ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-28-2009, 05:45 AM   #91
atgreg
Africatwinarama
 
atgreg's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: Sydney Australia
Oddometer: 10,013
looks like you guys had a fair bit of rain out west
__________________
1990 RD04 Africa twin 750
350,000km and still going strong
atgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 06:39 AM   #92
KLEaner
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Western, NSW, AU
Oddometer: 603
Quote:
Originally Posted by atgreg
looks like you guys had a fair bit of rain out west
37mm+ at Cobar - Bill will have to get his snorkel out!
__________________
... just took the valve cover off the KLE500 to check the valves @ 76,000km - exhaust 0.001" tighter than spec; inlets just fine.... now that'd be a bee's dick???

... was expecting 100K from this bike; now aiming for 150K ...
KLEaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 04:54 AM   #93
trokel
Studly Adventurer
 
trokel's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Albury Area
Oddometer: 963
Routes for Marysville ride

For those that didn't get my email


I have put together some possible routes and approximate distances for each from Lavington



1) THE INTERESTING ROUTE - 350 kms Total - Approx. 230kms Bitumen, 120kms Dirt ( 321kms if we don't go via Myrtleford/ Lake Buffalo) - Travel Time will vary greatly depending on conditions and riders
Yackandandah, Myrtleford, Lake Buffalo, Cheshunt, Whitfield, Mansfield, Jamieson, Woods Point, Matlock, Cumberland Junction, Marrysville.
NOTE - The dirt sections are all main dirt roads however we could encounter snow or they could be slippery if the weather is poor.


2) THE EASIER ALTERNATIVE - Mostly Bitumen 271Kms, Travel Time estimate 4hrs
Beechworth, Moyhu, Whitfield, Mansfield, Bonnie Doon, Alexandra (via Fraser National Park), Taggerty, Buxton, Marysville
NOTE - If the weather is crappy we could avoid Fraser National Park and take the bitumen for about an extra 10-15Kms


3) ANOTHER POSSIBILITY - 322kms Total - Approx. 243kms Bitumen, 79kms Dirt - Travel Time will vary greatly depending on conditions and riders
Same as 1 but instead of going to woods point we go past Jamieson and take the Eildon/Warburton Rd to Cumberland Junction then into Marysville.
NOTE - My map shows the Eildon/Warburton Rd as a main dirt road but I have not travelled on it before so cannot be sure what it is like. It looks very windy.


4) THE QUICK BORING ROUTE (For Reference) - All Bitumen 273Kms -Tavel Time estimate 3 to 3.5 hrs
Fwy to Benalla, Turn off to Swanpool, Maindample, Merton, Yarck, Taggarty, Buxton, Marysville


With options 1,2,3 we could meet with Clangers in Mansfield if that suits him.
Departure Time?
We will have to work out what time we want to get to Marysville. Happy fingers was talking about organising a ride for Saturday afternoon. So we might need to find out more about what he has planned.


DOBBO - what is the earliest you could get to Albury?

WHO is coming? And which way do you Prefer? - lets start a list . Maybe we can split into more than one group if some people don't want to do dirt.

If I get time I might do a day ride to Mansfield via Lake Buffalo soon to see exactly how long it takes. Anyone interested?

ANY other suggestions?
trokel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 06:33 AM   #94
trokel
Studly Adventurer
 
trokel's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Albury Area
Oddometer: 963
Marysville route 1

Here is an attempt to indicate the route on google maps
http://maps.google.com.au/maps/ms?oe...AQ&hl=en&msa=2

The line didn't seem to work but the placemarks give you an idea.
trokel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 07:06 AM   #95
xtz_dude
Gnarly Adventurer
 
xtz_dude's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Ballarat, Vic, Aus
Oddometer: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by trokel
Here is an attempt to indicate the route on google maps
http://maps.google.com.au/maps/ms?oe...AQ&hl=en&msa=2

