Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2009, 09:42 PM   #76
Gezerbike
Hey Rocky...........

Oddometer: 3,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackd
I was hoping that he would post a recent pic of his bars - I'm looking for ideas. I just scored a stock BMW clock for my GS but it won't fit on mine because I put bar risers on last season and now the stock hardware doesn't work. Darn.
I had the same problem when I installed a set of Touratech risers on my PD. So I went out a got some longer bolts from Mcmaster Carr, a couple of 1" spacers and it's back in business. Impossible to tell it from stock. Still have a box full of those bolts. Happy to send you a couple.

Mike

2012 R 1200 GS RALLYE
Gezerbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 07:26 AM   #77
jackd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,028
Wow. This is one area where the oilheads rock. A simple screw in canister that takes 2 minutes to do.

T.[/quote]

Another comment like that and we of the Airhead world will start to suspect you of not being a true convert back to the fold, Tom. You must only say things that put Airheads in a superior light.

Thanks for the offer, Gezerbike - but the bolts that Wunderlich provided are more than long enough. What I need is something in the realm of what the factory put out - a bar clamp bolt with an integrated insulator on top to mount the clock. It's quite the bit of over engineering that they put together to mount a tiny clock. Someone at the factory had a little too much time on their hands.
jackd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 07:41 AM   #78
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,419
BMW dropped the ball where the oil filter is concerned. Kindof ironic that a bike famous for being 'workable on the side of the road' takes dial calipers and calculators to figure out how to change the oil.

My bike had a shim in it when I got it, so I used it on oil changes. I finally got around to checking my canister depth and found that I'm off the chart on the low end. Makes sense, it's really hard for me to replace the o-ring, like it doesn't want to fit. I was running with a shim and didn't need...bike ran just fine and I'm still using it anyways. If it works, why mess with it? Definitely an annoyance, not a big deal.

There are conversions available to run modern spin on filters but they're not something you'd want to do serious offroading with. Of course, a 400+ pound bike isn't something you'd want to do serious offroading with either, but we do anyways.

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 07:57 AM   #79
jackd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,028
Too Compressed?

Are you saying that your measurement is at the small end of the range and that you have chosen to run with a shim anyway? I guess that you could do this as long as you were careful about not destroying the white o-ring when you bolted the cover back on. Your filter installation would be a whole lot easier if you discarded that shim though - no fight to get it back together or the worry of 'Is my o-ring crushed?'.
jackd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 08:16 AM   #80
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,419
I checked the canister depth, without shim, in several places and got a pretty consistent .085", or ~2.2mm. According to Anton's site, that's less than anything he's ever measured(2.7 on the low end).

If something seems wonky, I generally assume there's something wrong with me rather than the tools so I don't want to arbitrarily remove a shim--that I know is working--until I get to Datchew's tech day and get a different set of eyes to look at it.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, seems pretty straightforward though. My old o-ring looks compressed. My engine doesn't run hot. I didn't have excessive swarf on the drain plug. It'll hold til next month.

I'm no master airhead mechanic but what robsmoto said sounds like some plain common sense:

Quote:
There are some airheads that have had failures attributable to poor oil circulation due to improper filter installation - this from postings by various gurus such as Oak, Tom Cutter, Ted Porter, SnowBum, Anton, etc.

There are many more airheads on the road that haven't failed.

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 08:28 AM   #81
bmwblake
upside down parker

Oddometer: 3,274
i added that to your list so that your garage floor wont have a big oil puddle like mine once did.

the manual i have here states 2.25l for change with a filter but that seems low to me. i'd cross reference with the clymer or haynes, or just check with the dipstick.

the oil filter issue is one that i often chuckle about. i agree with bgood, for a bike known for being reliable and easy to work on it's hilarious that we can discuss changing the oil filter for hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infracaninophile
Blake:

I hadn't even thought of that. I'll give them a check and add it to my list.

