Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2014, 02:10 PM   #3586
fayeslane
Rankest of amateurs

Oddometer: 1,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripodtiger View Post
The devil is tempting me.

I got a call from a bloke who is going to sell his Period 5, CB750 road race sidecar, enclosed trailer, spares.

Alec is 18 soon.He'd make a good passenger, shirley?
It's easy to make a small fortune out of motorbike racing.......................................

...............but you need to start with a large one
BMW R80G/SPD
BMW R100TIC
fayeslane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 10:59 PM   #3587
tripodtiger OP
I used to be SCRay

Oddometer: 4,675
I was wrong, it's Period 4. I was speaking with JD about it this arvo. If I can spend that much on anaother bike, maybe I should spend that much on the ones I already have. Like the 400 in boxes.

Still, I've always wanted to have a go at roadrace sidecars.

Just back from a funeral. Ken was 57. He buried his son at Christmas then found out he had cancer.

Ponder

http://tripodtiger.smugmug.com/
tripodtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 02:34 PM   #3588
fayeslane
Rankest of amateurs

Quote:
Just back from a funeral. Ken was 57. He buried his son at Christmas then found out he had cancer.

Ponder

I aim for my final thought to be "that wasn't too bad" rather than "I should have...." It's always going to be a compromise between the stuff you have to do and the stuff you want to do. 57 is a bit close for comfort though.
BMW R80G/SPD
BMW R100TIC
Old 04-04-2014, 04:18 PM   #3589
Detlef in Oz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by fayeslane View Post
I aim for my final thought to be "that wasn't too bad" rather than "I should have...." It's always going to be a compromise between the stuff you have to do and the stuff you want to do. 57 is a bit close for comfort though.
mmmm yes... so I got 5 years to get my shit together

BMW R1100R 2000, BMW F650GS 2004
KLR250 (retired), DR250 (retired), KE175 (retired)
My Bike Trips http://picasaweb.google.com.au/detlefinoz
Detlef in Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 05:42 PM   #3590
fayeslane
Rankest of amateurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detlef in Oz View Post
mmmm yes... so I got 5 years to get my shit together
Don't be too ambitious Detlef
BMW R80G/SPD
BMW R100TIC
Old 04-06-2014, 05:56 AM   #3591
trokel
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 965
Quote:
If I can spend that much on anaother bike, maybe I should spend that much on the ones I already have. Like the 400 in boxes.

Still, I've always wanted to have a go at roadrace sidecars.

Ponder
Sounds to me like a good enough reason to get it. But then again I can't seem to stop buying bikes lately so my opinion probably isn't the best one to go by. Having said that I don't regret buying any of them. In fact I am really starting to enjoy my offroad riding again now that i have gone back to a bike that is specifically designed for it, which is something I discovered a while ago when i was tearing around on a KLX with Donks up at his place. So I have him to thank for that. It was the most fun I had had on a bike in a long time (Broadford excluded).

It was a beautiful day today - So who went riding
Seeing as I need to get my fitness up for what i have planned at Broadford this year I decided to take the XR for a run out upper Huon creek road into the Chiltern Mt Pilot National park.

Unfortunately I only got as far as the entry to the park when i discovered a problem with the bike and had to turn back. When I pulled up I noticed a strange burning smell and smoke coming from the exhaust only to discover oil dripping from the bike all around the rear shock At first I thought I had blown the shock but now after preliminary investigations I am not so sure.

It wasn't all bad though cause once i got home I took the Husky out for a spin. I have been working on it frantically in an effort to have it ready for Broadford in two weeks time and although there is still a few things to do it was a thrill to ride
Here's how she looks now.

One problem I found with it is the seat is too slippery. At one point when i took off it nearly left me behind. I'm not kidding, you can see my fingernail marks in the hand grips.
I can't wait for Broadford
trokel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 01:29 AM   #3592
tripodtiger OP
I used to be SCRay

Oddometer: 4,675
I will have a think about the roadrace outfit for a while. If JD sells it first, too bad. I'll endeavour to speak with any period 4 outfit riders at Broadford, may help. Alecisn't jumping for joy at the prospect, simply a normal 'meh' reaction that he has for basically everything.

The Hooskvie looks even better now, Troy. Bastage!
No, Chris is the bastage!

I finally got the 350 running this arvo. It's been a bit of a fiddle-fest. Centred on getting the carbs somewhere close to a baseline. Heaps of hassles with leaking fuel connections, I fixed that with lots of tie wire. And then (after I finished), the fuel tap on the remote tank broke off. Luckily I'd got it to the point of idling reasonably well on both cylinders.

Biggest hassle has been the float height. The carbs are not the standard 350LC ones. I'm not 100% certain what they are off, I have been told they are RD250F or G. Definitely earlier than the 4L0 carbs that are standard. Trouble is, I am uncertain about the float height, even though I now know where to measure it from and to.