The line didn't seem to work but the placemarks give you an idea.
hey im up for any challenge, they all sound like fun to me, just hoping that i'll have those dirty tires by the time i leave the day before, or i might be opting for route no 2 or 3, but hey life is pretty boring without challenges.
__________________
Current ride... 97 XTZ 660 Tenere - And I'm back... party time
Now i am back and ready to go... after a longish break, my 'Ten' is now fully operational and now fully legal, so now it is time to ketchup on what i have missed out on, and clock up the K's some more
You only have one life, live it like there is no tomorrow!
xtz_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 05:14 PM   #96
Happy Finger's
Banned
 
Happy Finger's's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Hillside Victoria
Oddometer: 1,863
its been fixed in true klr style

sticky tape




comm with motorad guy
still in negotiations
if they fail ill just weld and it will prolly be stronger anyway

Quote:

Hi Mark,
I`m very sorry to hear of both your misfortunes. Having to work on a Sunday and the failure of the left side Crash Bar.
The KLR 650 crash bars are only available for sale in the USA and Australia markets, and I have not heard of any failures at all apart from yours.
I am at a loss as to how they would snap clean in half particularly if not at a weld or join??
At the end of the day, if the crash bars have not sustained a fall whilst fitted, we will replace them.
Can you please take a picture or two showing the damage so that I can forward it to SW-Motech.
Their engineers would be very interested in this case.

Kind Regards
Michael

Happy Finger's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 06:25 PM   #97
dobbo
Studly Adventurer
 
dobbo's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Riverina
Oddometer: 973
Trokel,

DOBBO - what is the earliest you could get to Albury?

I'm working Friday and won't get home until about 6pm; however, I might trailer my bike to Beechworth that night and stay with relatives (then hook up when you pass by).
But, if I leave Wagga Saturday morning, I can be in Albury at whatever time you decide on. I cannot leave Friday.


WHO is coming? And which way do you Prefer? - lets start a list . Maybe we can split into more than one group if some people don't want to do dirt.

If I get time I might do a day ride to Mansfield via Lake Buffalo soon to see exactly how long it takes. Anyone interested?

ANY other suggestions?[/quote]

Ride 1 or 2 looks good to me.
The less tar the better!

Cheers
Dobbo
dobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 07:26 PM   #98
Happy Finger's
Banned
 
Happy Finger's's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Hillside Victoria
Oddometer: 1,863
fantastic

Quote:

Hello Mark,
Yes, the pictures have been received. We will replace them once our new stock arrives.
In the meantime please take the necessary action to ensure that you bike is safe to ride, and that it does not present a hazard to yourself.
Regards
Michael

Happy Finger's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 11:39 PM   #99
tripodtiger OP
I used to be SCRay
 
tripodtiger's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: you dont call wagga wagga wagga
Oddometer: 4,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by trokel
For those that didn't get my email


I have put together some possible routes and approximate distances for each from Lavington



1) THE INTERESTING ROUTE - 350 kms Total - Approx. 230kms Bitumen, 120kms Dirt ( 321kms if we don't go via Myrtleford/ Lake Buffalo) - Travel Time will vary greatly depending on conditions and riders
Yackandandah, Myrtleford, Lake Buffalo, Cheshunt, Whitfield, Mansfield, Jamieson, Woods Point, Matlock, Cumberland Junction, Marrysville.
NOTE - The dirt sections are all main dirt roads however we could encounter snow or they could be slippery if the weather is poor.


2) THE EASIER ALTERNATIVE - Mostly Bitumen 271Kms, Travel Time estimate 4hrs
Beechworth, Moyhu, Whitfield, Mansfield, Bonnie Doon, Alexandra (via Fraser National Park), Taggerty, Buxton, Marysville
NOTE - If the weather is crappy we could avoid Fraser National Park and take the bitumen for about an extra 10-15Kms


3) ANOTHER POSSIBILITY - 322kms Total - Approx. 243kms Bitumen, 79kms Dirt - Travel Time will vary greatly depending on conditions and riders
Same as 1 but instead of going to woods point we go past Jamieson and take the Eildon/Warburton Rd to Cumberland Junction then into Marysville.
NOTE - My map shows the Eildon/Warburton Rd as a main dirt road but I have not travelled on it before so cannot be sure what it is like. It looks very windy.


