemishes or scratches from frequent use but never really cared since my bikes were always well used and not free of blemishes anyway. Since I got the VFR and it is so clean and scratch free I decided to not use any magnetic bags on it. I recently purchased a Givi TankLock T480 tank bag with a mounting ring to use in its place.

For those unfamiliar with the Givi TankLock system it currently includes three different tank bags, a mounting base, and a bike specific ring that matches the bolt pattern of the fuel filler ring on your bike. They have the Large bag, T480, that 14 liters (expandable to 22 liters) and includes a top map pocket with a formed cutout for a GPS or spart phone. They have a medium bag, T489, that is 14 liters (expandable to 18 liters) and has a map pocket but no GPS holder. The last bag is the TPH02 Tank bag that is small, semi hard sided, and has a phone cutout/holder. It is 4 liters. They do not list a tank adapter ring for the 5th gen bikes but since the filler has the same bolt pattern as the 6th gen I just bought that which they do list.

I am overall very please with the quality of the bag itself and the mounting hardware. I think the side pockets are not as well designed and useful as they could be but they will work well for earplug, pen, and small item storage. I think the port or cutout for the GPS could have been made a bit larger and actually had a foam block insert that was perforated like pelican case foam inserts are that allows you to remove just what is needed to properly secure and cradle your device. Zipper quality is good and the material is thick and tough. It holds shape well and seems to be very well constructed. The mounting setup looks a little dodgy at first glance but it locks solid and I have not had the bag move around, come loose, or give me any cause for concern so far. It turns out to be far more solid than it looks really. It is very easy to remove and reinstall for fuel stops in fact I would say it is far easier than a magnetic bag since you have to line up and place the magnetic bag each time. Since the mounting point for this system are fixed you just drop it on and take off.

First the ring itself takes just minutes to install and is very straight forward. As you can see it is pretty low profile and leaves very little on the bike with the bag off.

Here is the bag itself with the GPS shown in the cutout for it. Also shown is the bottom side with the locking ring arrangement. You can see that I moved the ring all the way to the most forward position. This moves the bag as far forward on the tank as it will go.

Finally a couple shots of the bag on the bike. As you can see there is nothing touching the tank itself. Nothing to scratch the paint on the tank.

Now I wanted to be able to power the GPS on long trips and also wanted to be able to recharge my phone in the tank bag while traveling. I did not want to add a lot of wire or connections to the bike so I wanted one simple power lead from the bike to the bag so that the chargers and plugs could stay in the bag. One simple connection would allow me to unhook the bag and carry it into a building with me at a stop for security.

I purchased a waterproof power port bulkhead from an RV supply house. It is designed for mounting on the roof of an RV and is a two wire (hot and ground) setup. It came with both the port and a plug with a short bit of wire lead to hook up. I chose to mount it on the front right corner of the tank bad out of the way. I cut a small hole for the wire and the port plug. I then punched 4 small holes for the screws that would attach it to the backing plate I made. Once all bolted down it is quite secure and tucked away.

The backing Plate

The inside with the trim panel back in place and covering the backing plate.

I will be giving it a further test this weekend with a 1400 mile trip and I will report any updates. So far though every sign points to this being a very solid and useful addition to the bike.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:37 AM   #1348
Falcon86
I just work here.

Oddometer: 1,630
I've been searching for a 5th gen in my area for the longest time and have had zero luck.

I've got a line on a 6th gen ('04) with low mileage in great condition for a great price.

Do you guys think I'll get sick of the VTEC and wish I had held out for a 5th gen, or should I go for it?
Falcon86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 11:40 AM   #1349
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,934
The VTEC "issues" are really overhyped. Now honestly, I have not ridden a VTEC VFR, but from what I hear from owners is that the transition is not the big deal everyone makes it -- and if it bothers you while leaned over, simply select a gear that avoids putting the engine in that rev zone while cornering.

The bigger problem, IMO, is the maintenance on the VTEC valves is pretty nightmarish if you do it yourself and very expensive if you don't.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 11:46 AM   #1350
Joe?

Oddometer: 684
I was hesitant on the VTEC from hearing (reading) rogue stories of it being a nuisance in corners, but I haven't had an issue in 10,000 miles since owning it this year. I did get the front wheel off the ground once coming out of a toll booth by surprise, but that was my fault. I rarely get into VTEC range when riding normally, but it does come in real handy for passing I doubt you'd regret it
Joe? is offline   Reply With Quote