Any input on oil quantity? 3 Quarts sound right with an oil filter change?

t.
bmwblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 09:28 AM   #82
Curvy
Lost Planet Airman

Oddometer: 8,008
It does my heart good to see that you found a honest seller who wasn't trying to pawn off something with known issues like a broken ring,scored cylinder,worn timing chain,balky thrid gear,etc,etc on a trusting soul.

Best wishes on your wife's full recovery from the accident.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:06 AM   #83
Infracaninophile OP
Finding My Way..

Oddometer: 7,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curvy
It does my heart good to see that you found a honest seller who wasn't trying to pawn off something with known issues like a broken ring,scored cylinder,worn timing chain,balky thrid gear,etc,etc on a trusting soul.

Best wishes on your wife's full recovery from the accident.
Curvy:

I am really tired of you smearing my name on that deal. If I need to I will start a new thread in Jo Momma and you can take all the shots you want at me. I will present my side of the story and you can state your's. Then everyone (who might care) can form their own opinions. You've been discrediting my name in multiple threads for a long time now. This thread is about my GS rebuild. Start your own if you like.

But a mini-version of the facts from my side are:

1. I sold Curvy a 1974 (73?) Moto Guzzi T3.

2. Curvy bought it sight unseen.

3. The bike was cosmetically very nice and mechanically good.

4. I had owned the bike only about 4 months and had done nothing to it other than fluid changes, spark plugs, etc. I.E I have not ever been inside the engine.

5. I only rode the bike around town for the summer and it just wasn't my thing. Maybe 500 miles total since I bought it.

6. I decided to sell it and placed an ad on Advrider.

7. Curvy bought the bike "AS IS" and sight unseen. He paid a good price for it. He drove over from Kansas to get it. I told him I was leery about selling a bike unseen until he had seen it and ridden it. He wanted the bike. He paid a deposit for the bike in advance of seeing it.

8. Once he got the bike home, a 30+ year old, air-cooled, Italian motorcycle, with (IIRC) 35K+ miles, he found the items he mentioned above wrong: a broken ring, clunky 3rd gear (which he was informed of), and other things listed above.

9. These are things I did not know and could not have known as I had never been inside the engine. The bike started and ran fine. 3rd gear was clunky and needed a very positive push when shifting. I felt the bike did need a top end refresh and told him that at time of purchase or sale. The bike was very rideable and I can find 10 people from the local Guzzi club who I routinely rode around town with who thought the bike was great, even after riding it.

10. I even tried to put Curvy in touch with the previous owner in Denver who had owned the bike for 30+ years and who had done all previous work so Curvy could find out if the PO told me of this damage. If he has not done so, I can still find the previous owner (I think, as I know where he works in Denver) and get HIS statement that he also did not know these things. Because I would have had them fixed if I had known just for my own sake. I never have bikes in my garage that have any kind of issues. Even small ones.

11. Curvy was given a ton of paper, some of which did have water damage, showing receipts for much of the work the PO had done to bet the bike fixed up. It has been his daily runner and he then spiffed it up before selling to me.

12. Curvy did a top to bottom restore of the bike in an excellent thread here on Old Skool and took a few shots at me as being dishonest.

I have told Curvy multiple times via PM that I am sorry his bike had issues. I did not know of them at the time of sale. He could have inspected the bike or had it taken to a shop for inspection prior to purchase. He didn't even ride the bike at the time of purchase. He started it, sat on it, and looked it over carefully in my garage. I took the bike out and rode it up and down the street prior to loading it onto his trailer. He had the opportunity to do so.

I can name at least 5-6 people currently on AdvRider or the Colorado Dualsporters list that I have sold used bikes to and you will not find anyone with problems. This includes a 98 and 99 KLR50, a R1100GS with 100K+ miles (to Neduro), a KTM950 to a denver Advrider, a ST1300 to a local COS Advrider, and others if I think back from enough. I am known for being a guy who sells bikes in good/great shape and takes very good care of my stuff.

This was a case of a new owner who was upset because he had to spend more money than he planned to repair these items. However, IMHO, when you take into consideration the total amount of $$ he poured into the bike to restore it, I don't see these items as being substantial. But I do not know what it cost to repair these items. Moto Guzzi's are wacky bikes even by BMW standards and one should know going in that there will be issues.