4) THE QUICK BORING ROUTE (For Reference) - All Bitumen 273Kms -Tavel Time estimate 3 to 3.5 hrs
Fwy to Benalla, Turn off to Swanpool, Maindample, Merton, Yarck, Taggarty, Buxton, Marysville


With options 1,2,3 we could meet with Clangers in Mansfield if that suits him.
Departure Time?
We will have to work out what time we want to get to Marysville. Happy fingers was talking about organising a ride for Saturday afternoon. So we might need to find out more about what he has planned.


DOBBO - what is the earliest you could get to Albury?

WHO is coming? And which way do you Prefer? - lets start a list . Maybe we can split into more than one group if some people don't want to do dirt.

If I get time I might do a day ride to Mansfield via Lake Buffalo soon to see exactly how long it takes. Anyone interested?

ANY other suggestions?
I've done the 'waypoint thing' and then the 'route thing' and then the 'recalculate route thing' on Mapsource for the 3 proposed routes, using City Navigator & Oztopo.

I don't know how to get those files into AdvRider. I'm obviously doing something wrong because it just tells me that it failed to upload the .gpx files. Maybe 'cause there is no map on AdvRider???

I also opened the files in Google Earth and it didn't plot them, just drew straight lines that don't follow any roads.

Two things of interest.
1. Both routes 1 and 3 go to 1200m. 1 August....1200m....how deep will the snow be? And which roads will be closed?


2. Even though I used Oztopo to insert a heap of waypoints where City Navigator didn't have roads, when I recalculated the route, in CN, it found the roads shown in Oztopo!! I didn't think it could do that. Still, I doens't show which ones are closed, where locked gates may be or where the greasy clay patches are that I will fall over on (in?). Nothings perfect.
__________________
rayb Crash Dummy (no testing involved)
Australian RD/RZ Owners Register

http://tripodtiger.smugmug.com/
tripodtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 03:56 AM   #100
Eso Teric
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Eso Teric's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: N.E. VIC
Oddometer: 113
hi all,

Well i have a room booked at Marysville so i will be going either way.

Trokel you mentioned something about conditions and rider ability, as you know i'm pretty "green" still, so maybe add another 5 hours, hahaha nah just kidding, but i will probably slow you all down a little .

I went to the bike shop the other day to look at more suitable tyres and the two options (other than the 606's) were 604's or k850's(?), the k850's were 60% road and 40% off, and the 604's were 70/40. The guy knows how far (and which way) i commute to work each day and he reckoned the 606's and k850's would probably make me slip out in the wet (my ride to work involves quite a few curvy and up/down hillly bits, both together even), mind you i usually leave for work an extra half hour earlier if riding, than i would if i was in the car. What would you guys recommend?

Trokel, if you remember i asked about your tyres and you have the 606's but said you had no probs with grip on wet tar, i don't know what your bike weighs but i dare say my centre of gravity may be better? Piratepete would obviously be the next best person to ask about this. I will need to make a decision, obviously before we set out .

I also enquired (today) about a service on the bike, this was at Blacklocks Lavington, I spoke to Gunther and he suggested that since i don't know the history of the bike i should consider that he does this to it:
Change all the fluids inc: brake, cooling and oil
Check the sprockets and chain
Check the valve clearances
+ the usual service
and that way start fresh
All of which I, being an ex (and sometimes frustrated) engineer fully agree with ..... BUT .... it will cost me $450 + $76 for the brake lever!!!!
Is that normal? Also i don't have a manual, yet, otherwise i could probably do all this on my own.

Now depending on the tyres i will be up for any route you guys take, if you guys want to take me, i do understand though if you guys want to blitz along without the worry of some freshman heh heh, i'm easy either way.

I can meet up anywhere or...

dobbo ...
Quote:
I'm working Friday and won't get home until about 6pm; however, I might trailer my bike to Beechworth that night and stay with relatives (then hook up when you pass by).

If your relatives won't take you i have a spare room (10km's from Beechworth). Or we could meet up at the Imperial for a meal, the chef there used to work at The Stanley pub and she is awsome, and then meet the others in the morning together, just a suggestion.

Trokel i have some days off ... 12, 13, 18, 19, 24th and the 27th of August to test the ride length time if you want a partner, i will be getting the tyres/service etc on one of those non weekend days but can work it around you, also Happy Fingers mentioned something about being at Marysville for 1130 am for a BBQ, not sure if we can realistically do that, but maybe factor that in as a time and go backwards from there especially keeping in mind what SCray said.

Kind regards and happy riding

Eso
__________________
Reprobate
- I don't see why I should waste my breath on accomodating idiocy

Anonymous
-Modern society is forcing the Darwinian process to become redundant


Eso Teric screwed with this post 07-01-2009 at 04:02 AM
Eso Teric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 11:48 PM   #101
tripodtiger OP
I used to be SCRay
 
tripodtiger's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: you dont call wagga wagga wagga
Oddometer: 4,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by trokel
Great weekend, it was good to meet some more riders from this area and chat over few beers. Top idea SCray
Thanks to everyone who made an effort to come along given the poor weather.

Clangers - Thanks for the challenging little detour to the ride. I really enjoyed it but geez that mud was hard to get off. I was surprised how much was caked up in the swingarm. I would like to explore some more of that area sometime.



Eso Teric good to hear you got home OK.
Thanks for the good weekend. I wont say 'great' only 'cause we missed out on spending much time on the bikes. It's been dry long enough, I s'pose. I was really looking forward to the tracks over toward Mathoura. Plenty of sand and clay. Just not in the pouring rain.

Had a really enjoyable evening that seemed to blow out to 'morning' very quickly. And I can't believe no one commented about the voices carrying throughout the place. Maybe they couldn't hear over the rain?



Eso, don't stress too much about your tyres. Provided your not riding through icy snow or desert sand or across greasy clay, most of the risks are handled by slowing down, having decent tread depth and maybe adjusting the tyre pressure for the situation. Remember lots of blokes rode lots of miles in all kinds of weather before anyone even thought of 'adventure' bikes.
__________________
rayb Crash Dummy (no testing involved)
Australian RD/RZ Owners Register

http://tripodtiger.smugmug.com/
tripodtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 11:58 PM   #102
tripodtiger OP
I used to be SCRay
 
tripodtiger's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: you dont call wagga wagga wagga
Oddometer: 4,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eso Teric
I also enquired (today) about a service on the bike, this was at Blacklocks Lavington, I spoke to Gunther and he suggested that since i don't know the history of the bike i should consider that he does this to it:
Change all the fluids inc: brake, cooling and oil
Check the sprockets and chain
Check the valve clearances
+ the usual service
and that way start fresh
All of which I, being an ex (and sometimes frustrated) engineer fully agree with ..... BUT .... it will cost me $450 + $76 for the brake lever!!!!
Is that normal? Also i don't have a manual, yet, otherwise i could probably do all this on my own.




Eso

Realistically, not a bad price for a full service. Perhaps it doens't yet include the fluids?

Jobs to do yourself:
Fluids & filters, including air filter & fork oil.
Chain & sprockets
inspect the steering head, swing arm & wheel bearings - repack or replace as required.
replace the tubes when you replace the tyres
lubricate your lever pivots & any cables
run over all the nuts & bolts that you can find. One advantage of this is you then find out which tools you can leave at home.

Buy a manual so you can do the valves yourself but, in the meantime get the clearances and the injection sorted by a reliable mechanic that knows the F650.






& paint that bloody seat!!!

see you in a couple of squeeks.

__________________
rayb Crash Dummy (no testing involved)
Australian RD/RZ Owners Register

http://tripodtiger.smugmug.com/
tripodtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 02:07 AM   #103
Detlef in Oz
Studly Adventurer
 
Detlef in Oz's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Wagga Wagga Australia
Oddometer: 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eso Teric
I Also i don't have a manual, yet, otherwise i could probably do all this on my own.Eso
Hi, I have a set of manuals on DVD if interested.

I do my own services eg filters etc but looking at Blacklocks doing the valves & tuning.
__________________
Detlef

BMW R1100R 2000, BMW F650GS 2004
KLR250 (retired), DR250 (retired), KE175 (retired)
My Bike Trips http://picasaweb.google.com.au/detlefinoz
Detlef in Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 02:43 AM   #104
Eso Teric
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Eso Teric's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: N.E. VIC
Oddometer: 113
hey all,

Thanx for the info SCray, some things there that i honestly hadn't even thought about (fork oil being one of them).

Quote:
Hi, I have a set of manuals on DVD if interested.
Hi, and Yes please
Will be very happy to pay for the material costs and postage etc, maybe PM me and we could sort that out?

Also glad to hear that the $450 isn't that unreasonable.

Kind regards

Eso
__________________
Reprobate
- I don't see why I should waste my breath on accomodating idiocy

Anonymous
-Modern society is forcing the Darwinian process to become redundant

Eso Teric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 06:40 AM   #105
trokel
Studly Adventurer
 
trokel's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Albury Area
Oddometer: 963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eso Teric
hi all,

Well i have a room booked at Marysville so i will be going either way.

Trokel you mentioned something about conditions and rider ability, as you know i'm pretty "green" still, so maybe add another 5 hours, hahaha nah just kidding, but i will probably slow you all down a little .

I went to the bike shop the other day to look at more suitable tyres and the two options (other than the 606's) were 604's or k850's(?), the k850's were 60% road and 40% off, and the 604's were 70/40. The guy knows how far (and which way) i commute to work each day and he reckoned the 606's and k850's would probably make me slip out in the wet (my ride to work involves quite a few curvy and up/down hillly bits, both together even), mind you i usually leave for work an extra half hour earlier if riding, than i would if i was in the car. What would you guys recommend?

Trokel, if you remember i asked about your tyres and you have the 606's but said you had no probs with grip on wet tar, i don't know what your bike weighs but i dare say my centre of gravity may be better? Piratepete would obviously be the next best person to ask about this. I will need to make a decision, obviously before we set out .

I also enquired (today) about a service on the bike, this was at Blacklocks Lavington, I spoke to Gunther and he suggested that since i don't know the history of the bike i should consider that he does this to it:
Change all the fluids inc: brake, cooling and oil
Check the sprockets and chain
Check the valve clearances
+ the usual service
and that way start fresh
All of which I, being an ex (and sometimes frustrated) engineer fully agree with ..... BUT .... it will cost me $450 + $76 for the brake lever!!!!
Is that normal? Also i don't have a manual, yet, otherwise i could probably do all this on my own.

Now depending on the tyres i will be up for any route you guys take, if you guys want to take me, i do understand though if you guys want to blitz along without the worry of some freshman heh heh, i'm easy either way.

I can meet up anywhere or...

dobbo ...

If your relatives won't take you i have a spare room (10km's from Beechworth). Or we could meet up at the Imperial for a meal, the chef there used to work at The Stanley pub and she is awsome, and then meet the others in the morning together, just a suggestion.

Trokel i have some days off ... 12, 13, 18, 19, 24th and the 27th of August to test the ride length time if you want a partner, i will be getting the tyres/service etc on one of those non weekend days but can work it around you, also Happy Fingers mentioned something about being at Marysville for 1130 am for a BBQ, not sure if we can realistically do that, but maybe factor that in as a time and go backwards from there especially keeping in mind what SCray said.

Kind regards and happy riding

Eso
I have been quite happy with the D606 both on and off road, however they are still quite new. How they handle on the bitumen after they start to get worn down is yet to be seen. Knobbies tend to wear a bit uneven on the black stuff but I don't have to ride my bike to work each day so it doesn't worry me. The mitas tyres E07 and E09 are a bit dearer but seam to wear well on the road. I ran the E07 at first because it is a good 50/50 tyre and I was reluctant to put a Knobby on due to concerns about wear and handling but i found the E07 to be lacking when it came to muddy conditions. However as SCray said you can accomodate for that by reducing your speed. Now looking back I should have put the D606 on right from the start because it suits what I want to do. But this is something you only truly find out by trying them for yourself. Everyone has different expectations.


As for the ride we will probably have to see what the weather is doing leading up to the weekend as this may have a big impact on which way we go. I have raised the question in the Marysville Thread as to what is planned so we can try and work out what time we want to get there. If we take the easy way there then some of us may take a more interesting way home.

UNC where are you? what are your thoughts?


Happy

Nice job with the crash bars, that tape looks like it should fix the problem no worries. Although I would have used black tape.
trokel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014