There are 2 obvious ways to do it.
Lay the carb on it's end so that the floats fall back gently against the needle. I checked that the seat was closed by attempting to blow air through the fuel tube - needle is seated if the air doesn't flow. That way, I set them at 22.4mm
The other way is fully inverted so that gravity pulls the floats down as far as possible. In that position the floats are at 21.1mm.

And I went from #25 pilots to #22.5.

I reckon I now need to shorten the throttle cables, at the adjusters at the top of the carbs. I had to wind the idle screw in to nearly seated to get the thing to start. But start it did and it seems to be idling on both cylinders ok, responding the the throttle a lot better with marginally less blue haze.

And no water leak. And no drop in the water level.

Progress.

Really can't do much else on elsie until Saturday week. Waiting, waiting....

Waiting on throttle cable bits for the 250.

I should take the XS seat down & have the new seat cover put on.

Geez, I even rode 'envy' today!

That hill looks a bit gnarly Troy. Maybe it would be easier going up through the trees?

http://tripodtiger.smugmug.com/
tripodtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 02:58 AM   #3593
fayeslane
Rankest of amateurs

Quote:

That hill looks a bit gnarly Troy. Maybe it would be easier going up through the trees?
If that hill is the one I think it is it's always pretty dodgy, worse on the downhill run. Even worse on a 1200GS
BMW R80G/SPD
BMW R100TIC
Old 04-07-2014, 08:33 PM   #3594
Idratherberiding
my KTM 950 Adventure!

Oddometer: 245
Hill.

If it is the one I think it is, it is actually very close to the Wodonga end, and your photo appears to have been taken on the return journey, due you are going up it.

It looks like the erosion is continueing there, but still navigable on the right line with a bit of confidence.
I've travelled a long way,
~ and most of the roads weren't paved!
Idratherberiding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 09:32 PM   #3595
fayeslane
Rankest of amateurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idratherberiding View Post
If it is the one I think it is, it is actually very close to the Wodonga end, and your photo appears to have been taken on the return journey, due you are going up it.

It looks like the erosion is continueing there, but still navigable on the right line with a bit of confidence.
I think you are thinking it is the same one that I am thinking it is. What does everyone else think?
BMW R80G/SPD
BMW R100TIC
Old 04-07-2014, 09:35 PM   #3596
fayeslane
Rankest of amateurs

Stanley Myrtleford road

The end of this road closest to Stanley has recently been resurfaced and there is a bit of loose gravel around. No too bad but worth knowing about.
BMW R80G/SPD
BMW R100TIC
Old 04-08-2014, 05:19 AM   #3597
trokel
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fayeslane View Post
I think you are thinking it is the same one that I am thinking it is. What does everyone else think?
I think that the road you all think is what it actually was

I went out that way when i first got the KLR and I ended up breaking the stock bash plate in one of the rough sections. Where that photo was taken wasn't the worst section but it was one of the easiest spots to stop for a pic. Given the the depth of some of the erosion gullies I reckon it is the worst I have seen it yet the little XR handled it with ease.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripodtiger
I finally got the 350 running this arvo.
Good to hear you are having a win
Old 04-08-2014, 04:02 PM   #3598
OzOldrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 238
Just thought I would drop in here and say Hi, nice to have a local thread on the site.

Myself and my wife go riding most weekends on our GS1200LC which we got back in November, a bit of an upgrade from the KLR650 which was ok in the bush but a bit cramped on the road, also have an R1200RT which is great on the road and surprisingly not bad on gravel roads but not the bike to go bush regularly on.

Would be interested to tag along for a ride sometime or if any of you guys are looking for a ride give me a yell.

We went into Geehi dam last weekend was a great day for it.

We are going to Omeo at Easter for 8 days so will have a good look around that area, spent 7 days at Armidale last Christmas with friends.

We tend to camp in a bit of comfort these days.

Hope to catch up with some of you sometime.

Bill

2013 GS1200LC
KLR650 gone WR250 gone, plus many more gone.
OzOldrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 01:19 AM   #3599
fayeslane
Rankest of amateurs

Like your style Bill - that's my type of roughing it

Keep an eye on this thread, most rides are announced here and are pretty casual, turn up and ride. These blokes are good value. Safe, funny, rude.
BMW R80G/SPD
BMW R100TIC
Old 04-09-2014, 05:18 AM   #3600
trokel
Studly Adventurer

Welcome Bill Nice setup.

I like the shot of Geehi Dam. I haven't been there before. Nearly went there on the KLR one year while at the KLR Rally in Khancoban but from memory i turned around due to bad weather. Looks like a good place to go fishing.

It must be about time for another ROAR get together.