Okay Curvy, go ahead and tell everyone what a dishonest prick I am. And your comments above about "Hope your wife recovers fully" must mean that you think it's funny that I was hurt and lost a year of riding? I'm sure that is not what you meant as being run down by a car and having life long medical issues is not funny for either of us.

Your turn. You have a much better way with words than I do.

Tom

Infracaninophile screwed with this post 02-10-2009 at 11:18 AM
Infracaninophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 11:49 AM   #84
monzablue
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Whoa! Hope this thread gets back on track - it had been shaping up to be a good one. I'll keep reading, though; I'm a sucker for maintenance pics.
monzablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 12:22 PM   #85
Curvy
Lost Planet Airman

Oddometer: 8,008
I don't find any of it to be even the least bit funny Tom.
Old 02-10-2009, 12:39 PM   #86
Infracaninophile OP
Finding My Way..

Oil Thread - O-Ring

Wow. I've spent the entire morning reading a ton of threads about oil pressure, o-ring depth, and Anton's great article

Antons here: http://largiader.com/tech/filters/canister.html

The most useful thread I found was started by Datchew and is here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...3&page=1&pp=40

Once I can stand on my own 2 feet again I am going to go out and measure my bike and then determine what is needed. If I don't need the metal o-ring or not and likely to lose the paper gasket on the door.

Again, the knowledge here is just astounding.

Tom
Old 02-10-2009, 04:34 PM   #87
opposedcyljunkie
Heavyweight Boxer

Oddometer: 4,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil
I checked the canister depth, without shim, in several places and got a pretty consistent .085", or ~2.2mm. According to Anton's site, that's less than anything he's ever measured(2.7 on the low end).

2.2mm is unheard of! Off the top of my bald head, I would think you shouldn't be using a shim and will even need to use a paper gasket.
05 Yamaha Fazer FZS-1000
07 R1200GS
opposedcyljunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 05:16 PM   #88
Infracaninophile OP
Finding My Way..

An Improvement

Have been looking for luggage for my bike and was really considering the Caribou Cases. But a friend found this link today and I called and made a deal with the seller for a pair of black Jesse's with mounting hardware for $600.

Seller says he bought a 94 bumblebee GS from a friend in the spring of 2007. The former owner is a friend of his who bought them new. Said previous owner took one 1+ week trip with them and then bought a new 1200GS. Seller took them off the bike a few months after he got it and put oem system cases on it as he just uses the bike for commuting and local stuff. Cases have been sitting on shelf since 2007.

Says the bags have never been crashed, have all mounting hardware and instructions and receipts. He was heading out of town so we have a verbal deal and will finish the transfer of $$ for boxes in a few days when he gets back.

Sounds like a good deal. I've had Jesse's before on my oilhead and loved them. I've also heard that the mounting system for the airheads is not great. Any feedback?

Pics:

Craigslist ad from San Luis Obispo in CA:

http://slo.craigslist.org/mcy/1016100821.html

Thanks,

Tom

PS: Have a nice blue cast on my right leg for at least the next 3 weeks. Then likely to get a "franken foot" walking cast for 3 more.
Old 02-11-2009, 05:24 PM   #89
SUVslayer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 778
I've got Jesse's on my 93 GS and think they're great. The mounting hardware goes on a little hard, but once on they are very sturdy - MUCH more so than the system cases. Oddly, I have developed a hairline fracture in one of the seams that I need to have welded. Otherwise, good stuff!
SUVslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 05:26 PM   #90
Infracaninophile OP
Finding My Way..

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUVslayer
I've got Jesse's on my 93 GS and think they're great. The mounting hardware goes on a little hard, but once on they are very sturdy - MUCH more so than the system cases. Oddly, I have developed a hairline fracture in one of the seams that I need to have welded. Otherwise, good stuff!
SUV: So if I have issues can I count on you for a picture or two of the mounts? The Jesse mounts for my 03 GS were a pain and had a ton of parts.

Thanks,

Tom