User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2004, 12:09 PM   #1
Emoto OP
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,884
Question R1200GS Oil Consumption?

How are you owners of the new R1200GS faring in terms of oil consumption?

I haven't been tracking it with any level of precision, but mine has probably needed over a quart in it's first 1600 miles. This is the first BMW engine that I have broken in myself, so I do not really know what to expect.

Thanks!
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 12:12 PM   #2
RinGoeS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto
How are you owners of the new R1200GS faring in terms of oil consumption?

I haven't been tracking it with any level of precision, but mine has probably needed over a quart in it's first 1600 miles. This is the first BMW engine that I have broken in myself, so I do not really know what to expect.

Thanks!

GS's love to fed oil as babies, then they grow out of it.......
RinGoeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 01:03 PM   #3
HMarc
Hoseur

Oddometer: 267
Mine has required maybe 1/2 a quart added during the first 3300 miles, but then I broke it in fairly agressively. This is my 4th new BMW and my 70th-some motorcycle. It's taken me a long time to figure it out, but it seems to be true that if you run 'em hard during break-in, they stop burning oil much sooner and seem to run a bit stronger than bikes that were babied during breakin. This seems particularly true with BMWs.

YMMV, of course.
Old 05-27-2004, 04:22 PM   #4
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,198
sounds like oil consumption is one thing that persists through to the new engine. if so then i would say it's hit and miss. some bikes have high consumption rates while others don't. some consupmtion rates decrease with mileage, others don't. some claim that your break-in procedure has an effect but the results seem mixed on that as well. there doesn't seem to be any discernible pattern. if there is, then there are just too many variables involved for it to become apparent. tolerance variances from engine to engine, different break-in procedures and different riding styles all add up to confound the issue. i read quite a bit about the subject before purchasing my 1150gs and decided to go the moderately aggressive break-in route. not abusive, mind you, but i didn't baby it either. it was all on backroads with lots of speed and throttle position changes, moderately heavy roll-ons. to much to explain in detail but i just used a progressive procedure that made sense to me after my research.

anyway, the results.... after 13,000 miles of fairly aggressive riding it still uses about the same amount of oil as the day it was new. maybe a little less (i quit being anal about it after a while), but it still drinks an average of about 1 qt per 3000 miles. there is a difference depending on how i ride it, heavy throttle and high revs and it drinks more, more sedate pace and it uses less but it averages around 1 qt/3000mi. i still check it after every ride and keep the level up half way on the sight glass but i just quite worrying about it and decided to live with it.

you may be one of the lucky ones and you'll end up with one that doesn't use oil, then again maybe not. if it's using more than 2qt/3000mi. then i'd bet it'll always use some but hopefully it'll decrease to an acceptable level in a few thousand miles. good luck.
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 05:18 PM   #5
CaribouCases
Boulder CO

Oddometer: 1,192
I don't know about the 1200GS, since I've not gotten obsessed enough to buy one, but my 1150GS just now stopped using oil at 13k miles (significant drop in consumption). I know lots of 11xxGS owners that experience the same phenomenon around 12-13k miles, so this is a consistent "character" of the boxer. It sounds like the 1200GS is going to inherit this characteristic.
CaribouCases is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 06:34 PM   #6
pebowles
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 423
My 1100S and subsequent 1150GS stopped using oil at around 4000 miles. (stopped, being a realtive term, as all internal combustion engines consume some lube oil; I mean less than a quart per 2000 miles or more, depending on how hard ridden, moon phase, astrological sign in place when oil was pumped from the ground). I break in (and this topic has been hammered here to the type of boredom that would have made an Iraqi general break, even after some idiot put a bannana up his butt) engines the way the guys who engineered em say to.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:24 PM   #7
TurboCharger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
GS thirsty on the oil

My GS with just over 7,000kms (or 4,000miles) on the clock has been chewing up the oil like there is no tomorrow. Its consumption is approx 500ml per 1,000kms and it has been concerning me as the exhaust is showing up as quite black and has over time tinted my rear left indicator lens into dark brown.

A typical sign of oil usage symptoms can be seen by the spark plug and there are well documented indications if there is a poorly adjusted mix by the colour and wetness of the spark plug. I'm yet to investigate this as my spark plug puller tool broke the plastic lug on the coil and now I'm worried I'll damage it more.

I'm not sure if the fact that I am also running a Wunderlich EFI controller has something to do with it, I would've thought that only the actual fuel efficiency would be affected by this however.

Any input would be appreciated.

Cheers!

Sydney to Oslo Riding2up - you should try it some day!
www.riding2up.net
TurboCharger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 08:42 PM   #8
hdgypsyman
Part Time Adventurer

Oddometer: 164
2007 R1200gs

I purchased my bike used last August with 6,900 miles on it. It had just had the oil changed at the 6000 mile check over. I just changed the oil before the Gillette Nationals with 11, 900 miles on it and it was still showing full in the inspection window. I think I've got a keeper...........
Old 08-19-2008, 09:09 PM   #9
savroulis
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
I believe every bike sn has different character..

many friends asked me the same thing...How am I doing with oil refills..... did the 30K (km) service, after 8K run (last oil change) and the mechanic told me that I was only 300ml low...so I guess I have a keeper as well..

my exchaust is super clean.. :)
savroulis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 08:20 AM   #10
NJ Moto
Running Free

Oddometer: 7,398
Seems like the more you baby it during break-in the more it will consume. My 05 burned quite a bit when broken in gingerly, my 07 broken-in hard doesn't burn any.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuKeu...feature=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYqF_BtIwAU
"Can we get a party to finally represent us?" - Cenk Uygur
NJ Moto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 08:51 AM   #11
Emoto OP
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,884
FWIW, my oil consumption has dropped down to very little as I've ridden the bike hard. I do add a little oil now and then, but not often and not much.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 09:03 AM   #12
blueridger
Preacher Man

Oddometer: 174
I've had mine a little less than a year and a little more than 12,000 miles.

I have had the need to put oil in once and I'm not sure it wasn't because they left it a little under at the 600 mile service.
blueridger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 09:48 AM   #13
NBeener
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,521
Mine was drinking a bit, here and there, until I hit almost /exactly/ 12,000 miles.

Now it's a teetotaler. Doesn't drink at all.

I broke it in ... hard ... lots of varied speeds, nothing approaching redline, loaded it up, ran it UP the revs and back down, twisty, mountainous roads, etc., etc.
NBeener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 10:23 AM   #14
Litre
AKA JimiChanga

Oddometer: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMarc
Mine has required maybe 1/2 a quart added during the first 3300 miles, but then I broke it in fairly agressively.
Same experience here. Another note - since I added the 1/4 - 1/2 quart, it's consumed almost none of the additional oil I've added. I have no idea if it's just pure luck or the fact that I didn't take it easy on the bike during break-in.

- 2008 BMW R1200GS Adventure: Mine
- 2003 BMW F650GS: Hers
Litre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 10:30 AM   #15
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by NBeener
Mine was drinking a bit, here and there, until I hit almost /exactly/ 12,000 miles.

Now it's a teetotaler. Doesn't drink at all.

I broke it in ... hard ... lots of varied speeds, nothing approaching redline, loaded it up, ran it UP the revs and back down, twisty, mountainous roads, etc., etc.
Well, at least one of you is a teetotaler!

Mine has barely consumed any oil since day one. Rode it like I stole it to break it in. I've never had to add oil between changes but I gather I'm luckier than many. I've heard of many bikes that burn oil initially and then stop once they're broken in.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote